closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 54 of 354 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,700 of 17673

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I have a hankering for an older GS to add to the R9T in the garage.

Budget around £4K.

Has anyone any experience with the R1100 or 1150 GSs?

Short in stature so I’d probably consider one of the suspension lowering kits that drop the bike 30mm if anyone has direct experience?
    Isn't there a very clean one on SC at the moment? Think it's about 5k but only about 21k miles. I was considering it as a daily to keep my current GS corrosion free.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Had a little sit on one of these yesterday at the local dealer, very impressed. If things go how I hope in the next month or two and subject to test ride I think I'm going to get one...had my Striple 11 years now and whilst it still rides as good as the day I bought it and I still really like it think the Speed Twin ticks a lot of boxes for me as a potential change

Get a test ride, put it in sport mode and grab a handful

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Isn't there a very clean one on SC at the moment? Think it's about 5k but only about 21k miles. I was considering it as a daily to keep my current GS corrosion free.
    If you mean mine it went to a fellow Tz’er yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    If you mean mine it went to a fellow Tz’er yesterday
    Was a very good bike, I sent to a friend but no luck. Hope you enjoy the new one.

Was a very good bike, I sent to a friend but no luck. Hope you enjoy the new one.
    I saw this. Someone got a nice bike.

However, I was thinking of the older R1100 or 1150 GS. I like the simplicity and general ugliness of the earlier bikes!

Loving it after a short ride in the pouring rain!

Master
    Very very nice and some tasteful upgrades. Will you go full system or change the exhaust?
    Cheers, I love the HP Billet Pack!
    Re zorst: Unlike the 1200, the 1250 fuels really well out of the box as standard. The mid-range from 3.5k rpm to 6k rpm is so much stronger, and it catapults the 1250. My hearing is already affected slightly in the right ear from too loud zorsts from earlier sportsbikes when younger, and I'm quite happy to recoup some beer money from my EU3 Akra which I took off the 1200 before sale. So the standard exhaust on the 1250 will stay.

I think as every newer generation comes to market, it makes a lesser argument for hilltopping.
    Brilliant concept to be fair especially the self learning software.
    I'd like to decat my CBthou, but by when I do the maths, £650 for headers, £350 for HT, and a few quid for odds and bits, the end doesn't justify the spend. HT recon they can squeeze another 8bhp's out of it....but tbh the 143 it's already got seems ok to me.
    So agree, not much point in looking for more, especially as the manufaturers are mostly on top of the dips in the rev ranges..
    Last edited by Tifa; 10th June 2019 at 19:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    I think as every newer generation comes to market, it makes a lesser argument for hilltopping.
    Brilliant concept to be fair especially the self learning software.
    I'd like to decat my CBthou, but by when I do the maths, £650 for headers, £350 for HT, and a few quid for odds and bits, the end doesn't justify the spend. HT recon they can squeeze another 8bhp's out of it....but tbh the 143 it's already got seems ok to me.
    So agree, not much point in looking for more, especially as the manufaturers are mostly on top of the dips in the rev ranges..

Whilst Hilltop have a lot of fans and reckon that the bikes run so much better... having seen before and after dyno curves, I'm disappointed that the engineered in dip in the torque curve to get the bike through the drive-by noise test is still there. Surely it would be best to smooth it out completely?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Whilst Hilltop have a lot of fans and reckon that the bikes run so much better... having seen before and after dyno curves, I'm disappointed that the engineered in dip in the torque curve to get the bike through the drive-by noise test is still there. Surely it would be best to smooth it out completely?
    What 'drive-by noise test' are you referring to?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    What 'drive-by noise test' are you referring to?

R
    https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ...7L0024:DE:HTML

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Though I'm struggling to find the right reference...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Cheers, I love the HP Billet Pack!
    Re zorst: Unlike the 1200, the 1250 fuels really well out of the box as standard. The mid-range from 3.5k rpm to 6k rpm is so much stronger, and it catapults the 1250. My hearing is already affected slightly in the right ear from too loud zorsts from earlier sportsbikes when younger, and I'm quite happy to recoup some beer money from my EU3 Akra which I took off the 1200 before sale. So the standard exhaust on the 1250 will stay.
    You may even get more than you expected for the EU3 Akra as the EU4 doesn't have removable baffles and seems quite pointless imho.

I love the sound of the Akra and commute in central London so would keep it on the next bike but if you don't already these are very worthwhile. I use the 'filtered plugs'.

https://www.ultimateear.com/categories/motorcyclist

Yep, the drive by is a 'catch all'
    Exhaust
    Mechanical
    Induction roar
    Tyre noise.
    Everything
    Going to be fun when/if they adopt the 'noise' cameras eh?

Decided to pull the trigger and picked up a Rallye HP with the Billet pack and all the trinkets. My 3rd GS! New 1250 motor is super smooth compared to the outgoing 1200 and pulls quite a bit stronger, even when compared to my 1200 which was Hilltopped. Had never ridden the 1250 until collection today! Now to get it run in by Wednesday...

Gorgeous.

Love these.

They are mahoosive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the pleasure of having this beast for a few days.

Loved it.

I think an R Nine T is definitely in the hit list.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Yep, the drive by is a 'catch all'
    Exhaust
    Mechanical
    Induction roar
    Tyre noise.
    Everything
    Going to be fun when/if they adopt the 'noise' cameras eh?
    I'm annoyed now that I can't find a clear reference.

Not only do exhausts have to meet a certain noise limit for type approval, the total noise emitted by the bike going past at a given speed/gear has to be within certain limits too.

That's why stock HD "silencers" were actually significantly quieter than they needed to be for static tests; almost welded shut (along with the intake, the fuelling, the move to quieter o-ring chains, low rolling resistance rock hard tyres and even the adoption of sealed wheel bearings) as they needed to do all they could to allow them to stay within the total moving noise envelope whilst retaining the relatively noisy air cooled engine.

Looking at virtually all dyno curves, you'll notice a dip in the torque curve that conveniently corresponds to the revs that the bike is doing at the test speed; it's engineered in to minimise the noise for the test.

The noise cameras will be very interesting as you can get a lot of bikes and cars that meet all the type approval tests perfectly but are hellish loud at high revs/speeds; meeting the letter of the rules rather than the spirit of them; the electronic valves in the exhaust can give you an almost sealed shut exhaust at low revs and a wide open one at high revs, all totally legally

Had the 500 mile service on the Triumph Street Scrambler today.

Apparently I have to keep running it in according to the instructions on the sticker on the tank; the sticker that I peeled off.

It was little use as it had a graphic of a rev counter showing where the needle should get to. Which would be fine if the bike had a rev counter to look at.

The manual is just as useless as it says not to exceed 3/4 of maximum speed, but it doesn't say if that's engine speed or road speed. But again as it says what neither maximum RPM or the top speed are it doesn't matter.

I think I'll just keep riding it normally, but hopefully in slightly less soggy conditions than today.

Had the 500 mile service on the Triumph Street Scrambler today.

Apparently I have to keep running it in according to the instructions on the sticker on the tank; the sticker that I peeled off.

It was little use as it had a graphic of a rev counter showing where the needle should get to. Which would be fine if the bike had a rev counter to look at.

The manual is just as useless as it says not to exceed 3/4 of maximum speed, but it doesn't say if that's engine speed or road speed. But again as it says what neither maximum RPM or the top speed are it doesn't matter.

I think I'll just keep riding it normally, but hopefully in slightly less soggy conditions than today.
    Of course, it's all horrocks anyway (at least, according to some)!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Of course, it's all horrocks anyway (at least, according to some)!
    I'd completely agree, up to a point. I typically just try and avoid going mad for the first few hundred miles (up to the first oil change) and avoid labouring the engine always. Modern manufacturing tolerances mean that the running in procedures of the 1940's are no longer relevant, but it's best not to take the piss.

I seem to recall with my Hayabusa I had to keep it below 140mph for the first 500 miles then slowly increase up to the 1000 mile point then I didn't have to hold back. I didn't struggle to stay below 140...

BTW, I was at serious risk of doing an LTF today as the Scrambler 1200 XE looks absolutely gorgeous...

I'd completely agree, up to a point. I typically just try and avoid going mad for the first few hundred miles (up to the first oil change) and avoid labouring the engine always. Modern manufacturing tolerances mean that the running in procedures of the 1940's are no longer relevant, but it's best not to take the piss.

I seem to recall with my Hayabusa I had to keep it below 140mph for the first 500 miles then slowly increase up to the 1000 mile point then I didn't have to hold back. I didn't struggle to stay below 140...

BTW, I was at serious risk of doing an LTF today as the Scrambler 1200 XE looks absolutely gorgeous...
    Glad to see that we now have a term for it... it's easily done, too, so congratulations on your restraint

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Glad to see that we now have a term for it... it's easily done, too, so congratulations on your restraint
    So far

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you like bikes you will love this.

Freddie Spencer at 18,an early go pro camera,the sound of those bikes and the corkscrew.

Best watched on YouTube.

Master
    I'm annoyed now that I can't find a clear reference.

Not only do exhausts have to meet a certain noise limit for type approval, the total noise emitted by the bike going past at a given speed/gear has to be within certain limits too.

That's why stock HD "silencers" were actually significantly quieter than they needed to be for static tests; almost welded shut (along with the intake, the fuelling, the move to quieter o-ring chains, low rolling resistance rock hard tyres and even the adoption of sealed wheel bearings) as they needed to do all they could to allow them to stay within the total moving noise envelope whilst retaining the relatively noisy air cooled engine.

Looking at virtually all dyno curves, you'll notice a dip in the torque curve that conveniently corresponds to the revs that the bike is doing at the test speed; it's engineered in to minimise the noise for the test.

The noise cameras will be very interesting as you can get a lot of bikes and cars that meet all the type approval tests perfectly but are hellish loud at high revs/speeds; meeting the letter of the rules rather than the spirit of them; the electronic valves in the exhaust can give you an almost sealed shut exhaust at low revs and a wide open one at high revs, all totally legally

I would love a demo on the noise camera’s on my little Kr1s, at flyby speeds eg upto 70 in top its below 6K and burbling like a gud un. At aggressive riding eg 50mph in second its doing 10.5K the power valves are open its running sub 20 mpg and it sounds like any other screaming stroker. Its not Harley bleeding ears loud , but its punchy!

Ps did I mention the intake roar! Now that would be my KH 250 triple, never have I heard a bike make more noise from the carbs than the zorst!

Master

Acoustic cameras

Apologies if posted earlier
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48564995

Steve

My new GS with a mate’s Pikes Peak Multistrada

My new GS with a mate’s Pikes Peak Multistrada

Lovely, Matt! Big difference?

Cheers Tony. Not had the chance to do many miles yet, but smoother, faster, quicker turning, and a bewildering array of electronic gadgets! 6 weeks until I head to the south of France with mates

Only thing it needs is an akrapovic can...

Cheers Tony. Not had the chance to do many miles yet, but smoother, faster, quicker turning, and a bewildering array of electronic gadgets! 6 weeks until I head to the south of France with mates

Only thing it needs is an akrapovic can...
    You might want to tap up squareparts in that case...

You might want to tap up squareparts in that case...
    I’ve pm’d him already but not heard back yet. Calling spareparts?! You were a strong influence for my impulse buy...

Master
    I’ve pm’d him already but not heard back yet. Calling spareparts?! You were a strong influence for my impulse buy...
    Sorry Matt! Been caught up with stuff the past couple days. Just PM'd you back. The EU3 Akra is the one you want as it has the removable baffles. The EU4 version had them welded in!

Sorry Matt! Been caught up with stuff the past couple days. Just PM'd you back. The EU3 Akra is the one you want as it has the removable baffles. The EU4 version had them welded in!
    Perfect thanks

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I would love a demo on the noise camera’s on my little Kr1s, at flyby speeds eg upto 70 in top its below 6K and burbling like a gud un. At aggressive riding eg 50mph in second its doing 10.5K the power valves are open its running sub 20 mpg and it sounds like any other screaming stroker. Its not Harley bleeding ears loud , but its punchy!

Ps did I mention the intake roar! Now that would be my KH 250 triple, never have I heard a bike make more noise from the carbs than the zorst!
    Yeah, 2t's vs 4t's...no comparison noise wise. I guess the stinkwheels firing twice as often don't give them a chance.
    I too had a KH250. It was on it's last legs, and as cheap as chips when I bought it. An early dynojet type mod enabled me to drop a few jet sizes. Went like a scalded cat for a short while before I holed a piston. ISTR I actually gave it away to get rid.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    How will these 'noise cams' work. Usually you will be on a public road and I'd assume there will also be ambient noise, and also noise from other road users. Realistically, I can only imagine evidence being accepted in a court if the plod can demonstrate there was no one else in the vicinity at the time you were 'noised', otherwise I cant see how they can attribute a noise over x db directly to you. Unless they use a mobile type of device and wait for the noisy bikes or cars to pass then pull them up later down the road and do a test at roadside?

Stuart

There are some very, very precise unidirectional mics about.
    Fairly easy to target the rear of a vehicle with the help of ANPR for accurate target measurement I'd have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    How will these 'noise cams' work. Usually you will be on a public road and I'd assume there will also be ambient noise, and also noise from other road users. Realistically, I can only imagine evidence being accepted in a court if the plod can demonstrate there was no one else in the vicinity at the time you were 'noised', otherwise I cant see how they can attribute a noise over x db directly to you. Unless they use a mobile type of device and wait for the noisy bikes or cars to pass then pull them up later down the road and do a test at roadside?

Stuart
    From https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...noise-cameras/

Master
    Wileeeey interesting link thanks for posting

Steve

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Mmm, i’m still not convinced on the accuracy that can be obtained. If two bikes say, are close together, one loud and the other not, how will they decide who the offender is. Also, if you have a loud can and get a ticket, whats stopping you from fitting a quieter one and saying it was the car/bike a few yards away, or another road user. I get directional mics, I use them when filming to mask unwanted sound, they work reasonably well, but certainly not point and shoot accuracy. Anyways, time will tell I suppose.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Mmm, i’m still not convinced on the accuracy that can be obtained. If two bikes say, are close together, one loud and the other not, how will they decide who the offender is. Also, if you have a loud can and get a ticket, whats stopping you from fitting a quieter one and saying it was the car/bike a few yards away, or another road user. I get directional mics, I use them when filming to mask unwanted sound, they work reasonably well, but certainly not point and shoot accuracy. Anyways, time will tell I suppose.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Good point.
    Two bikes close to each other would be nigh on impossible.
    Would make for a very expensive case for the prosecution.

I could see it working if the camera identified a potential loud vehicle, and the police then paid the registered keeper a visit to inspect the exhaust for the BS stamp (or whatever it is these days) or signs of tampering, but I can't see them having the police effort spare to do that when they're not able to investigate burglaries etc

Perhaps it just flags the number plate for next time the driver passes an ANPR car (off the throttle and clutch in) so the police can pull him over?

I do agree it is difficult to enforce even if get the right vehicle as I used to have a bike with open carbs that would probably have failed a noise test on induction noise alone.

That said the number of ridiculously noisy cars and bikes I see (mostly high end) might well be stopped / reduced if they fear a ticket or can't simply flick a switch when needed to quieten it down.

Craftsman
    ooo, a bike thread. Didn't see this before .

Ive got 4 tucked away in my workshop.

An early GSXR1100 slabside that is in the line for a complete referb
    My so called daily ride , a Ducati Hyperstrada that in truth hasn't been out this year
    A Ducati 1098 R which being that model is a total animal to ride
    A Yamaha OW01 which is race spec and has just been rebuilt .

Never get around to riding them nowadays

Noise cameras. Another reason to live somewhere else.... don’t recon I’ll stay in the UK much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post

My so called daily ride , a Ducati Hyperstrada that in truth hasn't been out this year

A slabbie AND an OW01?
    I hate you.

Pic please!

Master
    Blog Entries

That’s a crime like leaving a tiger locked in a cage,any photos?

I used to lust after the 0W01. +3 on pics please!!

You really do need to be posting pics. Modern classics like those are my thing. ...

Blog Entries
    I could see it working if the camera identified a potential loud vehicle, and the police then paid the registered keeper a visit to inspect the exhaust for the BS stamp (or whatever it is these days) or signs of tampering, but I can't see them having the police effort spare to do that when they're not able to investigate burglaries etc
    Rather like speed enforcement cameras generate a letter asking you to pay up, so could the 'noise' equipment I presume.

The onus would then be on the registered keeper to contest it. Good luck with that one!!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Latest arrival, another Bonneville T120.

My second T120 (another one of those on the list of 'bikes I regretted selling') and it'll nicely fill the gap between sports bike and trail bike, as well as providing a 2-up tourer.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Placed a deposit on this bad boy yesterday at a specialist dealer near to me.

It’s a 1995 R1100GS with 9,000 miles on the clock. To be honest it looks brand new. I’ve been hankering after a nice oil head GS since I got my R9T and I’ve paid a premium for the unbelievable condition of this.

Now I just need to decide whether to liquidate some watches, the R9T or keep everything. There’s just enough room in the garage!