closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 50 of 358 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,500 of 17882

Thread: More bike related stuff

Talking of 'bike-related stuff', IMO the best tool you can have for your bikes is a bike lift.

Whether it's DIY servicing, repairs, farkeling or just a thorough clean up, the investment is well worth the cost.

(They also make a great workbench too, currently being used for cutting worktops for our kitchen refurb).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I can’t disagree although I really should have bought a slightly larger one!

When I needed a lift for my Sportster, I employed my local workforce to make a wooden one

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I agree Gyp, I’ve ‘traded down’ power wise as found litre sports bikes frustrating on the road. 100-120 bhp means you can use it all without doing silly speeds.

Saying that, I do fancy another rsv1000r factory

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    You may not be a fan but I think they definitely hit their target market.

The majority of British motorcyclists are older, rounder and less mobile than they'd like to be, and often have bodies that are slightly "distressed" from mistakes when they were younger, slimer, mobile and gung ho. Bikes that are easier to handle, more comfortable and more easily maneuvered are somewhat appealing.

For many too, speed isn't (or no longer is) the ultimate goal, and I tend to apply a 50%-70% speed rule to motorcycle enjoyability. If a bike has a top speed of 100mph, it'll feel nice to ride between 50mph and 70mph. If the top speed is 200mph, it'll feel nice to ride between 100mph and 140mph. The 100mph bike won't be pleasant at 100mph, and the 200mph bike won't be at all satisfying between 50mph and 70mph. And a 100mph litre bike will be far more relaxed in the low to mid range than a 100mph 250.

All of a sudden manageable, comfortable large capacity bikes with a top speed of about 100mph or so make sense. Especially when they're significantly less expensive and fit the brief better than a Harley.

That's why Triumph's modern classics and (for taller more affluent riders) BMW's boxers have such a large share of the big bike market, irrespective of the styling.
    I think I fit your description of an ‘older, rounder and less mobile’ biker pretty well, and mostly from the reasons you suggest!
    Which is probably why I no longer ride sport bikes even though I still love the idea!
    I’ve owned many bikes over the years including early Triumphs, and various other makes, but having seen most of the Triumphs close up it was simply an aesthetic appeal that I didn’t get, I know they are capable performers in the main.
    As for fitting the brief better than a Harley, the main brief for me these days is does it make me smile, and my Harley does! As I hope you, Enoch and others feel when riding their Triumphs or anything they enjoy.
    We’re all bikers at the end of the day.
    (Mickey taking excluded of course!)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    When I needed a lift for my Sportster, I employed my local workforce to make a wooden one

Just what I need for the Dyna!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I agree Gyp, I’ve ‘traded down’ power wise as found litre sports bikes frustrating on the road. 100-120 bhp means you can use it all without doing silly speeds.

How times have changed; 100-120bhp meant you could do silly speeds when I was riding sports bikes.

1990 ZZR600- 100bhp- 160mph
    1998 Ducati 916-110bhp-160mph
    1998 ZX9R-130bhp-170+mph
    2003 ZX6R-120bhp-160+mph

Even my 83 GPz750 with around 80bhp could do 130mph in its day. I must confess it seems happier below 100mph these days though.

These 200bhp super bikes of today must be mind blowing.

The 9T's seem to be a perfect answer to this issue... "only" 110bhp but a lovely 116NM of torque that doesn't require you to go right up through the band to find. In fact, my journey of bike ownership since last October has proven that the advice I was receiving when I was trying to pin down what I wanted was pretty much spot on. If only the notion of a 1200cc engine hadn't seemed so intimidating at the outset, I might have saved myself a few quid getting to where I needed to be!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The 9T's seem to be a perfect answer to this issue... "only" 110bhp but a lovely 116NM of torque that doesn't require you to go right up through the band to find. In fact, my journey of bike ownership since last October has proven that the advice I was receiving when I was trying to pin down what I wanted was pretty much spot on. If only the notion of a 1200cc engine hadn't seemed so intimidating at the outset, I might have saved myself a few quid getting to where I needed to be!
    The R9T is one of the bikes I do find tempting, always seems to get good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Talking of 'bike-related stuff', IMO the best tool you can have for your bikes is a bike lift.

Whether it's DIY servicing, repairs, farkeling or just a thorough clean up, the investment is well worth the cost.
    Agree, they pay for themselves quickly, and make routine service checks a pleasure.
    Bought mine over 10 years ago, brilliant bit of kit.

Looking at your beemer, it's amazing how much plastic covers things isn't it?
    Does it take long to pull apart?
    And more importantly, any lugs snapped over the years?
    Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    The R9T is one of the bikes I do find tempting, always seems to get good reviews.
    Beautiful bikes, and so full of character. A perfect only bike, really.

You would indeed have saved a few quids... but you wouldn’t have had the journey and experience you now have, that allowed you to decide what was important for you on a bike.
    It is said that there is no substitute for experience. It is also said that of all things, experience is the one that you cannot pass down.
    You’ve owned 4 bikes in a short time. You enjoyed each and every one of them. Each of them was the right bike for many people, including you at the time. The R9T may follow, albeit after a longer ownership.

It’s the journey, not the destination.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You would indeed have saved a few quids... but you wouldn’t have had the journey and experience you now have, that allowed you to decide what was important for you on a bike.
    It is said that there is no substitute for experience. It is also said that of all things, experience is the one that you cannot pass down.
    You’ve owned 4 bikes in a short time. You enjoyed each and every one of them. Each of them was the right bike for many people, including you at the time. The R9T may follow, albeit after a longer ownership.

It’s the journey, not the destination.
    Very true, and i've loved every minute on each of them. I have to say that this 9T has really hit my sweet spot, though, and I'm also thinking it would be the perfect bike to take to Tenerife with me in a couple of years. I suspect any future investment will be best spent optimising it (maybe a suspension upgrade at some point, and a few more farkles).

Grand Master
    Let me know how they feel after riding one for more than 60 mins
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I don’t think you’d want to tour Europe on one but that’s not the point of the bike.

If you’re after a plush magic carpet then a big adventure bike is going to tick that particular box.

I’ve found mine fine over several hours in the saddle.

I've already done a few hours in the saddle on mine and it was lovely.

I've just posted a video on YouTube of the new bike - it's here if you fancy a gander

I've just posted a video on YouTube of the new bike - it's here if you fancy a gander
    Sub me Tony and I’ll sub you.

YouTube name ‘Gastramp’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Agree, they pay for themselves quickly, and make routine service checks a pleasure.
    Bought mine over 10 years ago, brilliant bit of kit.

Looking at your beemer, it's amazing how much plastic covers things isn't it?
    Does it take long to pull apart?
    And more importantly, any lugs snapped over the years?
    Just curious.
    Certainly had some lugs snapping, especially on the older plastics. I got into the habit of have a selection of replacements before I started a strip down.
    Timewise, I've found I get better with experience - and on the Ducatis and Moto Guzzies I was quite proficient from the necessary regularity!

Kneeling on a garage floor to work on a bike is no longer acceptable to me, even if I'm just giving one of them a good clean up they'll go on the lift and sitting down whilst working on a bike is sheer pleasure.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Certainly had some lugs snapping, especially on the older plastics. I got into the habit of have a selection of replacements before I started a strip down.
    Timewise, I've found I get better with experience - and on the Ducatis and Moto Guzzies I was quite proficient from the necessary regularity!

Kneeling on a garage floor to work on a bike is no longer acceptable to me, even if I'm just giving one of them a good clean up they'll go on the lift and sitting down whilst working on a bike is sheer pleasure.

R
    I had a viffer, it came apart and went back together again beautifully.
    The modern stuff is dire by comparison.
    If they were to spend another £2 per piece on better lugs, it would save us a fortune....but probably kill their parts business.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

I can’t disagree although I really should have bought a slightly larger one!
    Hahahaaaaaa.....as long as it does the job Dave....beats scratting around in the dust.
    Bought mine from CJ autos.
    http://www.cjautosheywood.co.uk/
    The EXTRA wide version *smug*

The z750..you rebuilding it?
    Looks like a LOT of work mate
    Last edited by Tifa; 29th May 2019 at 12:33.

Things I didn't know I needed, a Motorbike lift seems to be one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Hahahaaaaaa.....as long as it does the job Dave....beats scratting around in the dust.
    Bought mine from CJ autos.
    http://www.cjautosheywood.co.uk/
    The EXTRA wide version *smug*

The kawasaki...you rebuilding it?
    Looks like a LOT of work
    I use that one as my mule but will build it up into a cafe racer at some stage. It’s a GPz750 frame and will have a ZR7 motor, Z650 tank, not sure what front or rear end though. It’s currently sitting on a ZXR400H back end and ZR7 front; the ZXR400 USD front end is on one of my other GPzs.

That’s got a later ZXR400 rear end on (different design).

I’m toying with the idea of an NC30 back end on it but as you said, there’s a lot of work and other things take priority. I’m in no hurry though.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure someone will, but to be honest if I wanted a tourer or a bike for long journeys I might look elsewhere. Luckily bikes are just a hobby these days, not my main transport as they were in the past.

How times have changed; 100-120bhp meant you could do silly speeds when I was riding sports bikes.

1990 ZZR600- 100bhp- 160mph
    1998 Ducati 916-110bhp-160mph
    1998 ZX9R-130bhp-170+mph
    2003 ZX6R-120bhp-160+mph

Even my 83 GPz750 with around 80bhp could do 130mph in its day. I must confess it seems happier below 100mph these days though.

These 200bhp super bikes of today must be mind blowing.
    Same here - I had a 1000 cc EXUP and an FZR600 in the very early 90s and wrung the neck out of both of them and they hit silly speeds - fast enough the white lines in the road looked funny and you found kinks in straight roads...

Yes modern bikes are properly mad - I rode a friends recently and despite owning an 1100cc Ducati - I just frantically changed up as it hit the power-band and despite not having ridden a sports bike for 20 years got my knee down at the first big roundabout I saw.

Agree completely with the 80% rule and was happy to go back to the pedestrian Ducati - to be fair it isn't that powerful as is the air-cooled 1100S in Hypermotard form.

I've been toying with whether to spend a few grand bringing my RNine T into semi-sportsbike handelling territory (suspension upgrade, tyres, wheels, etc)

Decided that I'm going to buy a 600 sports bike for track days and look to get into some amateur racing and keep the RNine T for fun easy blasts

Anyone else got a 600 track rat and could offer some advice of what to go for? It needs to be post 2006 as I want to keep it in London and budget is £5k max

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    I've already done a few hours in the saddle on mine and it was lovely.
    You are a lucky man then as my experience of them and countless others find the ride a dog, but on the positive they are a great bike to buy as can be snapped up for very good deals from BMW. Ill wager it won’t be between your legs by Christmas
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 29th May 2019 at 14:37.
    RIAC

You are a lucky man then as my experience of them and countless others find the ride a dog, but on the positive they are a great bike to buy as can be snapped up for very good deals from BMW. Ill wager it won’t be between your legs by Christmas
    I'll take that wager - in public too
    Last edited by learningtofly; 23rd November 2019 at 15:10.

Given your track record Tony, the odds are firmly stacked in Kerry’s favour.

There’s over six months until Christmas!

Given your track record Tony, the odds are firmly stacked in Kerry’s favour.

There’s over six months until Christmas!
    Excellent - he'll no doubt make it an attractive bet for me then... 10/1 sounds about right.

Blog Entries
    Fundraiser bet?

"I`ll find that 20p i dropped down the side of the fairing if it`s the last thing i do"!

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I've been toying with whether to spend a few grand bringing my RNine T into semi-sportsbike handelling territory (suspension upgrade, tyres, wheels, etc)

Decided that I'm going to buy a 600 sports bike for track days and look to get into some amateur racing and keep the RNine T for fun easy blasts

Anyone else got a 600 track rat and could offer some advice of what to go for? It needs to be post 2006 as I want to keep it in London and budget is £5k max

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I can't help you on the track bike advice but you are wise not to spend the money on the R9-T - I did similar (on a Pegaso) trying to turn it into a road bike, but just made it better for the new owner and bought the right bike for me and never looked back.

I wouldn’t have the track bike on the road so no need for a post 2006 bike. You’ll want to take it on a trailer anyway. 600 is a great size; I had much more fun on my ZX6R than on bigger bikes. The tyres lasted a lot longer too!

Be aware though that, when you start getting serious, you’ll want to spend lots of money on the bike to improve it. You’ll probably also get very bored with riding on the road, very quickly so your R9T will either sit unloved or get sold.

spending money on an R9t to make it 'quicker' or 'sportier' is like trying to turn a labrador into a greyhound -you are just wasting your money.

For me there's what I fancy and what I can ride. At the moment, apart from my classic 50bhp boxers, I've got an R1200R (125bhp) and have just bought a Triumph Street Scrambler (67 or so bhp).

The R1200R is an awesome bike, but my neck can't cope with me using the power and braking available, so I'm finding I'm riding it more in "rain" mode to calm things down a bit and allow me to ride further. It doesn't help that the glorious engine and quickshifter does lead me to ride it hard. The Triumph softens everything down and I can potter about for hours looking at the scenery rather than thinking of it as the stuff at the side of the road that can kill you if you hit it.

I've owned Hayabusas and ridden the Kawasaki H2, and whilst they are amazing, I can only manage them for a very short period of time :-(

I think I fit your description of an ‘older, rounder and less mobile’ biker pretty well, and mostly from the reasons you suggest!
    He he

As for fitting the brief better than a Harley, the main brief for me these days is does it make me smile, and my Harley does! As I hope you, Enoch and others feel when riding their Triumphs or anything they enjoy.
    We’re all bikers at the end of the day.
    (Mickey taking excluded of course!)
    I rode several HDs this time as I think the new M8 engined bikes are excellent. I came close to buying a 107ci Street Glide with forwards as that was the best from both an ergonomic and dynamic perspective IMHO, then tried the Bobber Black which was similar if a little cramped, then the Street Scrambler made me smile and open my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    spending money on an R9t to make it 'quicker' or 'sportier' is like trying to turn a labrador into a greyhound -you are just wasting your money.
    Depends how far you want to go.
    But you're right of course.
    The R9T does not lend itself to much in the area of upgrades.
    But they CAN be improved.
    First port of call...Tyres...decent sports tyres, with decent treads, not the flat tracker style or off road stuff which are garbage on tarmac. Also, play with tyre pressures to find what works best for you.
    Second..suspension. A big piston conversion up front, with a decent shock at the rear should do the trick.
    Tyres & suspension....always good for a few seconds a lap.
    Or another few mph around that tight bend. :-)
    Budget about £2k for everything, provided you can install it yourself. Add another £500 if you can't.

Blog Entries
    He he

I rode several HDs this time as I think the new M8 engined bikes are excellent. I came close to buying a 107ci Street Glide with forwards as that was the best from both an ergonomic and dynamic perspective IMHO, then tried the Bobber Black which was similar if a little cramped, then the Street Scrambler made me smile and open my wallet.
    The forward controls have put me off the newer Harleys a bit I must admit. Mine had them fitted when I bought it but just found them awkward. Have put the controls back to the standard mid position for use in traffic and manoeuvring but left the forward pegs on for cruising like the Frisco boys do. Just feels more controllable with mids. Thinking of getting something else but so far have only narrowed it down to 'something else'!! Had the bright idea of getting an old 2 stroke for fun days, maybe an RD400........then saw how much they fetch these days

I do fancy another rsv1000r factory
    I miss mine.
    I sold my Tuono last year too.
    Biggest mistake ever.
    Sellers regret and all that.

It’s the one bike I regret selling, absolutely loved it.

The forward controls have put me off the newer Harleys a bit I must admit. Mine had them fitted when I bought it but just found them awkward. Have put the controls back to the standard mid position for use in traffic and manoeuvring but left the forward pegs on for cruising like the Frisco boys do. Just feels more controllable with mids.
    Ah, old hips and knees make mids uncomfortable for me so the forwards work well.

Christ, listen to me. Anyone would think I was 90.

Blog Entries
    Ah, old hips and knees make mids uncomfortable for me so the forwards work well.

Christ, listen to me. Anyone would think I was 90.
    Ha ha!

Strangely the mids feel better for me for the same reasons!!

Really fancy some Paughco 8" swept drag bars instead of the apes though. Just love the look of them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The best bike is the one that makes you take an extra 20 mile detour when you are nearly home just because you don’t want to stop riding it.

The one you get off and you can’t resist a glance back as you walk away.

The one one that you find any excuse to go and polish it,tinker with it or just ride down to the chip shop.

You can tour on anything but where’s the fun in doing it on a gold wing,yes you can go further but unless you judge it by distance it’s not the point.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    The best bike is the one that makes you take an extra 20 mile detour when you are nearly home just because you don’t want to stop riding it.
    Indeed.

When I did my test rides earlier this year, the Triumph was the one that I kept heading off down little lanes that I'd never explored before rather than go back to the dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

The one you get off and you can’t resist a glance back as you walk away.

The one one that you find any excuse to go and polish it,tinker with it or just ride down to the chip shop.

You can tour on anything but where’s the fun in doing it on a gold wing,yes you can go further but unless you judge it by distance it’s not the point.
    Never a truer word spoken. Unless you are grinning when you ride it, grinning when you get off and grinning when you think about it, it ain’t the one!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Never a truer word spoken. Unless you are grinning when you ride it, grinning when you get off and grinning when you think about it, it ain’t the current one!
    Fixed that for you!

tough few weeks ahead:) decided to get rid of most toys (single man+oil and gas industry+lots of spare time=shiny thing madness)

Thumper has found a new home and is being delivered to Taupo this weekend...

had some good times around north island on the brute...

currently in the negotiation phase for rehoming Mille..

and the V will be gone as soon as the new tank arrives from the UK.

just the GS in the garage :( but im sure it will be worth it when i do my next sanity check!

Love the MT01!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the look of thumper but I just didn’t like riding it.

I saw one of the new Vmax last week and I thought it was stunning.

Before to long I really want to ride in New Zealand,I tried last year but I couldn’t join all the dots.