closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 47 of 352 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,350 of 17581

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Goldwings also had longitudinal engines since the 70s and let's not forget the legendary Kawasaki two-strokes KR250/350:

Of course you’re correct too. Perhaps I should amend my comment to “very few”!

Just completed the running in miles.
    1st service on Friday then access to full rev range

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Just completed the running in miles.
    1st service on Friday then access to full rev range
    Sherry’s cafe at Heathfield (or at least it was)?

Took the old GPz for its MOT this afternoon. Riding back and it just died. No lights, nothing. Whip the seat off to see the battery boiling itself away. The positive terminal was in contact with a metal strip connected to the frame.

Fortunately, just across the railway lines was a cycle shop. The guy lent me a 10mm spanner to remove the strip (which holds the rear of the tank in place, the battery terminals are directly underneath) thus stopping any further damage.

A police officer stopped, gave me a push so I could bump start it then followed me home. We had a quick cuppa and a chat about bikes (he has a 1999 BMW GS1100) and he was on his way. Fortunately I’d just bought another battery for the other bike so put that on.

The old battery is now on a charger having been filled up with deionised water and hopefully it will be ok.

Anyway, the bike passed so it’s all good now!
    Last edited by Dave+63; 21st May 2019 at 17:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Took the old GPz for its MOT this afternoon. Riding back and it just died. No lights, nothing. Whip the seat off to see the battery boiling itself away. The positive terminal was in contact with a metal strip connected to the frame.

Fortunately, just across the railway lines was a cycle shop. The guy lent me a 10mm spanner to remove the strip (which holds the rear of the tank in place, the battery terminals are directly underneath) thus stopping any further damage.

A police officer stopped, gave me a push so I could bump start it then followed me home. We had a quick cuppa and a chat about bikes (he has a 1999 BMW GS1100) and he was on his way. Fortunately I’d just bought another battery for the other bike so put that on.

The old battery is now on a charger having been filled up with deionised water and hopefully it will be ok.

Oh the joys of classic ownership! Glad you got home ok , battery should be recoverable as it wasn’t shorting for long.

Steve

Ps what were you doing without a 10mm spanner , its the most versatile tool on any Jap bike 1970’s onwards, consider yourself told����

I took the plunge last week and traded this in

For this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Oh the joys of classic ownership! Glad you got home ok , battery should be recoverable as it wasn’t shorting for long.

Steve
    It was showing 8 volts immediately after it happened and around 10 when I got home so I’m hopeful. I’ve made up an insulator to go between them now so it shouldn’t happen again.

Slightly silly design really, if they’d made it possible to turn the battery through 180 degrees it just couldn’t happen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    I took the plunge last week and traded this in

For this

Ill say again is it true das Panzer has gone ! How do you find the weight compared to the old one ? Also how long before it becomes a Ring bike ?

Steve

Master
    Of course you’re correct too. Perhaps I should amend my comment to “very few”!
    Tandem twin very rare , both carbs pointing out of the rhs. Absolute bu....r to start but when running sublime. My KR1s was a refinement of this engine , but a parallel w/c twin rather than piggyback

Tandem twin very rare , both carbs pointing out of the rhs. Absolute bu....r to start but when running sublime. My KR1s was a refinement of this engine , but a parallel w/c twin rather than piggyback
    I don’t think they sold many of the road version back in the day, they were a little ahead of their time I suppose. Korky Ballington certainly did the job on them though.

It was Sherry's; I believe it changed hands a couple of years ago.
    It's always a relief when the MOT is passed, however confident you might be.
    Had the battery swollen? Just wondering why it decided to make contact with the strip that presumably was there before.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    It was Sherry's; I believe it changed hands a couple of years ago.
    It's always a relief when the MOT is passed, however confident you might be.
    Had the battery swollen? Just wondering why it decided to make contact with the strip that presumably was there before.
    Due to the position of the battery terminals, it’s always likely to happen. I had insulated the area with tape but it had worn through. I think the battery available today is probably a few mm talker than the original in the eighties which is what causes the problem. Either that or they’ve reversed the position of the terminals meaning that they now have to be under the bar rather than clear of it.

Are you local to Heathfield? If so, have you tried the Custom Cafe on the A259 just outside Bexhill? We go there for breakfast most weekends and they have a large gathering of bikes on a Ftiday night.

Due to the position of the battery terminals, it’s always likely to happen. I had insulated the area with tape but it had worn through. I think the battery available today is probably a few mm talker than the original in the eighties which is what causes the problem. Either that or they’ve reversed the position of the terminals meaning that they now have to be under the bar rather than clear of it.

Are you local to Heathfield? If so, have you tried the Custom Cafe on the A259 just outside Bexhill? We go there for breakfast most weekends and they have a large gathering of bikes on a Ftiday night.
    As you say, probably down to a small change in battery size/design :(

I'm North Kent/SE London. I haven't (to my memory) tried the Custom Cafe but it looks like I should :)
    Rye on Wednesday evenings (during the 'riding season') is another popular biker meeting place with a choice of establishments for refuelling.

More bike related stuff

Ill say again is it true das Panzer has gone ! How do you find the weight compared to the old one ? Also how long before it becomes a Ring bike ?

Steve
    Weight disappears once it’s moving, it’s a handful paddling it around and pushing it backwards into the garage though.
    If the GS was a Tiger tank then the GSA is a King Tiger

Yes, I’ll need to do Nürburgring again to get the right to put a sticker on it

3 weeks around Europe again in 5 weeks time

Master
    I don’t think they sold many of the road version back in the day, they were a little ahead of their time I suppose. Korky Ballington certainly did the job on them though.
    Dave they didn’t sell any into the UK , the few you see, and there is one on ebay now are all grey imports with KM speedo’s . The Kr1s forum Im a member off has a KR section, I bet there are only 4 or 5 members in the UK. Rest are in Australia and NZ which is where the KR was shipped to.

Steve

Dave they didn’t sell any into the UK , the few you see, and there is one on ebay now are all grey imports with KM speedo’s . The Kr1s forum Im a member off has a KR section, I bet there are only 4 or 5 members in the UK. Rest are in Australia and NZ which is where the KR was shipped to.

Steve
    That’s interesting; I definitely remember them and magazines doing write ups too, well before grey importing got into its stride.

Funny how the memory plays tricks!

Master
    Here you go Dave MCN so it must be right!!

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...er-elsie---ps/

I toyed with the idea of buying one once but they are very quirky and can be difficult to start. Also the spares support is very poor as they never hit sufficient volume for the likes of CMNSL or Wemoto to get parts in

Steve

I would have bought one of those KR250's in a heartbeat, I had a new AR125 back in about 1987 and then progressed to a Yam 350LC, would have preferred that KR if they'd been more widely available

One more sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    One more sleep!

2 more for me Tony then picking up a new Speed Twin Saturday, was all set to buy a Z900RS until I rode the Triumph

Last edited by Vanguard; 23rd May 2019 at 08:59.

Here you go Dave MCN so it must be right!!

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...er-elsie---ps/

I toyed with the idea of buying one once but they are very quirky and can be difficult to start. Also the spares support is very poor as they never hit sufficient volume for the likes of CMNSL or Wemoto to get parts in

Steve
    I never doubted it Steve, I had a peripheral interest in the two strokes and am only too aware of the limitations of my knowledge. As I said, it’s the memory playing tricks!

Thanks for the article though, it’s always interesting to read these old reports.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    2 more for me Tony then picking up a new Speed Twin Saturday, was all set to buy a Z900RS until I rode the Triumph

Very nice, I think if I were to replace my Striple this is the one for me, in essence a Thruxton with a more relaxed riding position...

BTW Tony, it occurred to me today that when your pick up your new bike you will have owned more bikes in the last year than I have in the last 25

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Very nice, I think if I were to replace my Striple this is the one for me, in essence a Thruxton with a more relaxed riding position...

BTW Tony, it occurred to me today that when your pick up your new bike you will have owned more bikes in the last year than I have in the last 25
    Yep spot on, this bike is all about the engine and the handling and in a reasonably comfortable package. Flat torque curve and pulls like a train from 2000 rpm in any gear, it looks retro but feels very modern to ride, exactly what I was looking for. As I said was about to buy a Z900RS but after a test ride this stole the show with the character of that engine. I was always an inline 4 man but your tastes change as you get older and I value low down grunt now instead of banzai top end surge.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 23rd May 2019 at 15:30.

Yep spot on, this bike is all about the engine and the handling and in a reasonably comfortable package. Flat torque curve and pulls like a train from 2000 rpm in any gear, it looks retro but feels vry modern to ride, exactly what I was looking for. As I said was about to buy a Z900RS but after a test ride this stole the show with the character of that engine. I was always an inline 4 man but your tastes change as you get older and I value low down grunt now instead of banzai top end surge.
    Did you ride the Z900 in the end? I really fancy a go on one as its touted as a more affordable alternative to my r nine t

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Did you ride the Z900 in the end? I really fancy a go on one as its touted as a more affordable alternative to my r nine t

Yes I tried the Z900RS and the Z900Rs Cafe, I also rode the R9T as I had a 1200GS before so like BMW's but I didn't like the riding position.

Lovely - I was offered an early test ride and thought it was a fantastic bike. Not sure of your geography but perhaps a ride out could be arranged if you’re southeasterly.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

Yes, yes, but this one’s a keeper!

Was also interested in this Indian FTR but no demo bikes available yet and I wanted something soon

Was also interested in this Indian FTR but no demo bikes available yet and I wanted something soon

I think I'd change the rubber pronto. 1200cc with the stock tyres sounds like a recipe for distaster

Awesome looking bike and surprisingly well specced for the cash

I really like the look of the Indian and have been waiting for them to come out. Got a reasonably positive review in this month's Bike magazine.

Sadly there are no dealers nearby. Closest is in Nottingham. Also liked the look of the new Husqvarna Svartpilen 701 but the nearest dealer is in Leeds.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I think I'd change the rubber pronto. 1200cc with the stock tyres sounds like a recipe for distaster

Awesome looking bike and surprisingly well specced for the cash

Totally agree I would have got the dealer to fit Michelin Road 5's before I even touched it

Lovely - I was offered an early test ride and thought it was a fantastic bike. Not sure of your geography but perhaps a ride out could be arranged if you’re southeasterly.

Yes, yes, but this one’s a keeper!
    I'll try and make the next one Tony if it doesn't involve too much Motorway riding to get there, I'm South East

One more sleep!
    Looking forward to the pics, make sure you take plenty at the Bike Shed Show too.

That is so lovely..........could even tempt me away from my 'next' Ducati

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    That is so lovely..........could even tempt me away from my 'next' Ducati
    I did test ride a Ducati Monster 821 as well and a CB1000R but the Speed Twin just hit the spot for me, not the fastest but the sweetest all round package for me personally these days, get a test ride your brain won't believe a bike that looks like that can go and handle the way it does.

After a few years away from bikes, I get this delivered tomorrow

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davie0146 View Post

With Ohlins front and rear, I’m guessing that’s the R model?

Good choice.

Master

Now that is a nice oldschool twin racer. Lovely!

Master

No rear plate , could it be a track day bike?

Steve

Yup it's a RSV Millie R. Just a sucker for 90's superbikes. Unfortunately not a proper Haga rep just the decals. Not a track bike just a smaller numberplate...

Toying with building a R1/7 haga rep....

Get a Garbo chip in that, do the collector mod, add 57mmTB's with airbox mod and you will have yourself a missile.

Master

Toying with building a R1/7 haga rep....
    Go for it....Haga was a dude...

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Get a Garbo chip in that, do the collector mod, add 57mmTB's with airbox mod and you will have yourself a missile.
    Will be checking out what has been done, but 57's jollys airbox and others are on the cards. It's got some tasty mods already.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Go for it....Haga was a dude...

Haga always gave it balls

Tangerine Dream

First time I've ever named a bike... sorry for the iPhone shots, but I'll take some better one's over the long weekend.

Master
    First time I've ever named a bike... sorry for the iPhone shots, but I'll take some better one's over the long weekend.
    Looks better with black seat and the forks wrap removed - nice one!!
    Any other changes they did before you picked it up?

That is a handsome looking bike Tony and I love the colour too.

Looks good ;)

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Ride safe Tony. Not my cup of tea visually, but reports suggest they are a nice bike. I do actually like the colour for that bike though. Are they some sort of engine protectors on the outside of the heads, if so that's good cos if you drop it or whatever I can imagine that would be costly.

Stuart

That's gorgeous Tony, bloody gorgeous! So much better than the ST.......but did you shed a tear? Looking forward to seeing it in your next Vlog and in the flesh on our next ride-out.

Thanks guys - I know not everyone will like the colour but I love it and there’s not another one that looks like this anywhere!

No tears were shed when the ST was handed over, and the deal was pretty sweet from my point of view. The custom brown seat was sadly given to a customer before I went in last week; they did think they could get hold of it but when that proved not to be the case I asked for (and got) a brown Scrambler seat as a sweetener. I may well chop and change because it’s a pretty simple operation (and yes, there’s protection on the engine blocks).

First thoughts after being on the road for much of today? It’s not as precise as the ST and it takes more work to ride it; however, I love that and love the bike’s character and stupid amounts of torque. Sounds incredible and people stop in the street to look as it goes past. I think I’ve found my bike.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 24th May 2019 at 14:56.

Thanks guys - I know not everyone will like the colour but I love it and there’s not another one that looks like this anywhere!
    It is a FAB colour, but............this is Tangerine