closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,350 of 3513

Thread: More bike related stuff

  1. #2301
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Posts
    541
    Another of my old steeds, the Honda ST1100 was also a longitudinal crank I believe, it was a v4. Again with shaft drive. Myself and my partner had a lovely touring jolly on ours to the South of France and Italy. Comfy, economical and totally reliable. Panniers and a top box and tank bag gave us more than enough storage space. It was a fantastic bike, in fact, its the only one that made my missus cry when I sold it to get a Honda SP1. The good old days eh?

    Stuart


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  2. #2302
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    11,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Goldwings also had longitudinal engines since the 70s and let's not forget the legendary Kawasaki two-strokes KR250/350:

    Of course you’re correct too. Perhaps I should amend my comment to “very few”!

  3. #2303
    Just completed the running in miles.
    1st service on Friday then access to full rev range

  4. #2304
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    11,324

    More bike related stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Just completed the running in miles.
    1st service on Friday then access to full rev range
    Sherry’s cafe at Heathfield (or at least it was)?

    Took the old GPz for its MOT this afternoon. Riding back and it just died. No lights, nothing. Whip the seat off to see the battery boiling itself away. The positive terminal was in contact with a metal strip connected to the frame.

    Fortunately, just across the railway lines was a cycle shop. The guy lent me a 10mm spanner to remove the strip (which holds the rear of the tank in place, the battery terminals are directly underneath) thus stopping any further damage.

    A police officer stopped, gave me a push so I could bump start it then followed me home. We had a quick cuppa and a chat about bikes (he has a 1999 BMW GS1100) and he was on his way. Fortunately I’d just bought another battery for the other bike so put that on.

    The old battery is now on a charger having been filled up with deionised water and hopefully it will be ok.

    Anyway, the bike passed so it’s all good now!
    Last edited by Dave+63; 21st May 2019 at 17:23.

  5. #2305
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Sherry’s cafe at Heathfield (or at least it was)?

    Took the old GPz for its MOT this afternoon. Riding back and it just died. No lights, nothing. Whip the seat off to see the battery boiling itself away. The positive terminal was in contact with a metal strip connected to the frame.

    Fortunately, just across the railway lines was a cycle shop. The guy lent me a 10mm spanner to remove the strip (which holds the rear of the tank in place, the battery terminals are directly underneath) thus stopping any further damage.

    A police officer stopped, gave me a push so I could bump start it then followed me home. We had a quick cuppa and a chat about bikes (he has a 1999 BMW GS1100) and he was on his way. Fortunately I’d just bought another battery for the other bike so put that on.

    The old battery is now on a charger having been filled up with deionised water and hopefully it will be ok.

    Anyway, the bike passed so it’s all good now!
    Oh the joys of classic ownership! Glad you got home ok , battery should be recoverable as it wasn’t shorting for long.

    Steve

    Ps what were you doing without a 10mm spanner , its the most versatile tool on any Jap bike 1970’s onwards, consider yourself told����

  6. #2306
    Master vRSG60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Barrowford - Lancashire
    Posts
    2,633
    I took the plunge last week and traded this in


    For this



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #2307
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    11,324
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Oh the joys of classic ownership! Glad you got home ok , battery should be recoverable as it wasn’t shorting for long.

    Steve
    It was showing 8 volts immediately after it happened and around 10 when I got home so I’m hopeful. I’ve made up an insulator to go between them now so it shouldn’t happen again.

    Slightly silly design really, if they’d made it possible to turn the battery through 180 degrees it just couldn’t happen.

  8. #2308
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    I took the plunge last week and traded this in


    For this



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ill say again is it true das Panzer has gone ! How do you find the weight compared to the old one ? Also how long before it becomes a Ring bike ?

    Steve

  9. #2309
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Of course you’re correct too. Perhaps I should amend my comment to “very few”!
    Tandem twin very rare , both carbs pointing out of the rhs. Absolute bu....r to start but when running sublime. My KR1s was a refinement of this engine , but a parallel w/c twin rather than piggyback

  10. #2310
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    11,324
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tandem twin very rare , both carbs pointing out of the rhs. Absolute bu....r to start but when running sublime. My KR1s was a refinement of this engine , but a parallel w/c twin rather than piggyback
    I don’t think they sold many of the road version back in the day, they were a little ahead of their time I suppose. Korky Ballington certainly did the job on them though.

  11. #2311
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Sherry’s cafe at Heathfield (or at least it was)?

    Took the old GPz for its MOT this afternoon. Riding back and it just died. No lights, nothing. Whip the seat off to see the battery boiling itself away. The positive terminal was in contact with a metal strip connected to the frame.

    Anyway, the bike passed so it’s all good now!
    It was Sherry's; I believe it changed hands a couple of years ago.
    It's always a relief when the MOT is passed, however confident you might be.
    Had the battery swollen? Just wondering why it decided to make contact with the strip that presumably was there before.

  12. #2312
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    11,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    It was Sherry's; I believe it changed hands a couple of years ago.
    It's always a relief when the MOT is passed, however confident you might be.
    Had the battery swollen? Just wondering why it decided to make contact with the strip that presumably was there before.
    Due to the position of the battery terminals, it’s always likely to happen. I had insulated the area with tape but it had worn through. I think the battery available today is probably a few mm talker than the original in the eighties which is what causes the problem. Either that or they’ve reversed the position of the terminals meaning that they now have to be under the bar rather than clear of it.

    Are you local to Heathfield? If so, have you tried the Custom Cafe on the A259 just outside Bexhill? We go there for breakfast most weekends and they have a large gathering of bikes on a Ftiday night.

  13. #2313
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Due to the position of the battery terminals, it’s always likely to happen. I had insulated the area with tape but it had worn through. I think the battery available today is probably a few mm talker than the original in the eighties which is what causes the problem. Either that or they’ve reversed the position of the terminals meaning that they now have to be under the bar rather than clear of it.

    Are you local to Heathfield? If so, have you tried the Custom Cafe on the A259 just outside Bexhill? We go there for breakfast most weekends and they have a large gathering of bikes on a Ftiday night.
    As you say, probably down to a small change in battery size/design :(

    I'm North Kent/SE London. I haven't (to my memory) tried the Custom Cafe but it looks like I should :)
    Rye on Wednesday evenings (during the 'riding season') is another popular biker meeting place with a choice of establishments for refuelling.

  14. #2314
    Master vRSG60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Barrowford - Lancashire
    Posts
    2,633

    More bike related stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Ill say again is it true das Panzer has gone ! How do you find the weight compared to the old one ? Also how long before it becomes a Ring bike ?

    Steve
    Weight disappears once it’s moving, it’s a handful paddling it around and pushing it backwards into the garage though.
    If the GS was a Tiger tank then the GSA is a King Tiger

    Yes, I’ll need to do Nürburgring again to get the right to put a sticker on it

    3 weeks around Europe again in 5 weeks time


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #2315
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I don’t think they sold many of the road version back in the day, they were a little ahead of their time I suppose. Korky Ballington certainly did the job on them though.
    Dave they didn’t sell any into the UK , the few you see, and there is one on ebay now are all grey imports with KM speedo’s . The Kr1s forum Im a member off has a KR section, I bet there are only 4 or 5 members in the UK. Rest are in Australia and NZ which is where the KR was shipped to.

    Steve

  16. #2316
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    11,324
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Dave they didn’t sell any into the UK , the few you see, and there is one on ebay now are all grey imports with KM speedo’s . The Kr1s forum Im a member off has a KR section, I bet there are only 4 or 5 members in the UK. Rest are in Australia and NZ which is where the KR was shipped to.

    Steve
    That’s interesting; I definitely remember them and magazines doing write ups too, well before grey importing got into its stride.

    Funny how the memory plays tricks!

  17. #2317
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,358
    Here you go Dave MCN so it must be right!!

    https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...er-elsie---ps/


    I toyed with the idea of buying one once but they are very quirky and can be difficult to start. Also the spares support is very poor as they never hit sufficient volume for the likes of CMNSL or Wemoto to get parts in

    Steve

  18. #2318
    I would have bought one of those KR250's in a heartbeat, I had a new AR125 back in about 1987 and then progressed to a Yam 350LC, would have preferred that KR if they'd been more widely available

  19. #2319
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,207
    One more sleep!

  20. #2320
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    One more sleep!

    2 more for me Tony then picking up a new Speed Twin Saturday, was all set to buy a Z900RS until I rode the Triumph

    Last edited by Vanguard; 23rd May 2019 at 08:59.

  21. #2321
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    11,324
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Here you go Dave MCN so it must be right!!

    https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...er-elsie---ps/


    I toyed with the idea of buying one once but they are very quirky and can be difficult to start. Also the spares support is very poor as they never hit sufficient volume for the likes of CMNSL or Wemoto to get parts in

    Steve
    I never doubted it Steve, I had a peripheral interest in the two strokes and am only too aware of the limitations of my knowledge. As I said, it’s the memory playing tricks!

    Thanks for the article though, it’s always interesting to read these old reports.

  22. #2322
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    2 more for me Tony then picking up a new Speed Twin Saturday, was all set to buy a Z900RS until I rode the Triumph

    Very nice, I think if I were to replace my Striple this is the one for me, in essence a Thruxton with a more relaxed riding position...

    BTW Tony, it occurred to me today that when your pick up your new bike you will have owned more bikes in the last year than I have in the last 25

  23. #2323
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Very nice, I think if I were to replace my Striple this is the one for me, in essence a Thruxton with a more relaxed riding position...

    BTW Tony, it occurred to me today that when your pick up your new bike you will have owned more bikes in the last year than I have in the last 25
    Yep spot on, this bike is all about the engine and the handling and in a reasonably comfortable package. Flat torque curve and pulls like a train from 2000 rpm in any gear, it looks retro but feels very modern to ride, exactly what I was looking for. As I said was about to buy a Z900RS but after a test ride this stole the show with the character of that engine. I was always an inline 4 man but your tastes change as you get older and I value low down grunt now instead of banzai top end surge.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 23rd May 2019 at 15:30.

  24. #2324
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Yep spot on, this bike is all about the engine and the handling and in a reasonably comfortable package. Flat torque curve and pulls like a train from 2000 rpm in any gear, it looks retro but feels vry modern to ride, exactly what I was looking for. As I said was about to buy a Z900RS but after a test ride this stole the show with the character of that engine. I was always an inline 4 man but your tastes change as you get older and I value low down grunt now instead of banzai top end surge.
    Did you ride the Z900 in the end? I really fancy a go on one as its touted as a more affordable alternative to my r nine t

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  25. #2325
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Did you ride the Z900 in the end? I really fancy a go on one as its touted as a more affordable alternative to my r nine t

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Yes I tried the Z900RS and the Z900Rs Cafe, I also rode the R9T as I had a 1200GS before so like BMW's but I didn't like the riding position.

  26. #2326
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    2 more for me Tony then picking up a new Speed Twin Saturday, was all set to buy a Z900RS until I rode the Triumph

    Lovely - I was offered an early test ride and thought it was a fantastic bike. Not sure of your geography but perhaps a ride out could be arranged if you’re southeasterly.

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Very nice, I think if I were to replace my Striple this is the one for me, in essence a Thruxton with a more relaxed riding position...

    BTW Tony, it occurred to me today that when your pick up your new bike you will have owned more bikes in the last year than I have in the last 25
    Yes, yes, but this one’s a keeper!

  27. #2327
    Was also interested in this Indian FTR but no demo bikes available yet and I wanted something soon


  28. #2328
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Was also interested in this Indian FTR but no demo bikes available yet and I wanted something soon

    I think I'd change the rubber pronto. 1200cc with the stock tyres sounds like a recipe for distaster

    Awesome looking bike and surprisingly well specced for the cash

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  29. #2329
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Was also interested in this Indian FTR but no demo bikes available yet and I wanted something soon

    I really like the look of the Indian and have been waiting for them to come out. Got a reasonably positive review in this month's Bike magazine.

    Sadly there are no dealers nearby. Closest is in Nottingham. Also liked the look of the new Husqvarna Svartpilen 701 but the nearest dealer is in Leeds.

  30. #2330
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I think I'd change the rubber pronto. 1200cc with the stock tyres sounds like a recipe for distaster

    Awesome looking bike and surprisingly well specced for the cash

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

    Totally agree I would have got the dealer to fit Michelin Road 5's before I even touched it

  31. #2331
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Lovely - I was offered an early test ride and thought it was a fantastic bike. Not sure of your geography but perhaps a ride out could be arranged if you’re southeasterly.


    Yes, yes, but this one’s a keeper!
    I'll try and make the next one Tony if it doesn't involve too much Motorway riding to get there, I'm South East

  32. #2332
    Craftsman skmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    One more sleep!
    Looking forward to the pics, make sure you take plenty at the Bike Shed Show too.

  33. #2333
    Craftsman skmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    2 more for me Tony then picking up a new Speed Twin Saturday, was all set to buy a Z900RS until I rode the Triumph

    That is so lovely..........could even tempt me away from my 'next' Ducati

  34. #2334
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    That is so lovely..........could even tempt me away from my 'next' Ducati
    I did test ride a Ducati Monster 821 as well and a CB1000R but the Speed Twin just hit the spot for me, not the fastest but the sweetest all round package for me personally these days, get a test ride your brain won't believe a bike that looks like that can go and handle the way it does.

  35. #2335
    After a few years away from bikes, I get this delivered tomorrow

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

  36. #2336
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    11,324
    Quote Originally Posted by davie0146 View Post
    After a few years away from bikes, I get this delivered tomorrow

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    With Ohlins front and rear, I’m guessing that’s the R model?

    Good choice.

  37. #2337
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Utrecht, Nederland
    Posts
    2,077
    Quote Originally Posted by davie0146 View Post
    After a few years away from bikes, I get this delivered tomorrow

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Now that is a nice oldschool twin racer. Lovely!

  38. #2338
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by davie0146 View Post
    After a few years away from bikes, I get this delivered tomorrow

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No rear plate , could it be a track day bike?

    Steve

  39. #2339
    Yup it's a RSV Millie R. Just a sucker for 90's superbikes. Unfortunately not a proper Haga rep just the decals. Not a track bike just a smaller numberplate...

    Toying with building a R1/7 haga rep....

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

  40. #2340
    Master Tifa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Shropshire UK
    Posts
    1,002
    Get a Garbo chip in that, do the collector mod, add 57mmTB's with airbox mod and you will have yourself a missile.

  41. #2341
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,433
    Quote Originally Posted by davie0146 View Post
    ..

    Toying with building a R1/7 haga rep....
    Go for it....Haga was a dude...


  42. #2342
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Get a Garbo chip in that, do the collector mod, add 57mmTB's with airbox mod and you will have yourself a missile.
    Will be checking out what has been done, but 57's jollys airbox and others are on the cards. It's got some tasty mods already.


    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

  43. #2343
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Go for it....Haga was a dude...

    Haga always gave it balls

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

  44. #2344
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,207

    Tangerine Dream

    First time I've ever named a bike... sorry for the iPhone shots, but I'll take some better one's over the long weekend.






  45. #2345
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bucks. UK.
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    First time I've ever named a bike... sorry for the iPhone shots, but I'll take some better one's over the long weekend.
    Looks better with black seat and the forks wrap removed - nice one!!
    Any other changes they did before you picked it up?

  46. #2346
    That is a handsome looking bike Tony and I love the colour too.

  47. #2347
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    First time I've ever named a bike... sorry for the iPhone shots, but I'll take some better one's over the long weekend.





    Looks good ;)

  48. #2348
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Posts
    541
    Ride safe Tony. Not my cup of tea visually, but reports suggest they are a nice bike. I do actually like the colour for that bike though. Are they some sort of engine protectors on the outside of the heads, if so that's good cos if you drop it or whatever I can imagine that would be costly.

    Stuart

  49. #2349
    Craftsman skmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    First time I've ever named a bike... sorry for the iPhone shots, but I'll take some better one's over the long weekend.


    That's gorgeous Tony, bloody gorgeous! So much better than the ST.......but did you shed a tear? Looking forward to seeing it in your next Vlog and in the flesh on our next ride-out.

  50. #2350
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,207
    Thanks guys - I know not everyone will like the colour but I love it and there’s not another one that looks like this anywhere!

    No tears were shed when the ST was handed over, and the deal was pretty sweet from my point of view. The custom brown seat was sadly given to a customer before I went in last week; they did think they could get hold of it but when that proved not to be the case I asked for (and got) a brown Scrambler seat as a sweetener. I may well chop and change because it’s a pretty simple operation (and yes, there’s protection on the engine blocks).

    First thoughts after being on the road for much of today? It’s not as precise as the ST and it takes more work to ride it; however, I love that and love the bike’s character and stupid amounts of torque. Sounds incredible and people stop in the street to look as it goes past. I think I’ve found my bike.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 24th May 2019 at 14:56.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •