Results 2,101 to 2,150 of 17667

Thread: More bike related stuff

Craftsman

Beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Prestjoh View Post
    Attachment 16147 Found an old photo of mine, mid 80’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw View Post
    I’m leaning towards Evotech as prefer aluminium over R&G’s SS, plus having looked at the Installation guides for both, their kit seems less invasive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just ordered the R&G....will let you know how I get on.

So I’ve tried the KTM Duke 790, and have test rides set up for the Ducati Scrambler and Monster at the weekend.
    Just had a quick ride on a Street Triple R though and wow! Didn’t think I would like the bike at all but was seriously impressed. The bike was lighter than expected and great round corners. Riding position was much more comfortable than I thought and it sounded absolutely incredible.
    Will have a difficult decision to make very soon...

Quote Originally Posted by GavinD View Post
    So I’ve tried the KTM Duke 790, and have test rides set up for the Ducati Scrambler and Monster at the weekend.
    Just had a quick ride on a Street Triple R though and wow! Didn’t think I would like the bike at all but was seriously impressed. The bike was lighter than expected and great round corners. Riding position was much more comfortable than I thought and it sounded absolutely incredible.
    Yeah, it's an incredible ride. I took my month-old Twin in for a 500 mile oil and filter change and ended up trading it in the Triple R off the back of a test ride (those b*stards knew exactly what they were doing). It's a faultless bike.

I found the KTM had a very high riding position. I preferred the ride and power of the Scrambler over the Monster. The Scrambler had power low down revs and the monster the opposite, although it was smoother.
    Enjoy the tests.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    I found the KTM had a very high riding position. I preferred the ride and power of the Scrambler over the Monster. The Scrambler had power low down revs and the monster the opposite, although it was smoother.
    Enjoy the tests.
    Interesting - thanks. Will be interesting to compare the two back to back.

Right now though it’s the Street Triple R that they have to beat.

I do keep going back to this though (Husqvarna Vitpilen 701) I think it looks absolutely stunning. Reviews are all pretty positive and there are some good prices on them new at the moment. Only downside is the nearest dealer is about 100miles away!

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Gavin, try the Street RS as well. Its very similar to the R but has better suspension and a few other nice bits. The RS has a few more hp as well, not too noticeable, but its where it is that makes the difference. It loves to be revved like an in line 4. The R actually has a tad more torque low down so is easier to ride in traffic I suppose, but the extras on the RS are all top notch so IMO its a better buy, especially s/h or an dealer ex demo. I bought a demo RS and it had a load of Triumph extras on, love the thing. Both bikes are really superb and I’m sure you wont be disappointed in either.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Gavin, try the Street RS as well. Its very similar to the R but has better suspension and a few other nice bits. The RS has a few more hp as well, not too noticeable, but its where it is that makes the difference. It loves to be revved like an in line 4. The R actually has a tad more torque low down so is easier to ride in traffic I suppose, but the extras on the RS are all top notch so IMO its a better buy, especially s/h or an dealer ex demo. I bought a demo RS and it had a load of Triumph extras on, love the thing. Both bikes are really superb and I’m sure you wont be disappointed in either.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart - will have a look.

Craftsman
    I do keep going back to this though (Husqvarna Vitpilen 701) I think it looks absolutely stunning. Reviews are all pretty positive and there are some good prices on them new at the moment. Only downside is the nearest dealer is about 100miles away!

Agree, stunning looking bike. Managed to see on in the showroom whilst checking out the KTM/Husky enduro range

Another nice looking bike was the 1290 super adventure, it was kitted out with panniers etc and was sold to a customer at over 17k, it also had some engine mods which took it over the 175bhp barrier

Just spent an hour synchronising the carbs. It certainly feels a lot smoother now!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Just spent an hour synchronising the carbs. It certainly feels a lot smoother now!

Nice one....😎 Used to love doing this on my old Z’ds and GS’s.... had my own set of vac gauges, and used to charge my mates a £5er to balance their carbs..

Very satisfying👍👍

It’s the first time I’ve done it with these dial gauges, I’ve an old set of mercury gauges that I always used previously. Unfortunately the tubes are all yellow now so it’s difficult to read.

These were pretty good once I’d put the damper valves in the tubes.

It is a fiddly job though but as you say, satisfying once done and the difference is very noticeable.

Master
    New pipes for the Bobber... Shark peashooters. Eu approved, so no extra noise which is what I was after, but I love the old school look of the pipes..

So, after lots of test rides, reviews and changing my mind several times I settled on this;

Felt totally right when I got on it and genuinely rode it with a smile on my face during the test ride.

Picking it up Friday - so excited!!

Got a growing list of potential little future upgrades planned already...

Master
    So, after lots of test rides, reviews and changing my mind several times I settled on this;

Felt totally right when I got on it and genuinely rode it with a smile on my face during the test ride.

Picking it up Friday - so excited!!

Got a growing list of potential little future upgrades planned already...

Cant beat smiling during a test ride , looks like you have done your research and found the bike you like, enjoy.
    Before you bling it up join an owners club forum , often bits change hands for sensible prices as people upgrade or move on. Quick google brought me here
    https://www.scramblerforum.com/forum...rambler-uk.32/

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Cant beat smiling during a test ride , looks like you have done your research and found the bike you like, enjoy.
    Before you bling it up join an owners club forum , often bits change hands for sensible prices as people upgrade or move on. Quick google brought me here
    https://www.scramblerforum.com/forum...rambler-uk.32/
    Thanks. Found that forum already!
    I plan to ride it a bit and do some more research before buying any bits.

Master
    Due to my delicate knees coming into contact with the tank on occasion, usually on rough roads and there’s plenty of them. I decided on some tank knee pads..

I've posted a YouTube review of my Street Triple here, should anyone have some time to kill

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I've posted a YouTube review of my Street Triple here, should anyone have some time to kill
    Enjoyed that Tony. Nice review and interesting to hear your thoughts on the bike. I do think it’s one I will come back to at some point in the future...

Enjoyed that Tony. Nice review and interesting to hear your thoughts on the bike. I do think it’s one I will come back to at some point in the future...
    Thanks Gavin, appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Lovely bikes the KX 2 strokes, bought my son the KX100 back in the 90's, what an animal it was in the powerband, KX500 was also very popular
    I was into crossers in the late 80’s early 90’s
    I personally had a yz125 and a cr250
    Kx we’re nice bikes though
    In those days I think Rm bikes had serious issues involving chromed barrels if memory serves me right

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenw View Post
    I’m leaning towards Evotech as prefer aluminium over R&G’s SS, plus having looked at the Installation guides for both, their kit seems less invasive.
    Just ordered the R&G....will let you know how I get on.
    Here you go, fitted at the weekend. Quite easy when following the instructions;

Very pleased with how it looks, along with a new number plate and some black 3M wrap.
    Last edited by skmark; 1st May 2019 at 14:57.

Another test ride (with a strong possibility of a purchase):
    I've also ridden the 1290 Super Duke GT which, although it is a more versatile bike if you want to tour and has a few more bells and whistles, is 30lbs heavier than the "R" - decisions, decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Another test ride (with a strong possibility of a purchase):
    I've also ridden the 1290 Super Duke GT which, although it is a more versatile bike if you want to tour and has a few more bells and whistles, is 30lbs heavier than the "R" - decisions, decisions!

ive been looking at these myself and thinking of trading in my speed triple for the 1290r , prices on the used KTM's are strong , a 14 plate SDR is the same price as a 16 plate MT10 or BMW S1000r ...... mmm decisions.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Those 1290’s are a proper weapon you know. Last year on my Diavel went out round Wales with a lad on one, mate of a mate, and it was just a serial wheelie machine. Its like the bike hated its front wheel being on the ground at any time. Sounded nice with the Akra on as well. Mind you, heard its done the clutch now, no wonder me thinks.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    ive been looking at these myself and thinking of trading in my speed triple for the 1290r , prices on the used KTM's are strong , a 14 plate SDR is the same price as a 16 plate MT10 or BMW S1000r ...... mmm decisions.
    Not a smooth as the speed triple but...the power!

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Those 1290’s are a proper weapon you know. Last year on my Diavel went out round Wales with a lad on one, mate of a mate, and it was just a serial wheelie machine. Its like the bike hated its front wheel being on the ground at any time. Sounded nice with the Akra on as well. Mind you, heard its done the clutch now, no wonder me thinks.

Stuart

Intoxicating performance!
    Of course I would not ride like that

My mate runs a multi franchise bike shop and the super duke would be his weapon of choice.

Master
    Fitted some old school font Ducati emblems....

Before

After

^^^^
    Much better!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    ^^^^
    Much better!
    This Classic Ducati, and also looks great.

Enoch you are a man of taste , the bobber tank rubbers look good also.

Well done for having the vision to own these bikes and then just make them better with small touches.

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 2nd May 2019 at 18:05.

Had the worst rain I’ve ridden in for years on the way home last night. Kit was totally waterproof... apart from the summer gloves I was wearing. Any suggestions for drying them quickly without cracking?!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Had the worst rain I’ve ridden in for years on the way home last night. Kit was totally waterproof... apart from the summer gloves I was wearing. Any suggestions for drying them quickly without cracking?!
    I'd just let them air dry naturally, anything else you risk damaging them, out them outside on the washing line as a breeze might help dry them quicker, got a spare pair you can use?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I'd just let them air dry naturally, anything else you risk damaging them, out them outside on the washing line as a breeze might help dry them quicker, got a spare pair you can use?
    Thanks, thought as much! Yes I have spare winter gloves but need the summer ones tomorrow- hot or soggy hands will be the choice.

Kit was totally waterproof...
    Getting to your destination dry is great.
    Well designed gear is the go.
    I have Dainese gore tex, and Rukka gore tex touring suits.
    Both are absolutely brilliant. (Rukka is better, but not worth the price difference imho)
    I've come to the conclusion, that technically, there's no such thing as a waterproof suit.
    Sooner or later, water finds it's way in.
    The better the suit, the longer it takes...but if you ride long enough, it WILL get in eventually.
    I rode 440 miles in torrential rain on an autopista is Spain.
    4 miles from destination, one of the cuffs gives way...thankfully not a lot...
    As long as you're warm and basically maintaining core heat, a bit of water is no biggie.
    Riding in the wet demands a different skill set, and the satisfaction after a long day's slog in the wet can be great.
    You feel you really deserve that pint.
    Last edited by Tifa; 4th May 2019 at 01:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Fitted some old school font Ducati emblems....

Before

After

very nice , imo all it needs now is some frame plugs.

All true about riding on a tour, but remaining totally dry is critical when you’re commuting. It’s a bit embarrassing wandering round the office with a damp crotch or shirt

It’s a bit embarrassing wandering round the office with a damp crotch or shirt
    Hahahaaa....been there done that....worn the (wet) teeshirt....

Master
    Thanks, thought as much! Yes I have spare winter gloves but need the summer ones tomorrow- hot or soggy hands will be the choice.
    Cant beat hot hands to warm gloves , remember the Fourier formula

Q = K A delta T

So heat transfer Q is k ( the coefficient of heat of wet leather) eg quite high, A is the area of your palm, delta T is you 37.5 , outside air say 16 deg C . So if its warm you should be dry in 30 mins or less , give or take a day!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Cant beat hot hands to warm gloves , remember the Fourier formula

Q = K A delta T

So heat transfer Q is k ( the coefficient of heat of wet leather) eg quite high, A is the area of your palm, delta T is you 37.5 , outside air say 16 deg C . So if its warm you should be dry in 30 mins or less , give or take a day!
    Wow
    So deep

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Fitted a Sena 10U Bluetooth headset to my Shoei GT air. Really impressed with it so far great for music for long rides and call quality is excellent.

Did about 800 miles in the Peak District and environs with some mates this weekend.

Cold, wet and marvelous.

We're all at an age where we're happy to travel at a speed where we can look at the scenery rather than simply try hard not hit it.

We passed the Cat and Fiddle 4 times in the end. In this photo it was 3C but clear. This morning it was 4C and rain.

My heated grips are brilliant. My supposedly waterproof fabric suit, less so.

.......and for something completely different to the sensible and blingy on this thread....

Another weekend, another dooo.
    Bikes, mates, beer, fire and giggles.
    You know you`ve had a good weekend when you get home with a few hundred on the odo dazed and fazed, often battered bruised and bloodied, with filthy hands, a tongue like Ghandi`s flip flop, and stinkin` of wood smoke.

And before anyone pipes up, i already know;

Awsome! Love your lafuv!

I did some transplants this weekend to get the bike running.
    Just before the thunderstorm.

BUBI 0_0

Master
    This arrived today. Well chuffed with it...

Love that, really does hark back to the original.

Master
    Love that, really does hark back to the original.
    I agree - and I'm old enough to remember!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    This arrived today. Well chuffed with it...

Lovely! One of my favourite nakeds right now. Looks right, goes right, and priced right. Safe riding!

Master
    Love the z9... a very faithful tribute to the original..👍👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Love the z9... a very faithful tribute to the original..
    I disagree, it’s a good bike in its own right but it’s not akin to a Z1 IMHO.