closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 41 of 354 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,050 of 17667

Thread: More bike related stuff

Just been down the local Moto Guzzi dealer...

Taking out one of the new V85TT demo bikes next week. Look very nice in the flesh and ideal for the shorter-legged aspiring adventure bike rider.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Just been down the local Moto Guzzi dealer...

Taking out one of the new V85TT demo bikes next week. Look very nice in the flesh and ideal for the shorter-legged aspiring adventure bike rider.
    I sat on one last weekend and I was clearly shorter than your average shorter-legged aspiring adventure bike rider :-)

The V9 Bobber was a better fit though

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I sat on one last weekend and I was clearly shorter than your average shorter-legged aspiring adventure bike rider :-)

The V9 Bobber was a better fit though
    Was impressed in the flesh - what did you think?

Guy was in the showroom to collect the same bike and we got chatting. Currently on an Africa Twin but has had GSs in the past. He was really taken with it. Test ride lined up for Saturday so I'll see how it goes.

Was impressed in the flesh - what did you think?

Guy was in the showroom to collect the same bike and we got chatting. Currently on an Africa Twin but has had GSs in the past. He was really taken with it. Test ride lined up for Saturday so I'll see how it goes.
    I liked the look of it and seemed well put together but a little too tall for me (I've struggled with a BMW R80S/T and Tiger 1050 in the past and have decided not to struggle any more).

Pick up my struggle-free Street Scrambler on Thursday

More bike related stuff

I liked the look of it and seemed well put together but a little too tall for me (I've struggled with a BMW R80S/T and Tiger 1050 in the past and have decided not to struggle any more).

Pick up my struggle-free Street Scrambler on Thursday
    I know what you mean. Was put off the larger adventure bikes for the same reason really.

Edited to add a picture of the bike:

Last edited by j0hnbarker; 15th April 2019 at 19:08.

Master
    I know what you mean. Was put off the larger adventure bikes for the same reason really.

Edited to add a picture of the bike:

I’ve also been at looked at this, could well be my next bike. If you do buy just be aware that MG limit their bikes via the ecu from new until first service. Makes them run like a dog. Took me months of evidence gathering and arguing with my dealer / MG to get my V9 mapped back to stock. Insist the dealer flashes the map to stock before they hand it over.

Quote Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
    I’ve also been at looked at this, could well be my next bike. If you do buy just be aware that MG limit their bikes via the ecu from new until first service. Makes them run like a dog. Took me months of evidence gathering and arguing with my dealer / MG to get my V9 mapped back to stock. Insist the dealer flashes the map to stock before they hand it over.
    Good advice, thanks!

Presumably this map isn’t the one the demo bikes run, otherwise no one would buy?!

Master
    Good advice, thanks!

Presumably this map isn’t the one the demo bikes run, otherwise no one would buy?!
    You would assume so.

In my case the bike hit its rev limit @ around 3.5k which meant overtaking was impossible and even getting up a decent head of steam was difficult. Dealer rode it pre delivery and said no issue. There’s actually a line in the manual which says the bike won’t perform at its maximum until first service. I thought that just meant it needed a bit of break in, not that they would electronically limit the performance!!

Master
    Doesn’t sound like an electric limit , more an electric handcuff! Surely 3.5 k is barely motorway speeds. I have a soft spot for Guzzi’s since riding my pals LeMans 1 , it fitted so well given Im a short arse and I fely so planted. The torque on these twins is brilliant.

Two years ago at the Horizon Unlimited Adventure bike weekend there was a guy with a V7 stone, who had done his own thing! Bash guards, TKC’s wire wheels, high level exhaust, canvas saddlebags, it looked the dogs danglies.
    Last edited by higham5; 16th April 2019 at 19:17.

Master

Have you got a small license plate?

Got a letter from Northampton Police who didn't like my 7x5 license plate ... that's a first!
    I was photoed with a friend from one of their vans (who got a letter as well).

I'll take it on the chin - but the irony is they sent me the letter after being able to read my plate from the photo!

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Got a letter from Northampton Police who didn't like my 7x5 license plate ... that's a first!
    I was photoed with a friend from one of their vans (who got a letter as well).

I'll take it on the chin - but the irony is they sent me the letter after being able to read my plate from the photo!
    Damn! Fined?

Unlikely to be fined first time around.
    S.56 notice normally.

What a fantastic thread! Passed my Mod 1 and 2 on Monday. About to start the daunting choice of first proper bike so the debate and experiences are very valuable. Still don’t know what I want!!

Quote Originally Posted by GavinD View Post
    What a fantastic thread! Passed my Mod 1 and 2 on Monday. About to start the daunting choice of first proper bike so the debate and experiences are very valuable. Still don’t know what I want!!
    Fantastic, Gavin!!! What are you thinking in terms of a shortlist?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Fantastic, Gavin!!! What are you thinking in terms of a shortlist?
    Thanks Tony. I am looking at Ducati Scrambler Full throttle and the Monster 821. However having read this thread I am going to try a Striple R next week first 😂

Thanks Tony. I am looking at Ducati Scrambler Full throttle and the Monster 821. However having read this thread I am going to try a Striple R next week first 
    Haha... good shortlist. Suggest you add the Yamaha XSR700 and you’re good to go

Incredibly near miss this afternoon...

Pottering through rural Gloucestershire a deer dashed across the road from the right, straight in front of me.

I braked in case he changed direction but he disappeared into the hedge.

Bambi II then jumped out of the right hedge on an exact collision course with me, but luckily for me (but not Bambi II), the oncoming car hadn't slowed, clouted the deer hard and punted it just past my right side just brushing my back wheel.

Be careful out there chaps

Congrats!! It is a great feeling and perfect timing with the weather.

A day off today, nothing planned, sun shining and empty roads. What more do you need?!

Master
    Damn! Fined?
    £100 !!!

Pottering through rural Gloucestershire a deer dashed across the road from the right, straight in front of me.

Bambi II then jumped out of the right hedge on an exact collision course with me, but luckily for me (but not Bambi II), the oncoming car hadn't slowed, clouted the deer hard and punted it just past my right side just brushing my back wheel.

Glad you’re okay.

Today I was filtering on the outside of a long line of traffic that had come to a stop at a red light. As I approached the light, I noticed two things; firstly, there was a road to my right which could potentially allow drivers to escape the congestion. Secondly, there was a learner driver sitting in the queue of traffic immediately adjacent to that right hand turn.

As I approached, I reduced my speed and hovered over both breaks and clutch. Sure enough, without any warning whatsoever and only indicating at the point the manoeuvre was made, the learner took the right hand turn, causing me to carry out an emergency stop. Had I not been fully prepared to do just that, there is no way whatsoever that I could have avoided a collision.

Master
    Thanks Tony. I am looking at Ducati Scrambler Full throttle and the Monster 821. However having read this thread I am going to try a Striple R next week first 
    I had the Ducati scrambler as my first bike - I thought it did the job really well. Plenty of low down torque made it a nice easy ride.
    I did ride a Monster 821 when looking to change it ... I was surprised how sporty (tipped forward) the riding position was. Ended up with BMW R9T.

One of my daughters was not quite so lucky this morning..
    We had an early `phone call with her in a bit of a state after three or four deer shot out of the nearside hedge straight at her.
    She hit one on the front of the car which destroyed the bonnet, grille, bumper and damaged both wings and a second impacted the passenger-side door.

It`s a deer hot spot around here and i was a nanosecond away from hitting one on my motorbicycle late last year (in a similar location)as it ran across the road directly in front of two cars i was squirting past on a straight just as i was level with the car in front.
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 18th April 2019 at 19:58.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    I had the Ducati scrambler as my first bike - I thought it did the job really well. Plenty of low down torque made it a nice easy ride.
    I did ride a Monster 821 when looking to change it ... I was surprised how sporty (tipped forward) the riding position was. Ended up with BMW R9T.
    Interesting feedback. Thanks. Did 2 days of training last weekend on a KTM Duke 790. Really great bike, but I felt slightly pitched forward. I think riding position will be a really important factor in what I choose.

Master
    May be of some interest to those who commute on a bike

For around a week now I’ve been using one of the new Klim Hardanger all in one suits, we’ve had some very cold mornings, some heavy rain and some really nice weather and it’s been superb in everything (needs layers for cold because there’s no insulation). Getting it on and off over my normal work clothes is now a doddle in around 30 seconds- a minute still with my shoes on, I’ve been really impressed with it and might be worth a look to others who commute or even just instead of normal textiles.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    One of my daughters was not quite so lucky this morning..
    We had an early `phone call with her in a bit of a state after three or four deer shot out of the nearside hedge straight at her.
    She hit one on the front of the car which destroyed the bonnet, grille, bumper and damaged both wings and a second impacted the passenger-side door.

It`s a deer hot spot around here and i was a nanosecond away from hitting one on my motorbicycle late last year (in a similar location)as it ran across the road directly in front of two cars i was squirting past on a straight just as i was level with the car in front.
    They are quite solid. I hope your daughter is OK.

My lad drove me home on the same road tonight and, having told him about the deer, suggested he take it easy and be a bit more cautious.

So he only sped by about 10-20 mph

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post

For around a week now I’ve been using one of the new Klim Hardanger all in one suits, we’ve had some very cold mornings, some heavy rain and some really nice weather and it’s been superb in everything (needs layers for cold because there’s no insulation). Getting it on and off over my normal work clothes is now a doddle in around 30 seconds- a minute still with my shoes on, I’ve been really impressed with it and might be worth a look to others who commute or even just instead of normal textiles.
    Good to know, thank you!

Master
    Good to know, thank you!
    I took a punt of the size guide and ordered online it was spot on for me, others may want to try in store to see if they get on with the donning and removal although after a few days it just clicked and became very easy and fast I’d say faster than my usual 2 piece because of shoe removal and the dreaded trying to fasten pants and jacket together.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post

Very interesting. I looked at the reviews but they say the legs are very long. Looked at the Rukka Saana too but they don't have a short leg version yet and the Rukka trousers I have now are the short version but no such luck.

Master

Riding back at 9 pm in Sept 17 on my F650gs missus on the pillion , young deer just came straight at us and hit the rhs crash bar, knocked my missus leg off the peg. Wow we were so lucky it was a glancing blow. Just saw it in the corner of my eye prancing straight at us. I wouldn’t mind but I was running a Xenon headlight and two LED spots, so we were hardly difficult to spot. Bloody sucicidal animals.

Its made me very nervous riding the bike in the evening, and I use to ride home every night on 2:10 !

I then read deer are usually in twos , eg you miss first one , second one gets you!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post

I then read deer are usually in twos , eg you miss first one , second one gets you!
    I kept slowing on the basis there would be a second, but the second took a little longer than expected to pop out

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Well, all going well especially the weather, and me and my main ride buddy should be going on a Tour of Duty round North Wales on Sunday.

We plan to leave Warrington around 10ish, then head to our primary destination Barmouth. Not sure on the exact route yet, but will involve Mold, Ruthin, Bala, Betws Y Coed. Cant wait tbh, we went a couple of weeks back but it was chilly and not so many bikers out. Hopefully with the predicted warmer weather there will be more out this weekend. Anyone else out round that part of the world Sunday??

Stuart

Master
    Anyone planning on riding this weekend? On Saturday I'm planning on ride out from NW London 0900 up to OYB 1000 then to Stratford-upon-Avon and back again. Others welcome to join. Route will be no-motorways (my mantra) and aims to 'make progress'.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Anyone planning on riding this weekend? On Saturday I'm planning on ride out from NW London 0900 up to OYB 1000 then to Stratford-upon-Avon and back again. Others welcome to join. Route will be no-motorways (my mantra) and aims to 'make progress'.
    I would have joined you but I’ve had to make
    myself available to my other half. She’s working on Friday so needs a bit of a weekend!

Master
    I would have joined you but I’ve had to make
    myself available to my other half. She’s working on Friday so needs a bit of a weekend!
    If plans change for you, let me know!

Craftsman
    Picked this up last night, its been a while since previous enduro bike so glad to be back on the road. Planning on adding some supermoto wheels to make it a bit more fun

Didn’t get off to a good start though, ran out of fuel travelling home and had to push her 1 1/2 miles to nearest petrol station, it was a lovely evening though so could have been worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Picked this up last night, its been a while since previous enduro bike so glad to be back on the road. Planning on adding some supermoto wheels to make it a bit more fun

Didn’t get off to a good start though, ran out of fuel travelling home and had to push her 1 1/2 miles to nearest petrol station, it was a lovely evening though so could have been worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice, I can see it’s a KTM four stroke, which engine though?

I have fond memories of my Yamaha WRF400 in supermoto trim, it was a proper hooligan tool. Particularly so as it had an insanely loud White Power exhaust (for a little while at least!)

Out for a ride shortly, and will be using Calimoto for the first time. Anyone else use it for navigation and route planning (could have done with it on the ride-out, actually!)?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Nice, I can see it’s a KTM four stroke, which engine though?

I have fond memories of my Yamaha WRF400 in supermoto trim, it was a proper hooligan tool. Particularly so as it had an insanely loud White Power exhaust (for a little while at least!)
    Yes remember the WR well, a few of my friends had those gone by. I got the 500 but was nearly tempted by the 2 stroke 300 but thought for trail riding the 500 would suit me better although have fond memories of the 2 stroke mx, smell and ding ding 

Looking for supermoto wheels as we speak

Just to add, previous enduro was 2006 525 had from new, huge difference in weight saving, ergonomics around the bike etc with 2019 model
    Last edited by LRB255; 19th April 2019 at 11:02.

Yes remember the WR well, a few of my friends had those gone by. I got the 500 but was nearly tempted by the 2 stroke 300 but thought for trail riding the 500 would suit me better although have fond memories of the 2 stroke mx, smell and ding ding 

Looking for supermoto wheels as we speak

Just to add, previous enduro was 2006 525 had from new, huge difference in weight saving, ergonomics around the bike etc with 2019 model
    I ran a fleet of WRF450s when I was out in Spain. One customer brought his KTM525 out to ride. The KTM felt smaller and lighter with a nice soft power delivery whilst the WRFs were a bit more edgy.

I have a friend who, when we started trail riding, went though the entire KTM range before finally settling on an EXC200. Great for trail riding/enduro but the four strokes are better in SM mode (the exception may be the 300 EXC).

Great days, have fun!

^^^ Nice!!! Love the plate too :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    You might know this one it's not the quickest but it’s a good one.

Master
    Out for a ride shortly, and will be using Calimoto for the first time. Anyone else use it for navigation and route planning (could have done with it on the ride-out, actually!)?
    I've just been taking a look at Calimoto ... even the free version seems better than CoPilot which I've been using.

Let me know how if works on your ride. Sounds like I will be converting to this ... and we should be able to share routes more easily.

Reading this thread with envy.
    I’d love to have the courage to take this up but having spent so much time attending crash calls to A&E to work on riders who have been involved in an accident I would just feel too vulnerable.
    If you had seen some of the injuries and deaths I have and the aftermath for the families I suspect you would be scared off too.
    Be careful out there.

Picked this up last night, its been a while since previous enduro bike so glad to be back on the road.

Now that looks like a lot of fun..
    I once owned a road-legal KTM500 MX bike, now that was edgy lethal.
    I used to blat around the local back lanes wheelying from one corner to the next until i got caught out by the vicious power band one time and flipped it resulting in a busted foot and two weeks in hospital.
    Riding it home through town after the off trying to change gear with four broken metatarsals and road rash to my leg while attempting to attract as little attention as possible (impossible on a totally obnoxious MX machine) was a ride i`ll never forget.
    After that i converted it back to MX-spec and tried some track days, it was totally unmanageable and impossible to use in anger(for me at least). Massive respect to the Pro MX dudes of the day when these large and lairy 2 strokes were in their heyday.
    Happy daze....

Early on in my bike career i had something a little bit tamer but had massive amounts of fun on a TS250 at the local gravel pits;

I love trials bikes - i`ve just picked up a DR800 `Dr Big`.
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 7th May 2019 at 17:49.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I’d love to have the courage to take this up but having spent so much time attending crash calls to A&E to work on riders who have been involved in an accident I would just feel too vulnerable.
    If you had seen some of the injuries and deaths I have and the aftermath for the families I suspect you would be scared off too.
    Be careful out there.
    I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.

A few years ago I spent a quite happy 4 months as surgical SHO at Harrogate DGH, attending to A&E to see the various surgical admissions. Although the major trauma went down the road to Leeds we had our fair share of bikers in who'd had some mishap or other on the nice roads around Harrogate.

We also had out fair share of people with chainsaw injuries from trimming/felling trees, fractured clavicles from road/mountain bikers coming over their bars and the odd lover's fracture from people falling off ladders cleaning windows or unblocking guttering. Then there were the rugby and football injuries etc. etc. etc.

When I got my bike licence last year I weighed all this up and came to the conclusion pretty quickly that a life where all risk is mitigated as far as possible is a dull and painful existence not worth living. This was brought into sharp relief on the day I did my CBT and drove past a tree with some flowers and a bike helmet tied to it on the way to the bike school. I thought about turning back for a few moments, but I'm glad I didn't.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Be careful out there.
    I think you can use that argument about life in general though.....you'd end up never leaving your bed!
    I do think learning to ride a bike suits the young when you think you're invincible.
    If you can survive the first few years you learn some survival skills.
    As an old man riding around now it scares me watching middle aged men who ride like they still have a car shell round them.
    Thank God a lot of them are moving on the latest fad of lycra and cycles

Master
    Blog Entries
    A good place to ride to to near Stratford upon Avon, I found it by pure chance.
    It’s as much cars,expensive cars that is as bikes.
    I’ve only been midweek I was there yesterday,apparently it can get very,very busy.
    A bit false vintage,isn’t everything nowadays but a nice decor and philosophy.

https://caffeineandmachine.com/

Last edited by bwest76; 19th April 2019 at 17:14.

A friend of mine hit a deer a few years ago, he went through one of those chevron corner warning signs after going over the handlebars! Luckily all he had was a few bruises, but it made me very cautious on the roads round my way where they are found. Very stupid animals, but tasty

Well, ironically after all the talk about fauna-related accidents and near misses, this happened to me today. Gave me a right fright - I think it was a buzzard.