closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 38 of 358 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,900 of 17894

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    The Bobber is a fashion trinket. Triumph were jumping on the brat/bobber styling bandwagon that was in vogue a while back; a bit like beards, top knots and not washing your jeans. And like all fashions they eventually go out of fashion; a bit like beards, top knots and not washing your jeans. In 2 years time you won't be able to give these things away.
    I think "fashion trinket" is a bit strong... there'll always be a market for them, in the same way that there's always going to be a market for Harleys. It just won't be quite so big a market, and on the plus side it'll enable those who really want one (people into cruising rather than racing, those with physical limitations who need forward controls, those who are just a bit older and want comfort rather than performance, etc etc) to pick them up relatively cheaply.The Bobber is a very good bike, and the fact that it's triumph's biggest ever seller shouldn't be sneered at.

The Bobber is a fashion trinket. Triumph were jumping on the brat/bobber styling bandwagon that was in vogue a while back; a bit like beards, top knots and not washing your jeans. And like all fashions they eventually go out of fashion; a bit like beards, top knots and not washing your jeans. In 2 years time you won't be able to give these things away.
    I’ve just been massively amused by an image in my head of hundreds of clean-shaven men, with a penchant for perfectly normal tea, buying really cheap Bobbers and turning them into T100’s in the comfort of their sheds, whilst men with keychains hanging from their jeans shake their heads sadly and wonder what the world is coming to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I think "fashion trinket" is a bit strong... there'll always be a market for them, in the same way that there's always going to be a market for Harleys. It just won't be quite so big a market, and on the plus side it'll enable those who really want one (people into cruising rather than racing, those with physical limitations who need forward controls, those who are just a bit older and want comfort rather than performance, etc etc) to pick them up relatively cheaply.The Bobber is a very good bike, and the fact that it's triumph's biggest ever seller shouldn't be sneered at.

Hey, anything will sell if it's cheap enough so there will always be a market for a Bobber. But the Bobber was specifically created to address a particular fashion, ie the brat/bobber style since it was the in thing at the time. The Bobber sold like hotcakes 2 years ago and now they sit in showrooms unsold. That does tend to happen when things go out of fashion, good bike or not. It wouldn't surprise me if Triumph discontinued the Bobber within the next couple of years.

Hey, anything will sell if it's cheap enough so there will always be a market for a Bobber. But the Bobber was specifically created to address a particular fashion, ie the brat/bobber style since it was the in thing at the time. The Bobber sold like hotcakes 2 years ago and now they sit in showrooms unsold. That does tend to happen when things go out of fashion, good bike or not. It wouldn't surprise me if Triumph discontinued the Bobber within the next couple of years.
    Yes, I suspect you may be right - and that could apply to the whole modern classic/retro bike scene to a lesser extent as well.

Anyway (and in other news) i've pretty much decided that my next bike will be a Diavel S (this is a good review, actually). I want another good year out of my Triumph first, though.

Edit: test ride on the 1260 S booked for Saturday morning
    Last edited by learningtofly; 4th April 2019 at 11:16.

Tony I love that at the start of your biking journey you stated clearly you didn't want anything too powerful, fast forward a little while and you now have a test ride booked with a view to buy a 160bhp rocket ship, wish I could see your face when you wind the throttle back on that Diavel S

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Tony I love that at the start of your biking journey you stated clearly you didn't want anything too powerful, fast forward a little while and you now have a test ride booked with a view to buy a 160bhp rocket ship, wish I could see your face when you wind the throttle back on that Diavel S

The sound and speed of the Diavel is amazing. It's so addictive. The fact it looks cool is a bonus

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    The sound and speed of the Diavel is amazing. It's so addictive. The fact it looks cool is a bonus
    Yes, it's a thing of beauty. Anyway, OYB have just got the 2019 into stock and its being prep'd in the workshop today and tomorrow. I'll be the first person to ride it

It will try and pull your arms off, I'd really like a go on one of these too but worried I'd end up buying one

A new tank for one of these is £3000 btw

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Yes, yes, yes.... BUT can I fit a top box?

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    The Diavel I had was a joy to ride over 50mph. In slow moving traffic, stop start stuff it was plain horrible. The very nature of a big V Twin makes it like this, vibey, snatchy and lumpy. Sure it had bags of torque but at slow speeds it wasnt nice at all.

One of my mates has just taken delivery of a new Diavel S and weather permitting we may be out for a blast round Wales on Sunday so I’ll see what he thinks about it then.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    The Diavel I had was a joy to ride over 50mph. In slow moving traffic, stop start stuff it was plain horrible. The very nature of a big V Twin makes it like this, vibey, snatchy and lumpy. Sure it had bags of torque but at slow speeds it wasnt nice at all.

One of my mates has just taken delivery of a new Diavel S and weather permitting we may be out for a blast round Wales on Sunday so I’ll see what he thinks about it then.

Stuart

Noted, but it would be good to have some real life feedback. I suspect that the downsides of riding in traffic could be compensated by the upsides of not but I'll try to make sure that I experience both on the test ride.

Master
    On the subject of Diavels, I picked up my X on Tuesday... then had to ride it home through hail, snow, rain and mud, all on a brand new unscrubbed front tyre, great fun...

It looked like this when I left the shop

And like this by the time I’d got home... oh and despite a “full service” and checkover, it’s got no back brake so it’s going back when the weather improves..
    Other than that it’s a blast

Last edited by Enoch; 4th April 2019 at 15:02.

How does the riding position compare to the Bobber?

Stuart

Noted, but it would be good to have some real life feedback. I suspect that the downsides of riding in traffic could be compensated by the upsides of not but I'll try to make sure that I experience both on the test ride.
    My Gen 2 can be a little snatchy (clutch) when cold but when warm it is just a pussycat, until you feed it loads of fuel
    The 1260 Diavel S is easier to ride around town (geometry, riding position, fuelling and torque) and although the suspension can feel a little firm, it is good at speed...but for £20k I'd expect the suspension to have been improved over the Gen 1, 2 and X.
    Last edited by Stanford; 4th April 2019 at 14:55.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

More bike related stuff

My mate whos just got the 1260S Diavel had an X. He regularly complained about the back brake issue and got nowhere. If you read some of the forums it seems to be a common problem with them. He had the fluid changed, bled and god knows what but after a few miles it just faded and went again.

The Gen 2 Diavel had a twin spark head so that may have improved ride ability in slow traffic, but mine wasnt nice hot or cold. Whilst my mate had the X prior to swapping, I had a go on it and the engine (1260) actually produced a lot more vibrations than my Gen 1. These could be felt clearly through the bars and footrests.

Stuart

My mate whos just got the 1260S Diavel had an X. He regularly complained about the back brake issue and got nowhere. If you read some of the forums it seems to be a common problem with them. He had the fluid changed, bled and god knows what but after a few miles it just faded and went again.

The Gen 2 Diavel had a twin spark head so that may have improved ride ability in slow traffic, but mine wasnt nice hot or cold. Whilst my mate had the X prior to swapping, I had a go on it and the engine (1260) actually produced a lot more vibrations than my Gen 1. These could be felt clearly through the bars and footrests.

Stuart

I believe the problem with the back brake has to do with the location of rear brake components (cylinder/pipes) - the fluid gets cooked by the exhaust.
    It is indeed a twin spark, which probably did smooth things out a bit. Maybe because I'm used to big twins I don't really notice the vibrations.

Master
    How does the riding position compare to the Bobber?
    Mmm.. it’s different. I’ve just had a new seat with a gell insert on the Bobber, and it’s night and day different to the old seat in a good way...

The Diavel, seat and leg position seems ok for me (I’ve only done 40 miles on it), but the wide pull back bars feel a bit strange. I’d like to try some lower narrower lower bars, but it’s early days yet..

My gut feeling is that I could probably travel further on the Ducati, than the Triumph, before my crappy old legs decided they needed a break... I can happily do 100 miles on the Bobber, when I have to get off anyway as it’ll be low on fuel.
    I recon I should be able to do another 50 miles on the Ducati before needing a break...

The suspension on the Ducati gets some criticism for being to stiff, but compared to the Bobber it’s far more compliant..

I’ve done almost 3k miles on the Bobber, but only 40 on the Diavel, so I need a few more miles under my belt before I can give a real comparison..

One thing I do like, is the belt drive, never had a bike with it before, and I like how smooth it makes the transmission, compared to a chain
    Last edited by Enoch; 4th April 2019 at 15:13.

Yes, I suspect you may be right - and that could apply to the whole modern classic/retro bike scene to a lesser extent as well.

Anyway (and in other news) i've pretty much decided that my next bike will be a Diavel S (this is a good review, actually). I want another good year out of my Triumph first, though.

Edit: test ride on the 1260 S booked for Saturday morning
    .......I'll give you a month

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    .......I'll give you a month
    To be honest, Mark, I've just come through quite a long period without work and can't afford an impulsive bike upgrade at the moment; I also need to get some value out of the Striple, as I've only had it for about 4 or 5 months so far. With regard to the Diavel, I just want to know whether it's worth what might become something of a fixation for a future date, or alternatively whether it's just not for me. I suspect I already know the answer, but...

To be honest, Mark, I've just come through quite a long period without work and can't afford an impulsive bike upgrade at the moment; I also need to get some value out of the Striple, as I've only had it for about 4 or 5 months so far. With regard to the Diavel, I just want to know whether it's worth what might become something of a fixation for a future date, or alternatively whether it's just not for me. I suspect I already know the answer, but...
    Nothing wrong with planning ahead Tony, you never need to justify yourself to us lot on here....we're all just as bad. I've also got my eyes set on my 'next bike', though it'll be a while before my budget allows that too.

Last edited by skmark; 4th April 2019 at 17:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Mmm.. it’s different. I’ve just had a new seat with a gell insert on the Bobber, and it’s night and day different to the old seat in a good way...
    as I'm trying a Bobber tomorrow if the weather eases off, what gel seat did you get?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Nothing wrong with planning ahead Tony, you never need to justify yourself to us lot on here....we're all just as bad. I've also got my eyes set on my 'next bike', though it'll be a while before my budget allows that too.

We are indeed. I have only just sold my late model S1000RR and nearly new K1600 Bagger as being surplus to my requirements, yet today I preordered a Tenere 700 to run alongside my Scrambler X. Go figure. Worse than watches I say!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    as I'm trying a Bobber tomorrow if the weather eases off, what gel seat did you get?
    See post 119
    I had it custom made... the chap that made it can do pretty much whatever you want, standard of workmanship is excellent...
    I sourced my own gell from the USA,

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...s-Thread/page3

Why'd I never noticed we had a modification thread too. Could be a goldmine of information

Master
    Blog Entries

Everyone is welcome to this,theres a lot of civilians going as well you don’t have to be on a bike.
    300,000 soldiers feel angry and betrayed,all past differences have been laid aside we stand shoulder to shoulder.
    Some of the story’s of IRA killings Iam hearing about for the first time are chilling to say the least.

"On Friday 12 April 2019 groups of motorcyclists will be riding from all over Britain to both Westminster and the Scottish Parliament culminating simultaneously at 1300 hours with the London bound Riders riding over Westminster Bridge in a noisy but lawful support ride for Soldier F; Dennis Hutchings and all Veterans who have been or will be victims of prosecution condoned by the government they served.
    To date in excess of 7,000 riders are taking part with the numbers growing daily. They will be joined in London by supporters on foot. Veterans, their families and friends.
    Many of those taking part include supporters from (insert your local area here) Those of us going by motorcycle will be meeting at (location ) and setting off at .............. hours to join up with other groups riding from other areas.
    This will be a noisy but peaceful ride in support of our Veterans and to bring to the attention of the British Public the absolute travesty of justice affecting our Veterans (many of whom are elderly and in poor health) whilst known terrorists from the same conflict have been given pardons and letters of comfort guaranteeing them immunity from prosecution.
    I must emphasise at this point this is NOT a political protest it is a Support Ride to raise awareness of the plight of our Veterans and to make the public and Government aware of the feelings of supporters of our Armed Forces.
    Many of the Riders are themselves Veterans, or family and friends of Veterans - some of whom have this threat hanging over them too.
    The London ride is expected to culminate at 1300 hours in Parliament Square following a mass ride over Westminster Bridge. There will be rides taking place in other cities however the main ride will be to London with groups from Scotland, North England Wales Cornwall East and West Midlands joining together at prearranged RV points. A Ride will also be taking place in Paphos, Cyprus and support rides in the USA and Australia.
    It would be fantastic if anyone along the routes of the rides and into the cities would come out and give us a wave of support.
    I'd be grateful for any coverage you would offer for this as it affects not only those of us taking part but many others, including locally, who for whatever reason are unable to attend to support our Armed Forces and Veterans.
    The Riders setting off from all over the UK will join up at various RV points and meet up with the main rides into London who will be setting off from London Gateway M1 Southbound; South Mimms A1; Heston Services M4 Eastbound; Clacket Lane Services M25 and Thurrock Services A13/M25.
    We will all ride into the City and ride over Westminster Bridge endeavouring to be there for 1300 hours to co-incide with the Riders in Scotland arriving outside the Scottish Parliament."
    Please bear in mind your local newspaper or radio station may request an interview with you. If you agree to this please ensure that you make it clear any statement you make is your opinion alone and that you are not speaking on behalf of the Organisers of the Ride.
    If they require any additional information from the Organisers please give them my details as follows:-
    Berni Wilkins
    Press Officer 07976 201764
    Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Ride
    Questions you may be asked.
    Why are you taking part in this protest. Answer This is not a protest. then go on to explain why you are taking part.
    Are you a Veteran - Did you serve in Northern Ireland,
    Do you know Soldier F; Do you know his name/where he comes from.
    Do you know Dennis Hutchings or any of those who may be prosecuted.
    What do you hope to achieve by taking part in this protest. (they will try to trip you up by saying protest again) Answer - As I said it is not a protest. then go on to answer.
    Please be courteous and polite. Be mindful of ensuring the safety and security of your own personal details and inform whoever is interviewing you if you don't want them published. Pllease also bear this in mind if mentioning anyone else by name you need to obtain their permission first.
    THE ROLLING THUNDER MOTORCYCLE RIDE ORGANISERS, ADMIN TEAM AND MEMBERS CANNOT BE HELD LIABLE OR RESPONSIBLE FOR BREACHES OF PERSONAL DATA BY INDIVIDUALS"

Very nice. So - when does it arrive!!

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Very nice. So - when does it arrive!!
    I wish! I've had a tough year financially, so it's not going to happen for many months yet.

Very nice Tony! I must go up there sometime and have a ride on the 2019 Scrambler Full Throttle......although historically I've always found 'test rides' to be a bad thing as it just increases the 'need' . The only bike I've ever test rode and not ended up buying at some point was the BMW F800ST......just didn't feel right.

Very nice Tony! I must go up there sometime and have a ride on the 2019 Scrambler Full Throttle......although historically I've always found 'test rides' to be a bad thing as it just increases the 'need' . The only bike I've ever test rode and not ended up buying at some point was the BMW F800ST......just didn't feel right.
    I did swing a leg over the Scrambler 1100 actually, Mark... nice size. (As you know, I'm very much aware of the dangers of test-riding!)

Master
    I knew you’d like it Tony.... checking the spec, it’s pretty much the same as my XDiavel, but with a shorter wheelbase and normal footpeg position...👍

I knew you’d like it Tony.... checking the spec, it’s pretty much the same as my XDiavel, but with a shorter wheelbase and normal footpeg position...
    Yeah, what's not to like?

Had a great ride to Ypres, yesterday, for a spot of lunch with a dozen or so other Ducati riders.
    There is something for everyone in their range

Groundrush has the right of it.
    Just wait until the existing Bobber PCP deals expire....12 months time?
    Bobber market will go free fall.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Groundrush has the right of it.
    Just wait until the existing Bobber PCP deals expire....12 months time?
    Bobber market will go free fall.
    Bit like the Japanese sports bike market then..

I was at the Triumph factory the other week, they can’t make Bobbers fast enough.

Bit like the Japanese sports bike market then..

I was at the Triumph factory the other week, they can’t make Bobbers fast enough.
    Which probably confirms Groundrush’s assessment.
    It is definitely in vogue and sells like hot cakes.
    Those owners whose riding fits the Bobber have a great bike.
    Triumph is making its money.
    Then loads of owners will want to move it on so second hand market prices will be comparatively low.
    It will find a new life at its new price.
    Triumph will come out with a new bike and try to make it trendy, too. Not an easy task at all, but one they definitely achieved with the Bobber.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

the diavel is a very nice bike but its not my type of bike atm (im under 60 :P ) , im still messing about looking at superduke r's and mt10's .

Master
    - - - Updated - - -

Tony nice review of the Diaval , better because it wasnt done by a promoted rider. As a suggestion blur your speed in the 60 zone. So as the others have said how much is the Striple up for? 

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony nice review of the Diaval , better because it wasnt done by a promoted rider. As a suggestion blur your speed in the 60 zone. So as the others have said how much is the Striple up for?
    Oh, thanks very much. I have tried to use the YouTube blur feature and that on my default video editor (Movavi) without success, but I’ll work on it until I get it right.

Seriously, now, I’ve had a horrendous 12 months with loads of unplanned expenses and very patchy work coming in. If it wasn’t for that I’d be ordering already but I really am going to have to wait a while.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 8th April 2019 at 16:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Which probably confirms Groundrush’s assessment.
    It is definitely in vogue and sells like hot cakes.
    Those owners whose riding fits the Bobber have a great bike.
    Triumph is making its money.
    Then loads of owners will want to move it on so second hand market prices will be comparatively low.
    It will find a new life at its new price.
    Triumph will come out with a new bike and try to make it trendy, too. Not an easy task at all, but one they definitely achieved with the Bobber.
    I agree with everything you’ve said there Marc, except that Triumph didn’t make the bobber trendy. They spotted the trend for home made brat/bobber styled bikes and jumped on the bandwagon.

They did it rather well though!

Master
    Oh, thanks very much. I have tried to use the YouTube blur feature and that on my default video editor (Movavi) without success, but I’ll work on it until I get it right.

Seriously, now, I’ve had a horrendous 12 months with loads of unplanned expenses and very patchy work coming in. If it wasn’t for that I’d be ordering already but I really am going to have to wait a while.
    Tony next time you test ride a bike take some insulating tape and just cover up the offending LCD display then...........give it some👍

Agreed, I could have worded it better. What Triumph did was to make a bike in that existing trend that would appeal to people who wanted one ready to go, without having to go through the modification process. Without stopping anyone from modifying it if they so chose.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, but I never did understand test riding/driving with no intention to buy. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Sorry, but I never did understand test riding/driving with no intention to buy. Why?
    Don't do it, then.

I don't expect dealers or bricks & mortar bike gear stores - to be a "Try before I buy......... elsewhere" facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    The bike I've got at the moment is brilliant. Before committing to a change, I've been test riding to see if I enjoy riding something else more.

And I've learnt from riding 4 of the new Harley Softails, all of which felt very different, that simply having the same engine and chassis doesn't make bikes the same.

Only by riding a few bikes have I decided that I might buy another one. I didn't know this before I rode some.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I don't expect dealers or bricks & mortar bike gear stores - to be a "Try before I buy......... elsewhere" facility.
    Nor do I, however as a rival dealer has a far better deal in place, I'm asking the dealer that provided a test ride to see what they can do to convince me to buy local.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Don't do it, then.
    Honour says why would I? Hi, that’s a nice 992 911 Carrera 2S. Can I just take it out for a blast, with no intention on my part to buy? WTF.

What about courtesy bikes?

I booked myself for an MOT next month and BMW offered pretty much the full range to choose from.

Could have had a G310 GS but I went for the S1000R instead as it seemed rude not to. Tough call between that and the new R1250R but BHP won the day.