closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 333 of 359 FirstFirst ... 233283323331332333334335343 ... LastLast
Results 16,601 to 16,650 of 17913

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That's the biking community for you. There's nothing quite like it.
    The befriending bit, the telling you your bike is in sore need of a wash bit, or both?

Apparently riding the 36 miles over to Masham on a cold November morning was "brave", but my Cyclone suit did a pretty good job. Just need some neck protection, otherwise on the nippy end of happy.

Getting to Masham was a big thing for me: it's getting into the Dales that I want to do, above all else, so getting the journey to their doorstep under my belt so soon feels very good.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 12th November 2023 at 18:58. Reason: Spellign. And grammer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The befriending bit, the telling you your bike is in sore need of a wash bit, or both?

Apparently riding the 36 miles over to Masham on a cold November morning was "brave", but Cyclone suit did a pretty good job. Just need some neck protection, otherwise on the nippy end of happy.

Getting to Masham was a big thing for me: it's getting into the Dlaes that I want to do, above all else, so getting the journey to their doorstep under my belt so soon feels very good.
    Chapeau for getting out in the bad weather. Just keep an eye on the “ frictionless trinity” we are currently blessed with. By me we have:
    Autumn leaves
    Sh1t and sludge scoured out by the heavy rain
    Farmers doing muddy things to adjacent fields resulting in long lengths of muddy roads.

The results a real cocktail of slipperyness.

Apparently riding the 36 miles over to Masham on a cold November morning was "brave", but Cyclone suit did a pretty good job. Just need some neck protection, otherwise on the nippy end of happy.

Getting to Masham was a big thing for me: it's getting into the Dlaes that I want to do, above all else, so getting the journey to their doorstep under my belt so soon feels very good.
    Probably both, actually.

Are you planning to ride through the winter (I do, albeit most on here seem not to)? If so a warm snood, some thermals (merino wool/Outland as opposed to cotton) and some properly toasty gloves would all be money well spent.

The gear I bought was chosen to be warm enough for the winter weather round here - they've nice cosy thermal layers that can be unzipped when we get our three week summer. I love the way the trousers and jacket zip together, now wishing all my clothes did that. Any colder than today (it was 3° when I left) and I would be too nervous about ice in the shady lanes to go out, I think. But the neck needs some protection.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Chapeau for getting out in the bad weather. Just keep an eye on the “ frictionless trinity” we are currently blessed with. By me we have:
    Autumn leaves
    Sh1t and sludge scoured out by the heavy rain
    Farmers doing muddy things to adjacent fields resulting in long lengths of muddy roads.

The results a real cocktail of slipperyness.
    I'm quite enjoying have my L plates as an excuse for going at deeply sensible speeds on these country roads, as I can't imagine ever wanting to negotiate my way around all this crud much faster.

For the time being I'm not just plotting routes in advance on Google Maps, I'm also using Street View to inspect the roads, and changing my plans when I've picked something which looks certain to be too risky for a novice at this time of year. Also enjoying using Street View for getting to know the roundabouts, seeing which lane I'll be asked to use etc. I probably spend as much time studying the route as riding it.....

Probably both, actually.

Are you planning to ride through the winter (I do, albeit most on here seem not to)? If so a warm snood, some thermals (merino wool/Outland as opposed to cotton) and some properly toasty gloves would all be money well spent.
    I used to ride all year round and did so in some atrocious wather (Bloodbikes) and equally important - if not ever more so - to heated gloves is a heated vest. I've still got my Chillie wired vest from many years ago but if that ever gives up then I'll be replacing it with one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable-...0B1HSLPH2?th=1

These being rechargable are even better than hard-wiring as they continue keeping you warm when off the bike.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Swapped Google Maps onto satellite view, and gathered outside Bordar House Teas in Masham are a load of bikes, just like this morning.

£1.80 for a cuppa, £3.40 for a roll, orders taken through a window in the kitchen.

Craftsman

More bike related stuff

Swapped Google Maps onto satellite view, and gathered outside Bordar House Teas in Masham are a load of bikes, just like this morning.

£1.80 for a cuppa, £3.40 for a roll, orders taken through a window in the kitchen.
    Wait until you see it in the summer- you can barely get parked! Helmsley, over on the moors is probably within easy riding distance for you and also we’ll worth a visit. There’ll be bikes there almost everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Wait until you see it in the summer- you can barely get parked! Helmsley, over on the moors is probably within easy riding distance for you and also we’ll worth a visit. There’ll be bikes there almost everyday.

Double post

Master
    I can't imagine not riding all year, both for pleasure and on IAM/Blook bike stuff. The thought of locking my bike in the garage for 6 months of every year. What a waste!

i did the all weather riding to work etc when i was younger , now i'll go out on a cold dry day right until the salt goes down then the bike goes away - riding in freezing crappy weather is what the car is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Helmsley, over on the moors is probably within easy riding distance for you and also we’ll worth a visit.
    I've already discovered Helmsley, after missing a turn somewhere near Wombleton. I think I might have passed through before, years ago; if so, I had definitely forgotten how lovely it is. The next good day, I'll be going up to Hutton-le-Hole and then on to the kilns at the top of Chimney Bank to enjoy the view over Rosedale Abbey.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I can't imagine not riding all year
    Round here, trying to work out which six months are the good ones could drive you nuts. The end of the year is solidly rubbish, but the other 10 months reserve the right to do whatever they choose. So I figured the best plan is to be permanently on the lookout for decent days, and to be never surprised if they change mood halfway through, and to suck it all up cheerfully.

Master
    I'

Round here, trying to work out which six months are the good ones could drive you nuts. The end of the year is solidly rubbish, but the other 10 months reserve the right to do whatever they choose. So I figured the best plan is to be permanently on the lookout for decent days, and to be never surprised if they change mood halfway through, and to suck it all up cheerfully.
    They used to say “ If you dont like the weather in the Lake district, hang around 20 mins as it will change” . The Dales can be just the same.

Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    i did the all weather riding to work etc when i was younger , now i'll go out on a cold dry day right until the salt goes down then the bike goes away - riding in freezing crappy weather is what the car is for.
    I am the same,I dont enjoy it.

So the bike has been sorned, the tank and carbs run dry, a big clean, tommorow take the battery indoors for safe keeping.

Master

I think that's a good approach. I'm fortunate to have easy access to both North Wales and the Peak District. Heading south I can enjoy the A483 or to the North, scoot around Manchester and get into the Trough or Dales quite quickly. So, when the weather's a bit iffy, I have a look at the forecast and choose the least-worst option. Having the right kit is, of course, pretty vital.

They used to say “ If you dont like the weather in the Lake district, hang around 20 mins as it will change” . The Dales can be just the same.

Steve
    The same applies to both Devon and Cornwall, although it could be changed to 'If you don't like the weather there ride/drive for 20 mins'.

In Cornwall you can go from the English Channel to the Celtic Sea in that time and in Devon you can choose between the English Channel and either the Celtic Sea or the Bristol Channel - albeit that might take a bit longer. But in south Devon the weather can oftn change considerably between coast and inland, e.g. from the beach to Dartmoor.

Case in point, yesterday we left the coast with lashing rain, high winds and 10/10ths cloud and arrived half an hourr later on Dartmoor to sunshine, blue skies and hardly a breeze.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    I used to commute year round, but now I only ride for pleasure. I quite like riding on a crisp winters day provided the roads are dry and not salty.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

In Masham I came across a group of bikers meeting up for tea and bacon rolls, who befriended me instantly..... I got told that my bike needed a clean!
    One trip to Infinity to buy some Muc-Off and a good first attempt has been made. Think I need a tickling stick of some sort to complement my sponge, that's definitely too blunt a tool.

One trip to Infinity to buy some Muc-Off and a good first attempt has been made. Think I need a tickling stick of some sort to complement my sponge, that's definitely too blunt a tool.
    I find these quite useful.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pack-Drill-...6&sr=8-24&th=1

R

A kit with some brushes is a good idea, such as this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GADLANE-Cle...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Master
    Blog Entries

Dont leave it on to long it dulls the paintwork.

I only use it neat on oily bits I have another bottle diluted for everywhere else.

A good old paintbrush is good in a lot of areas.

These are the best/softest clothes and cheap.

Different colours so I use one colour for engine and muck another for bodywork and the same for drying.

I use another to clean my visor and lid.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/ca...ck-300286.html
    Last edited by bwest76; 13th November 2023 at 16:59.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Oh amazing I'll enjoy using that, definitely a proper tickling stick. Just need to buy a drill.....
    Last edited by Der Amf; 13th November 2023 at 18:25.

Master
    Go easy with Muc Off as others have said it dulls paint. The BMW R1200GS had lots of problems with paint peeling off the front of their engines. Any mention of using Muc Off was met with “ invalidated warranty “.

Get a good mud flap on the front and a hugger plus a tickling stick type brush if you want a clean engine.

If you want less maintenance and a lovely tidy engine for next spring summer go the AC50 route. Lots and lots of year round bikers swear by it. Ive never used it because I cant get past the engine looking grubby all the time. However I do use Waxoyl on the swing arm / stand/ base of the engine that you cant see and are difficult to clean. Come spring a wipe down with a white spirit soaked rag shows bright shiny paintwork.

I think I can safely claim that I'll be in no danger of overusing the stuff....

Master
    Seeing your trip reports has me itchy and needing to ride. I took my GS up the volcano in Iceland a few years ago, anyone know if they are permitting bikes into the higher risk areas ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Seeing your trip reports has me itchy and needing to ride. I took my GS up the volcano in Iceland a few years ago, anyone know if they are permitting bikes into the higher risk areas ?
    Joe I would give Tim that led your trip an email. He has some contacts in Iceland who advise him on road closures and weather prior to his summer trips.

Master
    Joe I would give Tim that led your trip an email. He has some contacts in Iceland who advise him on road closures and weather prior to his summer trips.
    I think I know most of Tim’s men on the ground. Can’t help but think if I shop a bike there I can go discover for myself where the closures are. Tim would be on dirt track, goat track and through the rivers anyway. I’m just happy with the dirt tracks.

My boots got melted last time we stood on lava so ranked number 5 on the stupidest things I ever did.

Up in Hutton-le-Hole, pushing my luck with the weather. The road north of Slingsby isn't one I'll be trying again, one long bendy strip of mud.

Up in Hutton-le-Hole, pushing my luck with the weather. The road north of Slingsby isn't one I'll be trying again, one long bendy strip of mud.
    You are about five minutes from me, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    You are about five minutes from me, enjoy!
    I wasn't intending to quite so far, but I couldn't resist getting officially into the Moors Had a coke in the Crown and set off home.

Managed to take a wrong turning on the way home and ended up on an unknown road which had been thoughtfully carpeted in mud. As a result, 73 miles in one ride, my new record.

Fifteen minutes from home, the heavens opened, and I learnt that poor visibility whilst going through urban sprawl at teatime isn't one of my favourite things.

PS bike filthy again

I wasn't intending to quite so far, but I couldn't resist getting officially into the Moors Had a coke in the Crown and set off home.

Managed to take a wrong turning on the way home and ended up on an unknown road which had been thoughtfully carpeted in mud. As a result, 73 miles in one ride, my new record.

Fifteen minutes from home, the heavens opened, and I learnt that poor visibility whilst going through urban sprawl at teatime isn't one of my favourite things.

PS bike filthy again
    On the other hand, great experience (and well done).

Master

PS bike filthy again
    What were you saying about not using Muc Off that often ……………..;) ;) ;)

PS bike filthy again
    As Tony says, all good experience. Helmsley (about ten miles from Hutton-le-Hole) was my local meeting point before we headed off for a ride, it really is a fantastic area for biking.

Rode 30 miles each way yesterday to enjoy a double sausage baguette at the Original Tea Hut in Epping Forest, to find to my horror that they only take cash. A kind soul in the queue stood me a cup of coffee, but by the time I’d ridden back into Epping town I thought “f*ck it” and had a toasted sandwich in Starbucks instead

Rode 30 miles each way yesterday to enjoy a double sausage baguette at the Original Tea Hut in Epping Forest, to find to my horror that they only take cash. A kind soul in the queue stood me a cup of coffee, but by the time I’d ridden back into Epping town I thought “f*ck it” and had a toasted sandwich in Starbucks instead
    Always keep a couple of £10 notes sealed under the seat, or rolled up in a stash-tube house keyring.

You never know when you may have to get someone to pay for fuel for you, or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Always keep a couple of £10 notes sealed under the seat, or rolled up in a stash-tube house keyring.

You never know when you may have to get someone to pay for fuel for you, or whatever.
    Yeah, lesson learnt!

"by the time I’d ridden back into Epping town I thought “f*ck it” and had a toasted sandwich in Starbucks instead"
    You must have had the munchies Tony, Starbucks!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    You must have had the munchies Tony, Starbucks!?!?
    It’s a ride and destination I do often, Duncan. Great route and I can pavement park right outside Starbucks and do some people watching for an hour or so before heading back.

Last edited by learningtofly; 18th November 2023 at 12:20.

Love it there Tony, one of the first places the instructors took us when I took my lessons. Me and a mate were there a few weeks back, a cup of tea and a bacon roll always goes down well.

Helmsley (about ten miles from Hutton-le-Hole) was my local meeting point before we headed off for a ride
    What are the Helmsley and Rosedale Abbey equivalents of Masham's Bordar House Teas, please? (I've already found their public conveniences on Google Maps!)

If there's a nice day next week will take a ride beyond Hutton up along Blakey Ridge. Tomorrow I hope to take advantage of Sunday morning to get to know some the main roads. Had my first bit of dual carriageway the other day. Enjoyed setting my highest speed so far (67mph according to the bike but I'm 100% certain that's at least 5mph of rider-flattering nonsense) but even more enjoyed knowing that everyone who wanted to pass me could!
    Last edited by Der Amf; 18th November 2023 at 14:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Love it there Tony, one of the first places the instructors took us when I took my lessons. Me and a mate were there a few weeks back, a cup of tea and a bacon roll always goes down well.
    I've been a few times before, so should have remembered the cash only issue. It's certainly worth the ride, though, and has a fantastic biker-related heritage. And a bloody good sausage (which you should get next time, Greg.)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th November 2023 at 15:42.

What are the Helmsley and Rosedale Abbey equivalents of Masham's Bordar House Teas, please? (I've already found their public conveniences on Google Maps!)

If there's a nice day next week will take a ride beyond Hutton up along Blakey Ridge. Tomorrow I hope to take advantage of Sunday morning to get to know some the main roads. Had my first bit of dual carriageway the other day. Enjoyed setting my highest speed so far (67mph according to the bike but I'm 100% certain that's at least 5mph of rider-flattering nonsense) but even more enjoyed knowing that everyone who wanted to pass me could!
    There aren’t really any specific biker tea shops/hang outs in either place, but you will find that they are all biker friendly. The White Horse pub at Rosedale is a lovely place to stop, lovely views. It’s just out of the village heading up Chimney bank, (heading back over to Hutton-le-Hole), word of warning though, you need to be confident in your clutch and throttle control, and your gear changes, it’s incredibly steep! Don’t go there if there is a chance of ice.

There aren’t really any specific biker tea shops/hang outs in either place, but you will find that they are all biker friendly. The White Horse pub at Rosedale is a lovely place to stop, lovely views. It’s just out of the village heading up Chimney bank, (heading back over to Hutton-le-Hole), word of warning though, you need to be confident in your clutch and throttle control, and your gear changes, it’s incredibly steep! Don’t go there if there is a chance of ice.
    I know Chimney Bank well, and there's no danger of my attempting it any time soon! Going to get used to Bulmer Bank and the hill going north from Hovingham to Nunnington before I consider anything like that.

I shall pootle around the easy way to admire the view and then go back the way I came

Master
    I've been a few times before, so should have remembered the cash only issue. It's certainly worth the ride, though, and has a fantastic biker-related heritage. And a bloody good sausage (which you should get next time, Greg.)
    No cash - no problem .. no loos - except for the woods - is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    No cash - no problem .. no loos - except for the woods - is annoying.
    True dat (and particularly challenging for me in my present circumstances).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd November 2023 at 08:42.

Yesterday the forecast made staying at home sensible, but today offered nothing but the daintiest drizzle, so first of all did the Malton main road, then up through Pickering to Rosedale. Retraced my footsteps back onto the main road and came home through Helmsley and Hovingham, 80 miles in total, with a coffee in the Coach House Inn in Rosedale. The weather up there was very much saying, no further than here, sunshine, so I wasn't going to go on, but apparently the road north of there is closed at the moment?

Yesterday the forecast made staying at home sensible, but today offered nothing but the daintiest drizzle, so first of all did the Malton main road, then up through Pickering to Rosedale. Retraced my footsteps back onto the main road and came home through Helmsley and Hovingham, 80 miles in total, with a coffee in the Coach House Inn in Rosedale. The weather up there was very much saying, no further than here, sunshine, so I wasn't going to go on, but apparently the road north of there is closed at the moment?
    Don’t know about the road closure, but yes, if you head up towards Blakey ridge from Rosedale it’s a nice ride. Cup of tea at the Lion Inn and back down to Hutton le Hole, just watch out for the sheep!

Master
    Hope you have booked your first 600 mile service , at the rate you are racking up miles you will be doing an Enoch. Pick up bike (always a Triumph) Saturday, 600 mile service booked for following Thursday:) :)

Hope you have booked your first 600 mile service , at the rate you are racking up miles you will be doing an Enoch. Pick up bike (always a Triumph) Saturday, 600 mile service booked for following Thursday:) :)
    😁 I was just doing the sums. I'm on 406 miles. Another big ride and a medium one will get me to 560. Miles Kingsport in Hull is 40 away. So I need to book myself in for Thurs 30 Nov - exactly a month after I picked it up.

^^^Always good to see a bike being ridden regularly!