closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 307 of 358 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309317357 ... LastLast
Results 15,301 to 15,350 of 17892

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    You should be blown away by the Ohlins-shod model then! Brakes should be marginally better too (higher spec Brembo than the bog-standard Brembo calipers). Bog-standard Brembos are no better than many of the OEM calipers despite being ‘monobloc’.

Should be a very satisfying road bike !
    The reality (well, certainly the perceived wisdom) is that the R is a better road bike. However, the RS would be pretty hard to resist if faced with the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The reality (well, certainly the perceived wisdom) is that the R is a better road bike. However, the RS would be pretty hard to resist if faced with the choice.
    Perhaps people simply jump on it and find the suspension too harsh for the crap uk roads? Might need to avail themselves of the adjustability to get the most out of their superior damping.

Sounds a nice bike Tony, fingers crossed for you, not just saying this but the initial reading of this threads years ago was the kick up the backside I needed to re-do my bike CBT and then pass my tests, wish id done it years ago but a wife and newborn at the time put paid to that idea (I'm blaming you for my bike spending haha).

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Sounds a nice bike Tony, fingers crossed for you, not just saying this but the initial reading of this threads years ago was the kick up the backside I needed to re-do my bike CBT and then pass my tests, wish id done it years ago but a wife and newborn at the time put paid to that idea (I'm blaming you for my bike spending haha).
    Sorry

Funnily enough, my son taking his CBT and buying a scooter was the catalyst for me. I'd been saying to my wife for 3 or 4 years that i wanted to get back on two wheels again and was getting a flat no each time. When Sam got his scooter - or rather, when I bought his scooter for him! - I changed tack and just said I'm no longer asking, I'm getting a bike.

I rode from age 17 to about 25, but never went above 250cc. For some reason I never took my test, though, which is probably a good thing. Jumping straight on a bike after 30+ years may not have ended well.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    New bike day

Stuck the Racefit end can on when I got home & the difference it makes is astounding. Loads more & much louder pops & bangs on the over run.

I'm absolutely over the moon with this bike.
    A bit late to the party but that looks awesome

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Good move… now you won’t have to acknowledge other riders with a nod or a wave anymore.🤪🤪
    What makes you think I did that in the first place? ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    What makes you think I did that in the first place? ;)
    Guzzi rider….they always wave👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you ride a Royal Enfield take a look on SC.

Master
    Guzzi rider….they always wave
    Thats not a wave, they are having a tank slapper and trying to summon assistance:)

Woke up at silly o clock this morning so obviously got the bike out and went for a ride in the New Forest and surrounding area before the numpties in their cages and vans spoilt the empty roads.
    The only thing that slightly marred an otherwise fine ride was the state of some of the road surfaces (not the NF ones they were fine), even the compliant, pliable suspension of a GS was not enough to prevent me wincing and uttering expletives as i crashed and thumped my way around Hampshire (and Wiltshire) County Councils finest highways and byeways..
    Fairly chilly at 5a.m. too, - 8 degrees. Heated seat`n`grips were used!

Apparently the GS suspension is not what it used to be!

I'm always wary of riding those kind of roads early morning/evenings - because of deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    New to me. Cant say Im not smitten!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very nice.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Very nice.
    Has your bike just been recalled Andy? problem with the brakes

Master

I'm always wary of riding those kind of roads early morning/evenings - because of deer.
    Dont you have a deer whistle on the bike? We hit a young deer on my GS , certainly shook us up and could have been infinitely more serious. On of the Scottish lads at a UKGSER event recommended deer whistles. They are 2 for £3.50 on the bay. Dont know if they work but all our vehicles have one fitted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Andy won’t know , he doesn’t use em :)

Indeed, no evidence they work but as long as it doesn’t attract anything it’s a very small expense.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Dont you have a deer whistle on the bike? We hit a young deer on my GS , certainly shook us up and could have been infinitely more serious. On of the Scottish lads at a UKGSER event recommended deer whistles. They are 2 for £3.50 on the bay. Dont know if they work but all our vehicles have one fitted.
    No, was a bit wary because they put up “Deer Crossing” signs on many roads and that seemed to attract the buggers !

Master
    “You can’t park there”

Master
    New bike arrived yesterday. After my 11 month/11,000 mile Triumph Tiger experiment, it feels great to be back on a GS. Hopefully, I've learned something.

Thought I'd better take a picture while it is clean.

So true on both counts, no more `magic carpet ride`, and the deer are always a danger......

In fact, when my mate visited Australia a few years ago he brought back some Kangaroo scarers - small devices attached to the fairing that act like a whistle when the airflow goes through them emitting a high pitch sound.
    They must work because i haven`t hit a kangaroo since fitting them.
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 26th May 2023 at 18:40.

Master
    Pah they can’t be that good… I haven’t got one fitted and I haven’t hit a kangaroo either🤓

Master
    New bike arrived yesterday. After my 11 month/11,000 mile Triumph Tiger experiment, it feels great to be back on a GS. Hopefully, I've learned something.

][/URL]

Lovely colour scheme, enjoy :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Has anyone tried one of those bolt-on Android Auto/Apple CarPlay things on a bike?

I use AA all the time in the car, and was impressed when I saw it was on the Africa Twin.

There seem to be loads of aftermarket ones for cars that plug in to the stereo and cigarette lighter, and I've noticed that there's now a waterproof one for bikes. From what I can see, there's just one version available with a 5" screen (same as the BMW Nav VI I'm using at the moment), but being badged and sold by a whole range of "brands" with prices from about £130 to £230 for what appears to be the same thing.

Just wondering if anyone had practical experience of one
    Looks like I'm going to be the crash test dummy.

Things I've already discovered:

1. There appear to be two variants, not one.

2. There's the easily clip-on-and-off-able one that can be powered by the USB, and there's the one that I've bought.

I've increased the performance of the R80 by using the technique so beloved by Colin Chapman - I've added lightness.

The trailer has gone, so the same fate has befallen the tow bar

Not sure which Tiger you had (suspect 1200), as the 900 is a great bike.

Good looking bike (apart from those white handguards) - be interested to hear what you think about the suspension and quick-shifter.

Enjoy!

Master

Good looking bike (apart from those white handguards) - be interested to hear what you think about the suspension and quick-shifter.

Enjoy!
    I agree the 900 is a great bike. I had a 1200 (the newest model) and I felt it was still a bit under-developed - particularly in the fueling, and despite a recent software update.

I put 25000 miles on my 2019 R1250GS before the Tiger so I think I have a fair idea how this new one will behave - as it's basically the same bike.

The quickshift is pretty crap in most circumstances - apart from hard acceleration from 2nd gear upwards. This is an area where the Tiger was miles better. As for the suspension I think the biggest issue on the GS is the basic lack of adjustability. The only choice is "Road" (pretty soft) or "Dynamic" (pretty firm). Again the Triumph system is better in terms of user controls.

However, I don't ride the bike particularly hard so the GS settings are not a massive concern for me. In "road" it's compliant and comfortable and will still hold its line in a corner without a problem.

In the end I prefer the characteristics of the big twin and I prefer the generally highly evolved and resolved product that is the R1250GS. That's also one reason I decided to get a 1250 before the new 1300 goes into the ownership testing phase.

As for the white hand guards, I tend to think black might look better, but I'm not fussed enough to do anything about it.

Been a nice weekend for the bikes, a couple of rides on the CB750 and I fitted the BAAK No.1 bars to the T120, needed a long cable conversion for the clutch and front brake but it was a nice way to while away a BH Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Been a nice weekend for the bikes, a couple of rides on the CB750 and I fitted the BAAK No.1 bars to the T120, needed a long cable conversion for the clutch and front brake but it was a nice way to while away a BH Monday.
    Loving those bars!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Loving those bars!
    Cheers, I love the look and they’re nice to ride, I was going to try my bar end mirrors but they don’t really work, so I will be shelling out a little bit more for the under bar mirrors that they do.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Heard nothing from BMW or on either of the 2 relevant Facebook groups I’m in. The brakes are superb.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

What the… where did that plate come from????

Bars look great, btw. What are they like for comfort?

What the… where did that plate come from????

Bars look great, btw. What are they like for comfort?
    The bars feel really comfortable but I did only have a short ride after fitting them. The plate was bought for me by Mrs C and has a minor spacing alteration.

The bars feel really comfortable but I did only have a short ride after fitting them. The plate was bought for me by Mrs C and has a minor spacing alteration.
    Fantastic. Sadly, my initials (AA) add about £5k to any plate I look at.

Fantastic. Sadly, my initials (AA) add about £5k to any plate I look at.
    Or if don't mind a modern plate and same kind of edit as above: https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.u...0OAA&price=250

Master

Enjoy!
    I've not ridden the Tiger 900 but blimey, is it heavy! Had a rider on one with my group on a green lane ride yesterday and it required picking up several times. On rough ground it proved to be a three-person job. I think it's about 200kg completely dry, 220kg wet/fully-fuelled. Watching the rider wallowing the bike around made me think it was an exercise in masochism.

Have to confess to not really understanding adventure bikes. They look cool but there's a very narrow operating window when it comes to taking them off-road. In dry and hard-packed conditions they work (equally, so would anything other than a pure sports bike) but show them the slightest amount of slimy mud and for any riders other than the most gifted, it's carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    I've not ridden the Tiger 900 but blimey, is it heavy! Had a rider on one with my group on a green lane ride yesterday and it required picking up several times. On rough ground it proved to be a three-person job. I think it's about 200kg completely dry, 220kg wet/fully-fuelled. Watching the rider wallowing the bike around made me think it was an exercise in masochism.

Have to confess to not really understanding adventure bikes. They look cool but there's a very narrow operating window when it comes to taking them off-road. In dry and hard-packed conditions they work (equally, so would anything other than a pure sports bike) but show them the slightest amount of slimy mud and for any riders other than the most gifted, it's carnage.

THey are only 'adventure bikes' in as much as that is the tag that (BMW) hung on them, and gets used to diss them.

They are now 'all-round touring' bikes (the best tag I can think of at short notice)

I once took my 2010 R1200GSA on slippery mud and almost had a hernia trying to stop it falling over. Lesson learned.

I've taken my R1200GS off road many times and it's truly capable. Put the right tyres on it and the limitation is the rider not the bike. Yes, they're heavy but all bikes are until theyre moving then they weigh nothing. I did the ACT in Portugal on mine. Try riding all the way to Portugal on a 250 and you'll see why they're designed that way. I'm not sure you can get off road tyres for a sports bike.

Ace weather to get out on the bikes over the last few days...

Craftsman
    Getting tight in here....

Going down the same lane I got stuck with the KTM coming the other way.

[QUOTE=djjuk;6218860]Ace weather to get out on the bikes over the last few days...

Could I ask what bag you are using on the T120 and do you have to use a rail for it, looks like a neat solution from what I can see?

[QUOTE=Craizeehair;6219051]
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Could I ask what bag you are using on the T120 and do you have to use a rail for it, looks like a neat solution from what I can see?
    Looks suspiciously like Legend Gear to me. I spent weeks looking at pannier options and - whilst not fitted to the new bike yet - I can confirm that the quality and looks are right up there.

Now to be told that I'm mistaken...

[QUOTE=learningtofly;6219057]
    Looks suspiciously like Legend Gear to me. I spent weeks looking at pannier options and - whilst not fitted to the new bike yet - I can confirm that the quality and looks are right up there.

Now to be told that I'm mistaken...
    Tony is correct..SW Motech Legend Gear Side Bag and rack.

https://sw-motech.co.uk/products/leg...3c4cb6a7&_ss=r
    https://sw-motech.co.uk/products/slc...0c714615&_ss=r

Looks like the design has changed slightly, but no complaints at all.
    Last edited by djjuk; 31st May 2023 at 08:11.

Tony is correct..SW Motech Legend Gear Side Bag and rack.

https://sw-motech.co.uk/products/leg...3c4cb6a7&_ss=r
    https://sw-motech.co.uk/products/slc...0c714615&_ss=r

Looks like the design has changed slightly, but no complaints at all.
    Can't go wrong. I have precisely the same - but for both sides - sitting in its box and ready for fitting over the weekend. Looks easy enough, even for me!

Thanks both.

To be honest Tony, I had been a bit lazy and was waiting to see what yours looked like before going down that rabbit hole. You were right though, this looks like a really good set up.

Looks to be a very neat solution

Well, it would have been new bike day for me tomorrow but the guy who's bike I was after is now selling it back to his dealer for less than I was paying him and has been told they will stick it back up for £2k more.

Good job I hadn't got to the point of setting the insurance up today and paying for the train ticket up front.

Back to the drawing board...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Well, it would have been new bike day for me tomorrow but the guy who's bike I was after is now selling it back to his dealer for less than I was paying him
    Why?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Cool TT 2023

Anyone else enjoying watching TT live?

Brilliant practice night last night Dean Harrison 134mph lap in practice Yikes….

Michael Dunlop riding like he’s just stole the bike, and old boy John McGuiness 51 years old and still did a 130mph lap..

The TT live coverage is brilliant and just £19.99 for the fortnight.

Oh and taking of bike racing Toprak to BMW for 2024… that’s his career on a downward spiral then..👎

Master
    Anyone else enjoying watching TT live?

Brilliant

Oh and taking of bike racing Toprak to BMW for 2024… that’s his career on a downward spiral then..
    Andrew I think you are right, he jumped from Yamaha for all the wrong reasons. Talented riders have been defeated already by that woefull BMW.

It reminds when Ducati were struggling with their chassis ( prior to the Dovi era). Rossi moved fro Yamaha in a move hailed as a dream partnership Italian champ on an Italian machine. He couldn’t tame theDuke and lasted what 2 yrs?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I've taken my R1200GS off road many times and it's truly capable. Put the right tyres on it and the limitation is the rider not the bike. Yes, they're heavy but all bikes are until theyre moving then they weigh nothing. I did the ACT in Portugal on mine. Try riding all the way to Portugal on a 250 and you'll see why they're designed that way. I'm not sure you can get off road tyres for a sports bike.
    It’s just a confidence thing, I used to take my 1150 GSA off road quite a lot, decent tyres and confidence are the key. I did the Sabie GS challenge a few years ago and everyday was a school day. Sometimes I think that a 640 KTM would have been a better option though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app