closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 287 of 358 FirstFirst ... 187237277285286287288289297337 ... LastLast
Results 14,301 to 14,350 of 17892

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    One method to go tubeless is to buy an oversized tube, cut it around the central circumference and then fit it with the sides trapped in the beads, so it is, in effect, a one sided tube, on the inside only. Plenty of guys in Australia doing it for their gravel roads with great success.
    Never thought of that. Clever.

Isn't there another issue in the tubed vs tubeless discussion that the shape of the contact patch for the bead is different such that tubeless tyres have a more robust contact with the rim? i.e. it's not just the sealing around the spokes that's different, and the tyres themselves have different profiles to fit the different rim types.

(the tubed vs tubeless debate is perhaps worthy of a whole different thread or even forum!)
    Last edited by Gyp; 17th January 2023 at 08:36.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Never thought of that. Clever.

Isn't there another issue in the tubed vs tubeless discussion that the shape of the contact patch for the bead is different such that tubeless tyres have a more robust contact with the rim? i.e. it's not just the sealing around the spokes that's different, and the tyres themselves have different profiles to fit the different rim types.

(the tubed vs tubeless debate is perhaps worthy of a whole different thread or even forum!)
    I don't believe this is the case as nearly all riders use tubeless tyres - just with a tube stuck in them.

In other words - you might find them - but I've not come across tyres for tubed used only.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    I don't believe this is the case as nearly all riders use tubeless tyres - just with a tube stuck in them.

In other words - you might find them - but I've not come across tyres for tubed used only.
    Agreed.
    But the tubeless rim seats can differ from the tubed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Agreed.
    But the tubeless rim seats can differ from the tubed.
    This Continental leaflet clarifies

https://blobs.continental-tires.com/...-pdf--data.pdf

Master
    Well, 2023's New Year resolution - to scare myself stupid - has started. KTM EXC500 will be arriving shortly - it's getting on for three times the power (and 40kg less) than the CRF250L it's replacing. Now to sell a rather well-used 250L........

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Well, 2023's New Year resolution - to scare myself stupid - has started. KTM EXC500 will be arriving shortly - it's getting on for three times the power (and 40kg less) than the CRF250L it's replacing. Now to sell a rather well-used 250L........
    For green lanes? You’ll wish you’d kept the Honda!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    For green lanes? You’ll wish you’d kept the Honda!
    Having ridden both on the lanes, I have to disagree. The Honda’s lovely but past a certain level it’s out of its depth. Plus the clutch isn’t really off-road capable (can’t slip it like a KTM - the Honda’s just dies if you treat it like that) so you have to ride it solely on the throttle.

I’m adding the high/low power mode switch and traction control so it’ll not have to be a monster all the time.

Master
    Watch this at 4 mins and 22 mins then sell your CRF’ and KTM’s :), 30 year old CT110 stunning little bike

https://youtu.be/5d-d3_rcl64

Apparently someone rode a 990 up one of the lanes!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Watch this at 4 mins and 22 mins then sell your CRF’ and KTM’s :), 30 year old CT110 stunning little bike

https://youtu.be/5d-d3_rcl64

Apparently someone rode a 990 up one of the lanes!
    Looks like masochism to me - a 100kg bike with minimal suspension, manifestly unsuitable tyres and almost no power. Sure, you can do it, but why? It's the sort of thing I might do once just to prove that I could, but never again.

Then again, if someone want to ride on a legal road on a legal roadbike of any sort, I support their right to do so and hope they enjoy it. Me? I'll ride something (OK, anything) else.

Master
    Looks like masochism to me - a 100kg bike with minimal suspension, manifestly unsuitable tyres and almost no power. Sure, you can do it, but why? It's the sort of thing I might do once just to prove that I could, but never again.

Then again, if someone want to ride on a legal road on a legal roadbike of any sort, I support their right to do so and hope they enjoy it. Me? I'll ride something (OK, anything) else.
    Ah I should have put it in context. The rider Nathan Millward rode the same bike (Australian Postie bike) from Sydney to London through China etc. The journey was circa 12,000 miles and required just one ring change on Dorothy the postie bike. He is a cracking speaker to listen to and has recently taken a CT110 to the Arctic plus other places.

So his whole ethos is , yep a 1250GS would do the same journey ( with or without Ewan and Charlies entourage) , but at a different pace and cost.

Steve

Master
    Well that’s the blown up 675 Street Triple rebuilt..😎👍

Once I’d got all the parts the engine rebuild took about 3 days to complete, I spent a fair bit of time cleaning the crank cases of any swarf and debris, and I paid particular attention to the cam timing, the sprockets are adjustable, so I thought it worth the effort to not just chuck em back in the way they came out, but to time each cam individually..

I put the engine back in the frame, and proceeded to connect everything up, which was a bit tricky as I hadn’t stripped the bike, so it was a bit of a jigsaw puzzle without a picture to go off.. Local triumph dealer were very helpful with component location advice.

I stuck a battery on the bike, and spun the engine over with the fuel pump disconnected until the oil light went out, I then connected the fuel pump and after 3 prods of the starter it fired up and sounded sweet…

Then there was a massive oil leak from the seal behind the front sprocket. The seal wasn’t seated correctly. 1 new seal later job done…
    All in all a very satisfying little job that’s kept me occupied whilst the weather isn’t suitable for riding…

Total cost around £900. That’s just parts, as I did it as a favour for a very attractive young lady..🤓🤓❤️

Short ride out today. Beautiful day, not too cold - 4 deg C but the roads were wet and the bike was filthy when I got back so I had to wash the salt and general crap off.

Still nice to get out in the sunshine.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    4° or -4°
    Went for a cycle this morning 0° did contemplate getting the bike out but had a lunch anf brewery tour with my kids - highs of 5° tomorrow so who knows

Master
    ^^^ Nice work, Enoch.

Nice to get out today and try my new Gerbing heated jacket liner, which kept me toasty in the cold I should have gotten one sooner!

Craftsman
    I spent a few minutes extracting myself from this situation.

Breathlessness and backache were the result!

Ah I should have put it in context. The rider Nathan Millward rode the same bike (Australian Postie bike) from Sydney to London through China etc. The journey was circa 12,000 miles and required just one ring change on Dorothy the postie bike. He is a cracking speaker to listen to and has recently taken a CT110 to the Arctic plus other places.

So his whole ethos is , yep a 1250GS would do the same journey ( with or without Ewan and Charlies entourage) , but at a different pace and cost.

Steve
    you are forgetting the main drawback for most people > being seen riding a ct110 :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    I spent a few minutes extracting myself from this situation.

Breathlessness and backache were the result!

Ouch - hope the T7 was ok 😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Ouch - hope the T7 was ok 
    More importantly, I hope your back is OK. A T7 is what, about 215kg fuelled up? Way less than a GS, obviously, but still a lot to pick up by yourself.

More importantly, I hope your back is OK. A T7 is what, about 215kg fuelled up? Way less than a GS, obviously, but still a lot to pick up by yourself.
    I hope your back is ok too.

Despite what the manufacturers say, bikes like these are really not suitable for riding off road. Had you been on something much smaller, that trail would have been a doddle. A 250 is really all you need.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Ouch - hope the T7 was ok 
    Yeah, all good thanks. I dragged the bike into a better position to get a hold on it. The rear rack makes life much easier in these circumstances!

I hope your back is ok too.

Despite what the manufacturers say, bikes like these are really not suitable for riding off road. Had you been on something much smaller, that trail would have been a doddle. A 250 is really all you need.
    I take the T7 in all sorts of off road terrain, a few falls and fails now and again are part of the fun!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    Yeah, all good thanks. I dragged the bike into a better position to get a hold on it. The rear rack makes life much easier in these circumstances!

I take the T7 in all sorts of off road terrain, a few falls and fails now and again are part of the fun!
    I take my hat off to you - I find that even my 250 (60+ kilos less than yours) is knackering after a full day off road. Just so much mass to have bouncing around underneath you, obviously there's lots to pick up when you drop it but it's the sheer effort of keeping that bulk under control that's the limiting factor on how long a day I can ride.

The limiting factor when I was off-roading was always my abilities.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The limiting factor when I was off-roading was always my abilities.
    That applies to just about everyone on practically any bike.

Master
    Pol Tarres is something else on a 200kg bike

Not every rider will agree. Until it's ground into them...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Not every rider will agree. Until it's ground into them...
    Ha… tell me about it…

Back in the day when I thought I was as quick as Max Biaggi, the wife and I were heading towards Bala at warp speed on my very capable ZZR1100.
    We were rounding a left hand curve, with the pegs on the deck and the exhaust mm’s from touching down, when an old BMW R80 or R100 came around the outside of me like I was going backwards. I was in full leathers with the latest Arai helmet and Sidi race boots. My opponent was wearing a milking coat, a piss pot helmet and wellies.

I’m not having that I thought, so dropped a gear and gave chase. After another 10 bends or so, I couldn’t even see his tail light anymore. He left me standing.

The thing is, I don’t even think he was trying.

I did the ACT Portugal last year on my GS. About 750 miles off road. Probably dropped it 5 times. Was definitely grateful to be with some mates because it is a lump to pick up. The advantage the GS has over a 250 is that the ride from Sussex through France and Spain to the start point in Portugal was just superb and comfy. It would be a very long ride on a 250 though obviously it could be done.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Ha… tell me about it…

Back in the day when I thought I was as quick as Max Biaggi, the wife and I were heading towards Bala at warp speed on my very capable ZZR1100.
    We were rounding a left hand curve, with the pegs on the deck and the exhaust mm’s from touching down, when an old BMW R80 or R100 came around the outside of me like I was going backwards. I was in full leathers with the latest Arai helmet and Sidi race boots. My opponent was wearing a milking coat, a piss pot helmet and wellies.

I’m not having that I thought, so dropped a gear and gave chase. After another 10 bends or so, I couldn’t even see his tail light anymore. He left me standing.

I know exactly what you mean Enoch. I'm sure the same bloke overtook me back in the day when I had a GPX750. I was knee down in every bend and he was bolt upright. I couldn't keep up no matter how hard I tried and he didn't look like he was trying at all!
    Last edited by manganr; 24th January 2023 at 16:26.

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post

Nice to get out today and try my new Gerbing heated jacket liner, which kept me toasty in the cold I should have gotten one sooner!
    Hey, how long did you have to wait for that bike? I have my name down for 4 months and waiting on the call.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    Hey, how long did you have to wait for that bike? I have my name down for 4 months and waiting on the call.
    Hi David - I got this one used last year. Nice discount on new and no wait! When I enquired with Honda initially about a new one, I was told around 6 months, but I believe it should be quicker now, so hopefully, you will get yours soon.

Ha… tell me about it…

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I know exactly what you mean Enoch. I'm sure the same bloke overtook me back in the day when I had a GPX750. I was knee down in every bend and he was bolt upright. I couldn't keep up no matter how hard I tried and he didn't look like he was trying at all!
    I think we all have stories like this; mine was Ribblehead back to Settle on a ZX9R, trying to keep up with a Triumph Tiger 900.(first model). Another time on another road, it was an old BMW K100RT doing the business.

Master
    I think we all have stories like this; mine was Ribblehead back to Settle on a ZX9R, trying to keep up with a Triumph Tiger 900.(first model). Another time on another road, it was an old BMW K100RT doing the business.
    Not motorcycles , but when Im out on my bicycle Im always cautious overtaking “ old roadies” you know the type, steel frame, no helmet long socks. You usually go past, then find you have a shadow and as soon as the road goes uphill they pass you, often tapping their briar pipe on the bars as they cruise past!

Ha… tell me about it…

Back in the day when I thought I was as quick as Max Biaggi,

More Max Bygraves than Max Biaggi - I suspect

Craftsman
    Well, A sad day last wednesday as said goodbye to my BMW R1150gs as she was loaded into a couriers van. I had her new in 2001 and we've been all over most of Europe and UK so loads of good memories. Having just had a hernia diagnosis, manouvering the big beast was mabye a "push" too far. Luckily I still have my Bonnie and also have an X Country enroute to me so biking continues, managed 55 years so far and hopefully many more, albeit on smaller bike(s). Anyway looking forward to doing some more miles soon, happy Biking one and all. Cheers, John B4

Master
    JohnB4 I think its a wise biker that knows their own ability to push and shove bikes around the garage. As we all know once on the move an 1150 or even a Gold wing’s weight disappears. Only to re appear when a U turn is needed on an off camber lane:)

You will be suprised how much room you have in the garage as those boxers have a fair footprint. Looking fwd to photos of the X Country.

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 7th February 2023 at 20:10.

You’re right Steve, we don’t actually need big bikes.

Big bike = little dick (Dave, XJR1300 rider )

I do like the idea of the new ZX4-R, an 80bhp 400/4 but doubt whether I’d be able to get into any position to ride it these days.

I do like the idea of the new ZX4-R, an 80bhp 400/4 but doubt whether I’d be able to get into any position to ride it these days.
    XJR1300 Dave? Pics please.... let it be Speedblock yellow......

Master

My Kr1S was a challenge to get comfy. Its successor the Zx400 / 4 must have been the grandad of the ZX4R you mention above. In its day the 400 outputted 60 plus bhp at a heady 13,000 rpm. Must have sounded like an F1 car.

Re bike bike/ little dick , my Duke 390 should allow me to strut about in the shower:) not….

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    XJR1300 Dave? Pics please.... let it be Speedblock yellow......
    Sorry!

Master
    Sorry!
    A great bike - they pull right from the bottom
    Mine was an 03 black - the year round commute did the bodywork no favours
    But in 30k it never mechanically let me down

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Not long now till March 1 when I pick up my new bike. Just hope it doesnt rain that day.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My Kr1S was a challenge to get comfy. Its successor the Zx400 / 4 must have been the grandad of the ZX4R you mention above. In its day the 400 outputted 60 plus bhp at a heady 13,000 rpm. Must have sounded like an F1 car.

Re bike bike/ little dick , my Duke 390 should allow me to strut about in the shower:) not….
    I had a GPX 250R 4 stroke 2 Cyl 39hp that redlined at 15,000 and was asthmatic under 8,000.

The 1990 ZZR600 redlined st 14,000rpm and the rev limiter cut in at 16,000. The 2003 ZX6R B1H took that up another 2000rpm. It was the first bike with the air intake running through, rather than round, the headstock. At about 14,000rpm it hit a resonant frequency and founded like a saxophone; very weird the first time you hear it (halfway down the Dunlop Straight at Donnington Park).

I'd have loved to have tried the CBR250RR mini-blade from the early 90's that redlined at 19,000.

I suspect it was a pain to live with as you'd be constantly screaming it, but it would be nice to try one

Master
    MCN advises the 79 bhp (bonkers) Kawasaki ZX 4R is due here in Autumn 23. No indication of price 188Kgs seat height 800mm. Styling looks like a ZX10 thats been washed at 60 deg C :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Not long now till March 1 when I pick up my new bike. Just hope it doesnt rain that day.

Stuart
    See you at Bala about 2:00pm cuppa and cake on me😎😎

I just talked my daughter into getting a low Triumph 765 street triple, I hope I’ve done the right thing,

Master

Calling Enoch Diaval related.

Something to shout at as I know you are a great admirer of the V4

£23k , certainly pushing the brand up market

https://youtu.be/PjMwae1b4xg

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    See you at Bala about 2:00pm cuppa and cake on me😎😎
    Heyup Andy, hope you are well. Kind offer Sir, and if the weather is OK I’ll deffo be out on it and you know they are my roads of choice. I’ll be looking to get it run in as quickly as possible so I can use the full rev range as most of the fun starts above 6k ish anyway.

I popped into see it a couple days back. I have put a bit of bling on it and wanted to see it in the flesh. I love it

What you on these days, I know you change bikes like they are socks, do you still have your XDiavel?. Anyway Andy, even if we dont catch up on 1 March we’ll deffo meet up somewhere soon I’m sure and I look forward to it.

Stuart