closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 28 of 358 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 17894

Thread: More bike related stuff

Visors

I'm planning to get Arai's dark smoke visor for my Axces 3 helmet, as it'll give me more choice in respect of (prescription) glasses when it's bright/sunny. I also think dark visors look quite cool.

I note that it's not road legal, so I'm wondering if the police ever bother stopping anyone for wearing dark visors given that I see them pretty much everywhere these days. Whats the attitude to this particular risk amongst the TZ biking brotherhood?

I think that unless you are stopped for some other 'offence' and you have an attitude - the chances of falling foul on dark visor are negligible.

But - make sure that weather is not severely overcast or dark, and you you can mitigate any stop by having a clear visor in your tailpack, around your waist etc.

I hardly use a clear visor at all - going for black all the time.

Forgot one time, arriving in Caen at 21:30, severely overcast and rain, and with a helmet that changing visor was a chore.................... managed (just) the 10 miles to the hotel without incident..........

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I think that unless you are stopped for some other 'offence' and you have an attitude - the chances of falling foul on dark visor are negligible.

But - make sure that weather is not severely overcast or dark, and you you can mitigate any stop by having a clear visor in your tailpack, around your waist etc.

I hardly use a clear visor at all - going for black all the time.

Forgot one time, arriving in Caen at 21:30, severely overcast and rain, and with a helmet that changing visor was a chore.................... managed (just) the 10 miles to the hotel without incident..........
    Thanks - good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    well done on passing your mod 2 , as far as shopping is concerned this year could get expensive as i've been looking at superduke 1290's and the bmw s1000r for a few weeks ...... : /
    Sat on a super Duke GT at the weekend. It's my dream all round bike, only thing holding me back at the moment is insurance - I've only had my full licence for a year!

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm planning to get Arai's dark smoke visor for my Axces 3 helmet, as it'll give me more choice in respect of (prescription) glasses when it's bright/sunny. I also think dark visors look quite cool.

I note that it's not road legal, so I'm wondering if the police ever bother stopping anyone for wearing dark visors given that I see them pretty much everywhere these days. Whats the attitude to this particular risk amongst the TZ biking brotherhood?
    These were made illegal in the early-mid 90s - it won't cause you an issue but do carry a spare clear visor with you as clearly riding around with one on after dark is dangerous and you will get caught out with the light at some point. I would also say a dark visor is safer than sunglasses provided you can swap it out which is easy with modern helmets.

I mostly use a photo-chromic pin-lock insert it provides adequate shading in the sunshine but goes clear at night - far less bother for most of the year although in the height of summer I will use a dark visor.

Craftsman
    I'm finding myself drooling over the Monster 821 Stealth... it's a great size for me, too

Slightly less power than my Street Triple, but sexier by far. Luckily, I'm completely skint.
    You too, had my eye on the new 1200s!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I had an email from a mate today asking about doing Brands Hatch on Saturday. Checked the forecast, cleared it with the Mrs and just went to book, but it’s sold out in the last few minutes - bugger.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I’ve been so busy that I forgot to invite you guys to the Dainese Touring Night at Dainese London’s main store last night! Anyway, there are two more coming up - 12th March and 30th April, and you guys are welcome to come along. And yes, I’m the chump giving the talk! The event is free, and Dainese supply free drink and food. You can park bikes right in front of their store.

More info here on their FB page - https://m.facebook.com/daineselondon/

I have a Shoei GT air that has a built in visor that flips up and down when needed. Genius

Master
    AGV LCD visor is brilliant. Clear or tinted at the touch of a button.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    AGV LCD visor is brilliant. Clear or tinted at the touch of a button.
    That sounds good. AGV are the only helmets that fit me comfortably. Is the system expensive (daft question)?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That sounds good. AGV are the only helmets that fit me comfortably. Is the system expensive (daft question)?
    It was a couple years ago that I bought it for my AGV Corsa - was about £160 at the time. Just checked and not sure if they are still making it though?

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/236278

I didn't realise they made those at all! A development of automatic welding masks, I assume.

A lot of money for a visor, though - I cringe at the price of 'official' Arai, and BMW visors at £60-£70 (and more for fancy finishes)

I did get a couple of Arai RX7-GP double-glazed visors, though - from TheVisorShop. These were previously unavailable other than to race teams, but TheVisorShop seem to have sourced a batch. They are streets ahead of pinlock.

Looks like they still have them!

https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/Arai...r/m-22910.aspx

This visor fits the following models with the new longer i-type visors.

• RX7-GP
    • QUANTUM
    • QUANTIUM-ST
    • CHASER-V
    • CHASER-V Pro
    • REBEL
    • AXCES II
    • AXCES III
    Last edited by blackal; 14th February 2019 at 00:32.

Have never been pulled or even looked at for a black visor in or around London and have seen and stopped next to police at lights many a time.

More police than you would think ride bikes and they also have black visors.

I didn't realise they made those at all! A development of automatic welding masks, I assume.

A lot of money for a visor, though - I cringe at the price of 'official' Arai, and BMW visors at £60-£70 (and more for fancy finishes)

I did get a couple of Arai RX7-GP double-glazed visors, though - from TheVisorShop. These were previously unavailable other than to race teams, but TheVisorShop seem to have sourced a batch. They are streets ahead of pinlock.

Looks like they still have them!

https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/Arai...r/m-22910.aspx

This visor fits the following models with the new longer i-type visors.

• RX7-GP
    • QUANTUM
    • QUANTIUM-ST
    • CHASER-V
    • CHASER-V Pro
    • REBEL
    • AXCES II
    • AXCES III
    They look amazing, but they only have the light tint in stock. What a shame!

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    I’ve been so busy that I forgot to invite you guys to the Dainese Touring Night at Dainese London’s main store last night! Anyway, there are two more coming up - 12th March and 30th April, and you guys are welcome to come along. And yes, I’m the chump giving the talk! The event is free, and Dainese supply free drink and food. You can park bikes right in front of their store.

More info here on their FB page - https://m.facebook.com/daineselondon/
    Thanks Adrien - didn’t realise we had a star in our midst

I use an Arai lid. I've got the darkest tinted visor (official) one they make supplied and fitted by an Arai dealer. Just thinking out loud, but say you were involved in an accident, maybe at night, would wearing a dark non OEM illegal aftermarket visor invalidate your insurance? I've seen those TV programmes where the police stop cars with very dark tinted windows. If you're riding in poor viability with a very dark visor I'm guessing it would make liability in the event of an accident quite easy to prove?

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Could wearing an illegal visor negate your insurance in the case of an accident?

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Could wearing an illegal visor negate your insurance in the case of an accident?
    I was wearing a black visor when I had a non fault accident. Only difference is they would pay for my helmet but not the visor. Not sure if this is the norm or not.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I was wearing a black visor when I had a non fault accident. Only difference is they would pay for my helmet but not the visor. Not sure if this is the norm or not.
    I wonder what would happen if the accident was the rider's fault?

I got pulled by the police for speeding, was going to have a go at the dark visor too.
    Showed him my clear saftey glasses (for when light levels drop) and he was fine with it.
    Didn't get the speeding ticket either....clearly the planets were aligned that day

Master
    Not sure how auto welding masks work, but the AGV one is rechargeable via a micro-USB, and there is a very simple button on the side of the visor that switched the LCD on or off. I've been using it since new, and it's been brilliant.

Thanks Adrien - didn’t realise we had a star in our midst
    Hardly Tony! It is just something to do during the biking 'off-season' that is fun and also helps connect with other like-minded riders who enjoy biking and touring. Some great ideas and experiences shared by many others. I made a small compilation of photos for the event from bike tours I've led over the past to help give people an idea of what they can look forward to - a long vid (and it was hastily put together so apologies for the music on repeat), but this always brings a smile to my face -

Auto-welding masks work automatically - you can be lining up the weld looking through clear glass, and as soon as you strike an arc (stick or TIG) - the screen darkens. It happens quick enough to prevent any ‘flash’ to your eyes.

I guess that could also be available to bike visors - and would be fantastic for going from bright sunshine to tunnel and back out again.

Have an accident with an ‘overtinted’ Visor, and the law and underwriters would look at the ‘contribution’ that made to the accident. If it was bright sunlight and justified sunglasses or an inner-visor - then I think they would struggle to penalise you for that - but the law may prosecute for the driving offence.

Let’s be honest - a dark visor is no different (in reality) than an inner shield or sunglasses. A dark visor can be flipped up quicker than sunglasses can be removed - that’s for sure!

On a side note - you may not be aware that dark visors are not legal for your pillion to wear, either!!!! Go figure!!!!

i just wear a pair of driving glasses with the yellow lenses (non glare ) plus a tinted visor in the summer , the yellow lensed driving glasses work great day or night and work well with the tinted visor.

these > https://www.amazon.com/SOXICK-Drivin...ateway&sr=8-49

On a side note - you may not be aware that dark visors are not legal for your pillion to wear, either!!!! Go figure!!!!
    I expect that is because they used to say "not for highway use" on them - I am pretty sure they now say"daylight use only"

Well, I bought the dark smoke visor today, stuck a pinlock on it and it’s now fitted to my helmet. I absolutely love it as it doesn’t impact vision very much at all but it really does reduce glare. And it looks the dog’s danglies.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 14th February 2019 at 18:50.

Master
    Well, I bought the dark smoke visor today, stuck a pinlock on it and it’s now fitted to my helmet. I absolutely love it as it doesn’t impact vision very much at all but it really does reduce glare. And it looks the dog’s danglies.
    Tony I hope you wore your visor walking around the house ! Its far to cold for us hardened bikers to be out yet.

Took my 700GS to the bike shop to spoil it it with a DID X ring chain and sprocket set, no chain adjustment for me for the next 5000 miles👍👍

Gorgeous weather 4 deg C going but so clear, spring is around the corner.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Well, today I have said goodbye to my BMW S1000RR Sport. Not actually gone yet but have agreed a deal to get a 18 plate Street Triple RS in Crystal White with a few nice bits on it. Should pick it up next week along with cash back as the BM is worth more. To be honest even though the S1000RR is probably the best all round of the 1 litre sports jobbies; its simply way overkill in every area, and a deffo licence loser. Cant wait to get back on the Striple tbh, had a 675 version with all the bits on and regretted selling that if truth be told.

Visors, I have a light/medium tint on 2 of my lids and never had any issues. One thing I will say though, even a slight tint does affect night vision if you do accidentally get caught out. I’ve been caught out at a couple of bike meets and rode home in the dark, its amazing how much light they cut out, just lift the visor up and see.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

To be honest even though the S1000RR is probably the best all round of the 1 litre sports jobbies; its simply way overkill in every area”

While horsepower seduces - I doubt that any litre superbike since 2004, is really appropriate for the roads.

“[COLOR=#333333]

While horsepower seduces - I doubt that any litre superbike since 1991 is really appropriate for the roads.
    FTFY

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    FTFY
    My 1990 KR1S has an engine horsepower of 60 so 240 bhp / litre , keep up at the back you 1 litre boys !🏍🏍😀👍

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    My 1990 KR1S has an engine horsepower of 60 so 240 bhp / litre , keep up at the back you 1 litre boys !
    I think I’d keep up...............

You know what, they say an S1000RR is a road bike you can use on the track, I’d say its actually a track bike slightly modded to be legal on the road.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Well, today I have said goodbye to my BMW S1000RR Sport. Not actually gone yet but have agreed a deal to get a 18 plate Street Triple RS in Crystal White with a few nice bits on it. Should pick it up next week along with cash back as the BM is worth more. To be honest even though the S1000RR is probably the best all round of the 1 litre sports jobbies; its simply way overkill in every area, and a deffo licence loser. Cant wait to get back on the Striple tbh, had a 675 version with all the bits on and regretted selling that if truth be told.

Visors, I have a light/medium tint on 2 of my lids and never had any issues. One thing I will say though, even a slight tint does affect night vision if you do accidentally get caught out. I’ve been caught out at a couple of bike meets and rode home in the dark, its amazing how much light they cut out, just lift the visor up and see.

Stuart
    Funnily enough,. Stuart, I was watching a video this morning about superbikes generally and yours in particular, and the conclusion was pretty much the same. In any event, enjoy the Striple (how could you not?).

Noted re the visor, and I shall do my best not to be caught out.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 14th February 2019 at 20:27.

KR1S, jeez that takes me back to ring ring ring a ding and the smell of 2 stroke. I had an Aprilia RS 250 back in the day and loved it to death. Wicked power for a small bike, sublime handling and stop on a sixpence. Looking at what they fetch now, I wish I still had it.

Stuart

Master
    KR1S, jeez that takes me back to ring ring ring a ding and the smell of 2 stroke. I had an Aprilia RS 250 back in the day and loved it to death. Wicked power for a small bike, sublime handling and stop on a sixpence. Looking at what they fetch now, I wish I still had it.

Stuart

My cousin had the KR1S and it blew up on a regular basis.... he swapped it for a Chesterfield Aprilia RS250, and it was a better bike in every respect... no engine problems either..

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My cousin had the KR1S and it blew up on a regular basis.... he swapped it for a Chesterfield Aprilia RS250, and it was a better bike in every respect... no engine problems either..
    Are you sure it wasn’t the KR1? It was known for going bang regularly; the KR1S was much more reliable (as highly strung two stokes go!)

Reading this I thought you bought the Speed Triple and was wondering why you didn't get the S100R but the Street Triple is a much more same choice and by all accounts a really good bike. The Triumph TFT looks lovely, not sure if you have that option.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Stuart

A sad day indeed. My RR remains in the fleet. How could you move on such a piece of engineering excellence? Good luck with the Triumph. Nice, but not the real thing.

Master
    Lovely; a bike topic. :)

I ride a Fireblade of 2007. Last model with the seatpipe.

The previous bike was a new Daytona 675, but I sold it due to many electronic malefunctions. It was more at the garage than on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Reading this I thought you bought the Speed Triple and was wondering why you didn't get the S100R but the Street Triple is a much more same choice and by all accounts a really good bike. The Triumph TFT looks lovely, not sure if you have that option.
    When I bought my first Striple, I’d actually gone to buy a 1050 Speed Triple. However, after a rest ride on each of them I decided the Street was a better bike overall, for the street scuse the pun. Had 2 years on it and like I say, regretted selling it.

Yeah the Striple has the TFT. Also, coming later this year is a bluetooth add on and software update which will actually allow the TFT screen to become a sat nav, hey who’d have thought it. Apparently Triumph did and the hardware is mostly there in place, suppose they are just still developing it and removing any glitches before offering it out.

I thought of a S1000R and was offered more for mine, as you would expect from a BM dealer, but it would just be more of the same, but less, if you get what I mean.

Stuart

Master
    (...) To be honest even though the S1000RR is probably the best all round of the 1 litre sports jobbies; its simply way overkill in every area, and a deffo licence loser. (...)

Isn't every bike a licence loser? My first old 1993 Honda CBR400RR was good enough to loose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    Isn't every bike a licence loser? My first old 1993 Honda CBR400RR was good enough to loose it.
    Most bikes over 600cc now are more than capable of doubling the legal limit. However, the S1000RR make it feel just so effortless to be in 3 figures all the time. Its so easy to go ridiculous fast it sort of makes you want to do it, and that isnt going to end well. In fact warp speed is easily available on all 1l superbikes now it seem the norm, but its sort of how the BM ‘encourages’ you to do it.

Stuart

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Are you sure it wasn’t the KR1? It was known for going bang regularly; the KR1S was much more reliable (as highly strung two stokes go!)
    I have two ! , both Kr1s, as Dave +63 says the early Kr1 had an issue with a circlip coming loose on piston , result major engine grief.

Having said that , my Kr1s lunched its main bearings doing about 50 mph ! Due to the wrong two stroke oil plus numerous youths before me.

In some ways it was a calibration point , as following the rebuild I knew exactly where I was with this highly tuned bike.

I have to say since the full rebuild its done 1100 faultless “exciting “ miles. The way these 90’s two strokes make power is awesome. About 25 bhp upto 4.5 k rpm then as the carbs come on song a further 10 bhp. Then at 6.5K a small mars bar sized servo motor opens the power valves and then it 60 bhp all day long! Remember this is only 130kgs wet through.

At this point point you smile , hang on, fill the road behind you with clouds of blue smoke and watch the rev counter bury itself in 11,000 rpm, change up , here we go again. MCN tested them in 1989 at 145mph, remember these are 250’s.

It will be up for sale in SC in the Spring !

Last edited by higham5; 14th February 2019 at 20:32.

Master
    Most bikes over 600cc now are more than capable of doubling the legal limit. However, the S1000RR make it feel just so effortless to be in 3 figures all the time. Its so easy to go ridiculous fast it sort of makes you want to do it, and that isnt going to end well. In fact warp speed is easily available on all 1l superbikes now it seem the norm, but its sort of how the BM ‘encourages’ you to do it.

Stuart

True. All the 1L bikes in the current selection reaches max speed limit in first gear.

I would love a S1000RR, but they are so expensive in NL. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    Lovely; a bike topic. :)

I ride a Fireblade of 2007. Last model with the seatpipe.

The previous bike was a new Daytona 675, but I sold it due to many electronic malefunctions. It was more at the garage than on the road.
    You're 28 pages late to the party, but better late than never

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    A sad day indeed. My RR remains in the fleet. How could you move on such a piece of engineering excellence? Good luck with the Triumph. Nice, but not the real thing.
    Its just not for me tbh. The Striple is way WAY more comfy, I bought the BM on a whim, just wanted a change from my Diavel. It is a real weapon, the monster hp is to die for, but you know what, thats whats frightening me, I may die on it. Its simply overkill in every area making using the hp so soooo easy. Real thing ? Depends on your definition I suppose. I like to have a ride out at weekends with a few mates and enjoy it. On the BM I found myself way to near the edge too many times, or at least my edge. No one ‘needs’ just short of 200 hp on a road bike, its simply unusable for 99% of the time.

Stuart

Its just not for me tbh. The Striple is way WAY more comfy, I bought the BM on a whim, just wanted a change from my Diavel. It is a real weapon, the monster hp is to die for, but you know what, thats whats frightening me, I may die on it. Its simply overkill in every area making using the hp so soooo easy. Real thing ? Depends on your definition I suppose. I like to have a ride out at weekends with a few mates and enjoy it. On the BM I found myself way to near the edge too many times, or at least my edge. No one ‘needs’ just short of 200 hp on a road bike, its simply unusable for 99% of the time.

Stuart
    ]
    And that is the reality of it. As for the Street Triple, it's arguably the best naked middleweight that's ever been built so deriding it is a bit daft. You'll love it, I'm sure.

More bike related stuff

And that is the reality of it. As for the Street Triple, it's arguably the best naked middleweight that's ever been built so deriding it is a bit daft. You'll love it, I'm sure.
    I will love it I know Tony. It will be the second one i’ve had, loved the last on and by all accounts this one is improved all over. I was actually thinking of a Tuono Factory as well, but the lack of a decent dealer network, and again silly hp put me off. I’ll get a couple of pics up once I get it anyways. Having a new set of tyres on and a tail tidy at the mo.

Hey, have a look back at the first page of this thread Tony, I actually advised you way back then to get the Striple as you would soon get used to the striple hp. But obscene hp is a totally different matter !!

Stuart

Last edited by cinnabull; 14th February 2019 at 20:40.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Tony, with all due respect, you are far too inexperienced to comment in such an authoritative fashion. You like your ST.....fine. But it is by far the best bike out there......as I am sure you will be posting in the next 3/4/5 months when the next Ducati/Triumph/whatever, is on your driveway.
    Last edited by Skyman; 14th February 2019 at 20:43.