closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 277 of 358 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287327 ... LastLast
Results 13,801 to 13,850 of 17885

Thread: More bike related stuff

So frustrating - I was meant to be taking my bike into Watford HD at 8.30 today to have a couple of very minor things done (slightly higher windscreen fitted, old rear rack lock drilled out and a new one fitted and handing over of a new V&H fuelpack that was missing when I bought the bike) and then go riding for the day. Having missed two weeks whilst in Tenerife (which was basically a disaster) it looks like I'm now going to miss the last of the decent weather due to this bloody tendon injury!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 8th October 2022 at 09:12.

I think I'm going to ride today.

And tow.

It's been a while since I towed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    So frustrating - I was meant to be taking my bike into Watford HD at 8.30 today to have a couple of very minor things done (slightly higher windscreen fitted, old rear rack lock drilled out and a new one fitted and handing over of a new V&H fuelpack that was missing when I bought the bike) and then go riding for the day. Having missed two weeks whilst in Tenerife (which was basically a disaster) it looks like I'm now going to miss the last of the decent weather due to this bloody tendon injury!
    T even in Nov and Dec we get bright dry days when you can go out for a ride. So concentrate on repairing yourself, the bike can and will wait.
    Now Jan Feb, they are shitty months to ride unless your called E…h :)

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    T even in Nov and Dec we get bright dry days when you can go out for a ride. So concentrate on repairing yourself, the bike can and will wait.
    Now Jan Feb, they are shitty months to ride unless your called E…h :)
    Yes, fingers crossed, Steve. Given that it had started to feel better I'd hoped I may be able to ride, but the tweak I gave my tendon a day or so ago whilst doing almost nothing (I was literally on the floor and barely able to move) put paid to that idea! It's a big old thing to be moving around (the bike, not my tendon).

I've finished cutting the lawns, and I've completed a bit of carburettor fettling, now off for a pootle on the Vincent to see if the upper rev range has improved.

I love my Comet but I think need one of the twins to complement it, a Black Shadow preferably but back in the real world I expect it'll be a Rapide. All stonking machines though!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I've finished cutting the lawns, and I've completed a bit of carburettor fettling, now off for a pootle on the Vincent to see if the upper rev range has improved.

I love my Comet but I think need one of the twins to complement it, a Black Shadow preferably but back in the real world I expect it'll be a Rapide. All stonking machines though!

What a thing of beauty.

Master
    Well just sold my Bonnie today to a nice chap from Clydebank. Glad to see it go to someone who is clearly smitten with it… but sad to see it go. It was a cracking example of one of the last carb’d bikes.
    I’m storing it for him until he gets a chance to return to collect it… and then I can focus on trying to get my Speedmaster running again.

Going to have a good think over winter about whether to sell the speedmaster as well, but I’ve still no idea what I want !!

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    ...Going to have a good think over winter about whether to sell the speedmaster as well, but I’ve still no idea what I want !!

Andy.
    Book yourself a test ride on a Sport Glide. Seriously.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 8th October 2022 at 14:02.

Master
    I may well do that. I think ideally I’d like a Triumph Bobber for when it’s just me… and then a cruiser for when Mrs G is with me… but that’s not going to fly with her indoors I don’t think.
    However, I loved the look of your Thruxton (have only ever ridden the old Thruxton 865)… aaarghh.

Well impressed. I didn’t know we had Vincent owners on TZ-UK. What next? Brough owners?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Had a ride out today, the first since I removed the peashooters and fitted the Motone exhaust tips, I quite like the look and the sound is an improvement but I’m sold on the Remus slip ons, £860 though but the heart wants what the heart wants.

A few simple mods so far but I’m liking where it’s going.

Likewise, out today. Beautiful day here in Sussex. Really enjoying this bike.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master

Form an orderly queue at the Bonhams sale later this month at the Stafford Classic bike show :) There will inevitably be some Vinnie’s there.

If you cant wait Chris Spaett has a nice Rapide here. In fact he nearly always has a few nice Vincents in stock, often from cherished collections.

http://www.ventureclassics.com/stock%20list.htm

Steve

Okay- I’m gonna take a swing at this………………

At the complete opposite side of the spectrum from a honeymoon performance-related injury………….

You could have been reporting further injury relating to throwing your leg over a Fat Boy.

(Come on - I ain’t the only one who saw that……….. )

R80 wouldn't start :-(

Flat battery.

On charge. Will try again tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Okay- I’m gonna take a swing at this………………

At the complete opposite side of the spectrum from a honeymoon performance-related injury………….

You could have been reporting further injury relating to throwing your leg over a Fat Boy.

(Come on - I ain’t the only one who saw that……….. )
    You actually are

Tough choice about which BMW to ride today.

I went for the S1000RR as the other two will be ridden all through the winter.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Tough choice about which BMW to ride today.

I went for the S1000RR as the other two will be ridden all through the winter.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    Thats the nice thing about a multi bike stable , decision’s decisions:)

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Likewise, out today. Beautiful day here in Sussex. Really enjoying this bike.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Fat Bob?

Lovely bike, was torn between one of those and my Indian Scout Bobber.

Just read about this on your other thread. Sounds horrid, hope you feel better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Just read about this on your other thread. Sounds horrid, hope you feel better soon.
    Thank you very much. I’m hoping some treatment through BUPA is imminent.

Did manage a 40 mile ride today, relocating the R80 + trailer.

It wouldn't start when we tried yesterday - flat battery - bit odd as it's been fine and on a tender when not in use apart from the last 3-4 weeks.

Left it to charge overnight, and it was still useless today. Managed to jump start the bike off of the car and it was ok as long as I didn't let the revs drop.

With the bike jump-started again, I decided that it was best to make the journey in daylight so hitched up the trailer and got my mate to follow me in the "support car".

All fairly uneventful, but made sure that at every junction I kept the revs up as I wasn't sure if it would restart... and having checked when I got home I was right. It wouldn't.

Battery shopping tomorrow methinks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Did manage a 40 mile ride today, relocating the R80 + trailer.

It wouldn't start when we tried yesterday - flat battery - bit odd as it's been fine and on a tender when not in use apart from the last 3-4 weeks.

Left it to charge overnight, and it was still useless today. Managed to jump start the bike off of the car and it was ok as long as I didn't let the revs drop.

With the bike jump-started again, I decided that it was best to make the journey in daylight so hitched up the trailer and got my mate to follow me in the "support car".

All fairly uneventful, but made sure that at every junction I kept the revs up as I wasn't sure if it would restart... and having checked when I got home I was right. It wouldn't.

Battery shopping tomorrow methinks.
    Gyp I have fitted two Motobatts ( yellow 4 pin) to my F650 and F700GS. They say the cranking voltage is good on them, which is handy for your boxer. I had Yuasa before and they failed after 2 to 3 years (BMW immobiliser for you) the Motobatts have far exceeded that

Gyp I have fitted two Motobatts ( yellow 4 pin) to my F650 and F700GS. They say the cranking voltage is good on them, which is handy for your boxer. I had Yuasa before and they failed after 2 to 3 years (BMW immobiliser for you) the Motobatts have far exceeded that
    Ta.

Currently using a Banner, but have had various over the years. as they seem to last about 3-4 years, I've probably bought about 8-10 or so for it.

The Motobatt looks to be about twice the price of the regular lead acid... will it last at least twice as long?

Not sure if I can charge it with my Ctek MXS charger. Emailed supplier to check

As both of my Boxers need batteries I'm looking at £240 for the pair. Eek!

That is about the only issue with battery tenders. They can mask a failing battery.

Unplug it, start the bike up fine- ride to the petrol station, fill up and that’s it. No more starts.

Just google your tender make/model for the spec, but if you have been using it on your current battery, it will work on the Motobatts (only batts that don’t like ‘traditional’ tenders are Lithiums.

Motobatt are usually pretty cheap to buy (but they are good batteries). Yuasa are about the only other ones I use.

Just google your tender make/model for the spec, but if you have been using it on your current battery, it will work on the Motobatts (only batts that don’t like ‘traditional’ tenders are Lithiums.
    Turns out there's no problem - there's even an AGM setting (though it doesn't appear to do anything different to the standard setting.

Motobatt are usually pretty cheap to buy (but they are good batteries). Yuasa are about the only other ones I use.
    Having searched about a bit there appears to be quite a range of prices and I've found another supplier £50 less expensive than the first. The Motobatt batteries are still 40% or so more than a Yuasa but might be worth a try anyway if they are well regarded.

Just put a despot down today on a Ducati Streetfighter V2. It was a tough choice, between V2 and the Aprilia V4, but who needs 175bhp on the road and the V2 is just gorgeous to look at. Only two weeks to go to collection.......

Having searched about a bit there appears to be quite a range of prices and I've found another supplier £50 less expensive than the first. The Motobatt batteries are still 40% or so more than a Yuasa but might be worth a try anyway if they are well regarded.
    I'd normally have Yuasa over Motobatt on quality - not sure why they appear to be so expensive comparitively.

What model battery are you looking at?

Not been in a while .... glad to hear most of you are all good, saddened by the loss of Chrissy Rouse, gld @oldhooky you are ok, sounds like a fright.

I was at Donny at the weekend for the last round of No Limits Race series .... here is what Race Control looks like for anyone curious....

I'd normally have Yuasa over Motobatt on quality - not sure why they appear to be so expensive comparitively.

What model battery are you looking at?
    MBTX30U and MB51814

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Fat Bob?

Lovely bike, was torn between one of those and my Indian Scout Bobber.
    It is indeed the Fat Bob 114. 1868cc of Harley goodness. Pulls and sounds like a V8 muscle car. Makes me look cool too which isn't easy! :)

MBTX30U and MB51814

Motobatt is an AGM, it looks like the Yuasa is LA and is shipped dry and you are left to get it filled with acid bought locally (HSE rules).

So - I'd either go for the Motobatt or an equivelant Lithium.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Just put a despot down today

I thought you had ended the Russian Special Military Operation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Just put a despot down today on a Ducati Streetfighter V2. It was a tough choice, between V2 and the Aprilia V4, but who needs 175bhp on the road and the V2 is just gorgeous to look at. Only two weeks to go to collection.......
    There was a cracking review for the V2 in MCN about two weeks ago. They compared the V2 and the streetfighter V4. In summary they said for real world use the V2 wins hands down even though its “only 150 bhp” . Enjoy

There was a cracking review for the V2 in MCN about two weeks ago. They compared the V2 and the streetfighter V4. In summary they said for real world use the V2 wins hands down even though its “only 150 bhp” . Enjoy
    Thought that would be the case.

I might have to throw my leg over one at the bike show next month.

Unless today's announcement from Norton changes the big twin landscape...

OK, where's the Ducati stand?

Master
    IMO the V twin is the way to go.. I’ve spoken to a few V4 owners Multi Strada, Panagale and Streetfighter owners and they all moan about fuel consumption and range..

Ducati have even introduced cylinder de activation and a bigger fuel tank for the Multi Strada.

I was asked by my dealer if I’d be swapping my XDiavel for the new V4 when it comes out… Can’t see that I would based on V4 fuel consumption 👎

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    IMO the V twin is the way to go.. I’ve spoken to a few V4 owners Multi Strada, Panagale and Streetfighter owners and they all moan about fuel consumption and range..

Ducati have even introduced cylinder de activation and a bigger fuel tank for the Multi Strada.

I was asked by my dealer if I’d be swapping my XDiavel for the new V4 when it comes out… Can’t see that I would based on V4 fuel consumption 👎
    And let’s be honest here, if you’re buying a Ducati, it really should be a twin!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    And let’s be honest here, if you’re buying a Ducati, it really should be a twin!
    End of discussion. Next?

https://nortonmotorcycles.com/range/commando-961/

Yes, I know it's "only" 77bhp.

Yes, I know it's £16,500.

Yes, I know it's the Norton that my son's not had a hand in engineering.

But I rather like it.

But I rather like it.
    It’s a masterpiece of retro/modern styling, that is for sure, and would make a reasonable object d’art in a decent sized hallway.

But - I have heard of real horror-stories about running them.

It’s a masterpiece of retro/modern styling, that is for sure, and would make a reasonable object d’art in a decent sized hallway.

But - I have heard of real horror-stories about running them.
    I'm guessing that's why they've spent rather a lot of time and money re-engineering before re-launching.

It'd be a real shame if the problems persist.

More bike related stuff

Well that’s my Multistrada moved on, still have the Z650RS (will part ex against the new bike) left to play with but my intentions are to move to 1 bike that I can do some weekend or midweek rides and comfortable enough to tour on.

I have initially decided on the Kawasaki Z900 RS SE and await a delivery date, most likely next year.

I’ve just laid eyes on another bike which looks just as nice but I’m not sure the riding position would be as comfortable as the Kawasaki?

The Triumph Thruxton RS bike, looks amazing but I do prefer a more upright position hence looking at the Kwak, thinking I’d be leaning too far forward on the Triumph to consider it being as comfortable as the Kwak.

May have to drive out to a Dealer an hour away and see if I can have a test ride if the Thruxton…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Martylaa; 11th October 2022 at 18:27.

Choices - choices !!!

They are both such great renditions of Retro/modern !!

For me (who only has ridden bikes since 2004) - it would be the Kawasaki.

It harks back to a real threshold in bike manufacture, not a restyle of a (perhaps) a standard model from before then.

Master

But I rather like it.
    I was looking at one on Sunday at the Ponderosa Cafe N.Wales. Lovely styling of the bodywork, but that motor kooks a big lump. The air cooled barrel just looks massive ( in a nice way) when we are used to seeing slimmed down w/c blocks.

Some nice hi res images here

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Bad luck, must be gutted about that especially as you`ve not had it long..

Question: now that you`ve sampled the bike for a while if the insurance company play fair will you replace it with the same?
    Funnily enough, I’ve just found a NOS one, and it’s local. I’m going to call the insurance company tomorrow and see how far they’ve got with the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Well that’s my Multistrada moved on, still have the Z650RS (will part ex against the new bike) left to play with but my intentions are to move to 1 bike that I can do some weekend or midweek rides and comfortable enough to tour on.

I have initially decided on the Kawasaki Z900 RS SE and await a delivery date, most likely next year.

I’ve just laid eyes on another bike which looks just as nice but I’m not sure the riding position would be as comfortable as the Kawasaki?

The Triumph Thruxton RS bike, looks amazing but I do prefer a more upright position hence looking at the Kwak, thinking I’d be leaning too far forward on the Triumph to consider it being as comfortable as the Kwak.

May have to drive out to a Dealer an hour away and see if I can have a test ride if the Thruxton…

Try the Speed Twin it's just a more comfortable Thruxton basically.

Of course, there is also this... https://www.bsacompany.co.uk/bsa-gold-star/

Maybe a bit early but who knows, in a couple of years, when the product has matured a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post

A flat bar conversion is a very popular mod on Thruxtons for this very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Try the Speed Twin it's just a more comfortable Thruxton basically.
    This. If you need an easier riding position, the latest Speed twin is just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    This. If you need an easier riding position, the latest Speed twin is just as good.
    To be fair, the Thruxton has a far better suspension spec than the Speed Twin, although brakes now appear to be the same (I think there's been an upgrade to the ST spec).

It's worth saying that I rode quite a few thousand miles on my Thruxton R with not a single issue regarding comfort generally or back specifically. I acquired it aged about 60 and have a history of lower back issues, too.