closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 20 of 359 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 17907

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Bloody hell - that’s bad luck. Worrying, too, being in our neck of the woods.

Anyway, in other news I had a play on one of these today - the Monster 797. I can’t believe how perfect it felt, and had I tried it earlier I think I’d probably have bought one.

you can always have more than 1 :)

this is why people were recommending naked sports , they are comfortable and have the power /flickability if you want it , lots of people change their bike within a year of getting it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Popping over to On Yer Bike in Aylesbury should anyone fancy meeting there today. Big sale in the shop and lots of bikes to swing a leg over
    Some interesting if very degraded roads nearby.

The old railways worth a tea stop as is Claydon house,you don’t have to go in as the cafe is in the courtyard.
    It’s a very relaxing place with some small art galleries, the cafe food is also very good.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/claydon

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    you can always have more than 1 :)

this is why people were recommending naked sports , they are comfortable and have the power /flickability if you want it , lots of people change their bike within a year of getting it.
    Yes, I can see that now, actually, and I reckon that I’ll be making some changes about 12 months down the line. The problem I’ve found is that for the riding I had in mind (that is, urban/commuting and some A road bimbles) the Street Twin is perfect. On the long journeys I’ve been doing, though, I’d really like something with more top end power.

Given that my ex ended up with the garage amongst other things, I’m currently limited to one bike. I think I might look into some storage options, though... perhaps get rid of the two sheds at the back of the garden and replace them with something I could get a bike or two in instead

Master
    I've now ridden my Guzzi 100 miles or so and discovered it has one very annoying problem. It's got a hard rev limiter set at 4500 rpm for the first 900 miles (it gets re-set at first service). The bike rides ok and will keep up with traffic no problem but i want that extra 3000 RPM's !! Basically it is begging for more and i can't oblige

More bike related stuff

Yes, I can see that now, actually, and I reckon that I’ll be making some changes about 12 months down the line. The problem I’ve found is that for the riding I had in mind (that is, urban/commuting and some A road bimbles) the Street Twin is perfect. On the long journeys I’ve been doing, though, I’d really like something with more top end power.

Given that my ex ended up with the garage amongst other things, I’m currently limited to one bike. I think I might look into some storage options, though... perhaps get rid of the two sheds at the back of the garden and replace them with something I could get a bike or two in instead
    In 12 months you’ll be on a GS because it can do all of those things in one.

You need something to keep the weather off. If we have another winter like the last one there will be times when you won’t want to ride without any weather protection. I know I won’t be on my R9 and already have the battery conditioner wired in and wall-mounted. Perhaps one of those metal bike sheds might be worth considering?
    Last edited by j0hnbarker; 23rd October 2018 at 11:18.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    In 12 months you’ll be on a GS because it can do all of those things in one.

You need something to keep the weather off. If we have another winter like the last one there will be times when you won’t want to ride without any weather protection. I know I won’t be on my R9 and already have the battery conditioner wired in and wall-mounted. Perhaps one of those metal bike sheds might be worth considering?
    I keep it in a Ridehide, and I’ve also had it professionally ACF-50’d. I’ll be riding it through the winter anyway, albeit not when it’s raining, so I’m hoping it’ll survive in one piece.

I keep it in a Ridehide, and I’ve also had it professionally ACF-50’d. I’ll be riding it through the winter anyway, albeit not when it’s raining, so I’m hoping it’ll survive in one piece.
    Fair enough. I’m above the snow line on the western edges of Sheffield. Had a few weeks last winter where it was impossible to get the cars down the street let alone a bike.

Defo laying mine up for a few months!

More bike related stuff

You need a sidecar for winter. And do the Elefantentreffen (https://bvdm.de/aktivitaeten-und-fah...ng_2019_UK.php) next February
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 23rd October 2018 at 12:41.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Don't proper 'bikers keep their machines in the kitchen during the winter months? ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master

An interesting observation after only one week - and something that informs/influences my own imminent "which bike" decision. I've put a deposit on a BMW F750GS, in the belief that it is a good all-rounder with sufficient performance for my needs.

Watching this "first ride" video, it certainly sounds like it will hit the spot, although it's fairly clear it will need a better screen:

I really don't want/need (can't afford) another money-eating "collection" hobby!

That Ridehide looks interesting.....how're you finding it?

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    An interesting observation after only one week - and something that informs/influences my own imminent "which bike" decision. I've put a deposit on a BMW F750GS, in the belief that it is a good all-rounder with sufficient performance for my needs.

Watching this "first ride" video, it certainly sounds like it will hit the spot, although it's fairly clear it will need a better screen:

I really don't want/need (can't afford) another money-eating "collection" hobby!
    I doubt you'll be disappointed. I had the F650GS when they were launched in 2008 and within a month of owning I rode down to Turkey and back with a group of friends on R1200GS's. I was totally happy that I was on the 800.....had no issues and it suited my smaller size much better. This latest version looks 'the dogs' and well capable.

Master
    ^^^ Thanks, I certainly hope so.

Training starts tomorrow (F700GS) so hopefully, I'll get a good idea how they feel.

Master
    ^^^ Thanks, I certainly hope so.

Training starts tomorrow (F700GS) so hopefully, I'll get a good idea how they feel.
    Rode my F650GS (800 twin) to Italy and back last year 3000 miles two up , never missed a beat.

Did 28,000 on it over7 years. Liked it so much bought a F700gs 18 months old this Summer. As a medium sized bike the 800 cc engine is so frugal 68 / 70 mpg easily. Tubeless tyres so carry a stop n go. I blinged mine up with a grands worth of Wilbers plus screen bars etc.

Great bike to learn on, just be careful with slow speed manouvers as the throttle can be a bit snatchy. People fit resistors to them that tells the bike its Ambient-20 deg C, so the bike over fuels and the snatch is improved.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    That Ridehide looks interesting.....how're you finding it?
    It certainly seems to do the job. One problem though - if I use the steering lock then I need to lift the cover over the uppermost mirror. That means I can’t anchor it as I wanted to, so I need to cobble something together when it’s really windy.

I’ve just bought a Dart Marlin screen for mine, actually. I’ve not it taken above 70 as yet (I’m still running it in) but I’ve done a lot of motorway miles already and it’s very windy with the little Triumph flyscreen fitted.

Master
    Just seeing this thread, and it’s just brilliant to read and hear the biking honeymoon! Biking is therapy. I lead and run biking tours around Europe and always happy to share experiences with others. I’m based West London if anyone is up for a ride out south (Surrey to the coast) or Bucks/towards Oxford. Breakfast run to Benson always popular and a good chance to talk watches and bikes when there!

I’ve just bought a Dart Marlin screen for mine, actually. I’ve not it taken above 70 as yet (I’m still running it in) but I’ve done a lot of motorway miles already and it’s very windy with the little Triumph flyscreen fitted.
    Isnt the speed limit in that archaic isle () only 70 though

I tried 5 different screens on my most used bike before finding one suitable and turbulence free.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Just seeing this thread, and it’s just brilliant to read and hear the biking honeymoon! Biking is therapy. I lead and run biking tours around Europe and always happy to share experiences with others. I’m based West London if anyone is up for a ride out south (Surrey to the coast) or Bucks/towards Oxford. Breakfast run to Benson always popular and a good chance to talk watches and bikes when there!
    I see a new thread for this

...and so it begins

It certainly seems to do the job. One problem though - if I use the steering lock then I need to lift the cover over the uppermost mirror. That means I can’t anchor it as I wanted to, so I need to cobble something together when it’s really windy.
    I've used a Ridehide for about 3 years now Tony, a brilliant bit of kit if you haven't (like me) got a garage. With regards fitting the cover over the mirror I had the same problem with my R1200RLC so I used to sit on the bike to keep it level, wheel it inside the cover then pull the hoops vertical whilst still sat on the bike. Once they were vertical then put the bike on its side stand and put the steering lock on, the hoops couldn't drop back down as the mirror was in the way. As this was a bit of a faff I changed my mirrors for a set of Wunderlich Ergo ones and problem solved.

I'm assuming you have the Ridehide bolted down to the drive of course!

H's at Berinsfield? Not the riverside cafe at Benson surely!

Master
    I see a new thread for this
    Let's do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    H's at Berinsfield? Not the riverside cafe at Benson surely!
    Far more civilised to talk watches at the Riverside and enjoy their Eggs Royale, and then a blat to H's Cafe and pop into the Infinity whilst there. Followed by the run to OYB via the B4011 before heading home via P.Risborough...

Far more civilised to talk watches at the Riverside and enjoy their Eggs Royale, and then a blat to H's Cafe and pop into the Infinity whilst there. Followed by the run to OYB via the B4011 before heading home via P.Risborough...
    Last time I was in the Riverside cafe their breakfast was absolutely awful.

H's for me every time, you can't beat their sausage eggs and chips! Mind you I've been going their for donkey's years so I'm probably biased, it used to be Fox's diner before it was H's, was still a biker cafe back then though.

Master
    Last time I was in the Riverside cafe their breakfast was absolutely awful.

H's for me every time, you can't beat their sausage eggs and chips! Mind you I've been going their for donkey's years so I'm probably biased, it used to be Fox's diner before it was H's, was still a biker cafe back then though.
    I've been at the Riverside the past couple years, and everytime it has been great. Perhaps you just caught them on a bad day. It has generally been very good. It is also far better if we were to bring or share thoughts on watches in their setting than at H's in the carpark.

H's is considerably more modest in their offering as a typical biker cafe. I think their food is bloody awful and never sure if it is horsemeat or otherwise...

I can assure you the meat at H's isn't horsemeat :) I've known the family that runs H's since their days running the Gorge cafe in Reading, again for many decades.

I wouldn't want to put any watches on their tables and chat about them, I'm with you there!

Who's going to organise the TZ Biker's Breakfast, then?

Well, I've fitted it and it looks pretty good, I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    ...and so it begins

I've used a Ridehide for about 3 years now Tony, a brilliant bit of kit if you haven't (like me) got a garage. With regards fitting the cover over the mirror I had the same problem with my R1200RLC so I used to sit on the bike to keep it level, wheel it inside the cover then pull the hoops vertical whilst still sat on the bike. Once they were vertical then put the bike on its side stand and put the steering lock on, the hoops couldn't drop back down as the mirror was in the way. As this was a bit of a faff I changed my mirrors for a set of Wunderlich Ergo ones and problem solved.

I'm assuming you have the Ridehide bolted down to the drive of course!
    It's in the garden, Duncan, but as mentioned I've not been able to bolt it down due to the requirement to lift it. I'll have a play around based on your own technique, but i do have a plan to secure it to the ground in a way that would still enable it to be lifted.

As an aside, I'm doing some stuff to make the bike my own in terms of looks. Firstly, I've ordered the side panels from the matt black version, as they properly match all the engine casings (I've never thought the gloss side panels on the standard black paintwork looked right); I've also ordered the black headlamp bezel and cage from the Street Scrambler, and will fit all of that as soon as I have my hands on it.

I've decided that I'm going to have my own paint job on the tank, too. I'm thinking a classic black/off white Bonnie style, and will talk to 8Ball Custom and one or two others about it. It's going to look amazing when its finished!

As an aside, I'm doing some stuff to make the bike my own in terms of looks. Firstly, I've ordered the side panels from the matt black version, as they properly match all the engine casings (I've never thought the gloss side panels on the standard black paintwork looked right); I've also ordered the black headlamp bezel and cage from the Street Scrambler, and will fit all of that as soon as I have my hands on it.

I've decided that I'm going to have my own paint job on the tank, too. I'm thinking a classic black/off white Bonnie style, and will talk to 8Ball Custom and one or two others about it. It's going to look amazing when its finished!
    For a bike that You've already decided you may only keep for a year this could be folly.

If you plan to keep it for years then only do so for a year then it's unfortunate.

I speak from the position of someone that bought an 883 Harley Davidson, fitted 1200 barrels and pistons, 1200 gearing, screamin' eagle high flow heads, cams, ignition flat-slide carburetor, intake and exhausts. Then dual disks, dual seat, Progressive rear shocks, rev counter, forward controls, engine bars, leather panniers rack and sissy bar and pad. Oh and a screen and clock.

Than sold it for the same as I'd have got if I'd left it stock.

It was quite quick... for a Harley

^^^ Yeah, the point's not lost on me. However, I'm managing to convince myself that I'd be better off picking up a used sports bike a few years old, and having the two

^^^ Yeah, the point's not lost on me. However, I'm managing to convince myself that I'd be better off picking up a used sports bike a few years old, and having the two
    At least two? Well, that's alright then :-)

Master

We need to start a modifications thread..

I’ve just ordered brown quilted seat, battery charging point, swing arm saddle bag, decat x-pipe, raised handlebar kit, and fuel booster plug..

Then I’m gonna need, mini indicators, rear carry rack, shorty front mudguard, and I’m sure I’ll find something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    We need to start a modifications thread..

I’ve just ordered brown quilted seat, battery charging point, swing arm saddle bag, decat x-pipe, raised handlebar kit, and fuel booster plug..

Then I’m gonna need, mini indicators, rear carry rack, shorty front mudguard, and I’m sure I’ll find something else...
    I like the cut of your jib!

I’ve not it taken above 70 as yet
    Eh?

Hold MY beer.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Eh?
    I'm trying to run it in properly

Bloody hell - that’s bad luck. Worrying, too, being in our neck of the woods.

Anyway, in other news I had a play on one of these today - the Monster. I can’t believe how perfect it felt, and had I tried it earlier I think I’d probably have bought one.
    Much more soul Tony!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Passed my test (DAS) in September and I already have 3 bikes. This is like watches all over again!

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Passed my test (DAS) in September and I already have 3 bikes. This is like watches all over again!

I know you have a Bonnie - what are the other two?

I'm trying to run it in properly
    You Sir, have perfect self control.
    Me...I thrashed the arse of mine from the get-go.
    Keep on at it until you hear a loud bang.
    That's what guarantees are for.

Seriously though...running in is way easier that it used to be.
    Improved lubricants, more accurate machining, better engine management, better metalurgy etc, etc.
    Sure, don't rag it, but the odd indiscretion with the right wrist* now and again won't harm anything.

*snigger

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    You Sir, have perfect self control.
    Me...I thrashed the arse of mine from the get-go.
    Keep on at it until you hear a loud bang.
    That's what guarantees are for.

Seriously though...running in is way easier that it used to be.
    Improved lubricants, more accurate machining, better engine management, better metalurgy etc, etc.
    Sure, don't rag it, but the odd indiscretion with the right wrist* now and again won't harm anything.

*snigger
    Okay, I’ll give it some proper welly tomorrow

Don’t forget to ride the bike, too
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master

I know you have a Bonnie - what are the other two?
    1941 BSA WM20 500cc single ex army despatch rider’s bike and a 1982 Honda XL250.

They all serve a different purpose, or at least that’s what I tell the wife!
    Last edited by Gurmot; 24th October 2018 at 22:24.

Agreed - it is worth running it up and down the revs a bit as it loosens up and you have a few miles on everything.

Maybe consider wrapping the panels and tank ? I have changed the look of my bike completely twice just by wrapping the side fairings.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Agreed - it is worth running it up and down the revs a bit as it loosens up and you have a few miles on everything.

Maybe consider wrapping the panels and tank ? I have changed the look of my bike completely twice just by wrapping the side fairings.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I am considering wrapping as an option, actually, but will leave the side panels once I have the matt black ones fitted. I may do the mudguards, though.

Master
    Admire your enthusiasm, Tony! But I would second the vote to temper the mods until you have a few more miles and develop your riding style. As you do, the bike shopping window becomes clearer and you WILL find the hankering for another chariot that suits/matches your riding style. Soon.

Take this from someone who is a serial bike modder and has ‘personalised’ every bike owned! I’m now at 3 bikes, each very special in their own way, but it has taken a LOT of expensive trial and error with many different V5s to land on my ideal 3!

Admire your enthusiasm, Tony! But I would second the vote to temper the mods until you have a few more miles and develop your riding style. As you do, the bike shopping window becomes clearer and you WILL find the hankering for another chariot that suits/matches your riding style. Soon.

Take this from someone who is a serial bike modder and has ‘personalised’ every bike owned! I’m now at 3 bikes, each very special in their own way, but it has taken a LOT of expensive trial and error with many different V5s to land on my ideal 3!
    I know you're talking sense

For anyone interested (), I added to my Shoreditch experience today by negotiating a wet and busy mid-morning Hyde Park Corner/Buckingham Gate, parking up for a meeting close to Westminster Abbey; then the reverse journey home again, of course.

It was a little bit hairy at times, and anyone not used to that part of London at all would probably have struggled a bit. It went pretty well, though, all things considered... a fair bit of filtering, some roads near Buck House that I see on many of the YouTube vlogs, and more experience of different types of riding. I may be working by the Abbey again soon, and I've certainly ascertained that going in on the bike is perfectly feasible, even if its only on dress-down days.

Master
    Thanks very much :)

Thanks re the test, and good luck with yours. Brave to book both for the same day, but you know what they say about fortune
    Just to update, I'm happy to say the slightly foolish plan to book both Mod1 and Mod2 on the same day has paid off. So, from CBT last Wednesday, I'm now fully passed in seven days - and absolutely knackered.

Master
    Well done mate.... bet you’re chuffed..