Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    This looks quite useful..

https://youtu.be/X45xx5kAY1E

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    This looks quite useful..

https://youtu.be/X45xx5kAY1E
    Looks really clever.
    But why do all solutions leave the helmet hanging? For obvious reason it will hand upside down and be at the mercy of a shower, unless the local wino barfs in it.
    A solution where the helmet rests on the seat (or the tank), with a D ring on one side and a lock for the helmet's D ring on the other and it would stay there, and would be decently protected from the elements, should they unleash their fury
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Talking of new bikes.. my mate currently has a Speed Triple R, Thruxton R, Ducati Scrambler, BSA Bantam and Suzuki Beamish.

He ordered a new 2021 Speed Triple on the day of the launch (part exing his existing ST) Then he realised that the BSA and the Beamish just sit around taking up room so he’s just done a deal on this... 70 plate with 29 miles on the clock.

I do like the idea of a KTM, but they all seem to be very tall whenever I've tried sitting on them.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Looks really clever.
    But why do all solutions leave the helmet hanging? For obvious reason it will hand upside down and be at the mercy of a shower, unless the local wino barfs in it.
    This. Also I'm not keen on the idea of the wind blowing resulting in the lid bouncing on the tank.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Looks really clever.
    A solution where the helmet rests on the seat (or the tank), with a D ring on one side and a lock for the helmet's D ring on the other and it would stay there, and would be decently protected from the elements, should they unleash their fury
    I suspect if you had the slot at the top rather than the bottom with could put the helmet on the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I suspect if you had the slot at the top rather than the bottom with could put the helmet on the mirror.
    That is indeed possible, at least for a full face

Master
    I’ve never liked leaving my helmet on the mirror cos it’s always covered in dead insects😝

I’ve never liked leaving my helmet on the mirror cos it’s always covered in dead insects
    I never like leaving my helmet on display with my bike full stop.

Probably explains my seemingly irrational love of top boxes. Lock it away or take it with.

I've used one of these for years, a great compromise when you need to leave your helmet with the bike and absolutely hate top boxes etc.

https://www.angrylane.com/collection...-bag-pre-order

Master
    Talking of new bikes.. my mate currently has a Speed Triple R, Thruxton R, Ducati Scrambler, BSA Bantam and Suzuki Beamish.

He ordered a new 2021 Speed Triple on the day of the launch (part exing his existing ST) Then he realised that the BSA and the Beamish just sit around taking up room so he’s just done a deal on this... 70 plate with 29 miles on the clock.
    Am I the only one who is put off by the KTM Supermoto styling? The 890 Duke could be a great bike if Vitpilen got their hands on it, but the bodywork just makes me think of this...

Just lose the sideburns, it’s not helping!

The new V7 special is fairly close to what a bike should be in my eyes...

Master
    The new V7 special is fairly close to what a bike should be in my eyes...

Love that colour and now with the softer tuned version of the V85 engine to. My pal is waiting for the dealers to re open so he can try one out.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Love that colour and now with the softer tuned version of the V85 engine to. My pal is waiting for the dealers to re open so he can try one out.
    Of a similar mind, although I prefer the Stone in the pale blue or the Centenary colour.

Master
    Seems that there’s been a bit of a u-turn regarding the HID/LED headlight MOT failure.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Seems that there’s been a bit of a u-turn regarding the HID/LED headlight MOT failure.

This is a bit of a bugger as both HID and LED bulbs are better than a 55/35W halogen on a bike. Car drivers are spoilt they have the minimum of two 55W or LED headlights plus DRL’s

I know I used to work shifts and on 2:10 the ride home was made so much safer by a HID main and two LED spots. I used to get flashed ( in annoyance) maybe once every 2 months if that.

Only issue with the hid was the warm up , maybe 5 secs whilst the bulb got going.

Master
    But this is a letter today reversing the previous decision not to allow them on bikes... therefore it’s good news if you want to upgrade to led or hid.

Master
    Sorry Gorrie I mis read the letter, must concentrate harder.

Steve

So I can put the LED bulb back in???

But keep the old ones for the MOT just in case.

Master
    It would seem so.

Master
    Mates new KTM was delivered today... he’s chuffed to bits with it.👍

Oh and I hope this is OK, but I’ve advertised a very nice Dainese Jacket on SC for anyone interested..😈

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    The 890 Duke could be a great bike if Vitpilen got their hands on it.....
    Do you mean Husquvarna?

Bloody annoying!!!!

I took my TTR in fir it's MOT today, having previously agreed with North London Triumph that they'd run off a legal sized number plate for me and stick it over the existing not-so-legal one for test purposes. I was advised that's all they regularly do in such circumstances, with the expectation that the new number plate will be immediately removed afterwards.

Given the prior discussion that took place, then, why the feck did they need to fail it first, then stick on the new number plate and pass it? I now have an MOT fail on record, which is REALLY annoying.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 20th March 2021 at 19:59.

Master
    Mates new KTM was delivered today... he’s chuffed to bits with it.

Oh and I hope this is OK, but I’ve advertised a very nice Dainese Jacket on SC for anyone interested..

Love this.

It looks like I’ve sold my 690 today. Have been looking at 790s and Yamaha XSR 900s the budget creep keeps taking me closer to 890 money though!

Much man maths is being done in my head!

All this talk of KTM has got me thinking back to the one KTM I always wanted and never had, KTM 950 supermoto. This has then widen my search to the Ducati Hypermoto, so now I know either one will be my next bike.

If anyone seller either............let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Given the prior discussion that took place, then, why the feck did they need to fail it first, then stick on the new number plate and pass it? I now have an MOT fail on record, which is REALLY annoying.
    Had similar with the R80 a couple of years ago. Informed me that I needed new tyre valves to pass it which I agreed to, so they failed it, did the valves then passed it.

Annoying after having a clean sheet for years

I took my TTR in fir it's MOT today, having previously agreed with North London Triumph that they're run off a legal sized number plate for me and stick it over the existing not-so-legal one for test purposes. I was advised that's all they regularly do in such circumstances, with the expectation that the new number plate will be immediately removed afterwards.

I too took my XJR1300 in for its MOT today, it went straight through with no advisories and was treated to a good blast.
    It’s so much easier to ride than my older RSV1000 and doesn’t beg to be ridden at silly speeds either.

It’s a big heavy lump and proper old school but great fun and reminds me of my old Z650.

More bike related stuff

Had similar with the R80 a couple of years ago. Informed me that I needed new tyre valves to pass it which I agreed to, so they failed it, did the valves then passed it.

Annoying after having a clean sheet for years
    I really don’t see an issue with a bike having a fail and a pass within a day or two; it shows that the work has been done.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 20th March 2021 at 19:52.

Master
    I took my TTR in fir it's MOT today, having previously agreed with North London Triumph that they're run off a legal sized number plate for me and stick it over the existing not-so-legal one for test purposes. I was advised that's all they regularly do in such circumstances, with the expectation that the new number plate will be immediately removed afterwards.

I’ve given up with illegal number plates, just ain’t worth the hassle, especially as I understand the fines have increased substantially from the old £30 quid and don’t do it again warning off the cops.

I’ve given up with illegal number plates, just ain’t worth the hassle, especially as I understand the fines have increased substantially from the old £30 quid and don’t do it again warning off the cops.
    Not bought one yet, but this lot seem to have thought through how to make small but legal plates for bikes, by minimising the unnecessary borders etc.

https://www.jdmplates.co.uk/smallest...number-plates/

I took my TTR in fir it's MOT today, having previously agreed with North London Triumph that they'd run off a legal sized number plate for me and stick it over the existing not-so-legal one for test purposes. I was advised that's all they regularly do in such circumstances, with the expectation that the new number plate will be immediately removed afterwards.

I think that is kind of cavalier behaviour by the dealer. I have taken a bike for an MOT and forgot about the small (5x7) plate on it. They did the MOT as normal but asked me to hang about for 45 mins before leaving, so that if I was stopped, there was sufficient time between the logged MOT time and the stop.

Normally I would ensure that I didn't put the MOT centre in a compromising situation.

I suspect that in your situation there was a disconnect between the manager and the mechanic.

The MOT fail has the reason so when you sell the bike - a buyer would be pretty non-plussed about the failure.

Master
    Not bought one yet, but this lot seem to have thought through how to make small but legal plates for bikes, by minimising the unnecessary borders etc.

I’ve got Jdm plates on all my bikes, not the cheapest, but they come with a little card that says they’re legal and comply with the regs. I keep it under the seat just in case I get an awkward copper.

I’ve had this previously, Tony, but with my car.

Booked my 6 series in at the garage to fit a new rear brake caliper, (which I supplied) due to the old one being sticky, and to finish with a fresh MOT.

They failed the car on a sticking rear caliper, fitted the new one, and then passed it.

I assumed that there must be some sort of incentive for the garage to do it, because, in my mind, there was absolutely no reason to MOT it before undertaking the only work it was booked in for.

The local BMW dealer did the MOT on the tangerine dream last week. It had an illegal plate which I wanted to keep. Asked them to make up a legal one and stick it gently on. Instead they stuck it over the old one with 2 big strips of tape, which then damaged the original when I removed it. Was pretty hacked off at the lack of respect for someone else’s property, despite a weak apology when I sent photos.

Wil be looking for a good independent now as I’ve spent roughly 1000 quid with them in the past month or so...

On a happier note, fitted some very cool LED indicators (thanks Ian!) today.

Before:

After:

The drips on the floor are from a quick wash, not oil leaking

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    I’ve had this previously, Tony, but with my car.

Booked my 6 series in at the garage to fit a new rear brake caliper, (which I supplied) due to the old one being sticky, and to finish with a fresh MOT.

They failed the car on a sticking rear caliper, fitted the new one, and then passed it.

I assumed that there must be some sort of incentive for the garage to do it, because, in my mind, there was absolutely no reason to MOT it before undertaking the only work it was booked in for.
    In case it failed catastrophically on something else after they'd fitted the new caliper?
    I know the garage I've used for years does it this way.

Years and years ago I used to use a different garage. They failed my car on (only) 'drivers view of the road' because my washer bottle was empty. They'd previously been accommodating with a few MOT issues so I was surprised they wouldn't out a bit of water in and pass it.

Master

Yep. Definitely recommend jdm plates. If you have a 6 digit (or less) plate, they can fit quite nicely on the back of a bike - and still be legal. They have all the required markings (maker's postcode etc).

Don't forget that if you want to take your bike across the English Channel the plate will need to show GB (or other national identifier) so you will need enough space for a sticker of the specified size.
    Apparently the French police are pretty hot on this sort of thing at the moment, along with what foodstuffs you have brought with you!
    Last edited by Stanford; 20th March 2021 at 22:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Don't forget that if you want to take your bike across the English Channel the plate will need to show GB (or other national identifier) so you will need enough space for a sticker of the specified size.
    Apparently the French police are pretty hot on this sort of thing at the moment, along with what foodstuffs you have brought with you!
    Yeah, I have that on my other bike, although I’ve no idea if the format is still valid post-Brexit...

Does the sticker have to go on the plate?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Does the sticker have to go on the plate?
    No

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-...-number-plates

A GB sticker on the back of a pannier/mudguard etc is fine

What I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    The local BMW dealer did the MOT on the tangerine dream last week. It had an illegal plate which I wanted to keep. Asked them to make up a legal one and stick it gently on. Instead they stuck it over the old one with 2 big strips of tape, which then damaged the original when I removed it. Was pretty hacked off at the lack of respect for someone else’s property, despite a weak apology when I sent photos.

Wil be looking for a good independent now as I’ve spent roughly 1000 quid with them in the past month or so...
    Yes, i had tape all over mine as well, then for good measure they bolted it on as well. So kind of them.

I've decided not to complain, as they're my local Triumph dealer and it suits me to keep using them. Next time, though, I'll apparently need to have the exhaust baffles fitted prior to inspection or it'll be failed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Anyone can get a GB sticker. One of these, on the other hand...

Last edited by learningtofly; 21st March 2021 at 13:54.

Blog Entries

To avoid any hassle I always keep the 'legal' plate if I change them. 10 minutes to change it over before going for an mot and same when I get back. Saves a whole lot of trouble.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    To avoid any hassle I always keep the 'legal' plate if I change them. 10 minutes to change it over before going for an mot and same when I get back. Saves a whole lot of trouble.
    I do that normally, but didn’t have a legal plate for this bike. I stupidly assumed that the dealer could follow a simple instruction!

Master

I've been caught out twice forgetting to fit my 'MOT' plate, both times I got a pass with an advisory.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I really don’t see an issue with a bike having a fail and a pass within a day or two; it shows that the work has been done.
    Being charged for a re-test in this circumstance would piss me off.

Master
    I've decided not to complain, as they're my local Triumph dealer and it suits me to keep using them. Next time, though, I'll apparently need to have the exhaust baffles fitted prior to inspection or it'll be failed!
    When I fitted my Zard exhaust to the XDiavel, I thought Mmm that’s loud. So I rode to my local independent 2 miles up the road. He’s a 916 owner.
    He had a listen and said it’s a ducati, it’ll pass.😈

When I fitted my Zard exhaust to the XDiavel, I thought Mmm that’s loud. So I rode to my local independent 2 miles up the road. He’s a 916 owner.
    He had a listen and said it’s a ducati, it’ll pass.
    The system on the Harley is a large diameter cat-free header pipe with a pair of closed-course only slip on mufflers.

The supplying dealer assures me they are road legal and will pass an MOT.

I think this is bull, which is why I'm pleased that the original system comes with the bike.

I may well reinstate the original headers leaving only the slip-ons to swap at MOT time if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    I've been caught out twice forgetting to fit my 'MOT' plate, both times I got a pass with an advisory.

Being charged for a re-test in this circumstance would piss me off.
    A retest within a set period is usually FOC.

But not always apparently.
    https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests

Master
    On a happier note, fitted some very cool LED indicators (thanks Ian!) today.
    Glad they found a good home Matt.

It's a shame so many of the MOT are so stuck on the rules.

My local guy is very relaxed about small plates and de-cat exhausts.

Even BMW dealership I use didn't bother swapping plates for the right one i brought when they did an MOT.