closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 181 of 358 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231281 ... LastLast
Results 9,001 to 9,050 of 17894

Thread: More bike related stuff

Can anyone recommend a suitable USB port?
    The ones I have found are all very bulky and I'm after something a bit tidier.

Thanks,
    Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Yep

No

I did mention it to the wife, but she replied with a look that said don’t push it sunshine..

Still only got 1400 miles on my current one, and new exhaust sitting on the bench..

Can I ask which exhaust you went for. I havent seen any for the new Rocket yet.

I have the older rocket in bubble wrap in storage now but the triple black is very tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post

Thanks,
    Chris.

I think I had this (or something very similar) on my KTM - https://ultimateaddons.com/products/...66afc902&_ss=r

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    Picked up my BMW R1150GS (full title!) from Sawbridgeworth 20 years ago today
    Fantastic, it`s so satisfying to own a bike for such a long time - you really get to know it properly, it becomes an extension of you, riding becomes instinctive due to years of muscle memory, individual customisation and/or mods work because they tend to be actual imrovements to functionality rather than gaudy farkles and as you say - the memories of the trips/events/adventures you have done together are priceless.

Well done on the anniversary, and a great bike to have done it with.

New headlight protector fitted.
    Great, but what`s going to protect your headlight protector?
    Do they make headlight protector protectors?

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post

Great, but what`s going to protect your headlight protector?
    Do they make headlight protector protectors?
    Significantly cheaper to replace a protector than a headlight. Plus I like the GS detail on it :)

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I think I had this (or something very similar) on my KTM - https://ultimateaddons.com/products/...66afc902&_ss=r
    Cheers for that. It is certainly a lot less bulky than the ones I have seen so far.

Chris.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Can I ask which exhaust you went for. I havent seen any for the new Rocket yet.

I have the older rocket in bubble wrap in storage now but the triple black is very tempting.
    I went for the Werx exhaust from the USA..

Master

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I went for the Werx exhaust from the USA..

The photo makes it look like those pipes are gong to melt the tyre. I’m going to search for the sound of one of those now.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 10th March 2021 at 22:11.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    The photo makes it look like those pipes are gong to melt the tyre. I’m going to search for the sound of one of those now.
    Haha. One way or another I fear that tyre is destined for a short, painful life.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Haha. One way or another I fear that tyre is destined for a short, painful life.
    Being burnt by the exhaust is the least of the worries on Enoch Rocket. He’s already dremelled off the chicken strips so no one can guess out how far over his bike goes :) suffice to say it will be far over.
    Last edited by higham5; 10th March 2021 at 22:46.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    Picked up my BMW R1150GS (full title!) from Sawbridgeworth 20 years ago today (it was raining then too) Been all over the place, seen lots of things, met lots of people so priceless to me. As it's her 'birthday' treated her to a new battery to get her going, new brake pads to stop her gradual decline and a positive terminal in case she needs a 'jump' in the future. Looking forward to the next 20 years but I think she'll outlive me......Cheers John B4
    p.s.can't do pics on here but some on UKGSER (oilheads section)
    What a great looking bike. So nice to see a bike with character, instead of yet another clone.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    What a great looking bike. So nice to see a bike with character, instead of yet another clone.

Exactly my thought, mines only a youngster. I’ve had it 16 years. Image1615427001.400521.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Exactly my thought, mines only a youngster. I’ve had it 16 years. Image1615427001.400521.jpg

It's these bikes I'm drawn to though when I park up at the biker cafe stops. I still envy you guys who have found a bike that is so good you stick with it that long. Its a bit like finding the perfect watch.
    I get sucked in by the marketing blurb and end up keeping a bike for a few years before realising its not what I really needed/wanted.
    My current bike, an Africa Twin Crf1100 is bucking this trend though. I'd wanted one for years but was waiting for cruise control and heated grips (I do a lot of motorway miles when I use it for my commute). When it came along I got a good deal on one and haven't looked back.

Top box and handguards fitted today.
    And a few pics of my two brothers bikes.

Chris.

Master
    In the spirit of the original post, I’m wondering which new middleweight naked I’m most tempted by at the moment. We’re spoilt for choice. In no particular order there’s:
    - Aprilia Tuono 660, pretty and sporty looking, maybe quite pricey for a bike of that capacity and with more electronics than a middleweight really needs (though cornering ABS is an option), but then why not. Should be fun to ride.
    - Triumph Street Triple R - probably a better choice than the RS and possibly simply better and more refined than the Aprilia (but then, I’ve been riding a 675 Street Triple for years, and there’s very little about it that needs improving, apart from just fancying a bit of variety)
    - Ducati Monster (2021 version) - at first the feeling was that they’d ruined the looks, but it’s growing on me. Side by side with old one it just feels much more modern, and the specs are excellent, tons of torque at low revs combined with low weight. Arguably it hugely outperforms the Aprilia and Triumph for about the same price. Though around town, working the Aprilia’s smaller engine harder could be entertaining.
    950 V-Twin Ducati vs parallel twin 660 Aprilia vs 765 Triple Triumph. Where would your money go?

PS - And that’s without considering outliers like the KTM Duke 890 (bit worried about reliability and unsure of the looks), the Vitpilen 701, and larger bikes like the gorgeous new Speed Triple (different price category) and the Honda CB1000r (not sure the facelift has improved it tbh). I’m ignoring the Yamaha MT-07/09 as they’re too damn ugly and it’s a clear win for the Triumph.

Took the Scrambler for MOT. Exhaust 'Not for road use'!! I know it's a bit fruity but never thought it overly loud. Anyway, all good now and passed. Roll on June and freedom.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    In the spirit of the original post, I’m wondering which new middleweight naked I’m most tempted by at the moment. We’re spoilt for choice. In no particular order there’s:
    - Aprilia Tuono 660, pretty and sporty looking, maybe quite pricey for a bike of that capacity and with more electronics than a middleweight really needs (though cornering ABS is an option), but then why not. Should be fun to ride.
    - Triumph Street Triple R - probably a better choice than the RS and possibly simply better and more refined than the Aprilia (but then, I’ve been riding a 675 Street Triple for years, and there’s very little about it that needs improving, apart from just fancying a bit of variety)
    - Ducati Monster (2021 version) - at first the feeling was that they’d ruined the looks, but it’s growing on me. Side by side with old one it just feels much more modern, and the specs are excellent, tons of torque at low revs combined with low weight. Arguably it hugely outperforms the Aprilia and Triumph for about the same price. Though around town, working the Aprilia’s smaller engine harder could be entertaining.
    950 V-Twin Ducati vs parallel twin 660 Aprilia vs 765 Triple Triumph. Where would your money go?

PS - And that’s without considering outliers like the KTM Duke 890 (bit worried about reliability and unsure of the looks), the Vitpilen 701, and larger bikes like the gorgeous new Speed Triple (different price category) and the Honda CB1000r (not sure the facelift has improved it tbh). I’m ignoring the Yamaha MT-07/09 as they’re too damn ugly and it’s a clear win for the Triumph.
    MCN has recently run some comparison test on middleweights certainly the 765 and the Ap 660 is featured in this weeks. I know its a pain but you really need to sit astride a bike to get a feel of it and drink in its looks. Also whilst sat on the bike ( in riding gear not sneakers and a cardigan) assess the weight on your arms, the angle of your knees. These are the things that will stay with you long after the allure of X bhp or Y electronic gizmo.
    There are quite a few youtube vids on 600 to 800’s shootouts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Took the Scrambler for MOT. Exhaust 'Not for road use'!! I know it's a bit fruity but never thought it overly loud. Anyway, all good now and passed. Roll on June and freedom.

The full system on my incoming is classed as "closed circuit only not for road use", but the dealer has assured me that it's fine and the insurance are happy with it so fair enough.

If it all goes wrong at the MOT next year I do have the stock system to reinstate if need be.

As an aside, I was amused to discover this week that Cobra make an exhaust called a "Neighbor Hater". If that wasn't funny enough, the description of the pipes describes the end of the mufflers as having a "belled end"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    MCN has recently run some comparison test on middleweights certainly the 765 and the Ap 660 is featured in this weeks. I know its a pain but you really need to sit astride a bike to get a feel of it and drink in its looks. Also whilst sat on the bike ( in riding gear not sneakers and a cardigan) assess the weight on your arms, the angle of your knees. These are the things that will stay with you long after the allure of X bhp or Y electronic gizmo.
    There are quite a few youtube vids on 600 to 800’s shootouts as well.
    Agreed, there’s really no way to know without riding them all, that’s why it keeps going round in my head! I’ve read all the shoot outs, I was just reading the MCN Tuono review before I posted in fact. The Monster is calling me, as I’ve never had the Ducati V-twin experience, though used to enjoy an SV650. And yet, the Triumph is faultless.

Oh, on the subject of motorcycles, my lad has just accepted a position as a chassis design engineer at Norton Motorcycles and starts after Easter.

TVS, the Indian motorcycle manufacturer that bought Norton last year, are investing heavily in the firm and it seems already have decent graduate programmes in place.

I'm a very proud father.

Now, about the factory tour and staff discount scheme...

Agreed, there’s really no way to know without riding them all, that’s why it keeps going round in my head! I’ve read all the shoot outs, I was just reading the MCN Tuono review before I posted in fact. The Monster is calling me, as I’ve never had the Ducati V-twin experience, though used to enjoy an SV650. And yet, the Triumph is faultless.
    The newer Striple R v the new Monster is a great match-up - two lovely bikes that feel very different to ride. Looking forward to updates (and thanks for getting the thread back on track at last )

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Oh, on the subject of motorcycles, my lad has just accepted a position as a chassis design engineer at Norton Motorcycles and starts after Easter.

TVS, the Indian motorcycle manufacturer that bought Norton last year, are investing heavily in the firm and it seems already have decent graduate programmes in place.

I'm a very proud father.

Whoa - that's fantastic!

Blog Entries

Thanks,
    Chris.

I used one of these on my Interceptor, it's quite tidy looking and easy to mount. Might need to extend the wires and check the fork size but it's not bad for the price.
    https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorc...erceptor%20650

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

My TTR is going in to North London Triumph next Saturday for its MOT, and it'll be wearing it's somewhat illegal licence plate. Apparently I have to pay them £15 in order that they can print off a legal plate; stick it over the existing plate during the test process; and then remove it so I can pop it in my backpack and take it home.

"Everything is filmed on CCTV so we can't take the chance..."

Both bikes back from services and MOTs at Bahnstormer. Gulp making bills but now ready for the summer and the end of lockdown .

Crossing and hotels also now booked for our trip to the South East of France in August. Very excited to finally be going as we had planned it for last summer.

Master

I'm a very proud father.

Great news , and form a orderly queue for the factory tour:)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Both bikes back from services and MOTs at Bahnstormer. Gulp making bills but now ready for the summer and the end of lockdown .

Crossing and hotels also now booked for our trip to the South East of France in August. Very excited to finally be going as we had planned it for last summer.
    Matt watch the speed limits in France in 2017 they started a rolling “ knock 10kph” of all limits. So 50 becomes a 40 etc. My Garmin didnt have the latest updates and the Gendarmerie were very much in evidence. Some towns are 30kph but unlike our 20’s they enforce them.

Im sure I read on a forum that a freedom of information request on the DVLA led to the fact that there had been 500,000 requests from France to the Dvla for UK speeders in 2019 / 20. Currently under the new rules that cooperation no longer exists , so its likely the Gendarmerie will be insisting on roadside fines. The total fines issued on uK drivers was estimated at 500 million eg £100 a pop.

Steve

Craftsman

Have a similar shortlist, although I've decided on a change after 10 years on the Tiger (wonderful bike that it is), so no triumph on it.

Ducati, both monster and supersport, Aprilia Tuono 660, Yamaha xsr 900 and the new Moto guzzi V7 850. An eclectic mix

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 848 Streetfighter yet. I have the 1098 and it's an amazing bike and super lightweight. I know there's at least one other on TZ too. Definitely a keeper for me and I change bikes like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post

I used to pop the little baffle back in for the MOT...not that it makes much difference. I don’t think the guys at the MOT place were that interested, they just kept telling how cool they thought the bike looked .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I used to pop the little baffle back in for the MOT...not that it makes much difference. I don’t think the guys at the MOT place were that interested, they just kept telling how cool they thought the bike looked .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's not a problem Mark. I know the MOT guy really well and showed him I had the standard original system and Said I was happy to swap it for the test so he said he'd let it go. And yes, he did mention it was a really cool looking bike too....

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

I too had a 675 Street Triple. Then had a Diavel and a S1000RR. I always regretted selling the Striple so now have the 765RS.

Not sure why you think the R may be a better choice than the RS. I went for the RS as I felt it was worth an extra grand ish for the way WAY better brakes, better suspension front and rear and slightly more hp to boot. I have never looked back, its very similar to my 11 plate Striple R but lots better in every area. I felt the R may be the same but just a bit better if that makes sense. I too fancied a Tuono, but the V4 Factory, toss up between that and the 765RS. One thing that put me of the Prilla was the lack of Official Dealers locally, also the cost. Dunno owt about the 660. Now, V twins. The Diavel was great once above about about 40 mph, below that it was lumpy and snatchy being a big v. Slow but moving traffic was unpleasant as you were constantly changing from 1st to second, or clutching it all the time, neither of which I enjoyed. The torque and hp were addictive though. I spoke to Motorapido about this, and they suggested altering the gearing to enable the engine to rev higher at lower mph speeds. You’d lose top end, gain in the traffic light sprints, but I sold it instead.

Tbh, if you like the 675 like I did, I doubt you’ll be disappointed in the 765, is the same but better. And its a Triumph.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Matt watch the speed limits in France in 2017 they started a rolling “ knock 10kph” of all limits. So 50 becomes a 40 etc. My Garmin didnt have the latest updates and the Gendarmerie were very much in evidence. Some towns are 30kph but unlike our 20’s they enforce them.

Im sure I read on a forum that a freedom of information request on the DVLA led to the fact that there had been 500,000 requests from France to the Dvla for UK speeders in 2019 / 20. Currently under the new rules that cooperation no longer exists , so its likely the Gendarmerie will be insisting on roadside fines. The total fines issued on uK drivers was estimated at 500 million eg £100 a pop.

Steve
    Thanks Steve. Good advice. I go every year (bar last year) because my dad has lived there for some time (and I spent my younger years living near Toulouse) but appreciate the heads up . I have got out of a few fines because I can still converse pretty well in French, they do like pulling bikes with UK plates though...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    I too had a 675 Street Triple. Then had a Diavel and a S1000RR. I always regretted selling the Striple so now have the 765RS.

Not sure why you think the R may be a better choice than the RS. I went for the RS as I felt it was worth an extra grand ish for the way WAY better brakes, better suspension front and rear and slightly more hp to boot. I have never looked back, its very similar to my 11 plate Striple R but lots better in every area. I felt the R may be the same but just a bit better if that makes sense. I too fancied a Tuono, but the V4 Factory, toss up between that and the 765RS. One thing that put me of the Prilla was the lack of Official Dealers locally, also the cost. Dunno owt about the 660. Now, V twins. The Diavel was great once above about about 40 mph, below that it was lumpy and snatchy being a big v. Slow but moving traffic was unpleasant as you were constantly changing from 1st to second, or clutching it all the time, neither of which I enjoyed. The torque and hp were addictive though. I spoke to Motorapido about this, and they suggested altering the gearing to enable the engine to rev higher at lower mph speeds. You’d lose top end, gain in the traffic light sprints, but I sold it instead.

Tbh, if you like the 675 like I did, I doubt you’ll be disappointed in the 765, is the same but better. And its a Triumph.

Stuart
    The reason for preferring the R to the RS is that it’s tuned for a bit more torque lower down the revs, as opposed to chasing the red line, and I do a lot of town riding. Also, I tested the RS and literally had to stop and get off it because it gave me cramp! But it’s obviously a great bike for all that, and I have no doubt I’d love one or other 765, though of course you can’t help wanting a go on all of them.

Am trying desperately hard to try to find reasons to not buy a lovely old R1150GS I’ve seen nearby.

Struggling tbh.

“I probably don’t need three bikes” is all I’ve got.

Am trying desperately hard to try to find reasons to not buy a lovely old R1150GS I’ve seen nearby.

Struggling tbh.

I don't need 3 bikes. Which is why I have 4.

Lovely old R1150GS are lovely.

As long as they don't have the electronic brakes (andIi can't remember which ones that was)

I don't need 3 bikes. Which is why I have 4.

Lovely old R1150GS are lovely.

As long as they don't have the electronic brakes (andIi can't remember which ones that was)
    Yes, sounds like the servo brake system occasionally wanted to kill the rider.

This has non abs analogue brakes....

I don’t need three bikes. I don’t need three bikes.

You do, you do. they keep their value, too
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

It was recommended that the electrical servo brakes be flushed annually to reduce (not remove) the risk of failure.

If they failed, you still had brakes but brakes that needed far more of a pull than non-servo brakes.

Annual brake services cost £lots, fixing if they failed cost £LOTS.

They did make a fun buzzy noise when you pulled them on though, very space age.

So, when are you picking the GS up then?

Out of curiosity what are people's thoughts on airbag jackets/ vests

https://youtu.be/N2jZryt607U

If you're honest with yourself you'll realise you need four bikes.
    Three is just a stepping stone.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    If you're honest with yourself you'll realise you need four bikes.
    Three is just a stepping stone.
    To five

Master

More bike related stuff

Struggling tbh.

I had one of those and always regretted selling her. Mine was the silver coloured one and it was never the same after Long Way Round.

To five
    Formula for the number of bikes you should have is : n+1
    n=number of bikes you already own

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    I think this actually deserves a Nobel prize for physics.

Beautiful in its simple elegance.

More bike related stuff

I think this actually deserves a Nobel prize for physics.

Beautiful in its simple elegance.
    No, it’s incorrect; the actual equation should read

N=n+x

Where N=number of bikes needed
    n=number of bikes already owned
    x=any number greater than zero

I can see this descending into a war of thoughts to rival the Einstein vs Bohr quantum theory kerfuffle of the early 20th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    No, it’s incorrect; the actual equation should read

N=n+x

Where N=number of bikes needed
    n=number of bikes already owned
    x=any number greater than zero
    If only there was a handy formula to work out the number of Daves required to form an 8 x 8 grid...

The N+1 theory has many exponents however a popular alternative viewpoint suggests that the correct number of bikes to own is actually;

S - 1

Where S = the number of bikes that would result in a divorce.

Master
    Talking of new bikes.. my mate currently has a Speed Triple R, Thruxton R, Ducati Scrambler, BSA Bantam and Suzuki Beamish.

He ordered a new 2021 Speed Triple on the day of the launch (part exing his existing ST) Then he realised that the BSA and the Beamish just sit around taking up room so he’s just done a deal on this...👍👍 70 plate with 29 miles on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    If only there was a handy formula to work out the number of Daves required to form an 8 x 8 grid...