timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 176 of 357 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226276 ... LastLast
Results 8,751 to 8,800 of 17840

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Wow....looks great ! Top job.
    Thanks... the headlight cowl may not be to a lot of peoples taste, but it pops off with just 2 bolts and the headlight can also then be moved a couple of inches lower if desired. Can be done in 5mins for a change of look. I wanted to try the cowl to see if it helps at higher speed. If it's a waste of time I may remove it.

Please excuse the state of the drive - it's on the list of things to do - but I wanted to post a photo of the TTR following the engine's "black conversion". I have to say that I'm very happy with the outcome, although I think I'll have the heel guards powder coated at some point soon (for some reason, Triumph don't make then in black).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Please excuse the state of the drive - it's on the list of things to do - but I wanted to post a photo of the TTR following the engine's "black conversion". I have to say that I'm very happy with the outcome, although I think I'll have the heel guards powder coated at some point soon (for some reason, Triumph don't make then in black).

Tony you could buy some carbon wrap off the bay and wrap the heel guards fairly easily. I bet it will be less than a fiver for that size. If you like the look you can either keep it or send them away for powder coating. The holes might be a bit difficult to replicate though.

I use vinyl carbon wrap on my fork legs just to prevent the shot blast look that you often get.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Thanks... the headlight cowl may not be to a lot of peoples taste, but it pops off with just 2 bolts and the headlight can also then be moved a couple of inches lower if desired. Can be done in 5mins for a change of look. I wanted to try the cowl to see if it helps at higher speed. If it's a waste of time I may remove it.
    Nice looking bike.
    I like the cowl and, even if it does nothing in terms of wind protection, it should keep the bugs off the back of the instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony you could buy some carbon wrap off the bay and wrap the heel guards fairly easily. I bet it will be less than a fiver for that size. If you like the look you can either keep it or send them away for powder coating. The holes might be a bit difficult to replicate though.

I use vinyl carbon wrap on my fork legs just to prevent the shot blast look that you often get.

Steve
    Not a bad idea, Steve, but I'm not sure that my OCD would allow it

Triumph use about 25 different blacks on the same bike; some gloss, some matt, some semi-gloss, some rippled, some textured... perhaps they didn't have a 28th black for the heel plates so didn't bother.

Thinks... I've just sent a part for the motorcycle I've not yet got to the metal finishers for powder coating. I probably should have sent the heel plates too.

Looks good.

Not sure I'd bother powder coating the heal guards. Likely to rub off & start looking a bit rough.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Looks good.

Not sure I'd bother powder coating the heal guards. Likely to rub off & start looking a bit rough.
    Thats a good point, actually.

After:

Love the "MOT numberplate" !

Thats a good point, actually.
    Get them anodised black. I had the heel guards on my Hyper anodised 40k miles ago and they are still black. I also got the reservoir brackets etc. anodised at the same time - only thing that wouldn't take for some reason were the rear pegs so left them silver (carriers are now black though).

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Get them anodised black. I had the heel guards on my Hyper anodised 40k miles ago and they are still black. I also got the reservoir brackets etc. anodised at the same time - only thing that wouldn't take for some reason were the rear pegs so left them silver (carriers are now black though).
    Thanks, and in fact I was just thinking along similar lines. I'll see how I get on with them with them as they are first, though, and then make a decision.

Blog Entries

Bike looks nice, but some longer reverse cone megs would be my choice.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Thanks, and in fact I was just thinking along similar lines. I'll see how I get on with them with them as they are first, though, and then make a decision.
    If you do, take everything ally you can find off the bike and take it along with you, as anodisers seem to use the "50 for the lot" pricing model.

That is looking good.
    Did you fit the rear shocks? Cant go wrong with Ohlins.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    That is looking good.
    Did you fit the rear shocks? Cant go wrong with Ohlins.
    Ohlins is stock on the Thruxton R👍

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Ohlins is stock on the Thruxton R👍
    Really?! Thats pretty cool.

She lives !! And I’m quite pleased with how she’s turned out.
    Managed to get her completed at the weekend, battery was flat though so only got round to trying to crank her up today. Took a while for the bowls to fill up... and thought I’d maybe made an error of judgement by adding the in-line fuel filter (thought maybe it was too much for gravity to do it’s job past that plus the one in the petcock). After about 5 mins of on/off cranking with no sign of her wanting to catch, I went for a brew...
    On my return about 30mins later she fired up on 2nd attempt... result.

Just need this snow to clear and get her booked in for an MOT.
    This bike has not been on the road since 2011 due to the previous owner suffering from ill health... so hopefully we can get her out for a few excursions this year.

Before:

After:

This looks beautiful. Really like the colour scheme and imho the cowl adds to rather than detracts from the look.

Not a bad idea, Steve, but I'm not sure that my OCD would allow it
    lots of places do custom heel guards for the thruxton , this place does a nice union jack pair for 40 quid

http://s410372035.initial-website.co...thruxton-1200/

New Indian Chief models announced an hour ago....niche market....prefer my Scout bobber....but still look pretty awesome imho. Air cooled but with a clever clock...

https://www.indianmotorcycle.co.uk/chief-dark-horse/

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Bike looks nice, but some longer reverse cone megs would be my choice.
    Thanks - I love the looks.

If you do, take everything ally you can find off the bike and take it along with you, as anodisers seem to use the "50 for the lot" pricing model.
    Hah - noted!

That is looking good.
    Did you fit the rear shocks? Can’t go wrong with Ohlins.
    Comes as standard with Showa BPFs on the front and Ohlins on the back. The R is beautifully set up with pretty much race-quality suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    lots of places do custom heel guards for the thruxton , this place does a nice union jack pair for 40 quid

http://s410372035.initial-website.co...thruxton-1200/
    Yes, I posted about those earlier in the thread. I think it would be overkill with my throttle bodies, though.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 9th February 2021 at 20:36.

Grand Master
    Really?! Thats pretty cool.
    Although changing the springs makes a good difference
    RIAC

Looks great Tony.....almost needs a 'before' and 'after' pic though to compare.

Regarding the heal guards, I did mine myself. They were on my to-do list with all the other bits for powder coating but they always irritated me so I had a go at DIY with the view that if it didn't work or last it would be so easy to either do it again or go down the powder coat route. Like you, I was surprised that Triumph don't do aftermarket ones in black.....not like them to miss a trick.

I simply removed them, cleaned thoroughly with white spirit, gave 2 coats of grey etch primer (leaving 24 hrs to dry between coats) then 2 coats of Simoniz Tough Coat in Satin Black. 6 months on no scuffs or marks at all, no repaint and no powder coating required. Just have a go, you've nothing to lose.

Can't wait to get mine back out of the shed and post some pics.....really pleased with the 'new look'.
    Last edited by skmark; 10th February 2021 at 10:55.

Master
    Love the "MOT numberplate" !
    Yeah, bit of an eyesore. Will be swapping that off quick sharp once its passed.
    Last edited by gorrie; 10th February 2021 at 18:50.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Looks great Tony.....almost needs a 'before' and 'after' pic though to compare.

Regarding the heal guards, I did mine myself. They were on my to-do list with all the other bits for powder coating but they always irritated me so I had a go at DIY with the view that if it didn't work or last it would be so easy to either do it again or go down the powder coat route. Like you, I was surprised that Triumph don't do aftermarket ones in black.....not like them to miss a trick.

I simply removed them, cleaned thoroughly with white spirit, gave 2 coats of grey etch primer (leaving 24 hrs to dry between coats) then 2 coats of Simoniz Tough Coat in Satin Black. 6 months on no scuffs or marks at all, no repaint and no powder coating required. Just have a go, you've nothing to lose.

Can't wait to get mine back out of the shed and post some pics.....really pleased with the 'new look'.
    Before and after...

All down to personal taste, I guess, but at least I don't have to worry about corrosion on the clutch & ACG covers now!

Let me have your address and I'll pop my heel guards in the post

Just spent an enjoyable hour tinkering with the bikes. Checked tyres and...yikes...Fireblade rear 11.5psi. Indian rear 15psi.

Obvs had to give them an extended test ride afters...indoors. Lucky to have a fairly big and almost empty 3rd basement garage that stays at a balmy 11-14 degrees all year round.

Was black an original colour of that Fireblade? Never seen one that paint scheme from that era.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Was black an original colour of that Fireblade? Never seen one that paint scheme from that era.
    Yeah, its a 97 RR-V

I like this database a lot.

http://www.simonreid.net/fireblade/i...versions97.htm

Long shot but does anyone have experience of Stylmartin boots generally and the Legend specifically?
    What's the fit/sizing like?

I can get a pair to try on with free delivery and returns but that's only worth bothering with if they're likely to fit my mutant feet.

Yeah, its a 97 RR-V

I like this database a lot.

http://www.simonreid.net/fireblade/i...versions97.htm

Ah-hah! That colour (dark grey) doesn't appear to figure in many years' line-up.

Cheers

Master
    Lucky to have a fairly big and almost empty 3rd basement garage that stays at a balmy 11-14 degrees all year round.

Enough room for 0-60-0 ?

Enough room for 0-60-0 ?
    Well, 0-5-0

Enough room for 0-60-0 ?
    Haha now theres a challenge. Close I reckon. Theres an opposite loop too, with a chicane around the lifts in it though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Well, 0-5-0
    For someone on here, that'd be regarded as 'going for a spin'...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Well, 0-5-0
    Well spotted ;)
    I must admit that that did not invade my consciousness today. Its totally dead 3 levels down thankfully!

R1200R Sport gone on a lorry today.

I'm sure I'll regret selling it as it was the most capable and coherent bike I've ever owned.

Not the fastest, but that didn't stop it being brilliant. Indeed not chasing top speed was one of the things that made it work well

^^ Sad day! I collected mine from storage yesterday, I've just got to fit the akro then get it booked in for its service and mot.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    ^^ Sad day! I collected mine from storage yesterday, I've just got to fit the akro then get it booked in for its service and mot.
    You not fitted that yet?

:-)

Should be a 5 minute job.

Or it is on a warm day, with a work bench and a big enough Torx bit to detach the mounting bracket...

That reminds me - still go to fit the Sound Bomb Mini!

looks like i have just bought a 2004 BMW GS..........this lockdown is costing me a fortune

Not this one is it?

Thats the one, just sorting insurance tomorrow and should be good to go.

I know Martin, I used to go to school with him. Tell him Duncan says hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Thats the one, just sorting insurance tomorrow and should be good to go.
    That's a beauty! More pics when you can please!

My gs1200 was my best winter bike ever Id say. Lovely warm shins.

Craftsman

Bought a bike today.. my old Z1 Turbo, now sadly in bits

I've wanted to buy my old Turbo Zed back for awhile, as its owned by a friend. He started to restore / modify it but hasn't been able to do much with it for a few years. Like me he has other bikes, and there's only so much time and money he can devote to his projects.

The bike was built in the mid eighties as a road legal drag bike.. I'm told by the original owner that it was one of the fastest such bikes of the time.

Fast forward twenty years, the poor Zed had been left languishing in a damp shed when I saw it, bought it and brought it home. The engine was stripped and found to have bent conrod and other serious problems.

The original plan was to restore it back to its turbocharged glory. But as ever life gets in the way and I sold it on to my friend who had other plans for the old Zed.

The turbo kit has long gone, as have the lightweight wheels, forks, frame an bodywork! But even so the engine is still something special. It has a big block from the Orient Express in the states which allows it to be take a set of big pistons, taking the engine from 1000cc up to 1400cc. Oh and it also had homemade Nitrous Oxide injection too... that was super dodgy so it wont be used.

The good news is that the bike comes with a different Z frame, that's been braced and strengthened and modified to take wider modern wheels, its even powder coated. In place of the classic Z1 bodywork, it comes with a mint set of bodywork from a late seventies Z1000 Mk2.

I'm still thinking about which way to take the Zed... build it as a road bike, turbo it, or maybe go for broke and build a 'show bike' with lots of high end parts... inspired by the Japanese custom house ''Sanctuary RCM'' Google them they are v impressive bikes. But first got to finish a couple of other bikes, before I start on this one.

The pics below were taken before I sold it ten years ago..

That Turbo Zed is awesome, so different from the crowd.

On that note I did follow the crowd and now have my 2004 GS one owner bike.

In for a service next week, some new decals and only slight corrosion on the header which is Ill be easy enough.

This is ready to tour, I have panniers, tip box, tank bag, sat nav, there really is nothing I can buy for this bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...there really is nothing I can buy for this bike.

I am sure one of us will have the opportunity to remind you of this in a few days/weeks/months (it should be days, but Covid complicates the situation)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    That Turbo Zed is awesome, so different from the crowd.

On that note I did follow the crowd and now have my 2004 GS one owner bike.

In for a service next week, some new decals and only slight corrosion on the header which is Ill be easy enough.

This is ready to tour, I have panniers, tip box, tank bag, sat nav, there really is nothing I can buy for this bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That looks in better condition than my 2019 GS!

Im getting the urge for another bike in addition to my GS. I was thinking of an Aprilia RSV1000 factory as it is the one bike I regret selling, but am now thinking the Tuono (v twin) is a better option for the road and my ageing back. Does anyone have experience of these, or other suggestions?

More bike related stuff

Ive just traded my RSV1000 (base model, gen1) for an XJR1300.

Its a great bike but it encourages fast riding, its a pain in town (but not as bad as my 916 was) so i dont ride it much.

I got a good trade in so it made sense. Also, Im not getting any more flexible!
    Last edited by Dave+63; 17th February 2021 at 09:27.