closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 166 of 361 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,300 of 18028

Thread: More bike related stuff

More bike related stuff

Had a nice ride down the coast road after work today. This is at the point the Greenwich meridian crosses into the sea on the South Coast. Kind of appropriate for a watch forum I guess.

Last edited by Plake; 12th December 2020 at 16:58.

Master
    Bit chilly today, but a lovely ride out in the fading afternoon light:

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Had a nice ride down the coast road after work today. This is at the point the Greenwich meridian crosses into the sea on the South Coast. Kind of appropriate for a watch forum I guess.
    Nice spot, nice bike

Love this bike! How are you getting on with it?

Interesting that the monument marks an earlier line (Bradley’s) than the one used today (Airy’s).

Airy’s line (the official one for timekeeping) is 5.9m east of the monument although the Bradley line is still used for maps.

Lovely bike, I’m often tempted by the FTR.

Did you take the route last the old Greenwich Observatory at Herstmonceux, the castle next door also being the place where all Milsubs were tested before being issued.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Interesting that the monument marks an earlier line (Bradley’s) than the one used today (Airy’s).

Airy’s line (the official one for timekeeping) is 5.9m east of the monument although the Bradley line is still used for maps.

Lovely bike, I’m often tempted by the FTR.

Did you take the route last the old Greenwich Observatory at Herstmonceux, the castle next door also being the place where all Milsubs were tested before being issued.
    Good Uber geek knowledge!
    I didn’t know that about the castle either.
    I live in Brighton marina so but a short hop, mainly to keep everything working. The Fireblade is my winter bike really although in reality I’m babying that one too - zero salt rule!!

Good Uber geek knowledge!
    I didn’t know that about the castle either.
    I live in Brighton marina so but a short hop, mainly to keep everything working. The Fireblade is my winter bike really although in reality I’m babying that one too - zero salt rule!!
    Not really. I live very close to the castle/observatory and new nothing about its horological history until Haywood mentioned it in passing.

Nice day here and I had to nip out and get some things for lunch. So I took the bike and a short detour. The sharp-eyed will note that the bag is bigger in the last couple of pics - it's just big enough for a loaf, butter and some ham and cheese.

Lovely.
    Would love an Indian. Amazing motors.
    This kinda ticks all my boxes.

I collected it today, the parts arrived on Saturday, I'll start tinkering this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I collected it today, the parts arrived on Saturday, I'll start tinkering this weekend

Beautiful, Duncan!!!

Master
    I bought this 2003 Triumph Sprint ST 955i a couple of month's ago after a 6yr absence from bikes and really enjoying riding it, had to add some bar risers and a comfy seat but apart from that very cheap fun.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    I bought this 2003 Triumph Sprint ST 955i a couple of month's ago after a 6yr absence from bikes and really enjoying riding it, had to add some bar risers and a comfy seat but apart from that very cheap fun.
    A mate of mine bought one as a reintroduction to riding and loved it, riding more and more.

He also found it a little lean-forward and a bit uncomfortable on his bum, but his solution was to trade in for an R1250GS...

I bought this 2003 Triumph Sprint ST 955i a couple of month's ago after a 6yr absence from bikes and really enjoying riding it...
    Nice. They look like nice roads too. What's going on with the camper van in photo 2?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Nice. They look like nice roads too. What's going on with the camper van in photo 2?
    Thanks, yes it's a nice road, it runs from Bentham to Slaidburn through the forest of Bowland, and what looks like a Camper Van is an old abandoned Caravan that's been there for years, I'm not to sure about the story behind it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    A mate of mine bought one as a reintroduction to riding and loved it, riding more and more.

He also found it a little lean-forward and a bit uncomfortable on his bum, but his solution was to trade in for an R1250GS...
    Funny you should say that, as I've been looking at the GS and RT

That's a lovely bike, Matt, but what an amazing area to live if you're on two wheels!!! Immensely envious.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That's a lovely bike, Matt, but what an amazing area to live if you're on two wheels!!! Immensely envious.
    Thanks, and yes I'm lucky to have some great roads and scenery virtually on my doorstep, under an hours ride, I love these Triumph triple motors they have great character.

Master
    The first picture is the Hawes to Ingleton road that runs through the north Yorkshire dales, probably an hour and half for me to get there, but incredible scenery and very popular biking roads.

Thanks, yes it's a nice road, it runs from Bentham to Slaidburn through the forest of Bowland...
    Then I've almost certainly driven and/or cycled it. It's been a while now - because my parents no longer live in Cumbria - but I used to divert through that part of the world to mountain bike round either Bowland or Gisburn (and have stopped at the Inn at Whitewell a couple of times too).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Lovely.
    Would love an Indian. Amazing motors.
    This kinda ticks all my boxes.

Was thinking of the Indian a while ago but was put off by the miniscule fuel tank - 12.9L

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Was thinking of the Indian a while ago but was put off by the miniscule fuel tank - 12.9L
    I think it's still 110miles to a tankful or thereabouts?
    Spanking my Tuono 1000R (ooerrr..missus..) I was lucky to see 90 at times.

Yeah I get about 120 before reserve on the bobber. Probably not thrashing it as much as I’d thrash an FTR though ;)
    Does still have a surprisingly willing higher rev range however.

Craftsman
    I may as well have an electric bike with that range!
    Lovely bike but that's a big blot on it's abilities for me.

I may as well have an electric bike with that range!
    Lovely bike but that's a big blot on it's abilities for me.
    Yes, but what are you comparing it to? It's not a tourer and it's within a gallon or so of what one would expect for a bike of that type.

Craftsman
    Yes, but what are you comparing it to? It's not a tourer and it's within a gallon or so of what one would expect for a bike of that type.
    Hmm. For me then it becomes a bauble bike. I suppose I would compare with a Monster - the new 937 only has 14L. FFS. Bikes were meant to be practical transport. My Tiger has 19L and easily does 320km even when making brisk headway. I see the break even point as 15L for larger engined bikes.

More bike related stuff

Hmm. For me then it becomes a bauble bike. I suppose I would compare with a Monster - the new 937 only has 14L. FFS. Bikes were meant to be practical transport. My Tiger has 19L and easily does 320km even when making brisk headway. I see the break even point as 15L for larger engined bikes.
    I think my last four bikes have had circa 14l tanks and none of them have been what I’d describe as baubles. You’re not comparing like with like.

Bikes are what you want them to be.

I guess my bike is a 'bauble bike' - I bought it because it looks good (to me at least) and is fun to ride. It makes me happy and that's pretty much its only function.
    I work from home or (in normal times) walk to work and have a car which is far better at transporting me, wife and 3 kids around particularly with luggage, Christmas trees etc.
    Are 'bauble bikes' bad?

edit... p.s. I would be very happy to wake up on Xmas morning to find that FTR bauble hanging in my tree.
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 16th December 2020 at 16:45.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Are 'bauble bikes' bad?
    Absolutely not, they’re my favourite kind :)

Absolutely shameless. What am I like ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Absolutely not, they’re my favourite kind :)

Absolutely shameless. What am I like ;)
    Nice. Have I created a New segment - "Bauble bike"?

Not meant to be derogatory either but "my" idea of fun and functionality has the 2 meshing more than others possibly.

Nice. Have I created a New segment - "Bauble bike"?

Not meant to be derogatory either but "my" idea of fun and functionality has the 2 meshing more than others possibly.
    Well, you kind of wrote off everything bar tourers and adventure bikes, so it was certainly unnecessarily/unreasonably scathing. Granted bikes with smaller tanks don't work for you, though.

Craftsman
    Well, you kind of wrote off everything bar tourers and adventure bikes, so it was certainly unnecessarily/unreasonably scathing. Granted bikes with smaller tanks don't work for you, though.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. My Tiger 1050 was pretty sporty but had a useful tank capacity. The CCM above while having a smaller tank are smaller engined and have inherently better consumption than the FTR to keep to my original example - it wouldn't be embarrassed I suspect on any road type up to long dual carriage way use I suspect.

My bikes are all baubles in that I don't need any of them, other than for my own enjoyment.
    However, each has it's own character and is better suited to fulfilling some functions or needs than the others.

I have to agree, though, that a 'big' bike with a small tank can induce unnecessary range anxiety...
    Last edited by Stanford; 16th December 2020 at 18:18.

I was going to put up this question in a new thread but though here would work as most of the bike owners will see it.

In regards to walking sticks and disabled badges.
    How are people using/attaching these to their motorcycles?

Cheers,
    Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't know about the Spitfire, but my CCM R30's tank size pretty well corresponds to how far I can comfortably ride it without needing a break. Quite apart from the impressively narrow seat, having a bike that does exactly what you ask it to, whether you want it to or not is exhilarating for a while, but is best enjoyed in medium sized bursts.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. My Tiger 1050 was pretty sporty but had a useful tank capacity. The CCM above while having a smaller tank are smaller engined and have inherently better consumption than the FTR to keep to my original example - it wouldn't be embarrassed I suspect on any road type up to long dual carriage way use I suspect.
    Still don't get your point, or the nature of your dismissal of these "bauble" bikes. My Thruxton R has a 1200cc engine and a 14l tank. I get 55/56 mpg in urban riding (so potentially more on a long run), so let's say that's 200 miles on a full tank.

A bauble, really? No, just not the right bike for you. That's why we also have adventure bikes, sports bikes, tourers, scramblers, cruisers, etc.

Still don't get your point, or the nature of your dismissal of these "bauble" bikes. My Thruxton R has a 1200cc engine and a 14l tank. I get 55/56 mpg in urban riding (so potentially more on a long run), so let's say that's 200 miles on a full tank.

A bauble, really? No, just not the right bike for you. That's why we also have adventure bikes, sports bikes, tourers, scramblers, cruisers, etc.
    In addition, the Tiger 1050 is most definitely an adventure bike, however sporty it may be!

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    I was going to put up this question in a new thread but though here would work as most of the bike owners will see it.

Cheers,
    Chris.

dont think ive ever seen a blue badge on a motorcycle or anyone get off one and use a walking stick , i'll be honest though i have thought about using a walking stick as a jousting lance to take out cyclists riding 2 abreast.

Is it worth getting worked up over?

Cheers,
    Chris.

When I returned to the bike after a broken leg, I used a folding walking stick which could strap easily to the bike. Can't help with the blue badge, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    In addition, the Tiger 1050 is most definitely an adventure bike, however sporty it may be!
    I definitely had adventures on my Tiger!

With tank capacity, a lot depends on fuel consumption, and if you mind stopping on not. Oh, and availability of petrol stations.

My R80 has a 22 litre tank and does about 38mpg so range is about 180 miles to dry.

The Triumph has a 12 litre tank and does about 60mpg so despite the tiddly capacity does about 150 to dry. Not a massive difference.

My RGV had a 16 litre tank (not a bauble capacity) but did a mere 18mpg which had me looking for petrol stations very 60 miles or so.

And I've managed about 300 miles in a day on my Honda Melody Mini which had a tank capacity including reserve of a mere 0.45l

The only time I've got worried was when I was planning to take the RGV to the north of Scotland, as I realised that the petrol stations were too far apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    When I returned to the bike after a broken leg, I used a folding walking stick which could strap easily to the bike. Can't help with the blue badge, though.
    Yes, a chap I used to ride with did similar with a folding stick. I don't recall what he did with his badge though

Cheers,
    Chris.

You should ask the issuing authority what they advise you to do? Also - register with them, that you intend using the facility on a motorbike, so that they have it on record in case some parking warden issues a ticket.

Different authorities might have varying thoughts on it.

I have considered the folding canes but the problem I have is they tend not to be very strong. With me being definitely on the heavier side they wouldn't last 2 minutes.

Cheers

Cheers,
    Chris.
    The few disabled riders I have met rode bikes with a side car. One was an amputee, and a couple had a dodgy leg and couldn't risk needing the leg support to stop it falling. The canes/crutches were alongside the sidecar.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The few disabled riders I have met rode bikes with a side car. One was an amputee, and a couple had a dodgy leg and couldn't risk needing the leg support to stop it falling. The canes/crutches were alongside the sidecar.
    I've owned a bike with a chair. It's no surprise to me that they ended up disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I've owned a bike with a chair. It's no surprise to me that they ended up disabled.
    The learning curve is steep but the grin is at least as wide as 2 wheels once you've discovered the user's manual

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The learning curve is steep but the grin is at least as wide as 2 wheels once you've discovered the user's manual
    Somewhere I've got a photo of me riding mine in the snow. Asymmetric one-wheel drive in the snow is fun.

One of the guys I mentioned (the amputee) was a regular at the Elefantentreffen