closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 160 of 357 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170210260 ... LastLast
Results 7,951 to 8,000 of 17843

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    FFS! I'm trying to save money! not spend more !!!!!
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Don't you need access to hot/boiling water?
    Hot water in a thermos was all we needed (and the capsules). We had about 6 coffees that day!

Master
    I have one of those Minipressos. The quality of the espresso it makes is outstanding.

Master

Helmet Job

Just got my helmet back from the painters having decided to get a Niall (everyone calls him Neil) Mackenzie themed design. Niall was/is a proud Scot and raced GP's with a thistle design on red background on his AGV’s and his name sort of split horizontally on the back (google is your friend). I followed his racing back in the day and am from the same place in Scotland, at one point his parents lived on the same road as mine.

This went in as a new white Shoei

Got a little detail on the back that needs the right light to appear

Which it does below, my other passion! (I have managed to accumulate at least one of each over the years so its not wishful thinking and will mean absolutely nothing to 99% of people anyway..)

Chuffed with the result but will probably now keep it for best.
    Last edited by Bluetinfloor; 11th November 2020 at 19:36.

Not news, but just reinforces my view that insurers are *****
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiJl...hannel=44Teeth

Master
    Blog Entries
    My bag arrived after seeing Enochs I think it was I ordered this one.
    The straps wont go under the Honda seat nor on the Honda rack both, are very angled the rack will only hold a Honda made top box.
    so I used the grab handles, its just the right size and expandable if I need.

Last edited by bwest76; 11th November 2020 at 22:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Not news, but just reinforces my view that insurers are *****
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiJl...hannel=44Teeth
    edit: the video has been removed - I should have saved a copy

Anyway, the gist was that if you are involved in an accident and have damage to your bike:

1. If the bike is still under warranty, insist it goes to an authorised dealership as if it goes elsewhere for repairs your warranty may be voided;
    2. Do not accept a 'courtesy' bike without making sure you know exactly what you are signing up for - you might end up with a very expensive hire agreement which your insurer (and 3rd party insurer) might not want to pay for;
    3. See 1 above - if your bike is taken off to storage the costs will mount up and, as in 2 above, you might struggle to get the cost back.

...and the nub of it all is that your insurer is likely to get a slice of a costs that you've run up.
    Last edited by Stanford; 12th November 2020 at 16:26.

Anyway, the gist was that if you are involved in an accident and have damage to your bike:

1. If the bike is still under warranty, insist it goes to an authorised dealership as if it goes elsewhere for repairs your warranty may be voided;
    2. Do not accept a 'courtesy' bike without making sure you know exactly what you are signing up for - you might end up with a very expensive hire agreement which your insurer (and 3rd party insurer) might not want to pay for;
    3. See 1 above - if your bike is taken off to storage the costs will mount up and, as in 2 above, you might struggle to get the cost back.

...and the nub of it all is that your insurer is likely to get a slice of a costs that you've run up.
    Interesting that it's been pulled...

I wasn't convinced that it was entirely accurate (though if he was going to court a few times a week then he *should* know) as I generally thought it was claims management companies that typically look to maximise the value of a claim as they are on commission whereas the insurance companies themselves do all they can to keep the costs down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

I wasn't convinced that it was entirely accurate (though if he was going to court a few times a week then he *should* know) as I generally thought it was claims management companies that typically look to maximise the value of a claim as they are on commission whereas the insurance companies themselves do all they can to keep the costs down.
    Nor was I - it was somewhat rambling and many of the points being made were vague and/or ambiguous. Still, being aware that there could be a potential liability if you don't claim and authorise costs through your own insurer (which is why the issues in question arose in the first place, seemingly) is no bad thing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Tigers are not for short-arses. I know, I struggled to put both feet (tip only) on the ground with a 31" inseam
    29" inseem here. Normal Seat in the lower position. I half foot on one side only. Never a problem - Venom Yellow '11 Tiger. Admittedly I had to lower my previous 1050 Tiger but the 800 is grand. Tried the low seat and hated the profile as it pushes your thighs out - perversly making attaining terra firma harder.

Nor was I - it was somewhat rambling and many of the points being made were vague and/or ambiguous. Still, being aware that there could be a potential liability if you don't claim and authorise costs through your own insurer (which is why the issues in question arose in the first place, seemingly) is no bad thing.
    Perhaps they are editing it down to a 15 second video that says if you have an accident...

1. ensure you do not commit to any costs that your insurance company hasn't explicitly told you are covered, as you may end up paying them
    2. ensure that any repairs will put you back in the same position you were in before the accident (i.e. genuine parts and still have warranty)

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    29" inseem here. Normal Seat in the lower position. I half foot on one side only. Never a problem - Venom Yellow '11 Tiger. Admittedly I had to lower my previous 1050 Tiger but the 800 is grand. Tried the low seat and hated the profile as it pushes your thighs out - perversly making attaining terra firma harder.
    My experience is older than that, around 95-96, with a 900.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

I think the "dirty little secret" element of the video is that your own insurer may well approve or do things that are not in your best interest (including the voiding of your manufacturers warranty by going through an independent repairer as their costs are lower than dealerships), because they can make some money on the back on the claim!
    Last edited by Stanford; 12th November 2020 at 17:16.

Master
    My experience is older than that, around 95-96, with a 900.
    Here’s a pic of my 94 Tiger 900. Bought it new and then fitted Daytona cams (110 Bhp) Daytona front and rear wheels and a home made exhaust. It was my version of a super motard. It really was a great bike.

L171 XCC where are you now??

I think the "dirty little secret" element of the video is that your own insurer may well approve or do things that are not in your best interest (including the voiding of your manufacturers warranty), because they can make some money on the back on the claim!
    That might have been the suggestion at the outset, but it wasn't what I took from the video. The "victim" in question didn't claim through his own insurer, and used a non-franchised agent who fitted an aftermarket wheel. There were some other issues regarding storage and hire charges but, again, I don't believe any sums were authorised by his own insurer so I don't see how they could have been taking a cut.

To be honest, it came across as somewhat garbled nonsense, which is presumably why it was pulled. Perhaps it'll be clarified in a future vlog, though.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th November 2020 at 17:36.

That might have been the suggestion at the outset, but it wasn't what I took from the video. The "victim" in question didn't claim through his own insurer, and used a non-franchised agent who fitted an aftermarket wheel. There were some other issues regarding storage and hire charges but, again, I don't believe any sums were authorised by his own insurer so I don't see how they could have been taking a cut.

To be honest, it came across as somewhat garbled nonsense, which is presumably why it was pulled. Perhaps it was be clarified in a future vlog, though.
    Agreed, not the best video but there's plenty of stuff online about the risks associated with insurers and hire vehicles - not a new problem, but one which many insured are not aware of.
    In the case used as an example in the video I believe the claimant (the innocent party) did go through their insurer who, through a claims management company, did the dirty in respect of unapproved dealership repairs and also storage and bike hire...hence the third party insurer was refusing to pay and was prepared to go to court.

edit - for example, a quick look
    Last edited by Stanford; 12th November 2020 at 17:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Here’s a pic of my 94 Tiger 900. Bought it new and then fitted Daytona cams (110 Bhp) Daytona front and rear wheels and a home made exhaust. It was my version of a super motard. It really was a great bike.

Nice. The one I tried was blue as well. I also tried the Daytona at the time, and a Sprint. The Daytona was the most impressive, the Sprint probably the best all rounder but I thought they were rather top-heavy (I had just gone from a BMW 100GS to a VFR 750 that I had on loan from an expat friend. I finally got myself a Honda Dominator, because Mrs SJ was afraid of the VFR.

Agreed, not the best video but there's plenty of stuff online about the risks associated with insurers and hire vehicles - not a new problem, but one which many insured are not aware of.
    In the case used as an example in the video I believe the claimant (the innocent party) did go through their insurer who, through a claims management company, did the dirty in respect of unapproved dealership repairs and also storage and bike hire...hence the third party insurer was refusing to pay and was prepared to go to court.

edit - for example, a quick look
    Oh, perhaps I misunderstood, then. Anyway, your link serves as a warning!

A mate of mine had one of the very few of those that Triumph painted Nuclear Red.

Or pink as everyone else called it

Craftsman

That's a beauty.

In a shed somewhere as mot expired July 2009!!

Some nice shots of a Black Bay Bronze in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5gnC-i87-4&ab

Oh, perhaps I misunderstood, then. Anyway, your link serves as a warning!
    Let's hope there is a follow-up that makes the "dirty little secret" less opaque :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had to beg one insurance company assessor to fix my bike which was lightly modified for my problems,but nothing difficult.

This after sliding down the road on wet leaves and breaking my ribs,they wouldn't pursue the council so it was deemed my fault.

Just damn lazy and wanted to right it off as it was easier for them.

The garage threw bits away after I asked them not to until the bike was finished.

like Pazzo levers one scratched at the end,MFW footpegs one scratched at the end both straight and I could have touched up with emery paper and safe to use.

At the most they only needed to buy the clutch lever for example the brake lever was perfect.

They fitted poor quality,cheap and dangerous Chinese ebay components instead.

They incorrectly fitted replacement R and G frame protectors leaving some bolts out and even left an engine mounting bracket off,then said it wasnt there in the first place,it was.

Paint bubbled,the tank badge name was in different places either side the list goes on.

In the end the insurance company refused to fix it properly then wrote it off financially.

Lucky for me I was allowed to buy it back and friends helped me get it back on the road,anyone without a clue would have been stuffed.

It was poor service all the way along the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    did I mention it was the assessors approved garage which he told me he had been working with for years.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I had to beg one insurance company assessor to fix my bike which was lightly modified for my problems,but nothing difficult.

This after sliding down the road on wet leaves and breaking my ribs,they wouldn't pursue the council so it was deemed my fault.

The garage threw bits away after I asked them not to until the bike was finished.

like Pazzo levers one scratched at the end,MFW footpegs one scratched at the end both straight and I could have touched up with emery paper and safe to use.

At the most they only needed to buy the clutch lever for example the brake lever was perfect.

They incorrectly fitted replacement R and G frame protectors leaving some bolts out and even left an engine mounting bracket off,then said it wasnt there in the first place,it was.

Paint bubbled,the tank badge name was in different places either side the list goes on.

In the end the insurance company refused to fix it properly then wrote it off financially.

Lucky for me I was allowed to buy it back and friends helped me get it back on the road,anyone without a clue would have been stuffed.

Doubt councils could keep up with leaf fall in windy weather this time of year.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Doubt councils could keep up with leaf fall in windy weather this time of year.

not this year and they all make excuses,how come in France you rarely see any rubbish on the roads its much cleaner.

I had a similar problem once when it rained and the road got wet. Local authority took no responsibility whatsoever forr making it dry so I could corner harder. It rained in France too but my commune Marie laughed when I complained.

Tongue in cheek ...

Heres a gratuitous motorcycle pic of a couple of mine......

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

More bike related stuff

It doesn’t sound dissimilar to the only time I had a dealership work on a bike I’d had an accident on. It was just under a year old.

The same bike had been damaged at its first service too.

That was back in 1990/1 and are the only two times that I’ve ever let someone else work on any of my bikes.

Blog Entries

How could they possibly 'pursue the council' over wet leaves being on the road?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman

Wow! That’s outrageous.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    How could they possibly 'pursue the council' over wet leaves being on the road?
    That's what you took from the story not the appalling repair work?

it was more than that but as I was in A and E I couldn't get back to examine the road surface,but never mind.

All the roads in that area where upswept with gravel and very degraded surface,I was taking it easy.

You said you said on wet leaves. Nothing about dodgy roads. I hate the insurance system with a vengeance but in this instance I imagine they were wetting themselves in the office. If you weren't satisfied with the work you should have got it independently verified. You don't have to use their garage.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    You said you said on wet leaves. Nothing about dodgy roads. I hate the insurance system with a vengeance but in this instance I imagine they were wetting themselves in the office. If you weren't satisfied with the work you should have got it independently verified. You don't have to use their garage.

why are you having a go at me?

did you expect a detailed report explaining every action I took,would you like to know how they treated me in the hospital as well (also appalling).

The point was the appalling repair procedure.

my bike slid down the road as did I,I could move and could not go back to examine the road,it was not rider error nor was it mechanical failure.

the bike was in Gloucester I couldn't see it from the hospital window,talk about having a go for no reason.

We are responsible for the maintenance of many streets in Swindon.

The work we carry out includes:

street cleaning
    removing dead leaves
    emptying litter and cigarette butt bins
    litter collection
    removing broken glass
    removing debris from the roads

Blog Entries
    That's what you took from the story not the appalling repair work?

it was more than that but as I was in A and E I couldn't get back to examine the road surface,but never mind.

All the roads in that area where upswept with gravel and very degraded surface,I was taking it easy.
    The apalling repair work has no excuse and I would have pursued the garage in question to put it right immediately tbh.

I've been riding bikes for 44 years and I've probably seen most kinds of bad surface, the only off due to surface being a slide on diesel which was impossible to see. I got off very lightly with it, as I was riding at a sensible speed at the time as it had just rained after a dry spell as well.

Wet leaves on the road are a hazard which we have to look for and be aware of.

Anyway I'll leave it at that as I wasn't looking to argue with you about it, just didn't see the possibility of pursuing the council.

So on a lighter note a picture of a Rickman Metisse, for no other reason than it looks lovely!

Master
    So on a lighter note a picture of a Rickman Metisse, for no other reason than it looks lovely!

I know a chap that has one on order..😎

That is stunning

Blog Entries
    I know a chap that has one on order..
    Now if I didn't know better I'd think............hmmmm.............

That is stunning
    Yes it is, and I'm looking into the availability of donors but anything with Triumph on it has a certain premium!

... and the rest is unlikely to be cheap, too.

Blog Entries
    ... and the rest is unlikely to be cheap, too.

http://www.rickman-motorcycles.com/parts-and-prices.php

Nice. Plus the engine, plus Enoch's time

That is stunning
    Loving that AirStream...

Blog Entries
    Nice. Plus the engine, plus Enoch's time
    Ha ha ha, couldn't afford that many breakfasts! Anyway the building is half of the fun I reckon.

Ha ha ha, couldn't afford that many breakfasts! Anyway the building is half of the fun I reckon.
    I see a possible plan which would allow us to share the fun

Master

Happy 8000 post

Well technically 8002 , but not bad for a “ watch forum” with Tony starting it in Aug 18.

What a great thread, very little bickering, lots of great advice, and no one selling anything above RRP

Steve

Blog Entries
    I see a possible plan which would allow us to share the fun
    Ha ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Well technically 8002 , but not bad for a “ watch forum” with Tony starting it in Aug 18.

What a great thread, very little bickering, lots of great advice, and no one selling anything above RRP

Steve
    Blimey. If I only knew then what I know now - Kerry recommended the Thruxton R in the second post!!! That aside it's been (and continues to be) a great thread, made so by the wonderful biking community on TZ. Keep it up, everyone

Out and about today, and parked up briefly in Golders Green next to, errrr... this. Someone will have got a nice surprise.

I've been riding bikes for 44 years and I've probably seen most kinds of bad surface, the only off due to surface being a slide on diesel which was impossible to see. I got off very lightly with it, as I was riding at a sensible speed at the time as it had just rained after a dry spell as well.

Wet leaves on the road are a hazard which we have to look for and be aware of.
    Been riding 10 yeras less and I have come off on diesel a couple of times and once on a mossy drive (front end dropped instantly), same bike and a front end near miss (held it up using my leg and a car) on pine needles so some bikes can be more liable to this than others. Have also come off on spilt talent a couple of times too...

Out and about today, and parked up briefly in Golders Green next to, errrr... this. Someone will have got a nice surprise.

Lucky they didn't pick the wrong bike by mistake eh Tony! I'm all for custom work but that's a bit messy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbHQMD0auzk

I've just downloaded it.