closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 157 of 358 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167207257 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,850 of 17885

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Innuendo or not he won't, as even the 2 wheels variety tend to leak...
    Genius

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I think dad was right.
    Dad sounds like a wise man and I’d have to agree with him

Back in the day it was flat out everywhere on my ZZR, GSXr etc. But now with the cruiser vibe going on, I find I’m enjoying my riding so much more.

On occasion I may ride with the fast guys (and gals) and if I’m on my Ducati, I think should I make an effort And try to go with them?
    I soon remember that riding like that just isn’t my thing anymore, and so settle into my own comfortable zone. I’ll usually arrive at our destination within a minute or so of the fast folk, and listen to their tales of near misses and close calls.

Chilled out riding is so much more pleasurable, and you can do it all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Chilled out riding is so much more pleasurable, and you can do it all day long.
    ...And as long as I avoid motorways and the like, the little Triumph is all the bike I actually need.

I should stop looking through Autotrader though as I happen across beauties like this.

I know it's not a current Milwaukee 8 bike, but with the 110cu in SE motor this is a brute of a bike and I've always loved this colour scheme. Reminds me of M*A*S*H

I would absolutely rock a PanHead. It's the only Harley that really does it for me.
    Bulletproof side valve technology...simplicity..can't whack it.
    I can totally visualise myself riding that...with a shotgun in the holster....wcpgw?

Master
    ...And as long as I avoid motorways and the like, the little Triumph is all the bike I actually need.

I should stop looking through Autotrader though as I happen across beauties like this.

I know it's not a current Milwaukee 8 bike, but with the 110cu in SE motor this is a brute of a bike and I've always loved this colour scheme. Reminds me of M*A*S*H
    Cooler than a polar bears arse! Looks great and you can guarantee at any bike meet full of 1250gs and kTM’s it would stand apart.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Had a day of trail riding on a Honda CRF250. It was very wet and so conditions were quite challenging.....
    Ditto - headed out for my first off road session with a friendly Cumbria TRF group yesterday. Most definitely not making any allowances for me as a total beginner, but towards the end of the day I felt a bit more comfortable. Bedrock steep uphills in the first 10 mins of the day came as "what the %*&$ am I doing here" moment. All in all great day though and loads of advice and encouragement offered, will stick at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    Ditto - headed out for my first off road session with a friendly Cumbria TRF group yesterday. Most definitely not making any allowances for me as a total beginner, but towards the end of the day I felt a bit more comfortable. Bedrock steep uphills in the first 10 mins of the day came as "what the %*&$ am I doing here" moment. All in all great day though and loads of advice and encouragement offered, will stick at it.
    I'm still aching after two days; mainly thighs as I'm not used to spending so much time standing on the pegs...my excuse is that I haven't been to the gym in over 6 months (and I'm older and not any lighter than when I did last go )

Master
    Blog Entries

Its ersatz,your old Beemer is twice as cool.

Why do I keep looking at Harley baggers?

I love my Triumph. I have no intention of parting with my Triumph. So why did I find myself in the local dealership yesterday sitting on a Road King?
    My solution to that conundrum:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

^^^ Beautiful, R. Oh, for a nice large garage.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Logically I know that works, but for whatever reason, they don't quite work for me on an emotional level.

God, shoot me now for writing that.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ^^^ Beautiful, R. Oh, for a nice large garage.
    I have 2 garages; one normal one car garage, and one hoofing great 4 car garage.

I still run out of space for bikes.

Or more accurately, I don't get to use the ones at the back as getting them out is too much hassle.

I have 2 garages; one normal one car garage, and one hoofing great 4 car garage.

I still run out of space for bikes.

Or more accurately, I don't get to use the ones at the back as getting them out is too much hassle.
    Presumably the large one is some kind of outbuilding?

Presumably the large one is some kind of outbuilding?
    Well, it's not in the house, but it's a brick built monster attached to the house.

Despite being built for 4 vehicles, it's only 2 cars wide so there's always something at the back. With the faulty mower collection

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    thats one hell of a garage you are parked in front of :)

Logically I know that works, but for whatever reason, they don't quite work for me on an emotional level.

God, shoot me now for writing that.
    No shooting from me. My decision to go with the LT was decided on the build quality (head) and the looks (heart), but as we know there's a lot of factors to be juggled with in choosing a bike - and I've never had one bike that ticked all the boxes.

Another gratuitous pic.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

It would be lovely to wake up one day open the blinds, and for it not to be raining! I don’t mind riding in the wet, but not cleaning the bike after....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post

I would absolutely rock a PanHead. It's the only Harley that really does it for me.
    Bulletproof side valve technology...simplicity..can't whack it.
    I can totally visualise myself riding that...with a shotgun in the holster....wcpgw?
    It’s not a panhead. Panheads are ohv. That’s a flathead looks like a 45.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    It has needed me to get to the age my father was when he passed on the advice for me to realise he was right.

Fast bikes aren't particularly enjoyable when ridden at sensible (legal) speeds, however when you are young you know that fast is good. Of course, as you're not enjoying the bike as much as you expected, that must be because it's not fast enough.

So you get a faster one.

And while that feels great when you twist the throttle and giggle a bit, it likely feels less satisfying at sensible speeds.

So you get a faster one... and so it continues

Manufacturers have to keep increasing power to satisfy buyer demand. To achieve this they build increasingly oversquare engines; big pistons with a short stroke so they can rev higher and give big peak figures as that's what sells. To get the benefit from the power and get good drag strip figures the bikes have to be lighter and the rider needs to get in an aerodynamic tuck.

The alternate is to go for an engine that's nearer to square or even undersquare. Much lower revving, much lower peak power figures but great big dollops at low and mid range. These engines allow you to have a bike that's a bit heavier, much more comfortable and doesn't rely on a wind-cheating riding position as they are not chasing top speed trophies.

Often when riders try a cruiser with a square or undersquare engine, they make the mistake of trying to ride them like the sportsbikes they are used to and moan like hell that they are slow, heavy and, when ridden fast, handle poorly. There's usually a comment about how come a nearly 2-litre engine can only produce 90bhp, ignoring that that engine is producing between 125Nm and 135Nm of torque all the way from tick over to the redline.

But no, chill out, don't hurry and get where you are going relaxed and comfortable.

Cruising on a cruiser is a great experience as is hooning on a sports bike, but only one of those things can be done safely, legally and with a fighting chance of keeping your licence.

I think dad was right.
    I think so as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    It’s not a panhead. Panheads are ohv. That’s a flathead looks like a 45.
    Oops!...yep...my mistake!
    You're absolutely correct....brain cell misfunction here!
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Oops!...yep...my mistake!
    You're absolutely correct....brain cell misfunction here!
    Thanks.
    Easy done!

Anyone interested in older Harleys 'Hunting Harleys' on You tube can be worth a look. Todd's a bit of an odd one sometimes but his knowledge is amazing and the bikes are great.

https://www.youtube.com/user/HuntingHarleys/videos

Master

Lightbulb Boots

Last year I bought a pair of Gortex TCX Explorer boots. Just over 1 year later the zip on one of the boots has failed. To be honest it never felt quite right from day 1, but because I rarely wore them, I just sort of put up with it, until yesterday that is.

So today I decided to go for a step up in quality and get something much better.

Due to my knackered joints I really need something easy to get on and off, waterproof, and comfy when walking around.

Enter the Daytona GTX. Full leather with Gortex liner, a zip on either side, and a Velcro expandable back piece that can be undone for even easier access..

Why I didn’t buy these the first time around is a mystery to me. I was probably put off by the price, but now I’m kicking myself that I didn’t even try them on. Oh well lesson learnt.

Master
    ^^^ I think Daytona's will be my next boots, although I just got my Forma Adventure Low replaced by SBS, as they started to leak. They were almost a year old, so just in warranty.

Enjoyed my last ride out before lockdown today (apart from blood bike duty tomorrow). It was cold, and eventually very wet but still...

Master
    Blog Entries
    problem with gortex once its wet inside it takes longer to dry out thats why I never get liners.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Enjoyed my last ride out before lockdown today ...
    Mine really needs a clean and something slapped on the chain (particularly if it's then going to be sat in the garage for 4 weeks (minimum)). I think I'm going to have to sneak off work for an hour or so tomorrow and show it some love before I lock it up for a month.

Enter the Daytona GTX. Full leather with Gortex liner, a zip on either side, and a Velcro expandable back piece that can be undone for even easier access..
    I have a pair of Daytona Strive - super boots, robust but comfortable and dry.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My VFR1200FD is growing on me,even though I have only done 100 miles over 2 days in between tweaking it a little,even the style/shape is growing on me.

That engine is a licence loser, it accelerates like a scolded cat I found myself looking for dual carriageway just to feel that V4 rumble at speed as I effortlessly overtake.

It is solid and planted,though I have yet to test the handling on corners as its to wet and slippy.

Not for me , thanks.
    Has a whiff of CZ/MZ about it? I think it's the shape of the tank.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Not for me , thanks.
    Has a whiff of CZ/MZ about it? I think it's the shape of the tank.
    I think at its price point it’ll be a winner and sell like hot cakes..

i also think it will sell well as a midrange naked , put one of the 1050 engines in and you have an agusta brutale :)

Going to be a lovely day today, so I'm going to take a ride out to Ivinghoe Beacon.

I think at its price point it’ll be a winner and sell like hot cakes..
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    i also think it will sell well as a midrange naked , put one of the 1050 engines in and you have an agusta brutale :)
    Oh, I'm sure it will sell well. They know what they're doing. I was keeping half an eye on this one and the finished product to me is a bit disappointing. There's something a bit 'blobby' about it (technical term!). I do of course reserve the right to change my mind when I see one 'in the metal'.

Last year I bought a pair of Gortex TCX Explorer boots. Just over 1 year later the zip on one of the boots has failed. To be honest it never felt quite right from day 1, but because I rarely wore them, I just sort of put up with it, until yesterday that is.

So today I decided to go for a step up in quality and get something much better.

Due to my knackered joints I really need something easy to get on and off, waterproof, and comfy when walking around.

Why I didn’t buy these the first time around is a mystery to me. I was probably put off by the price, but now I’m kicking myself that I didn’t even try them on. Oh well lesson learnt.
    Great boots - I went for these last year and the comfort is fantastic. Expensive but real quality.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Working out where to place my Tomtom on my VFR so I set it to pots and pans and then to a little known road out of Malaga to Granada.
    Why,just because I wanted to dream I should have been there in September.

When I did that road out of Malaga the rain was washing across the road like a biblical flood it was quite scary.
    The village I stopped at further on for a cafe con lecha was like something out of Southern Comfort.
    Beat up old cars where speeding around,crusty looking locals with guns and ragged beards where watching me then some sort of ranger turned up on a quad bike with a pistol strapped to his side and a pump action shotgun on a gun rack.
    The cafe/pub I went in dripping water was full of locals boozing and eating tapas that looked inedible to me,It was a great memory.
    Travelling alone allows you to get closer to whats going on and meet people.

Last edited by bwest76; 4th November 2020 at 10:37.

Oh, I'm sure it will sell well. They know what they're doing. I was keeping half an eye on this one and the finished product to me is a bit disappointing. There's something a bit 'blobby' about it (technical term!). I do of course reserve the right to change my mind when I see one 'in the metal'.
    Hint of Suzuki Gladius to it?

As I've mentioned in other places, I'm yet to be convinced that it's anything other than a light reworking of the Street Triple S with less expensive materials etc (steel chassis & swing arm rather than aluminium, simpler clocks and bodywork) allowing them to shave £850 off the list price.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you are ever in that area I highly recommend it.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/europ...99-a-7000.html

Master
    Blog Entries
    Going to be a lovely day today, so I'm going to take a ride out to Ivinghoe Beacon.

Tony in normal times on a summer Sunday Ellesborough church down the road is my favourite tea stop in the world.
    The sign says tea and tower,in the church you get a first rate cup of tea and a slice of home made cake from the locals.
    You can climb the tower which has terrific views I did it once and was petrified I dont like heights.
    coming back down you can sit outside on a bench and just enjoy being in a peaceful tranquil part of England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellesborough

another stop is a farm shop/tea room near Chequers which leads to some nice roads.

Master
    Last day before lockdown.... I’m off for fish n chips in Matlock Bath..👍

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Tony in normal times on a summer Sunday Ellesborough church down the road is my favourite tea stop in the world.
    The sign says tea and tower,in the church you get a first rate cup of tea and a slice of home made cake from the locals.
    You can climb the tower which has terrific views I did it once and was petrified I dont like heights.
    coming back down you can sit outside on a bench and just enjoy being in a peaceful tranquil part of England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellesborough

another stop is a farm shop/tea room near Chequers which leads to some nice roads.
    Thank you, and both venues noted!

I have had a relatively cheap pair of Daytonas (Racer) bought over 10yrs ago, and have been my general use boots, and done over 30,000 miles on annual holidays. I didn’t see the point in getting a pair of (now) expensive Daytonas again - so bought a pair of Alpinestars Goretex, similar to my Racers.

Might not get 10yrs out of them, but you don’t get a poor product that Goretex put their membrane in.

(Might get a resole done on the Daytonas- Timpsons here I come)

Wore out the soles testing tarmac for ‘gravilons’ on holidays.

Last day before lockdown.... I’m off for fish n chips in Matlock Bath..
    afaik you can still go out on your bike - just no fish and chips

my local rag states
    ''People can also leave for recreational purposes with their own household or on their own with one person from another household (a “one plus one” rule). Examples of recreation include meeting up with a friend in the park for a walk or to sit on a bench and eat a sandwich. People will not be allowed to meet in homes and gardens, and golf clubs will remain shut. ''

... so pack a sarnie :)

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    afaik you can still go out on your bike - just no fish and chips

my local rag states
    ''People can also leave for recreational purposes with their own household or on their own with one person from another household (a “one plus one” rule). Examples of recreation include meeting up with a friend in the park for a walk or to sit on a bench and eat a sandwich. People will not be allowed to meet in homes and gardens, and golf clubs will remain shut. ''

... so pack a sarnie :)
    I thought that take away was still fine?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Help! What's this plug?

I just had cause to lift the seat on my Thruxton, and noticed this plug sitting there and seemingly doing nothing. I also noticed the little bracket which I've highlighted in the photo, so pushed the plug onto it as it seemed to belong there.

Can someone tell me what the plug is, and if i was right to fit it onto the bracket? I may actually have dislodged it as I was messing about with the USB socket at the time, but I really have no idea if I did or not.

Edit: Now ascertained that it's the plug for diagnostics, and it does indeed live on the bracket until needed.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 4th November 2020 at 16:24.

Diagnostics port for dealer to use

Isn't that the OBD (diagnostic) plug?
    That thingy that you've pushed it onto might be its tidy place.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Diagnostics port for dealer to use
    Isn't that the OBD (diagnostic) plug?
    That thingy that you've pushed it onto might be its tidy place.
    It is, and it is

I've seen better welds...

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I've seen better welds...
    You're not wrong.

Just so that you understand that I was not turning my nose up at your bike, I found this posted elsewhere that aligns with my experience using those tools to a "t"

TOOLS EXPLAINED
    DRILL PRESS : A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.
    WIRE WHEEL : Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh*t'
    DROP SAW : A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.
    PLIERS : Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.
    BELT SANDER : An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.
    HACKSAW : One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.
    VISE-GRIPS : Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.
    OXYACETYLENE TORCH : Used almost entirely for lighting on fire various flammable objects in your shop. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race..
    TABLE SAW : A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.
    HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK : Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes, trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.
    BAND SAW : A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.
    TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST : A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.
    PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER : Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.
    STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER : A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.
    PRY BAR : A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.
    HOSE CUTTER : A tool used to make hoses too short.
    HAMMER : Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.
    UTILITY KNIFE : Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.
    ADJUSTABLE WRENCH: aka "Another hammer", aka "the Swedish Nut Lathe", aka "Crescent Wrench". Commonly used as a one size fits all wrench, usually results in rounding off nut heads before the use of pliers. Will randomly adjust size between bolts, resulting in busted buckles, curse words, and multiple threats to any inanimate objects within the immediate vicinity.
    Son of a bitch TOOL : Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a b*tch' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 4th November 2020 at 17:36.