closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 15 of 354 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

If you have the option of engine bars for your bike then consider them too. I went for the latter on advice from the guy at Triumph, and I've read some stuff online regarding frame sliders that suggests that they can increase risk/damage in some situations (e.g. catching on tarmac and causing a flip, creating a single stress point on the frame, etc).

Notwithstanding the above, I'm sure someone with real experience will be along soon

PS Just to add, remember that you can often get engine case covers too.
    I would say that is sensible advice - whilst the dynamics of a crash are complex I feel the protection in the event of a minor tumble which is far more likely outweighs the additional risk if any in a high speed incident.

And just to remind how easy it is to get caught out I nearly fell off the other day as lost the front wheel on pine needles - very low speed was able to hold the bike up with my leg and some help from a car I was alongside at the time so no damage done but for a few seconds I thought I was going to be picking the bike up.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I would say that is sensible advice - whilst the dynamics of a crash are complex I feel the protection in the event of a minor tumble which is far more likely outweighs the additional risk if any in a high speed incident.

And just to remind how easy it is to get caught out I nearly fell off the other day as lost the front wheel on pine needles - very low speed was able to hold the bike up with my leg and some help from a car I was alongside at the time so no damage done but for a few seconds I thought I was going to be picking the bike up.

You need proper frame protectors like R and G,with my accident last year the handlebar end,renntec rack and protectors bore the brunt as I slid down the road.

That is I slid down the road with my face protected by my full face helmet,which most likely saved my life or at least facial reconstruction [you can keep your open face lid how ever on trend].
    Furygan jacket, dragging jeans,Belstaff gloves [originals] and Altberg boots also saved me a lot of injuries though the force of hitting the road broke my ribs.

The protectors worked as the should gradually wearing down letting the bike slide and protecting the engine cases,they weren’t event scratched.

The insurance inspector told me the cheap protectors tend to bend the frame and are worse than useless.

https://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/

i have a set of the front end engine sliders on mine (R&G ) , easy to fit as they use the engine mounting bolts .

Last edited by pugster; 30th September 2018 at 18:33.

Crash bars and sliders are OK for the odd topple. But they can sometimes be responsible for more damage than they actually prevent. Add a bit of forward motion to the dynamic, and almost anything can happen. Damaged frames, & cracked engine cases usually. Fork bottom/swingarm bobbins tend cause much less damage as suspension travel will usually soak up a bit of impact energy.

Master
    Wandered into my local bike shop today for a browse and some breakfast and wandered out again having bought this.

Will take better photos once i have it home and i only took a full bike shot of the white one for some reason, but anyway gives you an idea of what it looks like.

Very nice.
    I'd have bought a new Tuono 1100v4 in a heartbeat.
    But didn't because Piaggio
    Dealer support is everything.

Hmmm... apparently Enfield has the lowest Mod 2 pass rate in the country. That's reassuring

Okay, I know I hadn't given it a full test, but the ultimate choice was always going to boil down to the Street Twin or the T100. They both have exactly the same (900cc) engine, and the reality is that the Street Twin could have been built for me, whereas the T100 felt large when I was on it. I've also ruled out many of the non-Triumph potential alternatives, by handling or riding them; from my shortlist, I now think that the R9T (though a thing of beauty) is too big/powerful, and I just prefer the look and fit & finish of the Triumphs over the Ducati Scramblers

After some deliberation, pushing, pulling, walking and manoeuvring both bikes, firing up of the engines and drooling, thinking some more and negotiating a decentish deal, this is now on order:

Street Twin (jet black), customised with:

Fully adjustable Fox RSU
    Heated grips
    Dresser bars
    Tinted flyscreen
    Luggage rack & grab bar
    Centre stand
    Chain guard
    Engine protector kit
    Knee pads
    Tank pad
    CNC front reservoir

The Twin is effectively sold as a blank canvas, the intention being that you then make your mark on it. I'm 100% happy with my choice of both bike and extras and I don't think there's another bike on the market that's physically a better fit or more perfectly in keeping with what I want. I couldn't be more excited, and now it can be built and delivered whilst I wait for my Mod 2.

This is just the stock bike - so beautiful

Jealous

Very Jealous

EnJoY

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I went for a quick spin to Barmouth yesterday with a mate, also on a S1000RR. Deffo appreciated them heated grips !!. It was noticeably quieter in both Bala, and Barmouth than a month or so back, with way less bikes out. All in all though, nice ride out, but thinking I may chop the Beemer in for a more upright riding position, who knows.

Stuart

Hmmm... apparently Enfield has the lowest Mod 2 pass rate in the country. That's reassuring
    Just look at it that other Enfield candidates have been rubbish to date so they're bound to be impressed with your innate biking skills :)

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Just look at it that other Enfield candidates have been rubbish to date so they're bound to be impressed with your innate biking skills :)
    Haha - it really does, though. 53%.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Jealous

Very Jealous

EnJoY
    Thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    I went for a quick spin to Barmouth yesterday with a mate, also on a S1000RR. Deffo appreciated them heated grips !!. It was noticeably quieter in both Bala, and Barmouth than a month or so back, with way less bikes out. All in all though, nice ride out, but thinking I may chop the Beemer in for a more upright riding position, who knows.

Stuart
    just go for the 1000r naked, its a cracking bike with an upright seating position - i test rode one before i bought the trumpet and it was a toss up between the 2.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    just go for the 1000r naked, its a cracking bike with an upright seating position - i test rode one before i bought the trumpet and it was a toss up between the 2.
    I have looked at those a couple of weeks back in Williams BMW tbh, if I do change it will probably not be one of them though. Lovely bike, don't get me wrong, but way to similar to what I've got. Liking a Tuono Factory or the new Street Triple RS more I think.

Stuart

Here’s a nice little trip down memory lane for those of us who were growing up in the 70’s!

Last edited by learningtofly; 1st October 2018 at 17:02.

Master
    I’ve seen that video before, very enjoyable. Also sat on 3 Z1 replacements at the weekend (z900RS) all custom painted in original Kawasaki colours and NOS stickers. Gorgeous looking bikes.

Oh dear - I have my Mod 2 on Thursday morning, and for the last few days I've been suffering with what feels like some kind of trapped nerved in my back. Sod's law being what it is, the discomfort is worst when my arms are in the riding position.

I have an appointment with an osteopath in the morning, but it's looking like I may have a problem, particularly as I'm hoping to collect my (customisation-complete) bike on Friday. If the treatment doesn't help me sufficiently I'm going to have to rely on painkillers and hope that I can still concentrate sufficiently on what's going on around me.

Not good.

Master
    Good luck with the test Tony.....

After 21 years without a bike I bought this on Saturday...

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

Thanks, and very nice! The Bobber seems to be universally acclaimed, and it certainly looks the business.

How did it feel, getting on a bike again after so long? For me (30+ years) it was like no time had passed.

Master
    Thanks, and very nice! The Bobber seems to be universally acclaimed, and it certainly looks the business.

How did it feel, getting on a bike again after so long? For me (30+ years) it was like no time had passed.
    Not to bad... although I haven’t owned a bike for 21 years, I have occasionally ridden a few bikes belonging to friends...
    But I’m gonna take it easy.

My big issue is that I need feet forward as I can only bend my legs a few degrees... I hate Harley’s, so that’s why I haven’t bothered..

I’ve ordered the Bobber with thr triumph option of forward controls...and I’ll see how I go. If it doesn’t suit I’ll get shut, but at least I gave it another try...

Indian could be an option... Or try a California (Guzzi)?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Oh dear - I have my Mod 2 on Thursday morning, and for the last few days I've been suffering with what feels like some kind of trapped nerved in my back. Sod's law being what it is, the discomfort is worst when my arms are in the riding position.

I have an appointment with an osteopath in the morning, but it's looking like I may have a problem, particularly as I'm hoping to collect my (customisation-complete) bike on Friday. If the treatment doesn't help me sufficiently I'm going to have to rely on painkillers and hope that I can still concentrate sufficiently on what's going on around me.

Not good.
    get some naproxen off your GP , wont 'mong' you out like strong painkillers (its like a stronger version of ibuprofen (NSAID) ) - great stuff .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Indian could be an option... Or try a California (Guzzi)?
    Rather buy British...🇬🇧🇬🇧.. last bike was a Tiger 900 bought new in 94 sold in 98..👍

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    get some naproxen off your GP , wont 'mong' you out like strong painkillers (its like a stronger version of ibuprofen (NSAID) ) - great stuff .
    Thanks - I’ll ask the osteopath about it in the morning. We do also have some co-codemol in the bathroom cabinet. They don’t seem to make me drowsy at all.

Master
    Rather buy British..... last bike was a Tiger 900 bought new in 94 sold in 98..
    Ahem

Best of luck with the test. Hope your back is OK by then.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Best of luck with the test. Hope your back is OK by then.
    Thanks mate :)

Rather buy British...🇬🇧.. last bike was a Tiger 900 bought new in 94 sold in 98..
    Says the man who drives a (gorgeous) Mustang
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Says the man who drives a (gorgeous) Mustang
    I was a serial TVR owner, and tried an Aston Martin for a while..🇬🇧🇬🇧🤪

I was a serial TVR owner, and tried an Aston Martin for a while..
    Another ex TVR owner here. I had a 4.0 Tamora

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Lovely bike and not hard to see why it’s Triumph’s best selling model in the UK. Ride it quick before the winder delivers us slushy leaves salt and crap.

Steve

Master
    Not to bad... although I haven’t owned a bike for 21 years, I have occasionally ridden a few bikes belonging to friends...
    But I’m gonna take it easy.

My big issue is that I need feet forward as I can only bend my legs a few degrees... I hate Harley’s, so that’s why I haven’t bothered..

I’ve ordered the Bobber with thr triumph option of forward controls...and I’ll see how I go. If it doesn’t suit I’ll get shut, but at least I gave it another try...
    Isn't the speedmaster more of a feet forward riding position than the bobber? The bobber is certainly nicer but if you don't get on with it then maybe worth a look.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Isn't the speedmaster more of a feet forward riding position than the bobber? The bobber is certainly nicer but if you don't get on with it then maybe worth a look.
    It’s actually the same with the forward control kit...

I tried a Speedmaster last week and it was fine...

But I actually prefer the Bobber, which uses the same front end and frame as the SM, up to the point where the swing arm meets the frame.. the difference is that the SM is designed to take a pillion, and the Bobber isn’t...

Ignore the handlebars, but this Bobber has the SM forward controls fitted.... that’s what I’ll be doing.

If it doesn’t work out, I’ll sell it and buy a SM like this, which with this spec looks similar to the Bobber

Not sure about those green brake and clutch lines in the second picture

Okay, a quick update as it's a big week for me...

Today - arranged insurance on the Triumph, given that on Friday it's getting to me one way or another (more on that below). The cheapest quote online was £1k, with pretty much everything else £1.5k and above. I was therefore massively relieved when my existing insurer totted everything up and gave me cover for about £450 p.a. (They were similarly cheaper for the YBR, and handily it's the same insurer as I use for our cars.)

Tomorrow - the YBR goes back to the dealer from which I bought it. The manager there has been as good as gold, and has stood by his buy-back price even though I've had the bike a few weeks longer than anticipated. It cost me £1850 and he's giving me £1400 for it; that's probably higher than I'd get in a private sale, and means that I've had what amounts to two months bike hire for £450. Not bad at all.

Thursday - I have my Mod 2 at about 10.30 in the morning. I'm feeling fairly confident whilst still appreciating that a moment's carelessness could mean a fail. Still, with up to ten minors allowed it's down to me to stay focussed and make sure I don't cock it up. I did ascertain that my test centre (Enfield) has the lowest pass rate in the country, mind

Friday - if I pass my Mod 2, I'll be collecting the bike from Hertfordshire Triumph and riding it home. It's now ready and waiting (I just got a call, in fact) with all the extras/upgrades fitted. The guy helping me there won't discuss the possibility of me failing, save to say that he'll talk to me should the unlikely happen and the bike will still get to me. (Either way, I'll be going there as I have some parts to collect and there'll no doubt be a few bits and pieces to tie up.)

One thing I haven't mentioned is a bit of a drama that occurred when Triumph announced the unveiling on 2nd October of a 2019 model with some very nice upgrades. These include 10 more horses (albeit with no more torque) and upgraded Brembo brakes on the front wheel, and the announcement that a new model would be unveiled was made immediately after I signed a contract and paid for mine. By the time the press were given any detail I already had most of the extras fitted to mine, and although I expressed my displeasure to the dealership it looked like I was expected to put it down to bad luck/timing and just suck it up.

For reasons I won't go into I was never going to let that go, and therefore commenced a dialogue with Triumph's National Sales Manager in Hinckley. To cut a long story short, I was offered a reasonably substantial refund, which means that I can either keep my bike for the long term, reassured by the knowledge of how cheap it will have been compared to the new model; or chop it in after a year or two knowing that I'll barely lose anything on it if I do. In fact, if I were to change it for the 2019 bike, most of the extras and upgrades could be shifted onto the new one anyway. which would make that an even more tempting option.

I'll update the thread on Thursday!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 9th October 2018 at 15:42.

Craftsman
    Good luck for Thursday Tony. Best thread ever!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMater View Post
    Good luck for Thursday Tony. Best thread ever!
    Thank you very much - I really appreciate that. It feels like it’s been a real journey

Good for you Tony. This has been a great journey to share and I’ll be rooting for you

Master
    I have been wondering about the impact of the 2019 updates to the Street Twin, but was hesitant to mention it here as I didn't want to stir the pot. Anyway, sounds like you have a decent outcome.

I have now got the dates for my DAS training and tests. Both MOD1 and MOD2 are booked on the same day, which may not be the best idea, but I'll run with it.

Best of luck for Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Good for you Tony. This has been a great journey to share and I’ll be rooting for you
    Thanks very much :)

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I have been wondering about the impact of the 2019 updates to the Street Twin, but was hesitant to mention it here as I didn't want to stir the pot. Anyway, sounds like you have a decent outcome.

I have now got the dates for my DAS training and tests. Both MOD1 and MOD2 are booked on the same day, which may not be the best idea, but I'll run with it.

Best of luck for Thursday.
    Well, until I reached an agreement with Triumph I was pretty pissed off, as the timing of everything made me feel somewhat hoodwinked; however, at the price I got mine for it's no longer an issue. In real terms, my bike makes peak torque of 80 Nm at 3230rpm; the new model makes the same 80 Nm peak torque at 3800rpm. That's fantastic performance where it matters, and it'll feel a lot faster than the HP number suggests. Given that I don't intend riding anywhere near the top speed the only noticeable difference is therefore going to be a better front brake. Again, though, the price adjustment has left me perfectly happy with what I've bought.

Thanks re the test, and good luck with yours. Brave to book both for the same day, but you know what they say about fortune

Best of luck for tomorrow Tony and I look forward to the next installment and i know you will enjoy your new bike.

Great result on your new bike and all the best for tomorrow.

I had my CBT last weekend in pretty horrible weather, not the most fun tbh but got through the day with no dramas. Still I am peservering, theory next week and Mod 1 at the end of the month. Kit arrived today. You have started something!

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Best of luck for tomorrow Tony and I look forward to the next installment and i know you will enjoy your new bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Great result on your new bike and all the best for tomorrow.

I had my CBT last weekend in pretty horrible weather, not the most fun tbh but got through the day with no dramas. Still I am peservering, theory next week and Mod 1 at the end of the month. Kit arrived today. You have started something!
    The test is on Thursday but thank you. I think I may have started some kind of motorbike frenzy
    Last edited by learningtofly; 10th October 2018 at 09:10.

Master
    Best of luck Tony, and you may be right, it's certainly inspired me to buy a couple of bikes anyway :-)

Master
    I have not followed all the thread Tony - but I like your final choice of bike.. I think it looks a lot better than that 'Bobber' style or that other big black one :)

Hope your test goes smoothly on Thursday and you ace it.. Must be a lot harder these days than the old two part test I did back in the eighties.. On my part two, the instructor stepped out from behind a tree for the emergency stop - but he was so far away I could have rolled to a stop and still be twenty yards from him.. I guess they must have had some learners actually hit them so they must have introduced a safe minimum distance for the Emergency stop..
    Good Luck but I'm sure you will be fine !

Master
    Tony all the best for Thursday, just relax and give it your best.

Turning to the updates on your bike, the rate of innovation on bikes is like hi fi or phones. Even as you buy the latest, a spy shot in MCN will reveal the next latest.

KTM are legend for this. But just like phones or hi fi as soon as you get it, you can ride it and enjoy it.

There is another school of biking that says don’t always be an early adopter, a certain “ adventure bike” has been plagued with corrosion / linkages etc. Your Triumph is proven, gets great reviews and sang to you when specced to your choice. So just ride it , polish it and enjoy looking at it in the garage, because that’s what the majority of us enthusiasts do!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
    Best of luck Tony, and you may be right, it's certainly inspired me to buy a couple of bikes anyway :-)
    Hah! Great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I have not followed all the thread Tony - but I like your final choice of bike.. I think it looks a lot better than that 'Bobber' style or that other big black one :)

Hope your test goes smoothly on Thursday and you ace it.. Must be a lot harder these days than the old two part test I did back in the eighties.. On my part two, the instructor stepped out from behind a tree for the emergency stop - but he was so far away I could have rolled to a stop and still be twenty yards from him.. I guess they must have had some learners actually hit them so they must have introduced a safe minimum distance for the Emergency stop..
    Good Luck but I'm sure you will be fine !
    Thank you. I wish I’d taken mine back in the day, when all my mates did,

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony all the best for Thursday, just relax and give it your best.

Turning to the updates on your bike, the rate of innovation on bikes is like hi fi or phones. Even as you buy the latest, a spy shot in MCN will reveal the next latest.

KTM are legend for this. But just like phones or hi fi as soon as you get it, you can ride it and enjoy it.

There is another school of biking that says don’t always be an early adopter, a certain “ adventure bike” has been plagued with corrosion / linkages etc. Your Triumph is proven, gets great reviews and sang to you when specced to your choice. So just ride it , polish it and enjoy looking at it in the garage, because that’s what the majority of us enthusiasts do!
    Steve
    All good points, Steve, and thanks very much!

Master
    All the best for the test tomorrow. Mod 2 is a piece of cake. Just relax and ride like you're out on your own. I got one minor for not exiting onto a slip road quickly enough from the dual carriageway. Just make sure to take your time if you need to, don't panic, do your head checks and cancel your indicators :)

Craftsman
    Had been missing this thread, and no wonder when it comes back with such drama! Well done on the discount, and hope the osteopath set you up for breezing through the test tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    All the best for the test tomorrow. Mod 2 is a piece of cake. Just relax and ride like you're out on your own. I got one minor for not exiting onto a slip road quickly enough from the dual carriageway. Just make sure to take your time if you need to, don't panic, do your head checks and cancel your indicators :)
    Thanks very much. Yes, those damned indicators

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Had been missing this thread, and no wonder when it comes back with such drama! Well done on the discount, and hope the osteopath set you up for breezing through the test tomorrow
    That's kind, thank you! Not sure about the back yet - my fear is that the hour's ride to the test centre will leave me wishing I was off the bike, but time will tell.