closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 147 of 354 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 7,301 to 7,350 of 17677

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks Brian. Sadly the ABBA doesn't fit the Thruxton, otherwise I'd have gone for that straight away.
    Oh dear, that is such a shame.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

More bike related stuff

Hi Tony

Dunno if this is applicable to your bike but thought its worth checking, maybe a bit of jiggerypokery is needed to make it fit perhaps.....

https://www.thetriumphforum.com/thre...ba-stand.3789/

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    ABBA stand works best,no load on the shocks,adaptable and sturdy.

My local bike garage bought one with a full kit after I told them about it,they use it all the time.

Though I would prefer firms fitted a centre stand as normal especially on road bikes.
    I have an ABBA also.
    Almost impossible to use on a table lift, paddock stands are far easier.
    Also, some bikes have a very low s/a pivot, making it incredibly difficult to hoick it up.
    I have a full Harris set, and they are an absolute dream to use.
    Every one is light, easy to use, rustproof, and very sturdy, with great stability.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Hi Tony

Dunno if this is applicable to your bike but thought its worth checking, maybe a bit of jiggerypokery is needed to make it fit perhaps.....

https://www.thetriumphforum.com/thre...ba-stand.3789/

Stuart

I think that's the old 900, Stuart, but in any event I won't be cutting bits off the bike any time soon

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    I have an ABBA also.
    Almost impossible to use on a table lift, paddock stands are far easier.
    Also, some bikes have a very low s/a pivot, making it incredibly difficult to hoick it up.
    I have a full Harris set, and they are an absolute dream to use.
    Every one is light, easy to use, rustproof, and very sturdy, with great stability.
    I haven't committed to a new stand yet as the attempted purchase yesterday went pear shaped, but am forming the view that a little extra on the Harris is probably money well spent.

Ah right, no worries just thought it was worth a heads up. No idea on old or new Thruxtons, anyway I’m sure you get a suitable set up for your bike.

Stuart

I haven't committed to a new stand yet as the attempted purchase yesterday went pear shaped, but am forming the view that a little extra on the Harris is probably money well spent.
    Recommendations on these two Harris stands, please... which one is likely to be the easiest to use? The box stand is £64 more expensive so I'm just wondering if there are any tangible benefits?

or

Last edited by learningtofly; 30th September 2020 at 15:54.

Recommendations on these two Harris stands, please... which one is likely to be the easiest to use? The box stand is £64 more expensive so I'm just wondering if there are any tangible benefits?

or

Can't see them - hotlinked images. Not that I'd be any good for a recommendation anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Can't see them - hotlinked images. Not that I'd be any good for a recommendation anyway.
    Thanks, and sorted.

Soundbomb!

Last edited by Gyp; 30th September 2020 at 16:23.

Master
    I use a block of wood under the side stand when I park my bike up in my bike shed,it gives me a bit more space or if I want to look at something on the left side.

Only do this on flat ground of course.
    cautionary tale, I have done this many times, usually when a little tight for garage space and have a few bikes side by side. Came down one morning and found my old blade half way over the other way and supporting itself by its tank on the engine bars of another bike. After much head scratching and "admiring" the big dent in the blade tank I noticed the rear tyre was flat. Must have ridden in the night before having picked up a slow puncture and the deflation of the tyre overnight had been enough to pivot the bike off the more upright side stand. Maybe a once in a lifetime happening, but a £500 tank fix nevertheless!

I still use a block of wood when needs be, and pretty sure that's never going to happen again

Master

or

Hi Tony,
    I have used the more slender Harris stands of the two you show above, successfully for many years. They are lovely quality bits of kit. I just tried PM'ing you but your inbox is full.
    Best,
    SP

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Hi Tony,
    I have used the more slender Harris stands of the two you show above, successfully for many years. They are lovely quality bits of kit. I just tried PM'ing you but your inbox is full.
    Best,
    SP
    Thanks Adrien, and also for the messages heads-up.

Edit: looks like I’m now sorted with front and rear Harris stands... thanks, Adrian, you’re a star!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 30th September 2020 at 17:16.

On the subject of stands.

I have one of these which I keep the Suzuki track bike on.

https://www.1jac.com/

It's good to get the bike off the ground as it often goes for months without being ridden over the winter. It helps with maintenance too & means the bike can be turned in it's own length.

I also have paddock stands for use at the track (much easier to transport) and to use on the BMW. They are mostly cheapo ones I've had for years. The Oxford stands are OK, but very heavy. If I was buying now, I'd probably buy Harris, but the ones I have work OK.

For front stands I much prefer prong style like this

https://www.lightechuk.com/lightech-...gp-12692-p.asp

as they seem more secure.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Tail Bag

Just fitted the Held Tenda tail bag to the rocket.

Not a big bag, but should easily take a small flask or bottle of water, phone, sat nav, spare gloves and sunglasses etc.

Dunno if its just my end Enoch, but cant see the pics there....?

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Soundbomb!

I have a Soundbomb Mini. On my last GS it kept tripping the Canbus, seems OK on my GSA.
    Not a lot of difference over the stock horn to be honest.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Dunno if its just my end Enoch, but cant see the pics there....?

Stuart

I think it’s your end mate..

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

Not a big bag, but should easily take a small flask or bottle of water, phone, sat nav, spare gloves and sunglasses etc.

Looks fine!

Reckon that is about as good as you will get without impacting on the aesthetics of the bike.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Hi Tony,
    Best,
    SP
    Agree, non box is fine

Master
    Blog Entries

I like that good idea.

I think it’s your end mate..
    Working for me now, strange. Looks nice that Enoch, suits the bike and just about big enough for a days essentials.

Stuart

Master
    I like that good idea.
    It’s a pretty well made piece of kit, it zips to the base which remains on the seat. At the front contained within another zip is a carrying handle, and also hidden away is a shoulder strap..Oh and a water proof cover, although I think these types of bags should be made out of WP material in the first place.

Not bad for for £52 quid.👍

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    I have a Soundbomb Mini. On my last GS it kept tripping the Canbus, seems OK on my GSA.
    Not a lot of difference over the stock horn to be honest.

Having beeped it, I'm not 100% convinced I'll keep it on the bike. Might take it off and attach it to the lad's YBR

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s a pretty well made piece of kit, it zips to the base which remains on the seat. At the front contained within another zip is a carrying handle, and also hidden away is a shoulder strap..Oh and a water proof cover, although I think these types of bags should be made out of WP material in the first place.

Not bad for for £52 quid.
    I am just going to look at videos I may get one.

I have put a small pouch from an oxford tank bag on my rear rack to carry petrol station type gloves and hand gel.

very,very sadly a sign of the times.

Dumb question(s) from a newbie (who may have just bought a bike without a centre stand)... how does one oil the chain if one can't get the back wheel off the ground? Can I wheel it along the road and employ a small child (well, she's 17 and want to nick my YBR off me so keen to help) to follow along brushing oil onto the chain? I know I can use a paddock stand but do they all require bobbins on the back wheel? Are bobbins bike-specific (axle spacing)?
    I see a couple of suggestions to tip the bike onto its side stand so raising the rear wheel off the ground - I would be careful using this method as some side stands are mounted directly to the engine/gearbox casing and the mounting point may not be able to handle the sort of strain that could be placed on it.

I use paddock stands on my bikes, some with bobbins, others with pins that go through the axle on single-sided swing arms.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Good video tony.

You should have a play with 360 as well.

I made this the day before lockdown

https://youtu.be/UeZqfL2IueE
    Nice footage - it looks at some points as if you're riding around the outside of a big grey tennis ball

Who knew paddock stands could be so controversial. I’m off for a quiet chat about Rolex prices in watch talk

So I passed my theory test last Saturday and contacted the training company I used for my CBT. Nothing back in relation to sorting my DAS out, so who can give me some recommendations on training companies to do my DAS.

South/South East London - Kent region would be prefered.

Thanks
    Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    So I passed my theory test last Saturday and contacted the training company I used for my CBT. Nothing back in relation to sorting my DAS out, so who can give me some recommendations on training companies to do my DAS.

South/South East London - Kent region would be prefered.

Thanks
    Fish
    Have you tried these guys?
    http://www.phoenixtrainingonline.co.uk/

Been struggling to identify some acceptable-looking engine protection but then found these... they actually look great so will order through one of the UK ADs (got to be shipped over from Italy).

Over the last couple of days I took a short trip up memory lane.
    I first dropped in to "A Bike Thing" to get Denali lights and SoundBomb installed and then meandered over to Stamford, a town I lived in for a while, some 40 years ago.
    From Stamford I rode around the area and revisited a couple of places I haven't been to since living there. One hadn't changed at all while the other has not been as well maintained as it was back then (but it's in a lot better condition than it has been, apparently).
    Unfortunately I didn't get to stop off at the Stibbington Diner (Stibbos), which used to be a favourite venue for a late (or very early) fry-up after a night out.

Dumb question(s) from a newbie (who may have just bought a bike without a centre stand)... how does one oil the chain if one can't get the back wheel off the ground?
    Get another person (if you can) to pull the bike over/up on its sidestand, this will raise the rear and you can then spin the wheel to apply lube.

More bike related stuff

Or get a set of bobbins and a rear paddock stand, thats how I do it.

Stuart

Master
    Been struggling to identify some acceptable-looking engine protection but then found these... they actually look great so will order through one of the UK ADs (got to be shipped over from Italy).
    They look perfect Tony.
    Completely integrated as if you can hardly notice them.

Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Over the last couple of days I took a short trip up memory lane.
    I first dropped in to "A Bike Thing" to get Denali lights and SoundBomb installed and then meandered over to Stamford, a town I lived in for a while, some 40 years ago.
    From Stamford I rode around the area and revisited a couple of places I haven't been to since living there. One hadn't changed at all while the other has not been as well maintained as it was back then (but it's in a lot better condition than it has been, apparently).
    Unfortunately I didn't get to stop off at the Stibbington Diner (Stibbos), which used to be a favourite venue for a late (or very early) fry-up after a night out.

That’s an interesting shaped tree........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    That’s an interesting shaped tree........

The Yew Tree Avenue has lots of interesting shaped trees
    The first picture is made of used horseshoes, the tallest stack in the world, apparently.

The Yew Tree Avenue has lots of interesting shaped trees
    The first picture is made of used horseshoes, the tallest stack in the world, apparently.
    Oh wow!!! I actually thought it was a tree/bush at first glance. That is very cool. Wouldn’t want to be near it on a windy day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Oh wow!!! I actually thought it was a tree/bush at first glance. That is very cool. Wouldn’t want to be near it on a windy day!!
    I thought it was thatch or similar (although now I know what it is there are some clues at the top).
    I also thought that if it was round here some oik would have torched it by now (obviously not possible with horseshoes).

Those horseshoes are near me. The house behind was the old forge - I think they just started chucking the most knackered shoes out into a pile then it just got a bit carried away!

There must be some tonnage there - probably good scrap value. And given it’s proximity to Newark, it is a surprise that it has lasted!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Those horseshoes are near me. The house behind was the old forge - I think they just started chucking the most knackered shoes out into a pile then it just got a bit carried away!

There must be some tonnage there - probably good scrap value. And given it’s proximity to Newark, it is a surprise that it has lasted!

Yes, some parts of the country it would be in the back of a transit tipper before you could blink!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post

I'm sad to say I was expecting the worst, but was hopeful that it would still be there and intact; I was pleased to see that it is

Tony with his new bike.........

Just heading off into the shed to start installing my Triumph heated grips........nice little job for a rotten wet day like today. Wish me luck.

Hi, they are who I did my CBT with, but still not had anything back since my email on Saturday. :(

Fish

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, they are who I did my CBT with, but still not had anything back since my email on Saturday. :(

Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post

Fish

- - - Updated - - -

Fish
    This one?
    http://www.phoenixtrainingonline.co....tsCrayKent.asp

Try phoning them, they are usually very efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Tony with his new bike.........

Just heading off into the shed to start installing my Triumph heated grips........nice little job for a rotten wet day like today. Wish me luck.
    Uncomfortably close to the truth

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
    Well that's the heated grips all done. It wasn't too tricky at all.

All warm and toasty on the hands front for me from now on.

I pretty much followed this guys instructional video;

He's ever so slightly annoying but you can't fault the step by step guide......better than the Triumph instructions alone.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Well that's the heated grips all done. It wasn't too tricky at all.
    I got the dealer to do mine when I bought the bike, mainly as I had memories of having to drill all the holes on my BMW to fit them which I didn't want to repeat.

Seems like it was a lot easier on the Triumph.

I got the dealer to do mine when I bought the bike, mainly as I had memories of having to drill all the holes on my BMW to fit them which I didn't want to repeat.

Seems like it was a lot easier on the Triumph.
    No slicing the stock grips off either!

No slicing the stock grips off either!
    Exactly.

I don't know; surely it's not a grip change unless you lacerate your thumb with a Stanley knife

More bike related stuff

Exactly.

I don't know; surely it's not a grip change unless you lacerate your thumb with a Stanley knife
    Good point. Best not tell Mark.