closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 141 of 358 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191241 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,050 of 17895

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The bike's looking lovely, Ian.

Anyway, given that my own R9T is now sold I thought I'd elaborate a bit on the bike I've bought to replace it (which I'm collecting on Sunday). It's an absolutely mint Thruxton R from December 2016, with just 2500 miles on the clock and a host of mods/extras including:

Triumph LED indicators
    R&G tail tidy
    Weslake decat X-Pipe
    Weslake anodised bashplate
    Ironhead OVC11SS slip-on silencers
    Triumph tank/knee pads
    Booster plug

Aside from heated grips, that's pretty much everything I'd have wanted to do anyway (and the decat x-pipe is a bonus). Here's a couple of clips of the bike...

https://streamable.com/hsg0q / https://streamable.com/mlgu9

And some seller's photos...

Why the Thruxton R? Well, I'd kind of set my heart on a Speed Twin, and had discounted the Thruxton due to my original perception of the clip-on bars. However, after testing one i can honestly say it's the most comfortable ride of anything I've tried to date (and, for me, ergonomically perfect) - so much so that it immediately vied for position with the ST. However, the thing that won me over was the quality of components used on the R model - it really is a superior bike in many respects, and given that I prefer the styling anyway it quickly became a fairly easy decision for me. It's just a shame I didn't try one at the time I bought my Street Triple really, as I'd be a fair few quid better off than I am now. Then again, trying different bikes is loads of fun, so i don't really regret the path that I've inadvertently taken.

The R9T is a gorgeous bike and I've loved every minute that I've owned it. I have to say, though, that I'm happy to be back in the Triumph fold, which undoubtedly is where I belong.
    That is going to sound insanely loud/good in real life.

Enjoy!

R18 test ride booked

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    That is going to sound insanely loud/good in real life.

Enjoy!
    Thank you! I will have the baffles but I doubt they'll see the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    R18 test ride booked

I thought I'd elaborate a bit on the bike I've bought to replace it (which I'm collecting on Sunday).

..................... I'm happy to be back in the Triumph fold, which undoubtedly is where I belong.
    Phew....that was all a bit 'on and off' there. So pleased for you Tony, there new bike looks FAB.....so much nicer than the Red or the White ones you posted previously. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

I think you've made the right call re delivery too, in the current climate I wouldn't fancy all those trains. I did once fly up to Aberdeen to collect a 911 I'd bought and drove it back home for 9 hours.....but that's another story ;o)

I know I'm biased towards the scrambler style too, but.........if you do find the clip-ons are not quite right a number off people put bars on the Thruxtons to make them more like this....

what's not to like about that?

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Phew....that was all a bit 'on and off' there. So pleased for you Tony, there new bike looks FAB.....so much nicer than the Red or the White ones you posted previously. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

I think you've made the right call re delivery too, in the current climate I wouldn't fancy all those trains. I did once fly up to Aberdeen to collect a 911 I'd bought and drove it back home for 9 hours.....but that's another story ;o)

I know I'm biased towards the scrambler style too, but.........if you do find the clip-ons are not quite right a number off people put bars on the Thruxtons to make them more like this....

what's not to like about that?
    Thanks Mark - makes a ride out even more pressing! I actually loved the clip-ons, but it's good to know there's an alternative that actually looks good too.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I'm slightly ashamed to say that I've bitten the bullet and opted for motorcycle transport with collection/delivery scheduled for tomorrow, Stuart. Five hours of multiple train rides (with the whole COVID issue playing a part), followed by at least three hours of motorway riding on a new, naked bike just seemed like an unnecessarily stressful option. I know the bike is mint so I reckon I can relax now.

The standard clip-ons have quite chunky risers so they're not particularly low, and I found that - without any noticeable forward lean - my elbows were very nicely bent, my arms were relaxed and I had no weight on my wrists. After an hour of riding my arms/wrists were still fine, as was my bum so I'm pretty sure it will be fine even on a long run.
    Probably the best option in all honesty, especially considering all the logistics. I’m sure you’ll be doing a report asap anyway, and hopefully a video of the bike?. Be safe, I know its not your first bike but it is a new bike to you, get used to it before unleashing it!!

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

As an aside, my elbows are bent and my arms completely relaxed on this bike - more so than on any other bike i've ridden. No wrist strain whatsoever after a full hour of test riding.

Maybe its because I'm a short-arse.
    I absolutely fell for the Thruxton R when the 1200 came out in 2016 and had one on test for the weekend a couple of years ago. As much as I loved the bike I knew I couldn't ride it for more than a couple of hours because my wrists wouldn't take it, it's exactly the reason I sold my Daytona 955i.

I'm 6' tall which must be where the difference is - if you can ride it in comfort Tony I envy you, I wish I could as they are gorgeous machines in so many ways.

Blog Entries
    Playing out in this today. Ride safe all and great to catch up on here everyone’s pride and joy
    Attachment 18280

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Been riding for 40 years and think I'm fairly reasonable on two wheels, but I guess we can all still learn and improve so have booked an assessment ride with the IAM tomorrow morning. If it goes well I'll enrol on the full course.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I absolutely fell for the Thruxton R when the 1200 came out in 2016 and had one on test for the weekend a couple of years ago. As much as I loved the bike I knew I couldn't ride it for more than a couple of hours because my wrists wouldn't take it, it's exactly the reason I sold my Daytona 955i.

I'm 6' tall which must be where the difference is - if you can ride it in comfort Tony I envy you, I wish I could as they are gorgeous machines in so many ways.
    Thanks Duncan - it really is such a gorgeous bike.

Master
    Thanks Mark - makes a ride out even more pressing! I actually loved the clip-ons, but it's good to know there's an alternative that actually looks good too.
    I fitted the straight bar kit to one of my mates Thruxtons. He was going to sell it, but now with the new top yoke and bars he loves it.

It was the “free spirits” kit. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I fitted the straight bar kit to one of my mates Thruxtons. He was going to sell it, but now with the new top yoke and bars he loves it.

It was the “free spirits” kit. 
    Gotcha

that thruxton sounds amazing , the over run sound as it goes round the corner in the first video sounds just like my speed triple (pop+bangs) - the engine characteristics and sounds are the reason ive still not changed bikes- the engines truimph knock out are just that good.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    that thruxton sounds amazing , the over run sound as it goes round the corner in the first video sounds just like my speed triple (pop+bangs) - the engine characteristics and sounds are the reason I've still not changed bikes- the engines truimph knock out are just that good.
    It does sound nice, doesn't it? It should be with me at about 4pm so I have a stressful few hours ahead of me... better go for a run and try to keep busy (and the 9T is being collected at 10.45, so that should use up some time).

Edit: Courier 45 minutes away from the pick-up address as at 8.30!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 20th September 2020 at 09:17.

Grand Master
    Get that Cat Delete done straight away
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Get that Cat Delete done straight away
    It's already done. Did you see the clip I posted (it sounds amazing)?

Edit: Bike en route to me as of 9.40!

Last edited by learningtofly; 20th September 2020 at 09:51.

Grand Master
    Perfect.
    RIAC

Not the usual standard of picture this bike is used to...

Now, how to fit them both in the garage???

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Not the usual standard of picture this bike is used to...

Now, how to fit them both in the garage???
    So it was you Greg! Congratulations mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    So it was you Greg! Congratulations mate

Thanks Matt

I went full hipster with the Roland Sands Design Bell Custom 500 and went to play in a puddle.

Played in a bigger puddle but was too busy not downing to get photos.

Master

Exclamation Be careful...

I’ve spent the whole day riding alone around North Wales. I’ve seen some shocking overtaking decisions, some extremely fast speeds.

And 3 bike accidents.. Yes 3. One involving the air ambulance, one that didn’t look to bad and sadly one that I’m sure will end in someone never going home.

Each accident was a sad sight to see. Please please ride carefully, don’t take chances to save a few seconds, it’s just not worth it.

Had a nice little ride out to Harpenden today with Howard, and caught the closing stages of a cricket match in the late afternoon sun. The bike looked lovely, but the sound... I've never heard a bike pop on the overrun like this one does

That look really smart. Have fun

Nothing better than a crack, cackle and pop during overrun.

Looks ace Tony. Enjoy!

Master
    I’ve spent the whole day riding alone around North Wales. I’ve seen some shocking overtaking decisions, some extremely fast speeds.

And 3 bike accidents.. Yes 3. One involving the air ambulance, one that didn’t look to bad and sadly one that I’m sure will end in someone never going home.

Each accident was a sad sight to see. Please please ride carefully, don’t take chances to save a few seconds, it’s just not worth it.
    A5 still closed Andrew over 3 hrs since crash, sounds very serious and Police are doing the full investigation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    A5 still closed Andrew over 3 hrs since crash, sounds very serious and Police are doing the full investigation.
    Yes...not good. I was on the B5113, and knew something bad had happened near Pentrefoelas... I managed to turn around and join the A5 further along, only to come across another biker down on the bends near Llangollen golf club. This was after yet another one on the A4212 near Bala.

Grand Master
    Let me know how you get on with the seat. They are one of the worst ive sat on and I have a hard ass from cycling. However theres a really easy fix just have a gel insert fitted or better still a custom seat made. I use a firm in Stockbridge who made me 2-3 for mine in custom colours and stitch and once remoulded with gel and decent foam it was like an armchair.
    RIAC

Master
    Enjoyed a terrific day riding the Salisbury Plains. Army training was live in the air, on the range, and offroad driver training.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Let me know how you get on with the seat. They are one of the worst ive sat on and I have a hard ass from cycling. However theres a really easy fix just have a gel insert fitted or better still a custom seat made. I use a firm in Stockbridge who made me 2-3 for mine in custom colours and stitch and once remoulded with gel and decent foam it was like an armchair.
    Will do, thanks, although so far so good.

Master
    Blog Entries

I am still in north Wales,The hoards of bikes in big groups began to hack me off let alone the locals.
    Each to their own but I don’t see the point it’s as if people need security in numbers it also encourages crazy riding.
    It’s a fact if you are at the back you have to ride faster to catch up,then the silliness starts.

I much prefer riding solo and taking it all in.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I came across this old classic in Carmathen,it brought it home to me you have to be the right size for the bike.
    6 foot would be to tall for this one,I wish I was shorter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I came across this old classic in Carmathen,it brought it home to me you have to be the right size for the bike.
    6 foot would be to tall for this one,I wish I was shorter

I always thought the 500/4 was the best looking Honda 4 even though I had the 400.
    And the gold ones are the older models aren't they ?

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can anyone recommend A 3 hour trip around Porthmadog?

Looking for quieter roads rather than highlights.

Master
    Blog Entries

It’s

This one got my respect and approval at Harlech castle yesterday.

I just love the spirit of adventure sling a couple of 58 large packs on the back along with a sleeping bag and go.

Master
    This is Marmite, if everyone hated Marmite. Seen in a dealership in Swindon at the weekend
    350kg of sloth

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    This is Marmite, if everyone hated Marmite. Seen in a dealership in Swindon at the weekend
    350kg of sloth
    A mate rented one to tour the States last summer and loved it. Apparently it is a great bike, but likely only if you are in the States.

I just love the spirit of adventure sling a couple of 58 large packs on the back along with a sleeping bag and go.

Love that

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Enjoyed a terrific day riding the Salisbury Plains. Army training was live in the air, on the range, and offroad driver training.
    Salisbury Plain is within easy striking distance for me, i`d like to do some exploring.
    Do you have any info or advice as regards to where/when riding on the byeways is allowed?
    For example, are they only open at weekends when there`s less chance of being struck by munitions, bombs, ordanance and bullets or being run over by a tank/used as a moving target by a Apache gunship pilot?
    Are there any maps showing the permissable routes other than the usual BOATS/byeway maps/OS maps?
    Does the army have a web page advising of when the ranges are not being used for live firing (similar to NOTAMS for flying)?

Only this week our local TV news had an item on local neds riding bikes on the plains illegally and the authorities were using drones to locate and identify them..

Well, I've got a set of Road 5s being fitted on Wednesday, and the bike's now booked in for a service on 5th October. May as well post another photo, then

The tyres look good enough Tony. Why the rush?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    New bike. Decent weather forecast. He's planning to wear the tyres out in the next two days?

The rear is right on the edge of legal (if not illegal), and I don't want to change just the one.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    New bike. Decent weather forecast. He's planning to wear the tyres out in the next two days?
    Hah!

The rear is right on the edge of legal (if not illegal), and I don't want to change just the one.
    Well the rear has had more use than the front...

If it's illegal you are of course correct. If it is still legal I would have recommended to get used to the bike first, as you should take it easy to start with anyway, and since riding in the rain is not your preferred ride it will not make the rear "dangerous"

If it's illegal you are of course correct. If it is still legal I would have recommended to get used to the bike first, as you should take it easy to start with anyway, and since riding in the rain is not your preferred ride it will not make the rear "dangerous"
    It's very, very borderline so would rather have the comfort and additional confidence of new rubber.

Another advantage of changing them now is you'll get a chance to wear them in on dry tarmac

Blog Entries

Loving that custom heat shield on the exhaust!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Had a nice little ride out to Harpenden today with Howard, and caught the closing stages of a cricket match in the late afternoon sun. The bike looked lovely, but the sound... I've never heard a bike pop on the overrun like this one does

When I bought the Harley it used to pop on the overrun, to such an extent it actually got annoying. Was advised it was the Vance and Hines 'silencers' which had little in the way of silencing and were pretty free flowing not suiting the fuelling. Fitted a Fuelpak and set it up for the silencers and free flowing K&N air filter and it virtually eliminated it and the bike actually ran better too.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    When I bought the Harley it used to pop on the overrun, to such an extent it actually got annoying. Was advised it was the Vance and Hines 'silencers' which had little in the way of silencing and were pretty free flowing not suiting the fuelling. Fitted a Fuelpak and set it up for the silencers and free flowing K&N air filter and it virtually eliminated it and the bike actually ran better too.
    I love the popping, if I'm honest. I already have a booster plug fitted and the fuelling seems to be spot on, so I'll be leaving it as-is unless anything appears to have become problematic.