closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 14 of 357 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Nice one! Can't be that difficult then... ;)

Congratulations Tony, mod 2's a breeze in comparison apparently.

Just make sure you can read that number plate at 20m!

Well done. Have you booked MOD2?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Brilliant news. Very well done.

Excellent Tony, well done. They give you kph targets? Is that even legal here? (Not to mention a 2% error)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Brilliant. What a great thread this has been

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I remember CCM from when they used B50 engines. What do they use now, Rotax?
    Yes. It's the old G650 BMW engine, cobbled together with whatever old bits they have lying around, same as ever. A friend of mine ordered one (I think a Spitfire), hadn't got it 2 years later, and somehow they persuaded him to buy another cafe scrambler type thing, which they also haven't delivered - north of £20k tied up in 2 bikes he hasn't got!

Master
    Brilliant news. The Mod2 is definitely a bit more normal. It's just going for a ride.

Excellent Tony, well done. They give you kph targets? Is that even legal here? (Not to mention a 2% error)
    I'm sure it's just another tactic to reduce the number of bikes on the road. 2mph over the speed limit and done on bikes that read in mph only.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Yes. It's the old G650 BMW engine, cobbled together with whatever old bits they have lying around, same as ever. A friend of mine ordered one (I think a Spitfire), hadn't got it 2 years later, and somehow they persuaded him to buy another cafe scrambler type thing, which they also haven't delivered - north of £20k tied up in 2 bikes he hasn't got!
    I was looking at them at the bike show last year. Nice bikes but they seemed massively over priced and they are another one that's guilty of changing the seat and handlebars and going "look! it's a bobber/scrambler/tracker/cafe racer"

Craftsman
    Well done Tony, great news!

For the emergency stop and swerve you need to be going at least 50 kph through the speed trap to make sure you don't cheat by breaking too early.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    They did use Rotax engines but the new models have a modified BMW era Husqvarna engine.
    Thank you
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Thanks everyone - I'm mightily relieved and think I'll have a little sleep on the couch now!

I also just want to say thank you for all the interest and encouragement since I started this thread - all the positivity has been fantastic. Oh, and Mod2 booked for 11th October. Hopefully there'll be a cancellation before then.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I've had three spells as a biker - in my teens as just a way if getting round affordably, in my 30's for commuting into London (great fun at the time - I wouldn't do it now) and from early 50's to date (early 60's ).

My latest spell began with a Yamaha FZ6 then an FZ1, a Suzuki GSX1250 - a brief pause when I foolishly thought I could do without a bike - then a Suzuki GSR750 and now a Hayabusa - the first bike I've owned with clip ons and a marked contrast to my normal upright preference.

Much what I could add has been said but these are a few general obsrrvations:

A big part of bike enjoyment (for me) comes from simply walking into the garage and seeing a beautiful piece of engineering in front of me - so full marks for your concern about getting the looks right.

The absokute power of the bike is not really an issue (unless you have a clumsy right hand). Despite having a ludicrously fast bike I only use a fraction of its power - the fuel mapping means throttle response is progressive and predictable. Crack the throttle open and the response is brutal (0-100 in less than 5 seconds if you know what you're doing - I couldn't do that). But the reason I love the bike is the availability of oodles of torque at low revs. If you're a laid back rider, that will make all the difference. The GSR750 I had was light(ish) and had plenty of power but if you wanted instant acceleration, you had to change down. Not the end of the world but ultimately the reason I changed it. As long as the throttle response is progressive, strong low down torque may suit your riding style. Then again you may prefer constantly hunting for the right gear.

Plus you can see I've had 5 bikes in 10 years - like watches, no purchase needs to be long term. Good luck with your test, enjoy whatever you buy, and buy MCN every so often and you may find yourself buying something else in a few years ☺

ATB

Jon
    Thanks for taking the time, Jon - much appreciated. Hayabusa, eh?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Very quick update - passed!!! One minor, for doing 49kph instead of 50 on the hazard avoidance.

Elated!
    Brilliant

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Very quick update - passed!!! One minor, for doing 49kph instead of 50 on the hazard avoidance.

Elated!
    Well done! A milestone in your life-achievments and future enjoyment!

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    Brilliant

I know you from somewhere..........

Banned
    Blog Entries

Another what motorbike thread......sorry!

I fancy a green laner to exploit my many and varied local tracks. I am a total novice at off road biking. I want a lightweight, reasonably nippy, average seat height, reliable motor, probably 4 stroke, with electric start. The new Honda CRF450L might fit the bill, but that is yet to be released. Any other recommendations? Ta.👍

Banned
    Blog Entries

Oops, sorry Tony

I seem to have crashed your thread!

Mod 2 is way easier and less stressful

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

They are remarkably docile, especially when being ridden by a sumo wrestler

Nice one, Tony! Mod2 is a piece of piss in comparison

Master
    Congratulations.

scooter

Thanks, both!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    I fancy a green laner to exploit my many and varied local tracks. I am a total novice at off road biking. I want a lightweight, reasonably nippy, average seat height, reliable motor, probably 4 stroke, with electric start. The new Honda CRF450L might fit the bill, but that is yet to be released. Any other recommendations? Ta.
    Maybe not that lightweight at 131 kg, but otherwise looks nice - the crf250l was let down by poor suspenders and weighing more than the core of the sun. The 450 is oddly the same power as the 250, but it has proper road bike service intervals, is 15kg lighter, and based on the 450r looks to have decent suspension and frame too. Deffo worth a look.

The alternatives are enduro bikes (I have KTM 350 EXC which is great, it weighs 105kg or so and has somewhere north of 40hp, but has 15 hour service intervals) or maybe an AJP, decent enough bikes but much lower spec

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Congrats on passing.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries

For now ;)

Congratulations on passing - looking forward to hearing more about your biking 'journey'

ATB

Jon

Well, I bought my bike today...

Okay, I know I hadn't given it a full test, but the ultimate choice was always going to boil down to the Street Twin or the T100. They both have exactly the same (900cc) engine, and the reality is that the Street Twin could have been built for me, whereas the T100 felt large when I was on it. I've also ruled out many of the non-Triumph potential alternatives, by handling or riding them; from my shortlist, I now think that the R9T (though a thing of beauty) is too big/powerful, and I just prefer the look and fit & finish of the Triumphs over the Ducati Scramblers

After some deliberation, pushing, pulling, walking and manoeuvring both bikes, firing up of the engines and drooling, thinking some more and negotiating a decentish deal, this is now on order:

Street Twin (jet black), customised with:

Fully adjustable Fox RSU
    Heated grips
    Dresser bars
    Tinted flyscreen
    Luggage rack & grab bar
    Centre stand
    Chain guard
    Engine protector kit
    Knee pads
    Tank pad
    CNC front reservoir

The Twin is effectively sold as a blank canvas, the intention being that you then make your mark on it. I'm 100% happy with my choice of both bike and extras and I don't think there's another bike on the market that's physically a better fit or more perfectly in keeping with what I want. I couldn't be more excited, and now it can be built and delivered whilst I wait for my Mod 2.

This is just the stock bike - so beautiful

Last edited by learningtofly; 24th September 2018 at 20:31.

Splendid!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Tony, very well done you. Nothing better than making a bike bespoke to you. Enjoy the anticipation.👍

Master
    Great choice!

Coincidentally, I was just looking at the Triumph website - as you do...

It was always going to end this way in a Triumph. Well done!

good choice and im sure you will be happy with it - now you can get on the triumph rat forums :)
    been out for a blast myself today over bridgnorth to scrub in some new tyres -no matter how many times i do it scrubbing in new tyres still terrifies me , its like riding on ice .

Master
    I think that's a great choice, looks perfect for your requirements and I hope you will be as happy owning a Triumph as I have been

I must stop drooling over the Thruxton R though...

Thanks so much, guys. I’m ridiculously pleased

Craftsman
    Looks awesome - when will we have photos of the real thing?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Well, I won’t be paying the balance until near the month end, and then I’ve been advised not to try to see it until I can actually drive it away. Unless I get a cancellation for my Mod 2, that’s not going to be until the second week of October

I’m not sure that I’ll last that long.

Bikes aren’t my thing but that does look rather smart.

Don’t scrimp on security.
    Last edited by -Ally-; 24th September 2018 at 22:55.

It's a worse addiction than watches Tony! As has been said you can't go wrong with a Trumpet, I've had plenty in the past and loved them all. Make sure you pass mod2!

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    good choice and im sure you will be happy with it - now you can get on the triumph rat forums :)
    been out for a blast myself today over bridgnorth to scrub in some new tyres -no matter how many times i do it scrubbing in new tyres still terrifies me , its like riding on ice .
    What tyres do you fit pugster? I've always felt a lot more confident on news ones, mind you, in the distant past (as an impoverished youth) regarding the state of some of my old ones that's hardly surprising!

im trying a set of michelin pilot road 4's this time as ive been recommended them by quite a few ppl , they are sports touring tyres that are pretty sticky but have a better life then pure sports tyres -they are also supposed to be very good in the wet (not that it matters to me, the only time i get wet on the bike these days is if i get caught out in a shower :) ) -£280 fitted (190/120 sizes) so not the cheapest but not as expensive as something like metzeler 7r's .

Really nice choice - enjoy!

Looks lovely and it was where your heart was from the beginning. You are going to love it

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great choice - looking forward to the pics ☺

^^^ Thanks very much! To be honest, the moment I discovered the Street Twin I pretty much knew it was the right bike for me. I just need to try to sleep between now and my Mod 2

Craftsman
    ^^^ Thanks very much! To be honest, the moment I discovered the Street Twin I pretty much knew it was the right bike for me. I just need to try to sleep between now and my Mod 2
    So, it's nots just me that is having difficulty sleeping through the night. I'm constantly thinking about my mod 1.

On another note are frame sliders as good as they say they are? Worth getting them?

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    So, it's nots just me that is having difficulty sleeping through the night. I'm constantly thinking about my mod 1.

On another note are frame sliders as good as they say they are? Worth getting them?

Don't worry, I found I was much calmer on the day than during the preceding period. Remember that there's no rush, so take your time, breathe and look at where you want to finish up on the slow ones

If you have the option of engine bars for your bike then consider them too. I went for the latter on advice from the guy at Triumph, and I've read some stuff online regarding frame sliders that suggests that they can increase risk/damage in some situations (e.g. catching on tarmac and causing a flip, creating a single stress point on the frame, etc).

Notwithstanding the above, I'm sure someone with real experience will be along soon

PS Just to add, remember that you can often get engine case covers too.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 26th September 2018 at 10:19.

Be careful Tony - that Triumph might end up being flipped as I’ve discovered bikes are definitely a bit like watches...

Went to the local BMW dealer today as it’s near work and I’m on-call today, so figured I could pop in if I got called.

Went in with the intention of ‘just sitting’ on a triple black low suspension GS they had. I’d always wanted a GS but felt it was too much bike to ride after DAS.

Anyway, I sat on it with both feet on the floor and realised it was marginally heavier than my R9T. I was talking about how much I liked the oilhead engine and they just happened to have a 2012 GS Rallye special edition in. I’m going back for a test ride in the week and am seriously contemplating chopping my R9 in for it:

Oh dear... lovely bike, though, John!

Master
    My mate did his Mod 1 last Thursday and bought this today....

I passed my test back in 1979, and rode until 2000 when leg troubles put a stop to it... but checked out a Triumph Bobber today. I recon because my legs won’t bend very much, a forward control Bobber could be on the cards..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Be careful Tony - that Triumph might end up being flipped as I’ve discovered bikes are definitely a bit like watches...

Went to the local BMW dealer today as it’s near work and I’m on-call today, so figured I could pop in if I got called.

Went in with the intention of ‘just sitting’ on a triple black low suspension GS they had. I’d always wanted a GS but felt it was too much bike to ride after DAS.

Anyway, I sat on it with both feet on the floor and realised it was marginally heavier than my R9T. I was talking about how much I liked the oilhead engine and they just happened to have a 2012 GS Rallye special edition in. I’m going back for a test ride in the week and am seriously contemplating chopping my R9 in for it:

That’s nothing I visited Williams Manchester as they had a Bratwurst weekend, fancied something for lunch. Result bought a low chassis Rallye GS , I certainly didnt see that coming !

Good luck with the test ride, the GS weight difference will feel different as the bars give you more leverage and the riding position is more assertive on the road.

There's nothing as common these days as a GS.
    Testemony to how good they are I suppose.
    But nahh....just too many of them.
    They're everywhere.....just everywhere.....

Just a quickie to wish anyone participating in the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride today a great time. I'm absolutely gutted that the timing this year wasn't right as it supports causes that for one reason or another are close to my heart - next year for sure, though.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 30th September 2018 at 10:55.