closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 136 of 357 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,800 of 17840

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    From MCN - "For now Triumph aren’t releasing any figures about the new powerplant, other than to say it will be A2 compliant. We imagine it will take a leaf out of the A2-legal Street Triple S’ book, so expect 660cc and 47bhp in restricted form."
    Ah. Well that’s pretty unexciting.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Ah. Well that’s pretty unexciting.
    So likely 95bhp unrestricted, however if they are aiming to make about £1000-£1500 cheaper than the Street Triple S, I wonder which corners will get cut

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    How time flies..... 1980 riding in the Picos.... 40 years ago !!!!!!

In 1980, I was still riding the Pennines on a TY50!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    In 1980, I was ragging an MOT-failed CZ250 up and down a disused railway line (and around the coal yards when we could get in).
    Happy days!

In 1980 I jumped off my Garelli Tiger Cross straight on to a KH250 2-stroke triple.

God only knows how I made it to 1981.
    Last edited by hhhh; 26th August 2020 at 22:44.

More bike related stuff

In 1980 I was riding this :)

It looks like they are making an A2 bike (triple) priced below the Street Twin/Street Triple to compete with the MT07 etc to try and get the learners onto Triumphs with the hope I suspect of keeping them on them.

Whilst I acknowledge that they aren't making anything "weapons grade" I'm not convinced that's the way the market is going.
    Agree 100%
    Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh.....mmm...ok.
    They could have just neutered the 765 (dumbed down ecu, rev limiter to protect lesser quality internals, cheapo brakes, suzzies etc..) and saved themselves a shedoad. Much dissapoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    In 1980 I was riding this :)
    In 1980 I was riding this and thought it was 'the dogs'.........

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Agree 100%
    Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh.....mmm...ok.
    They could have just neutered the 765 (dumbed down ecu, rev limiter to protect lesser quality internals, cheapo brakes, suzzies etc..) and saved themselves a shedoad. Much dissapoint.
    Though they'd then struggle to sell the Street Triple S, which is pretty much a neutered 765 already.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    In 1980 I jumped off my Garelli Tiger Cross straight on to a KH250 2-stroke triple.

God only knows how I made it to 1981.
    In the summer holidays of 1980, I bought a Suzuki GT185 even though I wasn’t 17 until November. That was quite a leap too.

Though they'd then struggle to sell the Street Triple S, which is pretty much a neutered 765 already.
    Yup.
    I can't really see the point tbh.
    But I'd sooner buy a seroiusly detuned 765 over say a 'hyped up' 300, or 400cc?
    Forget the new tooling, just use simpler ancillaries and lower spec running gear, and you'd still end up with a cheaper/superior product.
    (No substitute for cubes!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Yup.
    I can't really see the point tbh.
    But I'd sooner buy a seroiusly detuned 765 over say a 'hyped up' 300, or 400cc?
    Forget the new tooling, just use simpler ancillaries and lower spec running gear, and you'd still end up with a cheaper/superior product.
    (No substitute for cubes!)
    I'd rather go for the Goldilocks option. A larger engine designed for 47bhp rather than either one designed for a lot more with the top half of the rev range artificially restrained or a little one that needs flogging to get it to go.

Done properly, a 47bhp bike, especially a single or twin, can have a massive spread of torque and be hugely flexible and surprisingly quick.

BMW introduce maintenance-free chain.

I like the sound of that, or more specifically I like the sound of not having to clean chain lube off of the bike on a regular basis.

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/4...durance-chain/

Wonder how much it is..?

Edit: £100 as an option on a new bike. I can see that box being ticked an awful lot!
    Last edited by Gyp; 28th August 2020 at 06:09.

I'd rather go for the Goldilocks option. A larger engine designed for 47bhp rather than either one designed for a lot more with the top half of the rev range artificially restrained or a little one that needs flogging to get it to go.

Done properly, a 47bhp bike, especially a single or twin, can have a massive spread of torque and be hugely flexible and surprisingly quick.
    For me, there’s a lot more fun to be had in flogging every last ounce out of a small engine than having a huge surplus of power that you can only use a small portion of on the road (or track).

That’s not to say that I don’t enjoy larger engined bikes, just that lower powered ones can be far more rewarding.

For me, there’s a lot more fun to be had in flogging every last ounce out of a small engine than having a huge surplus of power that you can only use a small portion of on the road (or track).

That’s not to say that I don’t enjoy larger engined bikes, just that lower powered ones can be far more rewarding.
    Agree. My personal favourite is a properly thrashed 600cc sportsbike. Sounds magically livid, very quick and loads of fun.

Properly thrashed litre sportsbike = death/prison.

Agree. My personal favourite is a properly thrashed 600cc sportsbike. Sounds magically livid, very quick and loads of fun.

I’m actually being drawn to some of the latest 400 models or even an old gpz500.

For me,even a 600 sportsbike is too fast for the road if thrashed and boring if not.

I like the sound of that, or more specifically I like the sound of not having to clean chain lube off of the bike on a regular basis.

Wonder how much it is..?

Edit: £100 as an option on a new bike. I can see that box being ticked an awful lot!
    Interesting. Chains - or rather, the lack of innovation in respect of chains - has been playing on my mind for some time as to me it seems like archaic "technology". I still don't understand why belts aren't more widely used, and if the reason is that they aren't as efficient then my question would be why hasn't there been more research and proven innovation. The fact that chain maintenance is the same pain in the arse now as it was 50 years ago is beyond my comprehension.

Master
    For me,even a 600 sportsbike is too fast for the road if thrashed and boring if not.
    Agree. I got rid of my CBR600RR for that reason. It would do 70mph in first gear ferchrissakes.

I’ve always had more fun on lower powered bikes: SV650, DRZ400, CCM Spitfire.
    The SV was even great fun on track. It would get mullered on the straights but I’d always catch people in the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Agree. I got rid of my CBR600RR for that reason. It would do 70mph in first gear ferchrissakes.

The SV was even great fun on track. It would get mullered on the straights but I’d always catch people in the corners.
    The Street Triple (in R guise) seems to me to be a good option. I found that once I started dropping down a gear from the one that I was initially comfortable in it was loads of fun! I do often wish that I still had it.

Master
    The Street Triple (in R guise) seems to me to be a good option. I found that once I started dropping down a gear from the one that I was initially comfortable in it was loads of fun! I do often wish that I still had it.
    Yep. I’ve always thought the same. I very nearly switched from my Speed Triple to. Street Triple for the agility, weight etc.
    But that creamy Speed Triple rumble just got me every time I fired it up

Interesting. Chains - or rather, the lack of innovation in respect of chains - has been playing on my mind for some time as to me it seems like archaic "technology". I still don't understand why belts aren't more widely used, and if the reason is that they aren't as efficient then my question would be why hasn't there been more research and proven innovation. The fact that chain maintenance is the same pain in the arse now as it was 50 years ago is beyond my comprehension.
    Agreed re belts; they could be an answer but chains are a whole lot easier to look after than when I started riding forty years ago. Back then I had to take the chain off the bike and boil it in a can of grease once a week. Then hang it over the can to allow excess grease to drop off before wiping the remainder off and refitting it to the bike.

I ring, X ring and Scottoilers have made chain maintenance a doddle!

A properly maintained chain is more mechanically efficient than a shaft so more of the power produced by the engine makes it to the wheel. It's also cheaper to manufacture and a hell of a lot lighter.

Belts sit somewhere in the middle of the two, but are more likely to be damaged than chains if not fully enclosed and are not easy to replace by the roadside if they break.

Chains have developed massively over the last few years, with o-ring, x-ring and similar technologies doing a great job of keeping the grease where it should be on the rollers, and automatic oilers do a fine job of keeping the outside of the chain from going rusty.

When I started riding, it was still common to put the chain in a bath of chain wax on the stove occasionally to get lubrication into the rollers.

Tell that to the kids of today...

Seems like Dave+63 and myself are having a gimmer-off!

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post

Agreed; my most memorable (for the right reasons) track day was spent on a WR400 supermoto. It’s top speed was probably less than 100mph.

I still haven't tried a Street Triple.

I must.

I've read from the reviews that the RS would be much better if it had the S engine.

Seems like Dave+63 and myself are having a gimmer-off!

You old fart!!!

I still haven't tried a Street Triple.

I must.

I've read from the reviews that the RS would be much better if it had the S engine.
    Within its genre (naked sports?) it's the perfect bike. I genuinely miss it.

You old fart!!!
    Eee, I remember when all this were Bantams, an all the talk down't pub were abaat whether yours was still post office colours or not.

Craftsman

Wonder how much it is..?

Ahha. Same company that had maintenance free shaft drives as well - before they u turned.

I just use Profi dry lube on mine.

Master
    Eee, I remember when all this were Bantams, an all the talk down't pub were abaat whether yours was still post office colours or not.
    Nearly Bike lube related . Just before we set of to France in the early 80’s on my XS500, I reproofed my Belstaff. Just like a chain, rub it with the silvery wax and pop it in the oven.

When we got to Bordeaux it was 30/ 32 deg C and we were stuck in traffic. The said Jacket was dripping wax onto the bike / road / jeans. I swore if I would have come off I would have slid down the road , caused a big black slick and been perfectly OK.

And you tell that to these triple layer goretex boys of today ............

Steve

Chains are so soooo easy to service/maintain. It takes an average home workshop numpty an hour or so to swap one out...say every 20,000 miles plus. Cost...about £140. Bargain, cheap as chips. Every 20,000 miles or so you have yourself a brand new drive set. Shafts....shims, pre loading bearings, oil seal and bearing failures, extra weight....ughhhhh....I've owned three shafties....yeahh...nahhhhhhhhh.

have a look here...BMW have just announced a 'new generation' chain.
    https://www.rideapart.com/articles/4...ZUYwi6otQPrrOU

20,000 miles out of a chain and sprocket set, wow, things have moved on!

My mate ahas a ZZR1400 with probably well over 20k on and still on the original chain.
    Hardly needs any adjustments, just regular lubing, and this is with a ZZR14 which puts down some serious power.
    Tyres, on the other hand....

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I'm still more than happy to have shaft over chain drive, thanks! Saves a horrible messy job 15-20 times a year.

A properly maintained chain is more mechanically efficient than a shaft so more of the power produced by the engine makes it to the wheel. It's also cheaper to manufacture and a hell of a lot lighter.

Belts sit somewhere in the middle of the two, but are more likely to be damaged than chains if not fully enclosed and are not easy to replace by the roadside if they break.

Chains have developed massively over the last few years, with o-ring, x-ring and similar technologies doing a great job of keeping the grease where it should be on the rollers, and automatic oilers do a fine job of keeping the outside of the chain from going rusty.

When I started riding, it was still common to put the chain in a bath of chain wax on the stove occasionally to get lubrication into the rollers.

Automatic oilers lubricate the interface between the rollers and the sprocket. Just like the greases do. I think the oilers do a better job, albeit may impinge on your wheel rim. Run with a completely dry chain and see what the wear looks like after a few thousand miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    A bit less on a litre Sports Bike ridden enthusiastically.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Automatic oilers lubricate the interface between the rollers and the sprocket. Just like the greases do. I think the oilers do a better job, albeit may impinge on your wheel rim. Run with a completely dry chain and see what the wear looks like after a few thousand miles.
    Chain oil and greases do as you say in that they lubricate the interface between the rollers and sprocket, however as there's basically no movement between the two until you get sprocket wear, there's nothing that really needs lucticating. What the oil/grease does do is keep the seals moistened and stops rust at the interface between the seal and the chain.

If you get rust or wear at the seals on each link then the grease held within the chain will come out and that's when the real damage will occur

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    My mate ahas a ZZR1400 with probably well over 20k on and still on the original chain.
    Hardly needs any adjustments, just regular lubing, and this is with a ZZR14 which puts down some serious power.
    Tyres, on the other hand....
    When I had my Hayabusa, I realised after a while that 10% of all my mileage was going to and from the tyre shop.

When I had my Hayabusa, I realised after a while that 10% of all my mileage was going to and from the tyre shop.
    Hahahahaaaa......I feel your pain.
    I knocked out a Qualifier in one weekend. (Aprilia Tuono)
    Good fun though...no?

Master
    I'm still more than happy to have shaft over chain drive, thanks! Saves a horrible messy job 15-20 times a year.
    How many bikes have you got ? 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    How many bikes have you got ? 
    Okay, slight exaggeration

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    How many bikes have you got ? 😀
    It's not the number of bikes. It's his cleaning fetish.

It's not the number of bikes. It's his cleaning fetish.
    I have a number of fetishes, but I can say with complete honesty that cleaning the bike isn't one of them.

Blog Entries

Ha ha ha ha ha! I remember those round tins of solid chain wax/lube! Put on the stove and when it melts and the chain is immersed in the molten goodness job done.

Good god, they still sell it......https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...CABEgJR9vD_BwE
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 29th August 2020 at 16:42.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Donington tomorrow. Borrowed a mates double bike trailer as my eldest lad is coming too on his road bike (GSXR-750).

Really looking forward to it. Have my Nitron race shock back in, so the bike will handle better once dialled in.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I put a couple of hundred miles on a Triumph Tiger Sport over the weekend. It’s a departure for me as I’m more used to sports bikes and Speed Triples but I have to say it’s a fabulous bike. Effortless power literally from tick over, silky smooth gearbox and suspension that doesn’t seem to even notice pot holes and changes in tarmac. I always overlooked these things as I thought they were a bit of an old mans bike but it’s genuinely brilliant. I should have got one years ago. Mediocre seat though.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I put a couple of hundred miles on a Triumph Tiger Sport over the weekend. It’s a departure for me as I’m more used to sports bikes and Speed Triples but I have to say it’s a fabulous bike. Effortless power literally from tick over, silky smooth gearbox and suspension that doesn’t seem to even notice pot holes and changes in tarmac. I always overlooked these things as I thought they were a bit of an old mans bike but it’s genuinely brilliant. I should have got one years ago. Mediocre seat though.
    Hark at grandpa over here ;)

Just kidding - I’m thinking about a Tiger as well to complete the tripod of bikes alongside cruiser and sports. Reckon it’d be just about perfect. Was it 800cc?

Had a “spirited” ride at crack of dawn today on my Fireblade. Still getting used to the feel of the 16” front wheel....really likes to dive in to turns. Apparently part of its charm although I note people do regularly pop on a VFR 17” rim lol.

Blog Entries
    Went for a nice bimble around today for a couple of hours on the Interceptor. Stopped to stretch my legs, and have a read of the nicely kept memorial and spend a few minutes thinking about the people on there.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Had a good ride out to Barmouth in North Wales on Sunday, 30.08.20, with a couple of mates on their Gixers. Stopped off at Bala, by the lake. I saw a nice R9T there as well, so snapped a couple of shots for Tony as I know hes a fan of these. They have never really appealed to me, although Tonys one looks nice and this one got me thinking a bit as well. Some nice extras on here, the filters looked wicked, along with the Nitron shock. The owner says the shock has transformed the handling massively, so much so he touches down at will, and has had to invest in a flexible number plate for the side to stop it breaking.

The gixer lads turned back at Bala, but it was such a nice day I continued to Barmouth. Just chilled out on one of the benches and people watched on the beach for an hour or so, chatted with a few other biker, before heading back home. The roads round there are simply designed for the 'ickle RS, or was the RS designed for these roads, who knows. Anyway, the roads do attract a few nutters who seem to want to simply overtake everything everywhere and anywhere. Dont get me wrong, I like to scoot along a bit, but time and a place. There is such a whole lot of amazing scenery along those roads. All in all though a lovely days ride and a nice chill by the seaside. Cant beat it.

Stuart
    Last edited by cinnabull; 31st August 2020 at 18:23.