closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 135 of 357 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185235 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,750 of 17848

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Well if you will ride that slowly...
    I’ve already shed 70mph due to wind resistance by the time I’ve located the tap ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Thank God! The old costs for doing anything were eye watering, especially when on some models half the bike had to be dismantled just to get to some of the basis components.
    My mates got a multistrada and has just got off the phone. The fork seal went on one side, the connector for the fork is buried somewhere in the bike so it took 15 hours to strip it down and put it back together. Ducati wanted to charge £600 for the job. Jokers.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    My mates got a multistrada and has just got off the phone. The fork seal went on one side, the connector for the fork is buried somewhere in the bike so it took 15 hours to strip it down and put it back together. Ducati wanted to charge £600 for the job. Jokers.

So, a job that took your mate 15 hours would have been completed by the dealer in less than a day?
    Personally, I'd have had both fork seals done.

My Ducati (1100S) so ancient motor has clocked up 42,000 trouble free miles.

Servicing is not cheap (Ducati main dealer) but everything else has just been consumables and a clutch switch (wouldn't start on the side stand or in gear) which was a few pounds from eBay.

All the electrical connectors are better than Jap bikes and it has been a great bike and not massively well looked after either really. Only fault is the fuel light stopped working and I have refused to pay 300 or so for a 50p thermistor (I thought that the price was for the fuel pump not the thermistor) so I use te trip meter now.

£600? I’ve three bikes that I paid less than £600 each for!

Mind, I do remember a £650 service bill for my 916 way back when.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    My Ducati (1100S) so ancient motor has clocked up 42,000 trouble free miles.

Servicing is not cheap (Ducati main dealer) but everything else has just been consumables and a clutch switch (wouldn't start on the side stand or in gear) which was a few pounds from eBay.

All the electrical connectors are better than Jap bikes and it has been a great bike and not massively well looked after either really. Only fault is the fuel light stopped working and I have refused to pay 300 or so for a 50p thermistor (I thought that the price was for the fuel pump not the thermistor) so I use te trip meter now.
    I’ve just had to replace the fuel pump on my RSV1000. It was £25 and a mornings work. The pump is in the tank and has been superseded by a longer one so a bit of fettling was needed otherwise it would have taken no more than an hour.

The other three don’t even have fuel pumps!

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Toying with the idea of a Diavel for the lakeside cruising and local alpine roads. Looks a bit Batmanesque. Anyone own one?

I had one of the first generation Diavels and for 99% of the time loved it to bits. Comfy, economical, very VERY fast, handles and stops as well as most 'superbikes' and with the unbaffled full Termi system, sounded just sublime, well to me anyways. It was the 1% in slow traffic or town work it was just horrible. At slow revs the big V Twin was lumpy, snatchy and just not pleasant. Get it above 40ish and its fine, but any less and your clutching it and flicking from first to second all the time. Its actually very easy to manouvre once rolling, and with a low seat height a shortarse like me can flatfoot both feet. It attracted attention wherever I went, yeah the looks are a bit marmite, but I liked it. I have heard the next generation was a fair bit smoother at low revs due to it having dual spark plugs, cant confirm this as never ridden one. One of my mates has the 1260S and absolutely loves it now. Would I have another, hell yeah. I sold it to get a S1000RR, what a mistake that was.

Stuart

Thanks for the replies. I do need to try it, particularly to see if the relatively low seating position works for me. At 6' I've found the stretch on Blades etc far more comfortable than the more upright position of Nakeds, which could give me lower back backache.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    I sold it to get a S1000RR, what a mistake that was.
    Did you not get on with the S1000RR, or did you just miss the Diavel?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Did you not get on with the S1000RR, or did you just miss the Diavel?
    The S1000RR was an impulse buy I suppose thinking back. It was the Sport version which means it had all the electronic trickery to make going very fast very easy, and it did it in a flash. Dont get me wrong, they are a lovely bike if thats what you’re after, but for me, an average joe, it was way past overkill for normal road use Andy. I do miss the absolute top end rush only a 1 litre sports bike gives, easy 3 figure speeds in seconds, but the riding position wasnt good for me either, must be getting old !! Also the seat height was a tad too much for me to be able to manoeuvre in tight spaces, junctions etc, it was doable but I was never confident. Once it was rolling it was fine though, if a bit ballistic.

I do miss the Diavel, my main ride buddy had one as well, we both chopped em in for the Beemers. I may try my mates new 1260S Diavel and see how that is, although recent personal circumstances mean I may not be swapping bikes for a bit now. I actually love my current Street Triple RS though so no worries there.

Stuart

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    So, a job that took your mate 15 hours would have been completed by the dealer in less than a day?
    Personally, I'd have had both fork seals done.
    He did have both. If the local Ducati charged that price for less than a days work they wouldn’t get any business. Oh maybe that’s why they shut as they had no business in the workshop. The local Sachs suspension guys done a few of them and they just cut the cables and put connectors on them like they do on there enduro bikes.

He did have both. If the local Ducati charged that price for less than a days work they wouldn’t get any business. Oh maybe that’s why they shut as they had no business in the workshop. The local Sachs suspension guys done a few of them and they just cut the cables and put connectors on them like they do on there enduro bikes.

Reminds me of my RS4 wing mirror removal by the book involves stripping the door card - most cut and rejoin the cable or even easier take the pins out of the plug as it is only the plug that doesn't fit through the hole in the mirror...

Talking about Ducati service costs, I got my Diavel serviced at Manchester Ducati, and including the belts it was just over £500 if memory serves, not too bad at all I thought....

Stuart

Down in London the Ducati dealership service dept hourly rates are £90 upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Talking about Ducati service costs, I got my Diavel serviced at Manchester Ducati, and including the belts it was just over £500 if memory serves, not too bad at all I thought....

Stuart

That's really good. I was quoted £800 last week for a service and belts.......

Yeah it was probably 3 years back tbh, maybe service costs have gone up a bit. I did have a good relationship with the dealer as well which maybe helped, you know, bought the bike from them, had every bit of work done there, bought clothing, always popped in for a chat when passing etc. I remember once the bike wouldnt start as the battery was goosed, they sent a van out to collect it and change the battery, and only charged for the actual battery. This was on a bank holiday weekend as well !!They are a really good dealer in my books who look after their customers. I took the lads a small case of beers in by way of a thankyou for getting me going for the weekend. Small things like that go a long way in my book.

Stuart

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just take my money!

CCM Spitfire Blackout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Just take my money!

CCM Spitfire Blackout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    860mm seat height?? Bloody hell, that’s tall.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Only 139kg though.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Only 139kg though.
    0.41 hp/kg so their standard power to weight ratio. Having just been for a factory tour there I know the bike will be a thing of beauty as they all are.

This morning I had a trip into town to introduce an Austrian to some of its Bavarian relatives:
    ...all that grunt and limited to 20mph much of the time

Master
    Two problems for me

Left leg

Right leg!

Father in law has decided his brand new 2020 T120 with just 320 miles is not going to work with his dodgy hip. Triumph understandably won't take it back which is a real shame.

But an opportunity for a great deal if anyone is after a basically new T120 Bonneville at a considerable amount off the new price? Went over and took some photos today if anyone here is interested!

Work on the 650 Dommie continues apace.
    I`ve gone right through the chassis to make sure there`s no hidden surprises further down the road, the brakes have been fully stripped, cleaned & serviced, so too has the Prolink. I was surprised and pleased to find that the linkage came apart quite easily with no siezed fixings, snapped-off bolts or other swear-inducing problems.
    This bike isn`t going to be cosmetically restored but will be mechanically refurbished to be in good shape.

So, onto the issue that resulted in this bike being off the road for years - the exhaust studs.
    I was going to attempt milling these out without removing the cylinder head but i just *know* that an engine having been inactive for so long will at the very least need the head off for a cylinder/head inspection, so off with it`s head!
    All the valve cover bolts at the front of the engine (where all the road much gets flung up) were rather uncooperative and required extreme care to avoid any more breakages - i could feel the bolts flexing during removal..... With them cracked off just enough i managed to get some penetrating jizz down the shaft to ease extraction. Even then the threads picked up and will require cleaning up. None snapped.
    The five internal (to the valve cover) cylinder head bolts came out no bother, but the external one (see pics) was a different matter - the hex head was eaten up/corroded and no way was that going to come out with normal tools. Drilling through a high-tensile steel bolt was no fun but eventually i win and the head could be removed.
    I didn`t see anything too worrying during an initial scan of the internals - no broken tensioner blades, no cylinder corrosion or water damage and the camchain looks serviceable. I`m hoping to get away with a valve job and possibly rings - i`ll have a think.
    With the head off at least it`ll make tackling the exhaust studs simpler.
    This is a budget project so i`m planning on spending out only on consumables and gaskets etc.

This is what i started with;

RFVC - `Radial Four Valve Combustion (chamber)

The head bolt that required drilling out;

A generously-sized piston - Navitimer shown for dimensional comparison...;

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    This is a budget project so i`m planning on spending out only on consumables and gaskets etc.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......!!!!!!! !
    Yeah, right. I've lost count how many times I've said that, usually when the wife is in earshot!

Great project though, and really looking forward to seeing it finished!

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Father in law has decided his brand new 2020 T120 with just 320 miles is not going to work with his dodgy hip. Triumph understandably won't take it back which is a real shame.

But an opportunity for a great deal if anyone is after a basically new T120 Bonneville at a considerable amount off the new price? Went over and took some photos today if anyone here is interested!
    That's a shame. What sort of price would he be after, and what's the spec over and above stock?

Triumph understandably won't take it back which is a real shame.
    Real shame.

I'm sure Triumph won't "take it back", i.e. offer a refund, but I'd be surprised at the moment if they'd not "buy it back" as dealers do seem to be struggling for stock at the moment.

The catch is that to make it worth their while to buy back his to sell rather than sell a customer another new one the buy back offer would likely seem very low indeed.

Real shame.

I'm sure Triumph won't "take it back", i.e. offer a refund, but I'd be surprised at the moment if they'd not "buy it back" as dealers do seem to be struggling for stock at the moment.

The catch is that to make it worth their while to buy back his to sell rather than sell a customer another new one the buy back offer would likely seem very low indeed.
    It may be worth seeing what they'd do as a trade-in against a Bobber... sometimes another deal can mitigate the losses (I should know!) and the Bobber might be better ergonomically.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Great project though, and really looking forward to seeing it finished!
    Don`t expect too much, it`s just going to be a 26 year-old standard-looking Honda Dominator..
    It`s still got original paint and graphics in good shape but i was a bit pissed off when i got the power washer too close when cleaning it the other day and took some paint off the front mudguard. Fail. I was hoping not to do any painting at all. I `don`t do ` painting.

Not sure what i`m going to do with it when it`s finished though, maybe use it myself as i get the impression it`s going to be a small, light and easy to handle machine which will make a nice change, or maybe Mrs Right-Force would like it - she`s always going on about me taking her out on the bikes (which is why i tend to have single-seated bikes...!). She could do her test and have her own bike..

It may be worth seeing what they'd do as a trade-in against a Bobber... sometimes another deal can mitigate the losses (I should know!) and the Bobber might be better ergonomically.
    Cheers for the above. It is a June 2020 stock bike. Blue and white tank, and as new as you would expect with only 320 miles! Think they go for around £11K new and he is hoping to get about £8.5 - £9K.

He is getting rid of all his bikes as his health is not good. Shame but his mind is made up. Also has a 81 Moto Guzzi and an even older AJS with sidecar!

Triumph not interested at all in taking the T120 back.

This is not a sales post but if anyone is interested I'm more than happy to share more details if wanted as I'm just trying to help him out as he is not online at all.

Photos if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Don`t expect too much, it`s just going to be a 26 year-old standard-looking Honda Dominator..
    Some of the nicest bikes are the untouched ones. Mechanically sound, with the bodywork and running gear wiped over regularly with an oily cloth. Over the years they develop a lovely interesting patina.
    I'm not a fan of a full on 'nuts & bolts, back to metal' restoration. I like a bike to look as though it's been used.

Some of the nicest bikes are the untouched ones. Mechanically sound, with the bodywork and running gear wiped over regularly with an oily cloth. Over the years they develop a lovely interesting patina.
    I'm not a fan of a full on 'nuts & bolts, back to metal' restoration. I like a bike to look as though it's been used.
    I manage that, even with my new ones. My 2019 Triumph Bonneville already looks like an unrestored classic from the 1960's :-)

I manage that, even with my new ones. My 2019 Triumph Bonneville already looks like an unrestored classic from the 1960's :-)
    Hahahaa....then that's a GOOD thing.
    Bikes are meant to be used and abused. Ridden and enjoyed. I know blokes who are paranoid about getting their bikes wet even. Ridiculous.

More ramblings on my YouTube channel - this time, a long term (15 month) R9T owners review. If you want to watch it it would be great if you did so within YouTube, then you can give it a like too

Great review Tony
    Looks like a great bike. Would never have thought it was that heavy. Shame about the traffic. Would have been good to see some dynamic motion through the twisties which I'm sure it's capable of.

Master
    Photos if anyone is interested.

Love the Monza! Another one I wanted back in the day!

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Great review Tony
    Looks like a great bike. Would never have thought it was that heavy. Shame about the traffic. Would have been good to see some dynamic motion through the twisties which I'm sure it's capable of.
    Cheers Ray, and yes - some open roads would have been nice but sadly that’s not one of the advantages to living in a London suburb.

Weight-wise, in boxing terms I guess it’s a middleweight or, perhaps, light-heavyweight. Quite agile with that low centre of gravity, though.

Looks like triumph have something special arriving early next year!

Yep...they need to start making something a bit more weapons grade if they're to avoid getting left behind by the likes of Yamaha, Aprilia, Ducati, KTM...

looks interesting, im waiting to see the new 1160 speed triple as well .

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Love the Monza! Another one I wanted back in the day!
    Now that's a stunning looking bike.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Master
    Interesting, I was pondering the other day while waiting at the dealership on the fact that they currently had a Rocket in the range (which was actually a BSA back in the day), but no Trident...

How time flies..... 1980 riding in the Picos.... 40 years ago !!!!!!

Last edited by steptoe; 26th August 2020 at 10:56.

Craftsman
    More ramblings on my YouTube channel - this time, a long term (15 month) R9T owners review. If you want to watch it it would be great if you did so within YouTube, then you can give it a like too

That really is a lovely looking bike.

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    That really is a lovely looking bike.
    Oh, thanks very much! I do love it, actually.

Yep...they need to start making something a bit more weapons grade if they're to avoid getting left behind by the likes of Yamaha, Aprilia, Ducati, KTM...
    It looks like they are making an A2 bike (triple) priced below the Street Twin/Street Triple to compete with the MT07 etc to try and get the learners onto Triumphs with the hope I suspect of keeping them on them.

Whilst I acknowledge that they aren't making anything "weapons grade" I'm not convinced that's the way the market is going.

It looks like they are making an A2 bike (triple) priced below the Street Twin/Street Triple to compete with the MT07 etc to try and get the learners onto Triumphs with the hope I suspect of keeping them on them.

Whilst I acknowledge that they aren't making anything "weapons grade" I'm not convinced that's the way the market is going.
    Why do you think it’s an A2 bike, as opposed to a bike with an A2 option?

Why do you think it’s an A2 bike, as opposed to a bike with an A2 option?
    From MCN - "For now Triumph aren’t releasing any figures about the new powerplant, other than to say it will be A2 compliant. We imagine it will take a leaf out of the A2-legal Street Triple S’ book, so expect 660cc and 47bhp in restricted form."