closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 132 of 358 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182232 ... LastLast
Results 6,551 to 6,600 of 17893

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Mine too......
    See, when on the Triumph forum I was assured that it was supposed to be that way such that it was visible to the mechanic working on the bike, that all made sense.

Now I know that was rubbish, I'm even more annoyed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I watched a YouTube video the other week of a chap test riding a TL with 168k miles on the clock... the bike looked fantastic, ran perfectly and was still pulling 3rd gear wheelies off the throttle. Suzuki know how to build a solid motor..
    Andrew if you remember the GS 1000’s I think you may have even had one. They took them to Santa Pod fed them with nitrous , and the resulting bhp was biblical. Did they blow up? In a word no! If there was ever an engine that will survive armageddon its a Suzuki 4 .

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Andrew if you remember the GS 1000’s I think you may have even had one. They took them to Santa Pod fed them with nitrous , and the resulting bhp was biblical. Did they blow up? In a word no! If there was ever an engine that will survive armageddon its a Suzuki 4 .
    And the Kawasaki z1 motors that they were copied from!

The later, 16 valve GSX engines were equally as bulletproof though and they were all Suzuki’s own work.

Master
    They fitted turbos to em too...👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Lovely, old school bike and that one looks really well cared for.

A totally underrated bike in the day so quite rare now.

Another V twin from the turn of the century.
    I love RSVs . Not suprisingly I love the next gen on from yours with the fat arse piece lots and lots with the matt black paintwork. The seat height was too much for me though:(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    I love RSVs . Not suprisingly I love the next gen on from yours with the fat arse piece lots and lots with the matt black paintwork. The seat height was too much for me though:(

It’s not that bad. I’m 5’9” tall and don’t have an issue with getting my feet down. I’m also getting on a bit but it’s not uncomfortable either.

Craftsman
    Anyone had an Indian scout bobber? Can’t stop looking at these as I’ve always wanted an old styled cruiser with some modern tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    Anyone had an Indian scout bobber? Can’t stop looking at these as I’ve always wanted an old styled cruiser with some modern tech.

Saw this vid and it seemed quite positive about them. Not an in depth review by any means though!

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post

I have one, 2020 in matte black. It’s a really well designed bike imho. Looks great, handles really well “for a cruiser” and the motor is a lot of fun. I’ve ridden for over 25 years and never had a bike that invites so much chat.

Rear shocks are basic at best though, am looking at investing in some K-Tech ones by way of an upgrade. Other bits you will prob want to change are the pipes (I have some V&H slip ons on mine) and the LED headlight is well worth it too. I had to debobber it with a pillion seat as well but it’s 4 Allen bolts if I want it off.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    I have one, 2020 in matte black. It’s a really well designed bike imho. Looks great, handles really well “for a cruiser” and the motor is a lot of fun. I’ve ridden for over 25 years and never had a bike that invites so much chat.

Rear shocks are basic at best though, am looking at investing in some K-Tech ones by way of an upgrade. Other bits you will prob want to change are the pipes (I have some V&H slip ons on mine) and the LED headlight is well worth it too. I had to debobber it with a pillion seat as well but it’s 4 Allen bolts if I want it off.

That is stunning, I was initially looking at the new 60, but also like the none 60. The additional options are not cheap and all the reviews I have seen all states that it’s a very capable bike. Will need to go test ride them out at the local dealer, but love the all black look.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It’s not that bad. I’m 5’9” tall and don’t have an issue with getting my feet down. I’m also getting on a bit but it’s not uncomfortable either.
    Being 5’7” and only having 31” legs dicked me. I would have been hanging a cheek off every time I stopped!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Being 5’7” and only having 31” legs dicked me. I would have been hanging a cheek off every time I stopped!!

Lanky git.

My R9T

Well, I've had my bike for about 15 months now and over the past few weeks I've been considering a couple of alternatives (namely the Speed Twin and a CCM of some description) for no reason other than the fact that I really like them. Having done something of a deep dive in terms of the options and deals available I've concluded that I enjoy the R9T too much to make the change a worthwhile investment so I think I'll be sticking with what I have for at least another year or so.

Performance-wise the 9T couldn't really be better. The advantage the other bikes would have, though, would be on longer rides (say, >2/3 hours) after which stock Beemer seat starts to feel a little hard and - as a short arse - the bars feel like they could be a tad closer/higher. However, that's outweighed for me by the sheer joy the bike brings due to it's character and immediate power delivery wherever you are in the rev band.

So, here's to the next few thousand miles at least. It's certainly a looker.

Last edited by learningtofly; 12th August 2020 at 08:36.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, I've had my bike for about 15 months now... It's certainly a looker.
    As part of my own 'new biker' thread I was referred to this one. I think someone one suggested I read the "first couple of pages". I've carried on and am slowly reading through the whole thread (although paused last week when on hols) and I've just reached the point where you get this one.
    And, yes, it was a looker then and it's a looker now.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    As part of my own 'new biker' thread I was referred to this one. I think someone one suggested I read the "first couple of pages". I've carried on and am slowly reading through the whole thread (although paused last week when on hols) and I've just reached the point where you get this one.
    And, yes, it was a looker then and it's a looker now.
    Thank you, and I'm glad you're reading the whole thread; aside from the fact that it's been quite a journey for me it really is a great source of info for anyone wanting to get into biking. Hopefully you'll learn from my mistakes and save yourself some money, too

Well, I've had my bike for about 15 months now and over the past few weeks I've been considering a couple of alternatives (namely the Speed Twin and a CCM of some description) for no reason other than the fact that I really like them. Having done something of a deep dive in terms of the options and deals available I've concluded that I enjoy the R9T too much to make the change a worthwhile investment so I think I'll be sticking with what I have for at least another year or so.

Performance-wise the 9T couldn't really be better. The advantage the other bikes would have, though, would be on longer rides (say, >2/3 hours) after which stock Beemer seat starts to feel a little hard and - as a short arse - the bars feel like they could be a tad closer/higher. However, that's outweighed for me by the sheer joy the bike brings due to it's character and immediate power delivery wherever you are in the rev band.

If you want the bars slightly higher there is an OEM bar riser kit from the R9T scrambler that adds a couple of cm and makes a difference.

If you speak to your dealer you will need to explain it is for the scrambler not the stock bike. I fitted mine when I got my bike,

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    If you want the bars slightly higher there is an OEM bar riser kit from the R9T scrambler that adds a couple of cm and makes a difference.

If you speak to your dealer you will need to explain it is for the scrambler not the stock bike. I fitted mine when I got my bike,
    Oh, thanks John - I'll give them a call and ask the question. I do actually have a set of Helibar risers sitting here, but can't quite make up my mind about the way they look.

Oh, thanks John - I'll give them a call and ask the question. I do actually have a set of Helibar risers sitting here, but can't quite make up my mind about the way they look.
    The OEM ones are much better as they match the yoke and the bars perfectly.

The OEM ones are much better as they match the yoke and the bars perfectly.
    Just checked the part numbers (for the "clamping support") and it seems to be the same for both models. Looks the same too.

Just checked the part numbers (for the "clamping support") and it seems to be the same for both models. Looks the same too.
    If you want to see what they look like I can go to the garage and take a photo. I looked at aftermarket ones when I first got the bike, but was put off by the fact they looked aftermarket!

In fact, here you go.

I also took a photo of the invoice so you can see the part number. You’ll also need two of the longer bolts to secure them which are the second entry.

Sad news Tony.....I was so looking forward to seeing what you would do with a new Speed Twin. I was a tad worried about the CCM talk though.......lovely bikes but definitely a +1 bike rather than an 'only bike'.

Can't say I blame you though, your 9T is quite special........particularly that colour, I'm a sucker for Orange.

Looking forward to our next ride....sometime soon?

In fact, here you go.

I also took a photo of the invoice so you can see the part number. You’ll also need two of the longer bolts to secure them which are the second entry.

Ah - thanks very much, John. It seems that you have a set of spacers sitting underneath the lower clamp which aren't fitted normally to the Classic. That's what my Helibar risers are/do - save that they also come back about an inch and a half (which is why I bought them).

Food for thought, though, and to my knowledge nobody on the R9T forum has ever suggested the OEM Scrambler part as a solution for the Classic (and as an alternative to aftermarket risers).

This is mine, by the way...

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Sad news Tony.....I was so looking forward to seeing what you would do with a new Speed Twin. I was a tad worried about the CCM talk though.......lovely bikes but definitely a +1 bike rather than an 'only bike'.

Can't say I blame you though, your 9T is quite special........particularly that colour, I'm a sucker for Orange.

Looking forward to our next ride....sometime soon?
    Let's arrange something, Mark. You're probably right about the CCM, too.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th August 2020 at 12:55.

Ah - thanks very much, John. It seems that you have a set of spacers sitting underneath the lower clamp which aren't fitted normally to the Classic. That's what my Helibar risers are/do - save that they also come back about an inch and a half (which is why I bought them).

Food for thought, though, and to my knowledge nobody on the R9T forum has ever suggested the OEM Scrambler part as a solution for the Classic (and as an alternative to aftermarket risers).

This is mine, by the way...

Let's arrange something, Mark. You're probably right about the CCM, too.
    Hi Tony

Think there may be some misunderstanding as we have the same bike, i.e the straight full-fat R9T not the Pure/Scrambler/Diet version/etc.

Those spacers are the bar risers. My bars looked like yours before I fitted them. Some of the aftermarket ones do drag the bars back towards the rider, but for aesthetic reasons I didn't want them as I thought they looked fussy and very obviously aftermarket.

What these OEM risers do is lift the bars to take some of the weight off your wrists. You can also adjust the rake of the bars and pull them slightly back towards you as a result of them being higher, which reduces the reach to the bars in the first place, if that makes sense.

Hi Tony

Think there may be some misunderstanding as we have the same bike, i.e the straight full-fat R9T not the Pure/Scrambler/Diet version/etc.

Those spacers are the bar risers. My bars looked like yours before I fitted them. Some of the aftermarket ones do drag the bars back towards the rider, but for aesthetic reasons I didn't want them as I thought they looked fussy and very obviously aftermarket.

What these OEM risers do is lift the bars to take some of the weight off your wrists. You can also adjust the rake of the bars and pull them slightly back towards you as a result of them being higher, which reduces the reach to the bars in the first place, if that makes sense.
    I'm sorry, John - I did realise what you were showing me but having read my response it could certainly have been worded more clearly. Thanks mate.

As an aside, did you have to provide any additional play in the clutch or brake cables when you fitted them? I think my clutch lever has already been unclipped from the frame so would probably be okay, but on the brake side everything's cable-tied and would require a bit of messing-around with.

Younger Bro picked up his S1000XR TE yesterday. Looks like a great bit of kit for doing decent distances on road without the "off road" capability of the GS. Quite a bit lighter than the GS, but no featherweight.

I told him I'd be ditching the centre stand. I know they're useful, but it was massive & looked awful.

I'll give him a few months to get used to it before I start giving him stick about the width of his chicken strips etc. It's way too much bike for him in my view & I told him so before he bought it - several times.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I'm sorry, John - I did realise what you were showing me but having read my response it could certainly have been worded more clearly. Thanks mate.

As an aside, did you have to provide any additional play in the clutch or brake cables when you fitted them? I think my clutch lever has already been unclipped from the frame so would probably be okay, but on the brake side everything's cable-tied and would require a bit of messing-around with.
    Ah, glad we understand each other.

I did read on the forums that there might not be enough play, but in the end it was fine. Just required a slight fiddle with my clutch hose IIRC but nothing difficult to overcome.

Ah, glad we understand each other.

I did read on the forums that there might not be enough play, but in the end it was fine. Just required a slight fiddle with my clutch hose IIRC but nothing difficult to overcome.
    Great! I’ll be getting some new tyres fitted after another 1k miles or so and I’ll ask them to install these risers at the same time. They seem quite well priced for OEM parts, at least relatively speaking.

Great! I’ll be getting some new tyres fitted after another 1k miles or so and I’ll ask them to install these risers at the same time. They seem quite well priced for OEM parts, at least relatively speaking.
    Yes, not bad at all for BMW!

Master
    Lovely ride around N Wales today...👍

Master
    So 28 Deg C today , what could be better than an air-cooled 250cc air-cooled stroker plus exhausts to boil your preverbals ! after my ride this copy of Practical Sportsbikes arrived so I can bathe in KR1S love

Blog Entries
    So 28 Deg C today , what could be better than an air-cooled 250cc air-cooled stroker plus exhausts to boil your preverbals ! after my ride this copy of Practical Sportsbikes arrived so I can bathe in KR1S love

Ooh suddenly I'm 17 again............
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Managed to get some crash bungs on my 1997 Fireblade today...panels increasingly precious and I have a 100% record in dropping sports bikes.

Then pootled over to Hove on the Scout bobber to meet the missus on her lunch break, went for a swim, pootled back in swimming trunks. Carefully.

Master

Not suitable biking wear

Well very rare for me but.............

Took the monkey out yesterday, shorts, tee shirt, walking boots, no gloves, open face helmet. How did it feel , answer glorious, cool, relaxed.

How did it really feel, very nervous, Im sure more cars pulled out than normal and I felt sooooo exposed.

Probably better in the South of France or Italy where everyone rides like that.

Well very rare for me but.............

Took the monkey out yesterday, shorts, tee shirt, walking boots, no gloves, open face helmet. How did it feel , answer glorious, cool, relaxed.

How did it really feel, very nervous, Im sure more cars pulled out than normal and I felt sooooo exposed.

Probably better in the South of France or Italy where everyone rides like that.
    Sinking 3 litres of beer on the beach before heading back in some sturdy flip flops probably calms the nerves.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Sinking 3 litres of beer on the beach before heading back in some sturdy flip flops probably calms the nerves.
    3 Pints would probably do it for me! Yes you are right the flip flops seal the deal!

Master
    Took my Speed Twin in for its first service today, and annoyingly it had a nail in the rear tyre in a place that couldn't be plugged so have had to leave it with them till tomorrow as they needed to order the replacement tyre.

So I went home on their Street Triple RS loaner, which felt very much like my old one but a bit better in most ways. If I could get away with having two bikes I'd definitely get another! However... the TFT display... as I left the dealership the sun was right behind me and (a) it reflected of it straight into my vision and (b) it was completely unreadable as a result. Is that normal for these types of displays? I must say, one of the many things I like about the Speed Twin is the good old analogue clocks....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Took my Speed Twin in for its first service today, and annoyingly it had a nail in the rear tyre in a place that couldn't be plugged so have had to leave it with them till tomorrow as they needed to order the replacement tyre.

So I went home on their Street Triple RS loaner, which felt very much like my old one but a bit better in most ways. If I could get away with having two bikes I'd definitely get another! However... the TFT display... as I left the dealership the sun was right behind me and (a) it reflected of it straight into my vision and (b) it was completely unreadable as a result. Is that normal for these types of displays? I must say, one of the many things I like about the Speed Twin is the good old analogue clocks....
    I have TFT on the R1250GS and the Scrambler 1200. Personally I think the TFT suits the BMW but the Scrambler would probably be better with traditional clocks. Having said that, I don't have any particular issues with readability on either of them. The Scrambler TFT is adjustable for angle, which seems like an obvious thing to do, but BMW didn't do it...

Spent a while adding a tail tidy to the Scrambler yesterday and I have to say, I'm pleased with the outcome:

Next step is to change the indicators on the front (to match the new ones on the back) and think about some alternative mirrors.
    Last edited by downer; 13th August 2020 at 11:13.

Fantastic ! How to steal sales away from Suzuki and Yamaha....... add a cylinder! All those triples are design icons.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

I have the TFT on my Street RS and havent really noticed any issues no matter what the light levels or conditions. There may be a couple of seconds where the sun may reflect, but as you’re moving along this really isnt an issue I have noticed. The display angle can be adjusted as well like a previous poster has alluded to. Just my experiences.....

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    I have the TFT on my Street RS and havent really noticed any issues no matter what the light levels or conditions. There may be a couple of seconds where the sun may reflect, but as you’re moving along this really isnt an issue I have noticed. The display angle can be adjusted as well like a previous poster has alluded to. Just my experiences.....

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Similarly on my Street Triple - wonderful screen, actually, and I don't recall any instances of glare rendering it illegible. I did have it set to auto-contrast, mind.

Made the most of last weekends glorious weather for a ride around the stunning Somerset countryside. From my home in Bristol down to Wells via Street & Glastonbury. Then home taking in the awesome Cheddar Gorge.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Made the most of last weekends glorious weather for a ride around the stunning Somerset countryside. From my home in Bristol down to Wells via Street & Glastonbury. Then home taking in the awesome Cheddar Gorge.

Like it! I got a 2003 Multistrada recently and like the Terreblanche front end. Was looking at a nice 749 in the same dealer to add to the collection.

By the look of it, your middle cylinder is running a bit hot.

Like it! I got a 2003 Multistrada recently and like the Terreblanche front end. Was looking at a nice 749 in the same dealer to add to the collection.
    I love that original MS, especially if it has the Termi exhausts. A guy in the Ducati GB owners club just returned from a two week tour of Europe with his wife riding pillion. I know they were a marmite bike in the same way that the 749/999 line up.

Now, the designs look quite modern and so much more interesting. For me it's quite a comfortable bike too even at 6' 3" Not heavy on the wrists like my 748 was. About the best £3k I've spent.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post

Stuart
    Aah, I didn't realise the screen angle was adjustable, maybe that is all that was needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    I love that original MS, especially if it has the Termi exhausts. A guy in the Ducati GB owners club just returned from a two week tour of Europe with his wife riding pillion. I know they were a marmite bike in the same way that the 749/999 line up.

Now, the designs look quite modern and so much more interesting. For me it's quite a comfortable bike too even at 6' 3" Not heavy on the wrists like my 748 was. About the best £3k I've spent.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    They do indeed, check the values of the 999R over the past couple of years. Your 749 looks great value for £3k.

My Multistrada has the Termi exhausts and I agree they look great. Bought it with 8k on the clock so it's very mint. Would have preferred the later S model with Ohlins but beggars can't be choosers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    By the look of it, your middle cylinder is running a bit hot.
    I thought the fact it said 'KH' on the side was enough to know that the middle pot was too hot and about to seize.
    Or maybe that was just the way my mates who had them (250s and 400s) rode them?

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I thought the fact it said 'KH' on the side was enough to know that the middle pot was too hot and about to seize.
    Or maybe that was just the way my mates who had them (250s and 400s) rode them?
    That was what informed me too

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    My CBT is booked for 15th August!
    I was going to wish you 'good luck' but it's not a test as such; it's training so 'enjoy' might be more appropriate.