closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 131 of 352 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 6,501 to 6,550 of 17581

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    It's to obey emissions standards. Different countries/regions have different standards which are programmed into the ECU and this gets around it.
    Oh, similar to what VW do with their emmisions?

Master
    Enjoying views of the wildlife earlier today - Winnat's Pass, Derbyshire...

And the somewhat inappropriately named highest village in Britain (allegedly)...

200 miles round the Black Mountains on the Bobber Black demo.

The Rocket III was broken :-(

There are some great bikes in this thread but that Ducati is the icing on the cake for me.
    Absolutely stunning. There's something about a well engineered streetfighter and its uniqueness that the manufacturers cant touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Spotted this at J&S a few weeks back...... how’s about that welding on the titanium exhaust.??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    They fool the modern fuel injection systems, which tend to run very lean, into thinking the ambient temp is lower than it actually is.

The system then makes the bike run a little richer, and correspondingly there’s a slight increase in performance.
    Also help give smoother throttle response with less popping and f@rting if you fit more ‘free flowing’ silencers.

Vance and Hines do something called a Fuelpak which is a programmable version. Had one on a Harley and it literally transformed the way it ran with free flowing air filter and exhaust.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    200 miles round the Black Mountains on the Bobber Black demo.
    200 miles on a Bobber...you must be one tough cookie...🤪🤪

260 miles of mainly motorway and dual carriageway on the RR today. My recently operated on left hand was giving me plenty of gip and even with my perforated jacket on it was warm. Not much fun but certainly quicker than driving.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

200 miles on a Bobber...you must be one tough cookie...浪浪
    You're not the first person to mention that..

I test rode a Bobber Black last year and dismissed it as, in my opinion it fell significantly short of the Harley Street Bob that I'd tested the weekend before and they were, within a few pounds, the same price. My main criticisms were the cramped riding position and the jarring uncomfortable ride. Just out of interest I rode the Street Scrambler immediately afterwards and loved it so much I bought one. Not what I'd expected when I left home!

Roll on 12 months and the SS was in for its annual service. A Rocket III was unavailable (puncture) so the dealer made a Bobber available instead. As I'd already agreed a day out with the lad on his bike, I wasn't looking forward to it at all, and the first few seconds hunched onto the bike reminded me of one of the reasons why I'd not bought one last year.

As the day progressed, my opinion changed though. I relaxed into the riding position and much to my surprise started to find it fairly comfortable. You do take almost all of your weight through your bum though, and I did have to do some riding stood up to get the circulation back.

Riding around I did find the suspension ok on the smooth roads, but annoying where the road surface was broken and I also found the brakes surprisingly poor, but that might have been because the bike was so new and they'd not bedded in yet.

I really liked the 1200 motor though; nowhere near as punchy as my 1200 BMW, but powerful in a usable intimidating way.

By the time I got back to the dealer yesterday my opinion of the bike had changed; I did find it a pretty comfortable position and I actually enjoyed the day in a way I'd not expected. It's definitely a bike for 50-60mph back road cruising rather than motorway blasting, though the suspension isn't quite right for the poor state of British roads.

Getting back on the Scrambler it felt a little flat, but at the first rut in the road I was happy that I'd made the right choice.

The Scrambler is booked in for a little warranty work soon (front tube and an oil leak) so may get to try the route again on the Rocket that time

Master
    Pretty much as I found on the BB, except that the forward controls made it better for me with my knackered knees...

The TFC though fixes many of the suspension issues, the ohlins front and rear and the massive brembos make it so that at least you can adjust stuff to get a better ride...

I still don’t enjoy anything over 100 miles though, but that’s more to do with my physical limitations than the bike.

Great fun scratching around here in N Wales, and the extra power over the normal Bobber makes it surprisingly sprightly in sport mode.

The Bobber is a great bike, but I wouldn’t want it as my only ride as it’s just not practical enough.

Master
    Yesterday I attempted to transfer a route from Google maps to my BMW (Garmin) Nav VI. It wasn't a complicated route but the process was pretty much a total failure.

My method...

1. Made the route in Google Maps.
    2. Converted the route to a GPX file using "mapstoGPX.com"
    3. Imported the GPX into Garmin Basecamp and then, with the Nav VI connected to the laptop, used "send to device" in Basecamp.
    4. On the Nav VI, somehow converted the file to a "trip" (not sure how I did this step, but it involved the Nav Vi calculating the route).
    5. When I was ready to go, I went into "Apps" on the Nav VI, selected the saved trip and pressed go. I also made sure the Nav VI had "route re-calculation" switched off, as I'd read somewhere that I should do that.
    6. For the first couple of miles, the route showed successfully on the Nav VI and the voice directions were correct. However, pretty quickly it all went wrong. Initially, voice guidance disappeared although the route still showed on the map and then the route disappeared and I was left with "Head to Congleton Road" as the only instruction...

So, a long-winded process that didn't really do anything for me.

Anyone got a definitive guide on how to do this?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    260 miles of mainly motorway and dual carriageway on the RR today. My recently operated on left hand was giving me plenty of gip and even with my perforated jacket on it was warm. Not much fun but certainly quicker than driving.
    I had one of these fitted to help my hand, maybe worth a look.

I had a perforated jacket on yesterday when it get past a certain heat you are better off with a solid jacket.

http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/...nders_CSC.html

I test rode a Bobber Black last year and dismissed it as, in my opinion it fell significantly short of the Harley Street Bob that I'd tested the weekend before and they were, within a few pounds, the same price. My main criticisms were the cramped riding position and the jarring uncomfortable ride. Just out of interest I rode the Street Scrambler immediately afterwards and loved it so much I bought one. Not what I'd expected when I left home!

Roll on 12 months and the SS was in for its annual service. A Rocket III was unavailable (puncture) so the dealer made a Bobber available instead. As I'd already agreed a day out with the lad on his bike, I wasn't looking forward to it at all, and the first few seconds hunched onto the bike reminded me of one of the reasons why I'd not bought one last year.

As the day progressed, my opinion changed though. I relaxed into the riding position and much to my surprise started to find it fairly comfortable. You do take almost all of your weight through your bum though, and I did have to do some riding stood up to get the circulation back.

Riding around I did find the suspension ok on the smooth roads, but annoying where the road surface was broken and I also found the brakes surprisingly poor, but that might have been because the bike was so new and they'd not bedded in yet.

I really liked the 1200 motor though; nowhere near as punchy as my 1200 BMW, but powerful in a usable intimidating way.

By the time I got back to the dealer yesterday my opinion of the bike had changed; I did find it a pretty comfortable position and I actually enjoyed the day in a way I'd not expected. It's definitely a bike for 50-60mph back road cruising rather than motorway blasting, though the suspension isn't quite right for the poor state of British roads.

Getting back on the Scrambler it felt a little flat, but at the first rut in the road I was happy that I'd made the right choice.

The Scrambler is booked in for a little warranty work soon (front tube and an oil leak) so may get to try the route again on the Rocket that time
    Somewhat surprisingly (for me, at least), I'm giving some serious thought to the CCM Spitfire Stealth Bobber at the moment, having swung a leg over a couple of them earlier in the week.

I'm not 100% sold on the stock end can but think I can switch that for a beautifully-welded alternative from the CCM Six instead.

The riding position is more like a very upright and comfortable street bike than an actual bobber, and the ergonomics (with a 790mm seat height, mid-mounted pegs and swept back bars) are absolutely perfect for me. There's also an option to add an Ohlins rear shock together with a second disc on the front, which would make it a far better spec for not a huge amount of money.

Interestingly, whilst Carl Fogarty puts his name to - and personally signs - the CCM Foggy models, he actually owns a Bobber and reckons its the best of the CCM bunch.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 8th August 2020 at 12:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Yesterday I attempted to transfer a route from Google maps to my BMW (Garmin) Nav VI. It wasn't a complicated route but the process was pretty much a total failure
    Anyone got a definitive guide on how to do this?
    I use basecamp to generate the route, and then transfer to the zumo...

I’ve learnt a lot from watching YouTube videos..

This guy gives good instructions... https://youtu.be/U75KTv-dxB0

Master

Thanks. I'll have a look at that video in a bit. In a worst case scenario I suppose I could read the Nav VI manual...

Master
    Basecamp ranks as one of the top 10 worst pieces of software ever written. Clearly written by a hardcore engineer/coder who has absolutely no sense of common sense or usability.

Pretty much as I found on the BB, except that the forward controls made it better for me with my knackered knees....
    I too suffer from knackered knees, so like a good stretch from bum to footrest. I was expecting the stock BB to cause a problem but it was surprisingly OK.

The TFC though fixes many of the suspension issues, the ohlins front and rear and the massive brembos make it so that at least you can adjust stuff to get a better ride...
    Ah yes, M50s would have made a huge difference (I have them on my BMW) and the Ohlins would too.

The Bobber is a great bike, but I wouldn’t want it as my only ride as it’s just not practical enough.
    Yes, I'm thinking now that I'd quite like a Bobber, but it would have to be a TFC, and it would likely have to be a "third" bike, but as I already have four then maybe not

This is going to seriously piss me off.

Fancy machined brake fluid reservoir fitted...

Writing on the top faces directly away from me.

Master
    ^^^ Yep. That would annoy me more than a plastic reservoir!

Fitted a new fuel pump this morning and took it out for a quick spin.

I think I need something a little more sedate!

Are there any riders here that suffer with carpal tunnel syndrome or similar?

I have suffered mildly for a while and use stretches and splints when it gets niggly but I’ve always been able to manage.

I gave up the Triumph Sprint ST1050 that I had as that was hurting my wrists more and more, since then I’ve had a Victory Vegas and a BMW 1200GS, neither of which gave me any real trouble, but to be honest they were rode so infrequently that they wouldn’t.

I’ve recently started using more power tools with my work, core drilling 5” flue holes etc, this can cause some issues but again, I seem to be able to manage it ok.

I’ve now got a bike that I ride regularly, it’s a great riding position, not heavy on the wrists and comfortable but it seems combined with the work changes and increased riding I am experiencing more pain than I can manage.

The last few times I’ve been out on the bike, I’ve managed about 10 minutes before I’m numb from my finger tips to my elbow, I’m waking in the night in pain and losing feeing in the arm and in the morning my fingers need manipulating and freeing a little to get going.

Any tips from the collective, other than a visit to the doctors or surgery?

Grip Puppies.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Amazing motors those Rotax's....and nooOooooooo!!!....you don't need anything more sedate....they're awsome just as they are!! Your Gen1 is an appreciating asset btw....getting difficult to get a good one these days. Light, flickable, great P2W ratio...what's not to like??
    One of my biggest regrets was chopping in my Tuono.
    Aprilia as a company suck chunks service and after sales wise, any calls you make get bumped to Italy to be answered by their office cleaner...rubbish. Dealers too leave much to be desired. Will never buy Piaggio again.
    13 years of ownership, ended up doing all my own servicing, engine rebuilds, everything. Quite easy really as there are a few amazing Aprilia forums with a wealth of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Grip Puppies.

R
    And perhaps one of those Scottoiler Cramp Busters so you can ease your grip on the throttle whilst you’re riding. I have one that I sometimes use on longer journeys and it works very well.

Last edited by learningtofly; 8th August 2020 at 18:05.

Same.
    Basecamp can be a bit complex compared to some apps, but it is good.
    Make sure your maps in basecamp match those on your zumo and, once the route(s) has been imported into zumo, open up the route to check it hasn't changed when being (re)calculated by the zumo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Beast! I once read a review that said “ the Aprilia had more grunt than a corn fed hog” Im not really sure what else you can add to that :))

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Beast! I once read a review that said “ the Aprilia had more grunt than a corn fed hog” Im not really sure what else you can add to that :))
    It’s got the typical v twin grunt even though it’s the base model rather than an R or Factory.

You certainly need to keep an eye on the speedo. It’s smoother than I thought it would be too. It’s the first time I’ve ridden it having hit it MOT’d just before lockdown and the fuel pump becoming another casualty of the Corona virus!

It was an enjoyable ride but the idle was set too low so it wanted to cut out at low revs. That’s sorted now so it should be better on the next run.

It’s painful on the wrists at slow speed and I was getting pins and needles in my right hand but it’s stable through bends and I found myself starting to get into a racing crouch and leaning off a bit. Maybe I need to get it on a track!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Basecamp ranks as one of the top 10 worst pieces of software ever written. Clearly written by a hardcore engineer/coder who has absolutely no sense of common sense or usability.
    Well it was good enough for today’s 160 mile round trip and took me on the exact route I’d input from the computer to the zumo..

Master
    Well it was good enough for today’s 160 mile round trip and took me on the exact route I’d input from the computer to the zumo..
    Some great scenery there.

Out of interest, what does the Zumo do if you deviate from the planned route - for example heading up a side road to get fuel or whatever?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Some great scenery there.

Out of interest, what does the Zumo do if you deviate from the planned route - for example heading up a side road to get fuel or whatever?
    It depends how you have it set.... I have it so that it asks if I want to re-route, and I say no. If you say yes it re-routes the whole route and spoils your day.

Master

Surreal breakfast ride out today

Went to see Elvis, Marilyn and the Blues Brothers today.

Master
    It depends how you have it set.... I have it so that it asks if I want to re-route, and I say no. If you say yes it re-routes the whole route and spoils your day.
    Gotcha, thanks.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Butlins?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Went to see Elvis, Marilyn and the Blues Brothers today.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Butlins?
    It felt that way Ben. And the chilli dog was....erm....interesting.

Master

Bit hot

Been bimbling (with a bit of bombing) around the Chilterns.
    This view is from North of Aylesbury looking east to the Chiltern Hills.

Hot as you like - just got to keep moving.
    (I wear Knox Aero jacket which seems to combine decent protection and cooling)

R9T isn't an "all day" bike, but certainly comfortable enough for 3.5 hours this afternoon.

As a heads up, I bought a couple of the new Vodafone Curve GPS trackers to attach to my bikes.
    They're pretty cheap - £20 to buy + £2/month
    And you get all the tracking features you'd expect.
    Location history, GPS zones.

I'm not paranoid about my bikes - but this seemed a pretty easy way to keep an eye on the them.
    https://eshop.v.vodafone.com/uk/curve-gps-tracker

Doesn't that depend on whether you have set intermediate way points (as opposed to shaping nodes) along the route and not just at the start and finish?

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    R9T isn't an "all day" bike, but certainly comfortable enough for 3.5 hours this afternoon.

As a heads up, I bought a couple of the new Vodafone Curve GPS trackers to attach to my bikes.
    They're pretty cheap - £20 to buy + £2/month
    And you get all the tracking features you'd expect.
    Location history, GPS zones.

I'm not paranoid about my bikes - but this seemed a pretty easy way to keep an eye on the them.
    https://eshop.v.vodafone.com/uk/curve-gps-tracker
    Looks like a good option except for the need to charge it every week.

decatted the Street Scrambler this afternoon.

Not because I particularly wanted it decatted, but because I was bored.

I'll likely recat it in a few days once I get annoyed by the noise.

Master
    Looks like a good option except for the need to charge it every week.
    Correct - without being connected to a charging point, it lasts 7 days.
    I leave it attached (hidden) to a USB port so it gets charged whenever I ride it.
    TBH only really need it when I'm taking the bike away as bike is rarely left when I'm just on a ride.
    So it wins in terms of convenience.

Device is about 3cm diameter so easy to secrete on the bike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Doesn't that depend on whether you have set intermediate way points (as opposed to shaping nodes) along the route and not just at the start and finish?
    When I generate the route I use lots of waypoints to make sure I stay on the roads I’ve chosen. But even then, if the Garmin asks if you’d like to re-route, and you say yes, it will change some of the route especially if there is some distance between way points.

I’m still learning, but up to now, when I tell it NOT to re-route, it keeps the route as inputted.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Are there any riders here that suffer with carpal tunnel syndrome or similar?

I have suffered mildly for a while and use stretches and splints when it gets niggly but I’ve always been able to manage.

I gave up the Triumph Sprint ST1050 that I had as that was hurting my wrists more and more, since then I’ve had a Victory Vegas and a BMW 1200GS, neither of which gave me any real trouble, but to be honest they were rode so infrequently that they wouldn’t.

I’ve recently started using more power tools with my work, core drilling 5” flue holes etc, this can cause some issues but again, I seem to be able to manage it ok.

I’ve now got a bike that I ride regularly, it’s a great riding position, not heavy on the wrists and comfortable but it seems combined with the work changes and increased riding I am experiencing more pain than I can manage.

The last few times I’ve been out on the bike, I’ve managed about 10 minutes before I’m numb from my finger tips to my elbow, I’m waking in the night in pain and losing feeing in the arm and in the morning my fingers need manipulating and freeing a little to get going.

Any tips from the collective, other than a visit to the doctors or surgery?
    Have the op. You’ll have a bit of pain on a long ride like I did Friday, for a short while afterwards, but long term - well worth it.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Took my TL out today .... beautiful riding day. Lovely while you are moving but my arse gets boiled at slow speeds. If anybody ever wonders what a shopping trolley with a 1000cc V Twin would drive like they should ride a TL to give them an idea!! Gotta love that big arse.. or not. I do though:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lovely, old school bike and that one looks really well cared for.

A totally underrated bike in the day so quite rare now.

Another V twin from the turn of the century.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Took my TL out today .... beautiful riding day. Lovely while you are moving but my arse gets boiled at slow speeds. If anybody ever wonders what a shopping trolley with a 1000cc V Twin would drive like they should ride a TL to give them an idea!! Gotta love that big arse.. or not. I do though:)
    I watched a YouTube video the other week of a chap test riding a TL with 168k miles on the clock... the bike looked fantastic, ran perfectly and was still pulling 3rd gear wheelies off the throttle. Suzuki know how to build a solid motor..

That's it, bike sold, sad day. Hopefully the same again in a year or two, maybe even an R9T or a classic Triumph for a change.

^^^ Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That's it, bike sold, sad day. Hopefully the same again in a year or two, maybe even an R9T or a classic Triumph for a change.
    I see you managed to sell it fully farkled which (depending on what you got for it) was a result!

A lot less faffing about with spanners, adverts and the Royal Mail.

This is going to seriously piss me off.

Fancy machined brake fluid reservoir fitted...

Writing on the top faces directly away from me.
    I had this fitted to my Speed Twin and the writing faces me

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I had this fitted to my Speed Twin and the writing faces me
    Mine too......

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I see you managed to sell it fully farkled which (depending on what you got for it) was a result!

A lot less faffing about with spanners, adverts and the Royal Mail.
    A tiny touch lower than what I asked but happier selling with farkles. Would have got more money putting it back to stock but a year later half the stuff would have been unsold in the shed. The R9T uses old GS headers so I was tempted to keep the headers in case I got an updated R9T but wasn't worth the effort.

Master
    I watched a YouTube video the other week of a chap test riding a TL with 168k miles on the clock... the bike looked fantastic, ran perfectly and was still pulling 3rd gear wheelies off the throttle. Suzuki know how to build a solid motor..
    Indeed, the motor is solid:) . Mines only done 9500 miles from new so most likely not even properly broken in yet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk