closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 130 of 354 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180230 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,500 of 17673

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    It might not match an older red but Humbrol gloss red enamel paint from my local model shop was as close a match as it gets (or got).
    Thanks, I think I used to have a tiny pot for touch up on an old Monster Beetle. Will have a look and see if I’ve still got it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post

Had a nice ride out around the Peak District on my new (to me, it’s a 2003 bike) Multistrada today.

Struggling to find a decent source of touch up paint in the correct red. Does anyone know where I can get one?
    As others have said , use a similar colour have to hand, I have amassed loads of paint sticks , touch ups over the years. If its a critical part, you will struggle to better these guys, but they are not cheap. Be aware if the scratch or mark is down to the steel or plastic , you may need a base coat.

https://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    An absolutely shameful attempt at a valet from the bike shop. No wonder Freddy Trott is booked up.
    Unsuprised here. NOBODY touches my bikes except for me, unless absolutely necessary.
    I've seen way too much shoddy work.

Nice little bimble through the streets of north/north west London today, and the bike was looking lovely as always. I must admit I think it's probably more of a looker than the Speed Twin that I'm still considering.

Thanks, I think I used to have a tiny pot for touch up on an old Monster Beetle. Will have a look and see if I’ve still got it!
    This is the one I used - other shades are available:
    https://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/shop/p...mel-paint.html

A nice mural in Comps sur Artuby, Provence last week...........................

Just got a little grass under my wheels today

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Just got a little grass under my wheels today

I'll see your 44 and raise you 22...........

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I'll see your 44 and raise you 22...........
    And to think I was smug when I messaged someone with 43 on theirs yesterday :-(

I'm supposed to be picking up another that's black & silver (aluminium) this week. i wonder if it's too late to get them to put 67 on :-)

Could you perhaps do me a favour and measure the diameter of the handlebar brace? The metal bit down the middle, not the sponge & faux leather.

As an aside, it looks like they've changed the design of the seat - done away with the branding on the back etc. Or is yours recovered?
    Last edited by Gyp; 3rd August 2020 at 11:07.

Bonnie annual service and MOT today so took advantage of the opportunity to try out the Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro.
    Very nice bike, super easy to ride (maybe too easy) and a significant improvement over the old 800.

Another day another test ride...a variation on a theme:

And to think I was smug when I messaged someone with 43 on theirs yesterday :-(

I'm supposed to be picking up another that's black & silver (aluminium) this week. i wonder if it's too late to get them to put 67 on :-)

Could you perhaps do me a favour and measure the diameter of the handlebar brace? The metal bit down the middle, not the sponge & faux leather.

As an aside, it looks like they've changed the design of the seat - done away with the branding on the back etc. Or is yours recovered?
    I'll have a measure of the handlebar brace when I get a mo later.

Re the seat, I've had it recovered in leather by a Brian from a small company called Racetag 76. It's the same guy that 'Dutch' mentions here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Op...U3w&index=1992

He did a great job and turnaround was really quick. I'm very please with the result, so much better than the standard cloth and more comfy that the bench seat alternative.

I'll have a measure of the handlebar brace when I get a mo later.
    Ta. I'm hoping the answer is 12mm

Master
    A full day cleaning and maintaining.... bikes washed and dried, chains cleaned, adjusted and lubed, tyre pressures checked, oil checked and bikes wiped over and polished...👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    A full day cleaning and maintaining.... bikes washed and dried, chains cleaned, adjusted and lubed, tyre pressures checked, oil checked and bikes wiped over and polished...
    I thought about doing similar...the thought didn't last long

I’ve been mainly assassinating the flying insect population of Sussex today. Have pencilled in some time on Wednesday to try and remove the evidence.

Apparently I'm going to Caffeine and Machine tomorrow night :-)

Apparently I'm going to Caffeine and Machine tomorrow night :-)
    Lucky git!

I'm off to Bolton with Howard tomorrow for a CCM factory tour, and also to have a play with their full range of bikes to see if anything tempts me enough to part with the Beemer. They're lovely things.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 4th August 2020 at 08:33.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Lucky git!

I'm off to Bolton for a CCM factory tour with Howard tomorrow, and also to have a play with their full range of bikes to see if anything tempts me enough to part with the Beemer. They're lovely things.
    I think you've got the better deal.

I'm going with my son and his uni pals that'll all be cooing over cars that have all the comfort and practicality removed and neons installed.

I'm already practicing my "you couldn't get that over a speed bump" and "there's no room for the shopping with all those daft boom boxes in the boot" statements.

I'm off to Bolton with Howard tomorrow for a CCM factory tour, and also to have a play with their full range of bikes to see if anything tempts me enough to part with the Beemer. They're lovely things.
    Would it have to be 'instead of' rather than 'as well as'?

Master
    Having owned the Scrambler all of a couple of weeks, the only flaw in the experience has been a tendency for the bike to stall or feel as if it is about to stall - apparently a common issue with many variants of the 1200 engine. Having read about the "booster plug" (and seen recommendations in this thread) I decided to give one a try, even if my instinct was that it may be a snake oil product.

Easy to fit, although on the Scrambler, it entails removing the exhaust silencers, it has definitely solved the issue. Before, the bike was most likely to stall in slow manoeuvres when going from closed throttle to light opening. I could hear/feel the bike hesitate slightly. In most cases, there was no stall but it was definitely annoying, even if it was possible to drive around it by giving it a bit more revs/using the clutch more than necessary.

Anyway, the booster plug has ironed it out, which makes the bike a bit nicer to ride in town. Some say it makes the engine better at other speeds, but I can't say I've noticed that too much.

Can't post in this thread without a couple of gratuitous pictures...

Master
    The Triumph stall issue is very strange... my new Bobber stalled all the time, booster plug has fixed it.... the speedmaster which uses the same engine has been fine from day one...

Craftsman
    The Triumph stall issue is very strange... my new Bobber stalled all the time, booster plug has fixed it.... the speedmaster which uses the same engine has been fine from day one...
    Ditto my Tiger 800 initially. There were a bunch of map releases within the first 3 years or so but the best improvement was also the booster plug. I knew it worked as I helped develop it for the Tiger 1050 and that was a real jerky so and so initially.

Master
    Strange. I tested two Scramblers and both were pretty much the same. It wasn't a massive problem but it's good to get it gone for a relatively low cost.

Another day another test ride...a variation on a theme:

I’ll be getting one of these as my next bike ( when pre-used are within budget ) I’ve got the plate T9O OGT, just need the bike now ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Strange. I tested two Scramblers and both were pretty much the same. It wasn't a massive problem but it's good to get it gone for a relatively low cost.
    Booster plugs are popular with the owners of small 800cc BMW parallel twins. The driving force is not stalling but a snatchy throttle off tickover. It’s manageable on the road but if you go off road it causes lurching and instability. Mine occasionally catches me out , even in 2nd at say 30 about 5 degrees of throttle makes the bike surge forward and often catches the pillion of guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    I’ll be getting one of these as my next bike ( when pre-used are within budget ) I’ve got the plate T9O OGT, just need the bike now ;-)

Similarly I bought V2 GYP for the Harley I was getting for my 40th.

It went on my car.

It stayed on my car.

I never bought the Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post

Have you ridden one? I ask because I found a bit of trim/frame protection was positioned right on the seam of my knee making it quite uncomfortable to grip with the legs/knees (you can make it out in my picture) - the same trim isn't on the Tiger GT Pro.
    Otherwise, the Tiger 900 is a super range.

Master
    My mate passed his test in Nov 18..... amongst other bikes he bought a speed triple 675.

This is his 3rd puncture on that bike.. how the hell he managed to find this I’ll never know, but both prongs went through the tyre that I fitted for him a few weeks back following the last puncture...

how the hell he managed to find this I’ll never know...
    Weird isn't it?... I had a 20 year spell, with absolutely NO punctures...then over the last few years I've had loads.
    I had 4 on the CB in less than three months ffs.
    I've come to the conclusion that there's a much bigger amount of puncture causing debris on the roads these days.
    Also, I've bought a 2ft long extra strong magnet to regularly sweep the areas at the back of the house where I garage the bikes.
    (Was amazed at all the tiny bits picked up)

Street Trip is a fabulous choice btw!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Weird isn't it?...
    Street Trip is a fabulous choice btw!
    Yep last month I fitted a new pair of Dunlop’s for him £243 quid plus £20 for fitting.

Just had delivered a new Dunlop rear £140 and another £10 for fitting..

Plus he’ll have to treat me to a Chinese takeaway for removing and refitting his wheel..😈😈

Master
    Spotted this at J&S a few weeks back...... how’s about that welding on the titanium exhaust.??

Master

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Booster plugs are popular with the owners of small 800cc BMW parallel twins. The driving force is not stalling but a snatchy throttle off tickover. It’s manageable on the road but if you go off road it causes lurching and instability. Mine occasionally catches me out , even in 2nd at say 30 about 5 degrees of throttle makes the bike surge forward and often catches the pillion of guard.
    The fitting of a Booster Plug finally cured the problem I had on a BMW 1150, a flat spot between 2,000 - 3,000 rpm which was a real pain in traffic causing the bike to stutter. I also fitted one on my first Triumph T120 for the same problem, however my second T120 didn't need one as it ran fine.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Pretty popular mod for the R9T too, actually. I've been mildly tempted myself, but only as a consequence of perceived wisdom - I've not really noticed a problem on my bike.

Master
    Pretty popular mod for the R9T too, actually. I've been mildly tempted myself, but only as a consequence of perceived wisdom - I've not really noticed a problem on my bike.
    If you haven’t noticed a problem then don’t bother wasting money.

My Bobber had an issue with stalling. Booster plug fixed it
    The Speedmaster has been fine from day one. No point in spending £120 quid trying to fix a non existent issue..👍👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    Forgot to mention, my old neighbour recently inherited (and sold) a Vincent Black Shadow - I understand that model might be classed as a 'grail'?

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Forgot to mention, my old neighbour recently inherited (and sold) a Vincent Black Shadow - I understand that model might be classed as a 'grail'?
    Definitely, and a very valuable one, even in poor condition.

I hope he got a fair price.

My mate passed his test in Nov 18..... amongst other bikes he bought a speed triple 675.

This is his 3rd puncture on that bike.. how the hell he managed to find this I’ll never know, but both prongs went through the tyre that I fitted for him a few weeks back following the last puncture...

Is there a branch of Screwfix along the road??

My last puncture, over a year ago.............
    Bought new tyres online, and kept for 6months
    Arranged to have them fitted locally on Wednesday
    Went out to the garage on Tues eve to secure the new tyres to the rear rack/pillion
    Noticed that rear tyre was mostly deflated, so pumped it up.
    Wed morn, topped up the rear tyre and rode to the appointment.

If you're gonna have a puncture - have it at the end of the tyre's life and have the new tyres on strapped to the bike !

Made it to Caffeine and Machine last night

All very relaxed, good social distancing and the unexpected bonus of Eat Out to Help Out. Half price food and non alcoholic drinks. Bonus.

Lad's mate turned up on an Indian

I like big butts, I just can't lie

And got a bit arty on the way home

Master
    With the weight of the rider onboard surely the number plate will be pressing the hugger against the tyre?

106 miles. “Sausage sandwich and a tea please.” Nom nom nom slurp slurp. 106 miles home. Proper lovely day.

Sorry Gyp, just remembered this. I don't have a micrometer or anything fancy to measure diameter but my trusty old steel rule says that yes it is 12mm.

Sorry Gyp, just remembered this. I don't have a micrometer or anything fancy to measure diameter but my trusty old steel rule says that yes it is 12mm.

Oh, thanks.

However I'd actually forgotten I'd asked.

I had 12mm confirmed elsewhere but in hindsight I wish the answer had not been 12mm... I bought the brace and, having fitted it and my Touratech GPS mount, I've discovered it's no closer to the headstock than my SW-Motech mount so the result still isn't quite how I'd like it..

:-(

Oh, thanks.

However I'd actually forgotten I'd asked.

I had 12mm confirmed elsewhere but in hindsight I wish the answer had not been 12mm... I bought the brace and, having fitted it and my Touratech GPS mount, I've discovered it's no closer to the headstock than my SW-Motech mount so the result still isn't quite how I'd like it..

:-(
    Oh well....at least I now know it’s 12mm if I ever need to know that :-)

Actually I quite like the look with the padding off too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh well....at least I now know it’s 12mm if I ever need to know that :-)

Actually I quite like the look with the padding off too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Indeed.

Looks fine from the riding position

But it is somewhat up in the air

A ride out this evening to the Plymouth Bike Night, such a wide range of two (and three) wheelers and a great location on the Hoe.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That looks like a great bike meet.

Can someone tell me what a Booster plug is?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    That looks like a great bike meet.

Can someone tell me what a Booster plug is?
    They fool the modern fuel injection systems, which tend to run very lean, into thinking the ambient temp is lower than it actually is.

The system then makes the bike run a little richer, and correspondingly there’s a slight increase in performance.

They fool the modern fuel injection systems, which tend to run very lean, into thinking the ambient temp is lower than it actually is.

The system then makes the bike run a little richer, and correspondingly there’s a slight increase in performance.
    Why do all these bikes come out of the factory with these obvious issues?
    Seems crazy you`ve got to lay down wedge to fix a bike that`s not running correctly straight out of the showroom....

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Why do all these bikes come out of the factory with these obvious issues?
    Seems crazy you`ve got to lay down wedge to fix a bike that`s not running correctly straight out of the showroom....
    It's to obey emissions standards. Different countries/regions have different standards which are programmed into the ECU and this gets around it.