closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 354 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Those are stunning reductions/ contributions on some classy bikes. September first month of the new reg plus last month in the quarter, must be a key sales month.
    I got 3100 off my BMW, could've got another 500 if I took finance

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I got 3100 off my BMW, could've got another 500 if I took finance

Was that an advertised offer, or the result of a negotiation? New or used?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Was that an advertised offer, or the result of a negotiation? New or used?
    New, negotiation and a new plate month combined with a model that they had 4 of and are struggling to shift due to riding position

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    New, negotiation and a new plate month combined with a model that they had 4 of and are struggling to shift due to riding position

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Cafe racer?
    Possibly the most beautiful but hardest to live with day to day. As a fun toy absolutely brilliant.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Cafe racer?
    Possibly the most beautiful but hardest to live with day to day. As a fun toy absolutely brilliant.
    ...and conspicuously the greatest reduction in store yesterday.

It's gorgeous, but i reckon my neck would last 5 miles tops.

I suspect I'm not alone. Looking on Autotrader, there are more R9t Racers for sale than any other R9t variant. Of the 45 for sale, all are over the price that Oxford BMW were punting them out at yesterday.

If I'd have spent £11k on one, I'd be more than a little frustrated to see them being sold new for £7,500.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

I suspect I'm not alone. Looking on Autotrader, there are more R9t Racers for sale than any other R9t variant. Of the 45 for sale, all are over the price that Oxford BMW were punting them out at yesterday.

If I'd have spent £11k on one, I'd be more than a little frustrated to see them being sold new for £7,500.
    Yeah racer, it's so beautiful and it's my toy. Luckily it doesn't kill my back and I just had to have it! Plus that boxer is just so charming

some cafe racers and bobbers looks good (esp ones that are manufacter built) , user built ones often look like a horror story gone wrong and both have the practicality of a pair of glass slippers on an ice skating ring.
    good to see that some have colour coded seats and tyre sets , having a brown seat is going to be essential when you try to go round a corner on one with knobbley tyres :)

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    some cafe racers and bobbers looks good (esp ones that are manufacter built) , user built ones often look like a horror story gone wrong and both have the practicality of a pair of glass slippers on an ice skating ring.
    good to see that some have colour coded seats and tyre sets , having a brown seat is going to be essential when you try to go round a corner on one with knobbley tyres :)
    This is meant to be a joy to ride - straight out of the factory.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

Dont know if you remember what KTM did to the 1290 s in Dec of 2017. Put one mile on the bikes pre reg them and knocked £5.5 of the £16k list. This was was current model tft dash luggage etc.

There was one guy on Ukgser negotiating with Austria on how they were going to assist in the mitigation of his depreciation!. My pal bought one kept his ktm 1190 and never looked back

This is meant to be a joy to ride - straight out of the factory.

yup ive tried the triumph bobber , as i said some manufactered ones are decent enough - its a very smooth ride and would make a good second bike ( for me) - it all comes down to what you want the bike for- as an only bike i think i'd find it boring after a while as its quite a sedate ride , cant remember if you can get a dual seat conversion for it -something you might want to look into if you are thinking of getting one and the mrs wants to get out with you ( might also be in your favour if you dont want her on the back :) )

for me it comes down to having good handling and super car performance for very little money rather than something im going to fall asleep on ,having a naked sports (speed triple) does that for me without compromising on comfort too much such as with pure sports ive owned in the past.
    of course everyone has bikes for different reasons and it depends what you like and what you are going to be using it for - i seem to see a lot more 'older' (50-65) yr olds with sports or sports tourers these days at my local bike cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Dont know if you remember what KTM did to the 1290 s in Dec of 2017. Put one mile on the bikes pre reg them and knocked £5.5 of the £16k list. This was was current model tft dash luggage etc.

There was one guy on Ukgser negotiating with Austria on how they were going to assist in the mitigation of his depreciation!. My pal bought one kept his ktm 1190 and never looked back
    I remember it well.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    I'd say the opposite, to me manufacture built cafe racers and bobbers are a pastiche of the original ethos. Cafe racers were a quintessentially British quirk back in the day, built by owners to their own specification (think of the old Tribsas, Tritons, Norvins etc). Bobbers were more of an American trend of stripping heavy old iron down to the base components. These days both can be an art form and I've seen and ridden some user engineered, beautifully crafted, comfortable and thrilling to ride examples from both camps. That doesn't mean all are of course, to build a good example you really need to know what your doing as function rarely follows form when your customising motorcycles. This unfortunately means there are some absolute shockers out there!

Manufacturers have in recent years tried to latch onto the style of both in an attempt to widen their brands appeal, whilst they may be corporate examples of well engineered and safe I'm afraid they usually leave me cold.
    Last edited by Thewatchbloke; 16th September 2018 at 12:52. Reason: typo!

Well, even though I'm on my YBR at the moment, I just had a couple of hours out in this glorious weather. God, it was lovely.

Met Gyp at NOG yesterday Tony, there were some fantastic deals to be had on the r9t's!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Met Gyp at NOG yesterday Tony, there were some fantastic deals to be had on the r9t's!
    Saw that, Duncan. Whilst I'd be deliriously happy to own one, I do need to test ride it first, so it's a a bit too early for me.

Saw that, Duncan. Whilst I'd be deliriously happy to own one, I do need to test ride it first, so it's a a bit too early for me.
    That’s not a necessity, trust me!

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    That’s not a necessity, trust me!
    It is if I want to compare it to the Bonnevilles, John. I’m gutted though.

Fair enough - those deals are stonking though. A new Urban GS for £7.7k with 3 years’ warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I had/have a simple plan:

I was fortunate to buy a ceramic Daytona at RRP about a year ago. Having enjoyed wearing it, I decided I could put the money to better use, so I sold it, and bought an Explorer (in man-maths, the Exp is ‘free’) leaving me with the price of a Daytona to spend on a bike/training/kit.

In doing this, I will have knowingly swapped a solid, appreciating ‘asset’ into something a little less ‘safe’. :)
    The experiences, memories and friendships gained from motorbiking will be worth more to you then any watch. You did the right thing!

Fair enough - those deals are stonking though. A new Urban GS for £7.7k with 3 years’ warranty!
    The Urban GS has a seat height of 850mm, John. That’s very tall, and at 220kg I wouldn’t fancy manoeuvring it around on tip-toes (at best).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    The experiences, memories and friendships gained from motorbiking will be worth more to you then any watch. You did the right thing!
    Definitely. I will keep a few other watches though...

I think the imminent arrival of the new boxer engine will have a bearing on these prices.

https://youtu.be/rgpsDpa2nuQ

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I have to admit, I'm looking forward to popping back to Herts Triumph and having a proper look at the Street Triple. I've been watching/reading endless reviews about it, and although it has a a bit more torque than I'd intended it seems to be spot on in terms of size, weight and manoeuvrability (probably a lot more so than the 9T, it has to be said). Anyway, I can't do it this week because i have my training and Mod1, but hopefully early next week.

Re the new boxer engines, I assume that any impact on prices of existing stock is some months down the line. That could be a factor if I have problems with regard to passing either of my tests, as any delay that takes me another month or two into winter will probably see me hanging on to the YBR until the spring (an unbearable thought right now, but I need to accept that it could happen).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th September 2018 at 08:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I think the imminent arrival of the new boxer engine will have a bearing on these prices.

https://youtu.be/rgpsDpa2nuQ

R
    Are we sure this video is real?
    I ask because I watched up to the point it describes the engine as having ..
    "Souvereign (sic) Acceleration and Impressive Elasticity"

:-)

Thanks for sharing ... will be interesting to see this triuckle down through the range.

Presumably this is one of the water-cooled boxers which will not be finding its way into the R9T range.

BMW has committed to the oilhead up to 2020 and has stated it will try to ensure it remains compliant with any new Euro regulations.

There should therefore be no impact on the price of the Heritage range from the introduction of the new water-cooled unit.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not sure LC engines will hit the Heritage range just yet.

Master
    The street triple seems a bit of a curve ball and not really comparable to things like the Bonneville and R9T. I would say the MT09 is a closer comparison as it has the triple and similar power. The good thing about the MT09 is that you can get that heritage look by buying the XSR variant. Admittedly it's still modern, divides opinion on it's looks and won't be built to the standard of the triumph or BMW.

I believe you can also get a lower seat and reviews always compliment it for how light it feels. Having spent yesterday helping my dad move his bikes around his garages I can testify how bloody heavy a Bonneville is.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    The street triple seems a bit of a curve ball and not really comparable to things like the Bonneville and R9T. I would say the MT09 is a closer comparison as it has the triple and similar power. The good thing about the MT09 is that you can get that heritage look by buying the XSR variant. Admittedly it's still modern, divides opinion on it's looks and won't be built to the standard of the triumph or BMW.

I believe you can also get a lower seat and reviews always compliment it for how light it feels. Having spent yesterday helping my dad move his bikes around his garages I can testify how bloody heavy a Bonneville is.
    Yes, a proper curve ball, but it’s light, comes as a low ride height version too, and it’s considered one of the best middleweights ever.

The MT-09 is too big for me, and even the 07 is borderline. Given that the 07 was on my initial shortlist substituting it with the Striple is actually quite sensible.

Master
    Yes, a proper curve ball, but it’s light, comes as a low ride height version too, and it’s considered one of the best middleweights ever.

The MT-09 is too big for me, and even the 07 is borderline. Given that the 07 was on my initial shortlist substituting it with the Striple is actually quite sensible.
    Re Street Triple, my inside leg is 30.5 and I can get both feet flat on the floor on mine. It's light too so a very unintimidating beast.

On reflection, if were me, I'd buy something like a Street Triple second hand. They haven't changed much fundamentally over the years (other than styling), so an older one would be fine (mine is 11 years old, as good as new and I suppose worth two or three grand max). Get used to the power, weight etc., then that will put you in a better place when it comes to test riding other bikes. Plus you might just like it and end up keeping it....

Re the ST's torque, torque by itself is a largely meaningless number, but what the ST does give is good low down power which actually makes it very suitable for a novice. When I bought mine I test rode a lot of bikes (ironically not the ST itself as it was only just announced!), for example I remember the contemporary R6 being all but unusable on the road IMHO although no doubt great on track. The ST is a great real world bike.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Re Street Triple, my inside leg is 30.5 and I can get both feet flat on the floor on mine. It's light too so a very unintimidating beast.

On reflection, if were me, I'd buy something like a Street Triple second hand. They haven't changed much fundamentally over the years (other than styling), so an older one would be fine (mine is 11 years old, as good as new and I suppose worth two or three grand max). Get used to the power, weight etc., then that will put you in a better place when it comes to test riding other bikes. Plus you might just like it and end up keeping it....

Re the ST's torque, torque by itself is a largely meaningless number, but what the ST does give is good low down power which actually makes it very suitable for a novice. When I bought mine I test rode a lot of bikes (ironically not the ST itself as it was only just announced!), for example I remember the contemporary R6 being all but unusable on the road IMHO although no doubt great on track. The ST is a great real world bike.
    Simon, there's a lot of food for thought there. Perhaps I'll have a look around over the next few days, and see what's available.

Master
    Slightly gratiutous photo opportunity .. only posting so you can see the bikes side by side ... I was out with couple of mates on Saturday .
    Me - BMW R9T (my second bike)
    M1 - Triumph Street Triple (his first bike)
    M2 - Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (touring version)
    Last edited by I a n; 17th September 2018 at 16:06.

Thanks Ian.

Now, it's possible that I'm about to do something VERY impulsive, as a bit of an opportunity has presented itself. Sadly, it's too close to home to find a reason to ignore it.

More later!

Congrats on your new Street Triple hopefully Tony

Well, that was interesting! I went to see this beauty, of for anyone that can't be bothered to follow the link, this...

I sat on it for a while, manoeuvred it backwards and forwards, started it up, drooled over it... then the seller said that he was happy for me to take it out on the backstreets around his house, even though he knew where i was in terms of tests and licence. I'm sure I should have declined, but...

So, my thoughts.

Pros

1 It's a stunning looking bike, and one of only 50 with that "Dark" paint finish. Seriously, it's beyond beautiful.
    2 We've agreed a price of £6750, which given it's exclusivity, low mileage (1204, including anything I just out on it) and number of extras is quite fair. He originally listed it at £7500, and was prepared for me to walk away at anything less than the figure mentioned.
    3 He's happy to take a deposit and leave it in his garage, fully insured, until I've passed my Mod2.
    4 The weight is very manageable.

Cons

1 The power is absolutely brutal - there's no other way of putting it. For an experienced rider that would no doubt be a good thing, but for someone new to larger bikes I'm not so sure.
    2 It's certainly not an "upright" naked/cruiser. My feet were tucked well back, and I was leaning forward relatively aggressively compared to others I've sat on.

Having thought about it for a while, I'm going to pass on this, and on the Street Triple altogether for now. As a first large bike, it's confirmed to me that my instincts in gravitating towards the Bonnies and R9T were correct in that I want to be upright and a lot more relaxed than I was today. Maybe a Striple as a second bike, when i have some time and miles under my belt, but not right now.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th September 2018 at 19:23.

That CBR600 in SC would be a good bike to 'start' on and you'd get most of your money back if you just kept it for a year.
    Then you could understand your needs more before you bought that keeper bike.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    That CBR600 in SC would be a good bike to 'start' on and you'd get most of your money back if you just kept it for a year.
    Then you could understand your needs more before you bought that keeper bike.
    Yes, it's a great bike for the money. However, it has the characteristics I referred to above, and which I don't want.

I may well look at used Bonnies, though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Tony, the BM has much the same performance as the Striple, albeit with a tad more weight. The Bonnie not so. But I worry that you will soon get fed up with riding Miss Daisy - if you will forgive the phraseology!

Sounds like an informed decision. The Bonnies do look nice. When you get ready to purchase my mate lives your way but ends up buying his triumphs from Bramley near Guildford (Destination Triumph) as they offer the best deals. He is a beast when it comes To negotiating.
    What happens to the Duc

I’ve been following this topic with interest. I passed my test at 17 then rode bikes all the way through to the end of my twenties but then didn’t get back on one until I was forty.
    I have owned bikes of all types & size, from enduro to sports, race rep & vintage, naked to fully faired.
    When I was young I just wanted faster bikes and went from a AR125 to a GPZ900 in less than three years. A huge difference in performance and a very steep learning curve.
    I must have since tried pretty much every type of bike I fancied, many just on their looks alone, some handled better than others. Some were very much of the moment, and some were just awful. Then my lifestyle changed and a car was needed.

The bike that bought me back to riding was the first Triumph Thruxton. I was meeting a friend at Fowler’s in Bristol & I saw one they had, in black with a silver racing stripe down the middle & I had to have it. Beautiful to look at & loads of character, a little heavy & underpowered but a blast to ride & didn’t need to be thrashed everywhere to be fun. Loads of performance kits and add on’s to customise it to your hearts content.
    Everyone loved the Triumph from racers to GS rider to the Harley boys, I was the only bike I’ve ever owned with that much universal appeal. Sadly gone now as I got the Harley bug then switched to vintage BMW’s, but still probably my favourite all time all rounder, and thanks to this thread it’s looking like another will be added to the garage soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Tony, the BM has much the same performance as the Striple, albeit with a tad more weight. The Bonnie not so. But I worry that you will soon get fed up with riding Miss Daisy - if you will forgive the phraseology!
    I'd agree the headline numbers are the same ... but a boxer twin is very different from the triple in terms of power delivery.
    BMW: 110PS@7750 and 116Nm@6000
    Triumph: 113PS@11250 and 73@9100

I find the torque very "forgiving" in terms of gear selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    You know, Simon, you may be right. However, I'd rather have the opportunity to correct a mistake than not.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Sounds like an informed decision. The Bonnies do look nice. When you get ready to purchase my mate lives your way but ends up buying his triumphs from Bramley near Guildford (Destination Triumph) as they offer the best deals. He is a beast when it comes To negotiating.
    What happens to the Duc
    Thank you, and noted. I'll still be testing the Duc, and in many ways it has it's nose out in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    I’ve been following this topic with interest. I passed my test at 17 then rode bikes all the way through to the end of my twenties but then didn’t get back on one until I was forty.
    I have owned bikes of all types & size, from enduro to sports, race rep & vintage, naked to fully faired.
    When I was young I just wanted faster bikes and went from a AR125 to a GPZ900 in less than three years. A huge difference in performance and a very steep learning curve.
    I must have since tried pretty much every type of bike I fancied, many just on their looks alone, some handled better than others. Some were very much of the moment, and some were just awful. Then my lifestyle changed and a car was needed.

The bike that bought me back to riding was the first Triumph Thruxton. I was meeting a friend at Fowler’s in Bristol & I saw one they had, in black with a silver racing stripe down the middle & I had to have it. Beautiful to look at & loads of character, a little heavy & underpowered but a blast to ride & didn’t need to be thrashed everywhere to be fun. Loads of performance kits and add on’s to customise it to your hearts content.
    Everyone loved the Triumph from racers to GS rider to the Harley boys, I was the only bike I’ve ever owned with that much universal appeal. Sadly gone now as I got the Harley bug then switched to vintage BMW’s, but still probably my favourite all time all rounder, and thanks to this thread it’s looking like another will be added to the garage soon.

They really are lovely things, with their old-school charm. I'm finding them very hard to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    I'd agree the headline numbers are the same ... but a boxer twin is very different from the triple in terms of power delivery.
    BMW: 110PS@7750 and 116Nm@6000
    Triumph: 113PS@11250 and 73@9100

I find the torque very "forgiving" in terms of gear selection.
    I'm certainly intrigued to test the 9T!

So, the shortlist for testing then:

Triumph T100 Bonneville
    Ducati Street Classic Scrambler
    BMW R NineT

All lovely bikes, so I'm happy with that!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th September 2018 at 20:44.

dont get into the mindset that getting a lower powered bike (or one with a different power delivery) is going to allow you to correct a mistake , the same goes as what i said about an open face helmet (you are going to lose your face whatever the speed you are doing if you hit the road face down) , the same as it does not matter what bike you overshoot a bend on - you will still get the same result , with only 2 wheels to play with you dont get many second chances with anything on a bike.
    you are going about it better than most though by trying out as many bikes as you can that you like the look of, most will buy someting then sell it 6 months later when they realise its not quick enough / too mad for them or handles like a toad on stilts :) , it'll be interesting to see what you settle with for your first bike and how long you hang onto it :)

Master
    The RNineT deals look excellent value, does anyone know whether deals like this are pretty standard or very much of the moment? I noticed another poster mentioned receiving a similar discount which suggests discounts on them might be common...

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    The RNineT deals look excellent value, does anyone know whether deals like this are pretty standard or very much of the moment? I noticed another poster mentioned receiving a similar discount which suggests discounts on them might be common...
    They do seem to go hand in hand with BMW finance, currently running at 7.9% apr. Just saying...

Master
    They do seem to go hand in hand with BMW finance, currently running at 7.9% apr. Just saying...
    I've not yet finally committed to CBT through to MOD 2 but am enjoying watching far too many bike reviews whilst I ponder when to do so!

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I've not yet finally committed to CBT through to MOD 2 but am enjoying watching far too many bike reviews whilst I ponder when to do so!
    Tell me about it. I've peppering mine with some Royal Jordanian to mix it up a bit

Master
    They are, but I think it’s simple enough to take the finance to get the “deposit contribution” (discount) and then settle the finance immediately on receipt of the bike. Obviously some small print must be read before-hand but I think it’s a fairly common tactic.

Looks interesting.....

Master
    Looks nice but how is that a bobber given the definition of a hardtail?

That's gorgeous!