timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 119 of 354 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,950 of 17677

Thread: More bike related stuff

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Ian's suggestion is actually quite good. HD are not fast by anyone's standards, seats are low, allowing both feet flat on the ground to the shortest arses. The weight to put it up when it's fallen is all in your head, as illustrated below:

Im not particularly worried about weight to be honest. Im pretty powerful for a woman and used to hauling heavy stuff (oak cabinet units in particular of late)
    But I think HD's, while I love them, are a little on the hey look at me side. Im a fairly low key being and unsure that id like the attention that a Harley beckons, if that makes sense. I like cruiser type bikes a lot though, and vintage looking things. Some of the triumphs are also very appealing and I like the look of Royal Enfield style-wise but this is all running before I can even walk atm.

verv, not to dampen your desires but I had the worst accident of the lot on a Honda PCX125. My take on it is you're the least respected/seen/looked out for road user. A 30mph crash is a 30mph no matter what you're on. I only had the moped to save fuel going 15 miles each way into central London for work but since then I've vowed to never touch a moped again ever. Not fun getting cut out of your clothes on a mini roundabout because some idiot was texting while crossing it. White boxers in November on the bike? Never again . I did see him coming and knew he was going to t-bone me so twisted the throttle but the bike was too low power to accelerate me out of danger.

Not that you'd go and buy an R1200 GSA but on my GSA I never have to beep, I never have to flash and although I rev while trying to weave in and out of traffic at 5mph people nearly always see me and move first. The road presence is unreal.

Something like the the 400cc Ducati Scrambler which was on SC recently would be lovely and isn't built for speed so won't be a "dangerous" bike. With what they look to be going for on autotrader the price looks like it could be put on a 0% credit card via PayPal and because the initial hit on depreciation has been taken your residuals would hopefully be better.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 7th July 2020 at 11:54.

Celia, I think (having met you) that your suggestion of a Triumph or Royal Enfield is spot on. Couldn’t do better IMO.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats quite comforting actually T as I have been looking and making the "would I look a prat on this" assessment on some of the T/RE's.

I think maybe I should skip the monkey-love and start on a cheap 125 before going the full test route and reassessing both comfort on bike and desire options.
    On the plus side I suppose with a mid range 500-650 I could ride with others without being a good 3km behind at all times.

If we all did the "would I look a prat on this" assesment none of us would have bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Thats quite comforting actually T as I have been looking and making the "would I look a prat on this" assessment on some of the T/RE's.

I think maybe I should skip the monkey-love and start on a cheap 125 before going the full test route and reassessing both comfort on bike and desire options.
    On the plus side I suppose with a mid range 500-650 I could ride with others without being a good 3km behind at all times.
    Now you’re getting there (again IMO). I’d put you on a Street Twin if I was selling you a bike. Yes, it’s a bigger engine but it’s so easy to ride, and you can comfortably potter around quite low in the rev band as its powered by Triumph’s high torque engine.

You’ll easily flat foot it too. I reckon you’d love it.

My old one (yes, it's a beautiful looking bike)...

Of course, other colours are available

Last edited by learningtofly; 7th July 2020 at 12:08.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Celia, I think (having met you) that your suggestion of a Triumph or Royal Enfield is spot on. Couldn’t do better IMO.
    I need to be slightly careful talking to my 22-year old about cars and bikes, as at his age i was riding a 1000cc bike with skinny tyres, no traction control or ABS, and a car with a GTi badge on the back, but now I'm a dad rather than a 22-year old, I'd be quite happy with him stepping up from his YBR125 straight to a Street Twin, Street Scrambler or similar Royal Enfield as they have a chilled out cruiser rather than a race bike character.

That said, I know he'd want a CBR of some variety, which is exactly what I'd want if i was 22...

Now you’re getting there (again IMO). I’d put you on a Street Twin if I was selling you a bike.
    Seconded!

Ian has a Royal Enfield, I am sure he'll give his opinion. Possibly a good solution for you, cheaper than Triumph yet cool and understated.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I do love the street twin and black would definitely be the choice.

Its very, very unintimidating, C. You should go to a dealer and just sit on one to get a feel for the ergonomics. Shame you're not still down here as I'd go with you.

The RE Interceptor would also be a good shout. Cheaper, and a 650cc engine; not quite the build quality/performance of the Triumph but a great bike for the money nonetheless and all the power you would need.

(I'd still put you on the Street Twin though )
    Last edited by learningtofly; 7th July 2020 at 12:23.

Its very, very unintimidating, C. You should go to a dealer and just sit on one to get a feel for the ergonomics. Shame you're not still down here as I'd go with you.

The RE Interceptor would also be a good shout. Cheaper, and a 650cc engine; not quite the build quality/performance of the Triumph but a great bike for the money nonetheless and all the power you would need.

(I'd still put you on the Street Twin though )
    Remember she said she was a hooligan at the wheel; the Street Twin would allow her to be one, wouldn't it?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Remember she said she was a hooligan at the wheel; the Street Twin would allow her to be one, wouldn't it?
    Well... not necessarily, tbh.

Then there's CCM !!!

Last edited by learningtofly; 7th July 2020 at 12:46.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I didn't quite say hooligan but I can be a bit nippy

I wonder if a RE might be the answer as they're a tad more limited, and cheaper.
    OR, a Honda Monkey !

I understand why this thread spanned so many pages btw. Auff.

I'd say not as, even though Triumph have given it more top end power, the engine has a bit of a "really? must we?" feel to it as the revs rise and feels a lot more contented in the 2,500-4,000 region of the rev range.

Occasional expeditions into the higher rev ranges are fine, but it doesn't encourage you to do so. It' not like a number of bikes that feel utterly miserable in the low to mid range and only become enjoyable when you're pressing on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I'd say not as, even though Triumph have given it more top end power, the engine has a bit of a "really? must we?" feel to it as the revs rise and feels a lot more contented in the 2,500-4,000 region of the rev range.

Occasional expeditions into the higher rev ranges are fine, but it doesn't encourage you to do so. It' not like a number of bikes that feel utterly miserable in the low to mid range and only become enjoyable when you're pressing on.
    I almost think its happiest at 3-3500rpm. As you say, there's plenty more on tap but it just seems a bit... unnecessary.

Ah, verv, I think I now know why you want one of those tiny bikes!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1280222485322096646

Master
    There’s nothing wrong with a monkey bike there just a big slow and small. But they can be fun just don’t go to Holland as you can’t ride them on the road. Laura did her CBT just before they left. https://yorkshiretimes.co.uk/article...Bike-Challenge

Personally if I was doing a Berwick to Lancaster trip I would look for something like a Honda CB500 lots around and bomb proof which makes them cheap to run and easy to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Unhappy A story of failure..

Ok.... so it’s pouring down with rain today, so a good day to spend in the garage.

The plan? To make a nice clamp to mount my Satnav on the Ducati

I had a nice piece of aluminium that’d do nicely

I mark it out and cut a lump off

To the milling machine to tidy up the cut.

Mark out the centre and start drilling until I can get my largest drill through

Now I have to set it up for centre boring to finished size. It’s the first time I’ve used my 4 jaw chuck and setting up took an hour

I use a boring bar to make the hole the same size as the handlebars

I then cut the block in half, and use a socket that’s th same size as the handlebars to check the fit

It was looking so good, until I decided I could use the milling machine to make the final shape, and that’s where it all went wrong.

The end result was that after 5 hours work, I turned a nice piece of aluminium into dust and swarf..... Ah well, at least I learned how to set up the 4 jaw chuck...

And it’s still raining...🤪🤪🤪

Blog Entries

Ian has a Royal Enfield, I am sure he'll give his opinion. Possibly a good solution for you, cheaper than Triumph yet cool and understated.
    The Enfield are definitely worth looking at. The new 650 twin is really good imo, cheap as chips, old school, ABS, and rides really well with a frame designed by Harris Performance (Enfield bought them for that reason!). If something a bit ploddier is called for the single cylinder models are there as well. When I sold the Harley I took a test drive on one and ended up buying it!

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    There’s nothing wrong with a monkey bike there just a big slow and small. But they can be fun just don’t go to Holland as you can’t ride them on the road. Laura did her CBT just before they left. https://yorkshiretimes.co.uk/article...Bike-Challenge

Personally if I was doing a Berwick to Lancaster trip I would look for something like a Honda CB500 lots around and bomb proof which makes them cheap to run and easy to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Wow thats a brave ride by the two of them. Only a small point they are Skyteam monkey bikes , they did a copy of the original 50cc monk, an use a variety of engines 50’s 70’s 110’s and 125’s all chinese engines. The current 125 monkey is made in Thailand I believe.

I was most impressed that they "rode from Barcelona through Europe and across the sea to Wensleydale"

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

It was looking so good, until I decided I could use the milling machine to make the final shape, and that’s where it all went wrong.

The end result was that after 5 hours work, I turned a nice piece of aluminium into dust and swarf..... Ah well, at least I learned how to set up the 4 jaw chuck...

And it’s still raining...🤪🤪🤪
    It looked like you only had to drill and tap the threads too :-(

At least you still have the other bit to make one from...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    It looked like you only had to drill and tap the threads too :-(

At least you still have the other bit to make one from...
    I’d actually done that bit.....I literally failed at the last operation🤓

Managed to get a ride yesterday, while the sun was still shining.
    I had a nice chat with the owner of the house in the picture...he wasn't a biker but appreciated it all the same (and he didn't mind the brief parking violation).

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Managed to get a ride yesterday, while the sun was still shining.
    I had a nice chat with the owner of the house in the picture...he wasn't a biker but appreciated it all the same (and he didn't mind the brief parking violation).
    Nice!
    Did he mind the sound of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse pulling up outside his house? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Nice!
    Did he mind the sound of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse pulling up outside his house? ;)
    I suspect that's what alerted him to my presence although the Diavel isn't that noisy with stock pipes.

This morning I've fitted the black chain adjustment blocks and the black clutch cable guide.

In all honesty, I can't work out why.

I never look at the rear axle whilst riding, and I can only see the clutch cable guide when the bike's on the centre stand and I'm on my knees.

This morning I've fitted the black chain adjustment blocks and the black clutch cable guide.

In all honesty, I can't work out why.

I never look at the rear axle whilst riding, and I can only see the clutch cable guide when the bike's on the centre stand and I'm on my knees.

Thanks Ian - barely a day goes by when you don't make me laugh

Thanks Ian - barely a day goes by when you don't make me laugh
    I've got some more bits on order, a couple of which are arguably (if you've been drinking and are easily swayed) useful and a couple that are (irrespective of how much you've been drinking) less so.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of "Fool and his Money"

Well, just a little update on my next bike ponderings (albeit that I'm more than happy to keep my present steed, which has fitted the bill perfectly well for some 14 months now)...

I do fancy the Speed Twin very much, having spent a few hours on it a couple of weeks ago. However, Triumph seem unable to offer me a meaningful-enough financial incentive to make an impulse purchase, and if I'm going to be paying full whack on it I'd rather wait until times are a little more comfortable in terms of financial security. I have to admit that I'm surprised there isn't some tangible movement given that the world's been in lockdown for so long, but it seems that the Speed Twin is a bike that they can't get into the dealerships quickly enough as every man and his dog apparently wants one.

The other major temptation over the past week has been an almost new and completely mint CCM Flat Tracker... gorgeous bikes that defy convention and look like custom builds... also made in very limited numbers (in fact, our own @madeofcheese has one, and he's about to be joined by another TZer who's awaiting delivery of something very special). Buying this one would just mean that I'd need to sell the 9T privately but given how lovely a bike it is I don't imagine that would be a problem. However, I've reluctantly concluded that a CCM might not be the most practical of choices for an only bike that's ridden all year, and I don't fancy keeping it outdoors under a Ridehide rather than in a heated garage where it belongs (damn my ex-wife wives!).

It looks, then, like I'll be continuing my love affair with Tangerine Dream for the foreseeable future. I can't say I'm particularly disappointed either - it's a gorgeous bike that's been really nicely modded and is now almost one of a kind.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 9th July 2020 at 09:52.

Well, just a little update on my next bike ponderings (albeit that I'm more than happy to keep my present steed, which has fitted the bill perfectly well for some 14 months now)...

I do fancy the Speed Twin very much, having spent a few hours on it a couple of weeks ago. However, Triumph seem unable to offer me a meaningful-enough financial incentive to make an impulse purchase, and if I'm going to be paying full whack on it I'd rather wait until times are a little more comfortable in terms of financial security. I have to admit that I'm surprised there isn't some tangible movement given that the world's been in lockdown for so long, but it seems that the Speed Twin is a bike that they can't get into the dealerships quickly enough as every man and his dog apparently wants one.

The other major temptation over the past week has been an almost new and completely mint CCM Flat Tracker... gorgeous bikes that defy convention and look like custom builds... also made in very limited numbers (in fact, our own @madeofcheese has one, and he's about to be joined by another TZer who's awaiting delivery of something very special). Buying this one would just mean that I'd need to sell the 9T privately but given how lovely a bike it is I don't imagine that would be a problem. However, I've reluctantly concluded that a CCM might not be the most practical of choices for an only bike that's ridden all year, and I don't fancy keeping it outdoors under a Ridehide rather than in a heated garage where it belongs (damn my ex-wife wives!).

It looks, then, like I'll be continuing my love affair with Tangerine Dream for the foreseeable future. I can't say I'm particularly disappointed either - it's a gorgeous bike that's been really nicely modded and is now almost one of a kind.
    I'm not surprised by Triumph's stance on the Speed twin TBH Tony. I was in Triumph North London on Friday and was surprised how few bikes they now have in the showroom compared to 4-5 weeks ago.....seems like they've been flying out of the door. I think I managed to get my 'deal' just at the right time......not looking like anything near that available right now. Might change again towards the end of summer.

I love those CCM's too and wouldn't worry too much about it's storage as it is based around a Husky engine which must be a pretty sturdy lump. It being a 'single' is what would make me hesitate about it being my 'only bike' though.......I think I might find it a bit harsh for longer journey's.

Triumph seem unable to offer me a meaningful-enough financial incentive to make an impulse purchase
    because

Speed Twin is a bike that they can't get into the dealerships quickly enough as every man and his dog apparently wants one.
    While I was in getting my trinkets from my local dealer yesterday it was clear that, while they had a showroom full of bikes, they weren't expecting to get any more any time soon.

As I'm considering slimming down the fleet, it's possible that now would be a good time to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I'm not surprised by Triumph's stance on the Speed twin TBH Tony. I was in Triumph North London on Friday and was surprised how few bikes they now have in the showroom compared to 4-5 weeks ago.....seems like they've been flying out of the door. I think I managed to get my 'deal' just at the right time......not looking like anything near that available right now. Might change again towards the end of summer.

I love those CCM's too and wouldn't worry too much about it's storage as it is based around a Husky engine which must be a pretty sturdy lump. It being a 'single' is what would make me hesitate about it being my 'only bike' though.......I think I might find it a bit harsh for longer journey's.
    Yes, somebody else has also said to me that they're very robust bikes, despite their model looks. Point regarding being a single cylinder thumper is indeed a worry - I've read some great things about the BMW-designed Husqvarner engines, though, and think the biggest risk would be that they're a bit more vibey than I'm used to. (Still don't see it as an only bike, though.)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 9th July 2020 at 10:57.

because

While I was in getting my trinkets from my local dealer yesterday it was clear that, while they had a showroom full of bikes, they weren't expecting to get any more any time soon.

As I'm considering slimming down the fleet, it's possible that now would be a good time to sell.
    I was quoted 2 months lead time if I want the grey tank, which probably says it all. I suspect that my timing is all wrong and that i really do need to hang on for a while.

My eye has been drawn by the CCM’s also...would be great for pootling around the seafront - and extraordinarily pretty - but agree that a mid sized single isn’t going to tick all of the boxes that an “only” bike needs to.

Generic newb question.... So I got my first bike a couple of weeks ago and was wondering when I should think about adjusting the chain?

Is it at certain milage or time?

Thanks
    Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Generic newb question.... So I got my first bike a couple of weeks ago and was wondering when I should think about adjusting the chain?

Thanks
    Fish
    How long is a piece of string?

The simple answer is to lubricate and check it regularly and adjust it when necessary.

How often will depend on how you ride, where you ride, the quality of the chain etc. I can sometimes go 3,000 miles between adjustments with a high quality chain and Scottoiler, but perhaps every 300-400 with a worn cheap chain

I've got some more bits on order, a couple of which are arguably (if you've been drinking and are easily swayed) useful and a couple that are (irrespective of how much you've been drinking) less so.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of "Fool and his Money"
    I'm a sucker for a bit of bling too (I'll update some pics with my recent additions in a few days too), but I must say those two above do seem a bit pointless. It's funny that Triumph do seem to offer some pretty pointless 'bling' for some items and yet nothing at all for others.....I was looking for a black version of the silver right hand side 'heal guard' and was amazed that there doesn't seem to be one (bring on the black spray paint).

What else have you ordered?

Yes, somebody else has also said to me that they're very robust bikes, despite their model looks. Point regarding being a single cylinder thumper is indeed a worry - I've read some great things about the BMW-designed Husqvarner engines, though, and think the biggest risk would be that they're a bit more vibey than I'm used to. (Still don't see it as an only bike, though.)
    I don't think I would be too concerned about how resilient the CCM range would be but my 'issue' with them is, as has been said earlier, they are not a practical all year bike; great fun if you want something to bomb around the lanes or go to town on, as long as it's dry or you enjoy washing your gear...the same is true of many bikes, but I wouldn't call them practical either.
    edit - there are a couple in CCM's current range that have better mudguards :)
    Last edited by Stanford; 9th July 2020 at 12:39.

I’m also considering new bike options, alongside my GS. Bit of a long shot but has anyone ever ridden a Yam MT-01? Don’t know why but I keep getting drawn to the style and the ridiculous engine!

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I'm a sucker for a bit of bling too (I'll update some pics with my recent additions in a few days too), but I must say those two above do seem a bit pointless. It's funny that Triumph do seem to offer some pretty pointless 'bling' for some items and yet nothing at all for others.....I was looking for a black version of the silver right hand side 'heal guard' and was amazed that there doesn't seem to be one (bring on the black spray paint).

What else have you ordered?
    Look forward to seeing the other photos of bling!

For pick up tomorrow, I'm expecting...

- metal chain guard - wraps round the sprocket a lot more and hopefully rill reduce chain fling
    - black bar end trims - no other reason that I'd fitted lots of other black bits and as the bar finisher kit was about 2/3 the price for the Scrambler as compared with the other bikes in the range seemed like a relative bargain...until after asking the dealer to order them in specially I discovered that they are sold singly for the Scrambler but in pairs for the other models so I've had to pay for 2...
    - black metal master cylinder - no idea but at least it's a bit of bling I'll be able so see when I'm riding :-)

Somewhere in the system...

- rider footrests - the metal-toothed ones to make my footing more surefooted on the 3-4 times a year when I get a bit of gravel under my tyres and want to feel more confident
    - passenger footrests - the metal ones to kind of match the front even though I don't have a pillion seat and Triumph specifically states that you should not carry a pillion off road
    - off road gear change peg - the metal one to kind of match the footrests, but it doesn't fold like a proper off-road peg should so it's again style over substance but at least the set will be consistent.
    - number board - I've already had one made up in white with faux race numbers and the Kingsman logo (as it's not as common as the 007 limited edition) but the colour doesn't *quite* match. I'm getting the car vinyl place to do another one in satin black as there are so many different blacks on the bike it's bound to match one. Or not. But I can mix and match as I like; white number board when I have the white summer screen on and the black number board when I have the clear (ridiculously named tiny) touring screen on

Look forward to seeing the other photos of bling!

For pick up tomorrow, I'm expecting...

- metal chain guard - wraps round the sprocket a lot more and hopefully rill reduce chain fling
    - black bar end trims - no other reason that I'd fitted lots of other black bits and as the bar finisher kit was about 2/3 the price for the Scrambler as compared with the other bikes in the range seemed like a relative bargain...until after asking the dealer to order them in specially I discovered that they are sold singly for the Scrambler but in pairs for the other models so I've had to pay for 2...
    - black metal master cylinder - no idea but at least it's a bit of bling I'll be able so see when I'm riding :-)

Somewhere in the system...

- rider footrests - the metal-toothed ones to make my footing more surefooted on the 3-4 times a year when I get a bit of gravel under my tyres and want to feel more confident
    - passenger footrests - the metal ones to kind of match the front even though I don't have a pillion seat and Triumph specifically states that you should not carry a pillion off road
    - off road gear change peg - the metal one to kind of match the footrests, but it doesn't fold like a proper off-road peg should so it's again style over substance but at least the set will be consistent.
    - number board - I've already had one made up in white with faux race numbers and the Kingsman logo (as it's not as common as the 007 limited edition) but the colour doesn't *quite* match. I'm getting the car vinyl place to do another one in satin black as there are so many different blacks on the bike it's bound to match one. Or not. But I can mix and match as I like; white number board when I have the white summer screen on and the black number board when I have the clear (ridiculously named tiny) touring screen on

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the vids oaky, im currently looking at RE's.
    Think they're budget friendlier or ill need to start selling watches!

Thanks for the vids oaky, im currently looking at RE's.
    Think they're budget friendlier or ill need to start selling watches!
    An RE will look lovely in your garage alongside the Monkey Bike!

was bored earlier in the week and its not often i take a passenger anymore these days so i removed the grabrail and rearsets -looks a bit cleaner though the first thing that sprang to mind after i took the photo is i need to move and repot some plants :/

Project SC make fine exhausts. That must sound really good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post

Thanks
    Fish
    Fish if you look at the swing arm ( bit from gearbox back to rear wheel axle) You may find a sticker showing the correct chain “play” up and down. Failing that google it or look in the manual.
    As others have said some standard factory chains are like chewing gum and will require adjustment every 300/500 miles.

If thats the case with your bike you are better off popping down to your local dealer/ bike shop and pricing up a DID heavy duty O or X Ring chain. Whilst it might cost anything from £30 to £60 it will mean you will probably get 15,000 miles out of your chain and sprockets. If you stick with a cheap OE chain its not unusual for the chain to wear Both the sprockets in appx 2000 miles Resulting in a £70 to £100 charge For sprockets plus fitting plus a new chain!

See the man maths in getting a hd chain?

Master

More bike related stuff

CCM owner here, and everything that's been said is pretty much spot on. It's a robust bike (although some have had cosmetic rust issues with the frame, which are all being sorted by CCM - their after sales service is exemplary, btw).

It's definitely not an only bike. That said, it is *my* only bike these days, but that's because the only biking I do is sunny day jaunts of ~50 miles or less. I definitely wouldn't want to do more than 1oo miles in a single trip. Not without some Preparation H anyway!

It's not a bike to be used in the rain. I've removed my mudguard for reasons of tartish vanity, but even with them on the effects of riding thru the smallest puddle are Dexter-like in their spatter patterns.

All of which said, it's possibly/probably my favourite bike I've ever had, just makes me smile looking at it in the garage, never mind out on the road.

Edit: never one to miss a chance for a gratuitous glamour shot :

Last edited by MadeOfCheese; 9th July 2020 at 14:37.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    CCM owner here, and everything that's been said is pretty much spot on. It's a robust bike (although some have had cosmetic rust issues with the frame, which are all being sorted by CCM - their after sales service is exemplary, btw).

It's definitely not an only bike. That said, it is *my* only bike these days, but that's because the only biking I do is sunny day jaunts of ~50 miles or less. I definitely wouldn't want to do more than 1oo miles in a single trip. Not without some Preparation H anyway!

It's not a bike to be used in the rain. I've removed my mudguard for reasons of tartish vanity, but even with them on the effects of riding thru the smallest puddle are Dexter-like in their spatter patterns.

All of which said, it's possibly/probably my favourite bike I've ever had, just makes me smile looking at it in the garage, never mind out on the road.
    Thank you... nothing really surprising there. In hindsight, how do you think it fared in our ride out? You certainly demonstrated that they’re not slow.