Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Lovely looking mikes....brilliant.
    Looks suspiciously like
    Wales ;-)

Blog Entries
    291kgs
    Wow, about the same as the Harley I just sold then! Too much for me unfortunately.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    Having had a 500lb bagger I can tell you its no fun when not riding and even less fun if you nose into a decline surface and then need a push to escape.
    On the plus side a very grounded and solid ride that is rarely uncomfortable
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Going for a test ride on this today

That is truly awful,like some fantasy steam punk thing on acid.

Just ruminating whilst I await an update from Triumph, but just worked out that the Speed Twin is 4 stone (actually, 57 lbs) lighter than the R9T. That's a huge amount of weight saved, and no doubt why it felt so manageable, both in motion and at a standstill.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Just ruminating whilst I await an update from Triumph, but just worked out that the Speed Twin is 4 stone (actually, 57 lbs) lighter than the R9T. That's a huge amount of weight saved, and no doubt why it felt so manageable, both in motion and at a standstill.
    It is a lot, although are you comparing apples with apples? Triumph love to quote dry weight whereas many other brands quote kerb weight or wet weight.

In this example I think the Speed Twin is just under 200kg (dry) and the BMW is about 225kg (wet). If that's true, there will not be much in it in the end, as the fuel in the Speed Twin would be about 12kg and then there's oil, water etc.

However, that's not to say the Triumph would not feel lighter as I guess it depends on centre of mass etc.

Careful Tony, with its flat twin the centre of gravity of those Beemers is usually significantly lower than the competition.
    I don't believe you can tell the difference in weight, and even less so associate it with agility: I am sure you can tell when your tank is full vs empty, but that is on the very same bike.
    Other than how high the centre of mass is, you also have to take into account caster angle, width and height of handlebars (and the subsequent body position), etc.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    It is a lot, although are you comparing apples with apples? Triumph love to quote dry weight whereas many other brands quote kerb weight or wet weight.

In this example I think the Speed Twin is just under 200kg (dry) and the BMW is about 225kg (wet). If that's true, there will not be much in it in the end, as the fuel in the Speed Twin would be about 12kg and then there's oil, water etc.

However, that's not to say the Triumph would not feel lighter as I guess it depends on centre of mass etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Careful Tony, with its flat twin the centre of gravity of those Beemers is usually significantly lower than the competition.
    I don't believe you can tell the difference in weight, and even less so associate it with agility: I am sure you can tell when your tank is full vs empty, but that is on the very same bike.
    Other than how high the centre of mass is, you also have to take into account caster angle, width and height of handlebars (and the subsequent body position), etc.
    The dry weights are 196kg and 222kg respectively, so the 57lb saving is a real one; it also manifests itself in a very tangible way, despite the notional advantages of the R9T engine ergonomics. The ST is lighter, smaller, narrower and easier to manhandle (and remember this view isnt the result of just reading specs).

Master
    The dry weights are 196kg and 222kg respectively, so the 57lb saving is a real one; it also manifests itself in a very tangible way, despite the notional advantages of the R9T engine ergonomics. The ST is lighter, smaller, narrower and easier to manhandle (and remember this view isnt the result of just reading specs).
    Are you sure?

Valid points there Tony. I had a spec shoot-out myself recently between the Ducati Scrambler Full-Throttle and the Triumph Street Scrambler......on paper the FT was lighter with more power and after riding the FT I thought my mind was made up. However, a ride shortly after on the SS really surprised me.....it was 'the one'! At the end of the day most new bikes these days are absolutely fantastic.....it just down to which one make your heart sing the most.

I'm also a sucker for magazines.......looks like there's a 'real world' review of the Speed Twin in this months Motorcycle S&L;

https://www.mslmagazine.co.uk/check-...sport-leisure/

.....but that's also just another persons opinion too.

Much more importantly.........it'll look 'the dogs' in black ;o)

Master
    Regarding the Speed Twin...

Following my Rocket test ride yesterday, I was having a chat with the dealer owner about the current ranges from Triumph and Ducati...(hes a dealer for both brands)

Regarding Triumph his opinion was that as a fantastic all rounder, the speed twin is THE PICK OF THE BUNCH👍😎

He owns loads of bikes including a TFC rocket, some classics and modern stuff, but he said if he just wants to ride for fun, he always picks the ST.

Hes a chap in his late 50s and regarding bikes hes been there and done it, so his opinion is worth listening to.🤓

Regarding the Speed Twin...

Following my Rocket test ride yesterday, I was having a chat with the dealer owner about the current ranges from Triumph and Ducati...(he’s a dealer for both brands)

Regarding Triumph his opinion was that as a fantastic all rounder, the speed twin is THE PICK OF THE BUNCH

He owns loads of bikes including a TFC rocket, some classics and modern stuff, but he said if he just wants to ride for fun, he always picks the ST.

He’s a chap in his late 50’s and regarding bikes he’s been there and done it, so his opinion is worth listening to.邏
    I test rode a lot of bikes last spring looking to make a new purchase, Ducati, Kawasaki, BMW, Honda, Yamaha all naked style bikes and lastly as a left field option the Speed Twin as I'd never owned or even ridden a Triumph before, I knew within a few miles it was the bike for me, it's hard to explain and it's a bike that's more than the sum of its parts, that large twin engine has so much character and torque and the bike is just so flick-able and easy to ride, I love the retro style but with the modern touches like big twin Brembos up front, slipper clutch, traction control and rider modes, it's quite a wolf in sheeps clothing, it's no superbike but plenty fast enough for the road. If you want a naked retro style bike I'd definitely recommend a test ride, I think it won bike of the year last year too from a few bike magazines.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 26th June 2020 at 12:20.

I love my T120 but if I didn't need the extra benefits for 2 up it brings I would be on a Speed Twin...

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    I love my T120 but if I didn't need the extra benefits for 2 up it brings I would be on a Speed Twin...

If I didn't have a ridiculous Steve McQueen fetish going on I'd be on one too......

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post

THAT is 10 tea spoons of sugar sweeeeeet. Nicest 120 I've seen.

All in all, I really liked it. Im not sure if I liked it enough to buy one, but at this stage Im not going to dismiss it just yet.
    For me, if I don't get off & think "yes I must have one" I don't buy.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Thin end of a VERY big wedge.....

Just read that an application to alter the speed limit to the road to/and past the Ponderosa North Wales has been filed. 40mph restriction expected to apply all the way through. Seriously?

What ....the.... actual ....fu*k.

Will make one of the best biking roads in the UK one of the worst.
    Can't see many bikers wanting to ride up there restricted at 40mph for 8 miles, and then be restricted to 50mph for another 8 miles...Bet the owner of the Pondo isn't best pleased either.

The sad tragic individuals responsible for this sh!t derive pleasure by 'hoovering' the fun out of life..
    Last edited by Tifa; 27th June 2020 at 01:21.

has anyone tested the speed twin against the kawasaki 900rs ?

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    Not personally, but there are loads of reviews with the two compared on line

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Thin end of a VERY big wedge.....

Just read that an application to alter the speed limit to the road to/and past the Ponderosa North Wales has been filed. 40mph restriction expected to apply all the way through. Seriously?

What ....the.... actual ....fu*k.

Will make one of the best biking roads in the UK one of the worst.
    Can't see many bikers wanting to ride up there restricted at 40mph for 8 miles, and then be restricted to 50mph for another 8 miles...Bet the owner of the Pondo isn't best pleased either.

The sad tragic individuals responsible for this sh!t derive pleasure by 'hoovering' the fun out of life..
    Sorry mate but if you think that’s one of the best biking roads in Britain you need to ride further afield. The surface is truly aweful, the route over the pass is full of sheep, tourists, cyclists and other road users. And the individuals responsible for getting a lower speed limit are the bikers themselves.
    Accident after accident, mostly down to show offs getting it wrong. I’m sorry to say that a 40mph limit is well overdue.

The scenery at the top is well worth the trip and that will remain the case, but the locals don’t need the idiots thinking that this short piece of road is some sort of TT mountain pass.

Last year I attended “biker night” most Wednesday’s... I personally saw 4 accidents, 2 of them nasty ones that involved serious injury.
    Last edited by Enoch; 27th June 2020 at 11:15.

Are you sure?
    As a matter of interest, how conscious are you of the weight of your Honda? I absolutely LOVE the CB1100s but they do seem to be heavy beasts.

Master
    As a matter of interest, how conscious are you of the weight of your Honda? I absolutely LOVE the CB1100s but they do seem to be heavy beasts.
    There is no denying it. The CB1100 is a heavy bike. The EX has a kerb weight of 255kg and the RS is a couple of KG lighter. That puts the EX in almost exactly the same territory as my R1250GS, although clearly they feel completely different.

The Honda's weight is most noticeable when you take it off the side stand. When I take mine out of the garage there is a reasonable downhill slope on my drive so controlling the bike as I reverse it out of the garage and get it on full lock to turn it around takes a bit of care. The experience with the GS is similar although it's a bit easier as the rear grab rails are higher off the ground.

Once I am sitting on the bike I completely forget about the weight and don't notice it during slow riding or cornering etc. In that respect, the same applies to the GS.

Having said all of that, I wonder if you'd find the Honda a bit "soulless"? It's not a challenging ride and I suspect you may find the performance a bit lacking - certainly in comparison with the Speed Twin.

Recently, I've been idly contemplating swapping it for a Scrambler 1200 as I seem to prefer the taller riding position. However, I'm trying to be sensible.

There is no denying it. The CB1100 is a heavy bike. The EX has a kerb weight of 255kg and the RS is a couple of KG lighter. That puts the EX in almost exactly the same territory as my R1250GS, although clearly they feel completely different.

The Honda's weight is most noticeable when you take it off the side stand. When I take mine out of the garage there is a reasonable downhill slope on my drive so controlling the bike as I reverse it out of the garage and get it on full lock to turn it around takes a bit of care. The experience with the GS is similar although it's a bit easier as the rear grab rails are higher off the ground.

Once I am sitting on the bike I completely forget about the weight and don't notice it during slow riding or cornering etc. In that respect, the same applies to the GS.

Having said all of that, I wonder if you'd find the Honda a bit "soulless"? It's not a challenging ride and I suspect you may find the performance a bit lacking - certainly in comparison with the Speed Twin.

Recently, I've been idly contemplating swapping it for a Scrambler 1200 as I seem to prefer the taller riding position. However, I'm trying to be sensible.
    Thanks for that. You might be right in terms of soul but god, that design is lovely. Mind you, Id describe the ST as spirited rather than challenging - its a very easy bike to ride. In fact the 9T is far more challenging IMO, in that it requires more input (more riding if you will) when compared to the 9T.

Anyway, I may try to test the RS version of the Honda as Im very drawn to it.

Master
    Thanks for that. You might be right in terms of soul but god, that design is lovely. Mind you, Id describe the ST as spirited rather than challenging - its a very easy bike to ride. In fact the 9T is far more challenging IMO, in that it requires more input (more riding if you will) when compared to the 9T.

Anyway, I may try to test the RS version of the Honda as Im very drawn to it.
    Well, if you do decide on an RS, I would be fairly sure you would be able to buy one for a very good price. My only other observation is this: Compared to the R9T or Speed Twin, there is a distinct absence of choice when it comes to aftermarket custom parts. Having changed the indicators on mine, I'd quite like to tidy up the rear end (I think the fender and rear light are a bit heavy-handed) but googling "CB1100 Tail Tidy" produces a fairly short list of hits - which is (I guess) a consequence of the low sales volumes for these bikes.

Well, if you do decide on an RS, I would be fairly sure you would be able to buy one for a very good price. My only other observation is this: Compared to the R9T or Speed Twin, there is a distinct absence of choice when it comes to aftermarket custom parts. Having changed the indicators on mine, I'd quite like to tidy up the rear end (I think the fender and rear light are a bit heavy-handed) but googling "CB1100 Tail Tidy" produces a fairly short list of hits - which is (I guess) a consequence of the low sales volumes for these bikes.
    Funnily enough I was just looking at an ad for an RS at a dealer around the corner from me. A 2018 bike, mint and 1800 miles on the clock for 7500! I was also just thinking that all it would need would be bar end mirrors and a tail tidy!

Master
    Funnily enough I was just looking at an ad for an RS at a dealer around the corner from me. A 2018 bike, mint and 1800 miles on the clock for 7500! I was also just thinking that all it would need would be bar end mirrors and a tail tidy!
    Even bar end mirrors are a bit of challenge - due to Honda's "clever" internal bar-end weights!!!

Even bar end mirrors are a bit of challenge - due to Honda's "clever" internal bar-end weights!!!
    Did you find a solution?

Master
    Did you find a solution?
    I've still got the stock mirrors at the moment. I've read that some people simply remove the internal bar end weights and don't notice any serious change in vibration levels so maybe it's not insurmountable.

I replaced my OE mirrors on my 2018 Honda with Puig bar end style ones. They work far better for me than the OE's.
    But everyone is different. You are correct in saying that the internal bar end weight can sometimes take a bit getting out. But, a bit of perseverance, and they WILL come. Vibration wise, I don't notice any difference, other than the reflected image in the mirror is far better/clearer.

I wonder if anyone can give any advice regarding open face helmets sizing.

I know the Arai Freeway and Shoei J.O. fit me in a Large but I really like the Hedon range. Ive read that they come up small and need to size up, does anyone know if this is correct, does the Hedon come up noticeably smaller? I know the best answer would be to go and try them but Im reluctant to find somewhere to go trying helmets on given the current climate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    I replaced my OE mirrors on my 2018 Honda with Puig bar end style ones. They work far better for me than the OE's.
    But everyone is different. You are correct in saying that the internal bar end weight can sometimes take a bit getting out. But, a bit of perseverance, and they WILL come. Vibration wise, I don't notice any difference, other than the reflected image in the mirror is far better/clearer.
    Yes, I got the weights out without too much trouble (a couple of press tabs just under the grips), but I was a bit reluctant to spend out on some bar-end mirrors only to discover some additional vibration in the bars. But, as you say, there seems to be no difference with or without the OEM weights. Maybe I'll have a re-think, as the stalk mirrors are not ideal. First though, I need to convince myself the bike will be staying with me.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    If I didn't have a ridiculous Steve McQueen fetish going on I'd be on one too......

Me too, almost. A Silodrome article on this

Which is one of Steve's bikes, got me to do this

To this

It is great fun though

Master
    Tony these glowing reviews of the Speed Twin arent helping your decision processes are they :)

Steve.

First though, I need to convince myself the bike will be staying with me.
    I guess it's just a 15 min job to retro fit the originals if you need to move the bike on?
    The bar ends can then be mounted on your next bike?
    Worst case scenario, no new bike...so just sell the bar ends on ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I wonder if anyone can give any advice regarding open face helmets sizing.

I know the Arai Freeway and Shoei J.O. fit me in a Large but I really like the Hedon range. I’ve read that they come up small and need to size up, does anyone know if this is correct, does the Hedon come up noticeably smaller? I know the best answer would be to go and try them but I’m reluctant to find somewhere to go trying helmets on given the current climate.
    I’d say that’s correct. I have a Hedonist and had to go a size larger than my other helmets - including an Arai Freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony these glowing reviews of the Speed Twin aren’t helping your decision processes are they :)

Steve.
    No they’re not!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 27th June 2020 at 23:42.

I’d say that’s correct. I have a Hedonist and had to go a size larger than my other helmets - including an Arai Freeway.
    Thanks

Brands Indy tomorrow for another track day.

Long story, but I've got the 12 year old, OEM shock back in the Gixxer, after the 2nd oil leak on my Nitron Race shock, so could need a bit of tinkering to get a set up that works.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

After passing my CBT the other week and collecting my new bike (MT-125) on Thursday, I've just done my first (test) ride into my work to see how I would get on riding in central London, yes I know it's not rush hour riding but it did give me some idea of what to expect. Potholes to avoid, etc.

As an aside, if anyone is in the market for a Belstaff biker jacket, have a look at Sports Pursuit, as they have some in their sales at the moment.

Fish

Fiddling again

Master
    Yes, I got the weights out without too much trouble (a couple of press tabs just under the grips), but I was a bit reluctant to spend out on some bar-end mirrors only to discover some additional vibration in the bars. But, as you say, there seems to be no difference with or without the OEM weights. Maybe I'll have a re-think, as the stalk mirrors are not ideal. First though, I need to convince myself the bike will be staying with me.
    As noted doesn't seem to make much difference, I have removed the internal gubbins for just one mirror on RH bar and the mirror works fine at legal speeds. Got a trendy bar end mirror from MotoGadget that is polished aluminium, it sits on an extender piece to keep well away from interference with end throttle grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Fiddling again

What with this time??

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    Yes I was going to order the Z900RS after testing loads of bikes and thought it was the one for me, I was then passing a Triumph dealer and thought I'd just pop in and have a look, the Salesman said try this Speed Twin as he'd just ordered one for himself and after a few miles I was smitten and placed an order a few days later.

Took the chance to clear out the storage garages over the last couple of months.

Sold four bikes, but found two i'd completely forgotten about, both recommissioned, insured and MOT'd while i had the time .

I think i'm now down to only 19 bikes. Eight on the road, insured/mot'd etc. I need to cut back some more.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Took the chance to clear out the storage garages over the last couple of months.

Sold four bikes, but found two i'd completely forgotten about, both recommissioned, insured and MOT'd while i had the time .

I think i'm now down to only 19 bikes. Eight on the road, insured/mot'd etc. I need to cut back some more.
    My wallet just started to quiver as I read this...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post

Ha ha ha, love it! Thats classic. "down to only 19 bikes...."

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    What with this time??
    Just reworking the wiring to the GPS so that it's switched live rather than permanently live meaning I don't have to take the nav off of the bike *every* time I stop

The BMW Nav VI is fine on there but I can't switch it off while it's in the cradle. The on/off button is on the back of the unit, and that requires removing it from the cradle.

I'm fitting a lock to reduce the theft risk and it'll be convenient to be able to leave it on the Triumph in the same way I do when I pop into the shops on the BMW

Oh and refitting the scottoiler which had fallen off :-(
    Last edited by Gyp; 29th June 2020 at 17:55.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    After passing my CBT the other week and collecting my new bike (MT-125) on Thursday, I've just done my first (test) ride into my work to see how I would get on riding in central London, yes I know it's not rush hour riding but it did give me some idea of what to expect. Potholes to avoid, etc.

As an aside, if anyone is in the market for a Belstaff biker jacket, have a look at Sports Pursuit, as they have some in their sales at the moment.

Fish
    I'm sure training these days is better than the training years ago (none basically) but be very careful until you gain some experience, remember there are old bikers and bold bikers, but not very many old bold riders!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I'm sure training these days is better than the training years ago (none basically) but be very careful until you gain some experience, remember there are old bikers and bold bikers, but not very many old bold riders!
    Yes indeed, riding through central London requires extreme caution, especially for a new rider.

Be particularly careful to filter past traffic slowly enough to be able to stop when the inevitable pedestrian suddenly appears from behind a bus or van...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Just reworking the wiring to the GPS so that it's switched live rather than permanently live meaning I don't have to take the nav off of the bike *every* time I stop
    Funny you should bring this up. Ive just bought a Zumo 346, with the intention of using it on any of my bikes. Ive fitted it to the Ducati for now using the kit that came with it, and Ive ordered 2 more fitting kits for the Triumphs..

Where did you find the switched live please??👍👍

Funny you should bring this up. Ive just bought a Zumo 346, with the intention of using it on any of my bikes. Ive fitted it to the Ducati for now using the kit that came with it, and Ive ordered 2 more fitting kits for the Triumphs..

Where did you find the switched live please??👍👍
    Surprisingly (well for me anyway), the horn is fed with a switched live, and the button on the switchgear earths it.

I would have thought it was the other way round, but no.

Just waiting for one of these to arrive and I'll be sorted