timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 111 of 359 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,550 of 17913

Thread: More bike related stuff

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Wish I had money to blow on these boys’ toys. Then again......
    I do, and I don’t. Fool’s game chasing the latest and best.

Master
    Forgive me for asking , but what is your positive contribution here to this particular section of the forum as you appear to be answering your own posts ?
    Last edited by higham5; 14th June 2020 at 21:00.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Forgive me for asking , but what is your positive contribution here to this particular section of the forum as you appear to be answering your own posts ?
    Laughing. ‘Tis a positive force.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Laughing. ‘Tis a positive force.
    And I do find it odd that those members who have recently pleaded (on and on) about their impending poverty due to their one man band status, are now contemplating a new bike purchase.

Master
    Simon I dont know if you saw last weeks June 3 rd MCN but they tested on the same 250 mile loop, the Speed triple RS , the Street Triple RS against the 2020 Speed Twin. And the overall best bike and winner was...

Speed Twin :)
    Thanks, I hadn't, but I have now, I must say their thoughts echo mine about how accessible its performance is.

Does a link exist or is it paper only, please? My google-fu is weak.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Does a link exist or is it paper only, please? My google-fu is weak.
    I couldn't find anything on the website so I bought the relevant copy for £1.99 on the MCN app, in the scheme of things it didn't seem a major investment for some useful feedback about a bike I'm considering spending quite a lot on!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Thanks, I hadn't, but I have now, I must say their thoughts echo mine about how accessible its performance is.
    Reminds me of a Performance Bikes road test years ago when they pitted a lowly, soft ZZR250 against the screaming banshee that was the KR-1. Rather than a track test, it was around country roads and the ZZR actually covered the route more quickly

Master
    Nice Shropshire ride out today..... until we hit a thunder storm🤪🤪

Thank you Simon

Well, I tested the Monster 821 today, complete with Termi cans. It's a lovely bike, actually, and has miles more poke than my old Street Twin, but as soon as I got back on the 9T I knew that it wasn't enough bike for me to think of changing. It does make me wonder about the Monster 1200, though.

Anyway, that's one down, one to go - I'll be spending a few hours on the Speed Twin next week.

As an aside for anyone going on a test ride from On yer Bike, if you head towards Bicester on the A41 and then take the B4011 to Thame, it's a lovely little run full of twisties.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Nice Shropshire ride out today..... until we hit a thunder storm浪浪

Andrew , looking at the bikes, that looks like quick company?

Play, play, play.

Master
    Andrew , looking at the bikes, that looks like quick company?
    Throttle works both ways mate.🤪. The bald chap is on the BMW, he’s very quick and a club racer, BUT he’s also a haulage company owner, and needs his license, so on the road he’s very sensible and keeps to the limits. His lady wife is on the Kawasaki, and she can pedal that as well as any of us, they share that bike for track days, and her pride and joy (pic below) only comes out on nice days..

The chap on the 675, is a newish rider, and pretty steady... and then there’s old slow poke, me on the Duke🤪🤪

Master
    Had a few trail bikes in my far off youth and talking with a few mates we all decided to try buy an old bike for some now "middle aged green lane fun". We all agreed that for off road amateurs anything bigger than a 250 didn't really make sense, I managed to find a bike first and picked it up a few days ago but managed to forget the self imposed guidance......whoops.

So far so good, 2 previous owners in 22 years, been stood for 3 years but sailed through MOT with no pre-work needed and kick starts easy enough hot and cold. A bit over stickered for my liking but an easy fix!

^^^Excellent, you`ll have a great time with a bunch of mates doing some Byways on that.
    Proper fun.

https://www.bywaymap.com/

Blog Entries
    Managed to get out for a couple of hours on the Enfield yesterday. Over the weekend I'd fitted the 30mm handlebar risers, extended mirror stems, USB power point for my phone or a camera and a clock! Unlike the electronic modern marvels they don't have a clock as standard! The bars are much more comfortable now, surprising how much difference it has made. It's great to be able to see behind in the mirrors too, instead of a view of my elbows. The USB power point was simple to fit as there is a fused accessory plug in the headlamp.
    Longest I've been on the bike since fitting the Norton pea shooter style silencers, and they are just right as far as noise goes I reckon. Bit of a thump but not as excessive as my Harley was.
    Another plus is the Helite Mesh airbag jacket which is just right for warmer days in the summer. Well pleased with it.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    One thing I miss on the Interceptor is self cancelling indicators. I find myself constantly checking I've turned them off, as it could be pretty dangerous if they were left on. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Wondered if there was any fix or remedy apart from a better memory!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    One thing I miss on the Interceptor is self cancelling indicators. I find myself constantly checking I've turned them off, as it could be pretty dangerous if they were left on. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Similar on my Triumph. Right pain

Master

The Triumph ones don’t self cancel, and the Ducati ones do... it’s a pain when I’ve been using the Duke, then jump on a triumph...🙁

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, I tested the Monster 821 today, complete with Termi cans. It's a lovely bike, actually, and has miles more poke than my old Street Twin, but as soon as I got back on the 9T I knew that it wasn't enough bike for me to think of changing. It does make me wonder about the Monster 1200, though.

Anyway, that's one down, one to go - I'll be spending a few hours on the Speed Twin next week.

As an aside for anyone going on a test ride from On yer Bike, if you head towards Bicester on the A41 and then take the B4011 to Thame, it's a lovely little run full of twisties.
    Have a look at the Diavel Tony. They may look intimidating at first glance, but they are one hell of a comfy bike and deceptively easy to manoeuvre once on the move. They will have more power and torque than you’ll ever need. I had one when they first came out, but I’d recommend the mk2 version as it had a two spark plug head and other small mods that made the low speed running a bit less lumpy. But bear in mind its a 1200 V-Twin so it may still be a bit more vibey than what your used to. If I could afford it I’d have the newer 1260S version, but thats out of my financial comfort zone atm. Try the 1200 monster as well, i’ve never been on one of them so would be interested to know your thoughts.

One of my mates who has a 1260S Diavel had a test on the V4 Streetfighter yesterday. He described it as a total bonkers machine, overkill for the road, and couldnt wait to get back on his Diavel. He said he has no idea who would want such a bike. We were discussing bikes and their performances in general and we both agreed manufacturers are just going way over the top for the current crop of ‘road’ bikes. As you know I have the Street RS and thats as quick as most of my mates bikes on normal roads, on the straights the 1000’s pull away, but thats not what its about for me.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Definitely; my Diavel doesn't self cancel but the Super Duke does...so I tend to cancel manually so I don't have to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Have a look at the Diavel Tony. They may look intimidating at first glance, but they are one hell of a comfy bike and deceptively easy to manoeuvre once on the move. They will have more power and torque than you’ll ever need. I had one when they first came out, but I’d recommend the mk2 version as it had a two spark plug head and other small mods that made the low speed running a bit less lumpy. But bear in mind its a 1200 V-Twin so it may still be a bit more vibey than what your used to. If I could afford it I’d have the newer 1260S version, but thats out of my financial comfort zone atm. Try the 1200 monster as well, i’ve never been on one of them so would be interested to know your thoughts.

One of my mates who has a 1260S Diavel had a test on the V4 Streetfighter yesterday. He described it as a total bonkers machine, overkill for the road, and couldnt wait to get back on his Diavel. He said he has no idea who would want such a bike. We were discussing bikes and their performances in general and we both agreed manufacturers are just going way over the top for the current crop of ‘road’ bikes. As you know I have the Street RS and thats as quick as most of my mates bikes on normal roads, on the straights the 1000’s pull away, but thats not what its about for me.

Stuart

The Monster is a monster, or at least can be if you want
    The 1100 Scrambers are very nice.

Stuart

Stuart, I tested the Diavel 1260S last year and absolutely LOVED it. If i lived somewhere I could do it justice I'd have bought one there and then, but most of my riding is in urban environments and it just wouldn't work for me (or for the bike). Good call, though.

We were discussing bikes and their performances in general and we both agreed manufacturers are just going way over the top for the current crop of ‘road’ bikes.
    There are lots now that I'd like to ride, but wouldn't want to own.

When I did a few miles on an H2, it was a case of thank you, tried that, have it back.

Even with the relatively same S1000R I was lofting it at 130, which was fine once but not as a normal everyday experience.

I really want to try a KTM 1290 Super Duke R, but I already know I don't want to own one

Really keen to try the V4 streefighter. Sounds mental.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

When I did a few miles on an H2, it was a case of thank you, tried that, have it back.

Even with the relatively same S1000R I was lofting it at 130, which was fine once but not as a normal everyday experience.

I really want to try a KTM 1290 Super Duke R, but I already know I don't want to own one
    Surely the S1000R had anti wheelie on it, or some other form of control? I had the S1000RR and that deffo did......

If you dont like the front up then stay away from a superduke, they do it for fun. Out last year with a guy on one and it just seemed to be everytime i looked he was monowheeling!

Stuart

Last edited by cinnabull; 16th June 2020 at 17:13.

Surely the S1000R had anti wheelie on it, or some other form of control? I had the S1000RR and that deffo did......
    It did go back down again, but before that it went up.

Blog Entries
    Similar on my Triumph. Right pain

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Definitely; my Diavel doesn't self cancel but the Super Duke does...so I tend to cancel manually so I don't have to think about it.
    I'm thinking there must be a workaround for this. (he mumbled and wandered off to the workshop...)

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    The Triumph ones don’t self cancel, and the Ducati ones do... it’s a pain when I’ve been using the Duke, then jump on a triumph...
    It's one thing I miss from the Harley. It had separate indicator buttons on each side with self cancelling. Seemed strange at first but soon became obviously simple. And press both together for hazard flashers!

It did go back down again, but before that it went up.
    Yeah they all do that. I’m pretty sure they have a sensor so that when a wheelie is starting the power is shut slightly. Maybe something to do with the speed the wheels are rotating, I dont know. Or maybe a setting in the traction control? I’m sure one of our more ‘sporty’ riders will know anyway.

I remember going to an actual Wheelie School many years ago, on a KTM 625 SMC. That was fun, but I generally dont enjoy not being in full(ish) control these days, old age eh?

Stuart

Master
    I'm thinking there must be a workaround for this. (he mumbled and wandered off to the workshop...)

It's one thing I miss from the Harley. It had separate indicator buttons on each side with self cancelling. Seemed strange at first but soon became obviously simple. And press both together for hazard flashers!
    Only one of my bikes has self cancelling indicators, the 700GS. In keeping with the bmw ethos they are so lazy and slow. Apparently they are speed and time dependant. On a motorway at 70/80 they are spot on. Around town 200 yds min before they turn off. It’s not unusual to pass two or three junctions in 150 yds , so I just get used to cancelling them.

I recon the worst thing they did was remove the audible indicator warning beep off bikes.

Master

I reckon most (all?) big bikes are now well over powered for sensible road use and in many cases downright scary, doing well over 100 on track is one thing but high speeds & acceleration on the road with all the inconsistency in surface condition, traffic, side roads and other hazards etc is all together different. I know you don't need to use all the revs, but temptation does get the better of most when its there on tap, including me.

Master
    So.

Today I ordered a red Speed Twin with V&H pipes.

Added in the headlamp bezel as it does add a touch of class, the front brake reservoir as the standard plastic one seems really cheap and nasty and out of kilter with the rest of the bike's quality, also the black air intake cover. That's it, there are 70 plus extras to include and there are a few bits and pieces I wouldn't mind but I will live it for a while and see what grates after that.

I found it amusing as my Striple is "fully loaded" with everything you could get at the time: the gel seat, fly screen and belly pan. Times have changed!

Hopefully early July delivery

It's called wheelie assist (or something similar). It just stops the wheelie getting too big. The R & RR have it. It's helped me out on both. It can be disabled on the RR & maybe on the R nowadays.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I didn’t even realise self-cancelling indicators were a thing on bikes.
    I think I’ve been operating at a different end of the scale to most of you guys...

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    I didn’t even realise self-cancelling indicators were a thing on bikes.
    I think I’ve been operating at a different end of the scale to most of you guys...
    My 1980-ish Yam SR500 (can't remember the year, French licence plates were not year related) had self cancelling indicators, and most of the bikes I have ridden since also did. BMW were always a bit special though.

So.

Today I ordered a red Speed Twin with V&H pipes.

Added in the headlamp bezel as it does add a touch of class, the front brake reservoir as the standard plastic one seems really cheap and nasty and out of kilter with the rest of the bike's quality, also the black air intake cover. That's it, there are 70 plus extras to include and there are a few bits and pieces I wouldn't mind but I will live it for a while and see what grates after that.

I found it amusing as my Striple is "fully loaded" with everything you could get at the time: the gel seat, fly screen and belly pan. Times have changed!

Hopefully early July delivery
    I've had my Speed Twin for over a year now, I bought most of the Triumph accessories but the two best mods I've done is a decat, this makes the bike sound like a 1200cc Twin should and gives a small performance increase too and I also put on K-Tech suspension front and rear, the Triumph suspension is really dreadful, especially the front, the improvement in comfort and handling is profound and worth the cost IMHO

My 1980-ish Yam SR500 (can't remember the year, French licence plates were not year related) had self cancelling indicators, and most of the bikes I have ridden since also did. BMW were always a bit special though.
    Did it? Or was it just push to cancel?

My memory isn’t what it could be but I remember the 350lc was one of the first to have push to cancel indicators which was quite a big thing in those days. It was (still is on my GPz) a pain trying to find “off” on most bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Did it? Or was it just push to cancel?

My memory isn’t what it could be but I remember the 350lc was one of the first to have push to cancel indicators which was quite a big thing in those days. It was (still is on my GPz) a pain trying to find “off” on most bikes!
    My memory may be a bit fuzzy too but I believe it had both push to cancel and would cancel itself after a few seconds. I remember more the joys of trying to get it started when cold...

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I've had my Speed Twin for over a year now, I bought most of the Triumph accessories but the two best mods I've done is a decat, this makes the bike sound like a 1200cc Twin should and gives a small performance increase too and I also put on K-Tech suspension front and rear, the Triumph suspension is really dreadful, especially the front, the improvement in comfort and handling is profound and worth the cost IMHO
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that's got a bit carried away with the Triumph accessory catalogue! 28 catalogue items on my SS, plus all the non-Triumph stuff...

It's all a bit scary when you tot it all up. I reckon I've got about £5k in additional bits and bobs on it. Eeek.

Edit: oh hang on, make that nearer £6k as I'd forgotten to include BMW Nav VI, BMW mount and wiring loom, SW-Motech bracket for it and the TPMS.

I should have save money and bought a Bond edition
    Last edited by Gyp; 17th June 2020 at 10:29.

Glad it's not just me, then

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's got a bit carried away with the Triumph accessory catalogue! 28 catalogue items on my SS, plus all the non-Triumph stuff...

It's all a bit scary when you tot it all up. I reckon I've got about £5k in additional bits and bobs on it. Eeek.

Edit: oh hang on, make that nearer £6k as I'd forgotten to include BMW Nav VI, BMW mount and wiring loom, SW-Motech bracket for it and the TPMS.

I should have save money and bought a Bond edition

It's how they get you, I got most with the new bike order then added more with the first service, current state of play is

Triumph Dealer Supplied and Fitted

Headlight Bezel
    Quilted Seat
    Vance & Hines Exhaust
    CNC Machined Brake Reservoir
    Heated Grips
    Black Intake Covers
    Tail Tidy
    Machined Black Levers
    Machined Oil Filler Cap
    Paddock Stand Bobbins
    Brushed Clutch Badge
    Brushed ACG Badge
    Black Sump Guard
    Round LED Indicators
    Aluminum Chain Guard
    Aluminum Dust Caps
    TEC Decat (dealer fitted)
    Optimate and charge lead fitted

Independent Suspension Specialist & Tuner

K-Tech Razor rear Shocks
    K-Tech Front Cartridge Kit
    Professional set up
    Power Commander

DIY

Motone Billet Union Jack Radiator Cover

https://www.motone.co.uk/motorcycle-...ck-black-p2048
    Last edited by Vanguard; 17th June 2020 at 12:45.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Glad it's not just me, then
    Wait until your order your new Speed Twin Tony

Master
    TBH, I'm not much of a tinkerer, other than the factory extras I had fitted when I bought it I have literally changed nothing on my Striple in the 12 years I have owned it.

Interested in your (@Vanguard) comments though. In my test ride I was very happy with the suspension, on a mixture of road types so I will live with that for now, but agree that is something that a more long term view can expose issues with. The decat I am a bit tempted by but put off by MOT time faff as I will hopefully keep this a long time, in fact it might see me out motorcycling-wise!

Blog Entries
    Found a company that do an aftermarket kit, so will be looking into these.

https://safer-turn.com

Craftsman
    When I bought the Tiger in 2011 I got a spattering of extras installed. All bar the centre stand - heated grips, high beak, touring screen, have been replaced - grips with Oxfords, touring screen with original "short" screen, or removed - high beak. Other Triumph parts fitted after the original purchase have faired better - front and rear fender extenders. I can only put it down to the excitement of purchasing causing me to go mad. So now when looking and using those damned configurators I steer clear initially

Found a company that do an aftermarket kit, so will be looking into these.

https://safer-turn.com
    Good find. The smart brake is also a clever option

TBH, I'm not much of a tinkerer, other than the factory extras I had fitted when I bought it I have literally changed nothing on my Striple in the 12 years I have owned it.

Interested in your (@Vanguard) comments though. In my test ride I was very happy with the suspension, on a mixture of road types so I will live with that for now, but agree that is something that a more long term view can expose issues with. The decat I am a bit tempted by but put off by MOT time faff as I will hopefully keep this a long time, in fact it might see me out motorcycling-wise!
    No MOT issues on a decat as they don't test bike emissions

Standard front suspension- massive fork dive, slams into pot holes and front end does not track that well into a fast corner.

K-Tech front suspension - very little fork dive, glides over large bumps/holes, does not send shocks up your arms, front end feels much more stable tipping into a slow or fast corner

Same story pretty much with the rear, just holds a line better and much more comfortable and controlled, it's hard to explain you just need to ride one, if you rode my bike you'd feel the benefits within a few hundred yards

You don't know how bad the suspension is on a bike until you try one with good suspension, it's a revelation and massively improves the enjoyment, it's like 10% of the cost of the bike for a 100% improvement.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 17th June 2020 at 14:49.

It's how they get you, I got most with the new bike order then added more with the first service, current state of play is

Headlight Bezel
    Quilted Seat
    CNC Machined Brake Reservoir
    Heated Grips
    Black Intake Covers
    Tail Tidy
    Machined Black Levers
    Machined Oil Filler Cap
    Paddock Stand Bobbins
    Brushed Clutch Badge
    Brushed ACG Badge
    Black Sump Guard
    Round LED Indicators
    Aluminum Chain Guard
    Aluminum Dust Caps
    TEC Decat (dealer fitted)
    Optimate and charge lead fitted

Independent Suspension Specialist & Tuner

K-Tech Razor rear Shocks
    K-Tech Front Cartridge Kit
    Professional set up
    Power Commander

DIY

Motone Billet Union Jack Radiator Cover

https://www.motone.co.uk/motorcycle-...ck-black-p2048

Centre stand
    Heated grips
    Headlight grille
    High level mudguard

DIY stuff from Mr Triumph

Dual Seat
    Black Intake Covers
    Machined Black Levers
    Black Clutch Badge
    Black ACG Badge
    Ally Sump Guard
    Dresser bars
    LED Indicators front and rear
    luggage rack
    Fox shocks
    V&H silencer (not currently fitted)
    off road footrests front and rear and gear change (on the way)
    Summer screen (not currently fitted)
    Touring screen
    Rack with top box fittings x2 (see below)
    Number board x2 (one fitted, one on the way)
    Pannier mount
    Rugged pannier
    12 volt socket
    Catalytic converter (see below)

DIY specialist stuff not from Mr Triumph

Givi rack for Tiger 1050, expensively mated with the racks bought up there to form Street Scrambler luggage system
    Givi Trekker panniers (2x33l and 1x46l)
    Scottoiler
    Oxford clock mounted on bespoke bracket
    BMW Navigator VI, with 4-button cradle and SW-Motech mount
    Ctek comfort indicator/charger connector
    FOBO Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
    Bespoke vinyl graphics on number boards
    LED headlamp
    LED front side light
    Meerkat (Australian) decat (not currently fitted)

Under consideration - not sure, it might be a little too much...
    CNC machined front brake reservoir
    Motone Monza gas cap

You don't know how bad the suspension is on a bike until you try one with good suspension, it's a revelation and massively improves the enjoyment, it's like 10% of the cost of the bike for a 100% improvement.
    The stock suspension on my BMW R1200R Sport is massively better than that fitted to the Triumph Street Scrambler on the road, however the Triumph suspension starts to make sense when I get off road as goes from being overly firm and damped to being able to cope with bouncing about on gravel etc