closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 109 of 357 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159209 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,450 of 17848

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Noise camera being trialled in Paris - apparently being rolled out soon in Germany, where there are rumours on non-electric motorbikes being banned at weekends.

Bans already in place in Austria.

The times they are a'changin...

I suspect if fitting illegally-loud exhausts to motorbikes wasn't such a common occurrence then this sort of change would not be coming. Bikes with original fitment exhausts rarely get noticed, though even road-legal after-market cans can be quite fruity. There's no justification for fitting a full race system to a road bike.

Full disclosure - I have an Akrapovic on the BMW and a Vance and Hines for the Triumph. I have owned bikes with race cans before, had a tuned Harley with straight through pipes and nothing is more pleasing to my ear than 2-stroke wailing away through a pair of Micron or Allspeed expansion chambers. Whilst I fully admit to being part of the problem, I've started to move back towards standard systems, especially as I'm realising that my pleasure is not the same for others.

Oh, and for the record, loud pipes save lives is utter rubbish, but paying attention and riding defensively does

Loud pipes - I can’t see the attraction myself. It must be hell riding one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I suspect if fitting illegally-loud exhausts to motorbikes wasn't such a common occurrence then this sort of change would not be coming. Bikes with original fitment exhausts rarely get noticed, though even road-legal after-market cans can be quite fruity. There's no justification for fitting a full race system to a road bike.

Full disclosure - I have an Akrapovic on the BMW and a Vance and Hines for the Triumph. I have owned bikes with race cans before, had a tuned Harley with straight through pipes and nothing is more pleasing to my ear than 2-stroke wailing away through a pair of Micron or Allspeed expansion chambers. Whilst I fully admit to being part of the problem, I've started to move back towards standard systems, especially as I'm realising that my pleasure is not the same for others.

Oh, and for the record, loud pipes save lives is utter rubbish, but paying attention and riding defensively does
    Funny you should say that, Ian, as - having already fitted the baffle to my Unit Garage can - I'm now contemplating going back to the stock Akrapovic shotguns. In some ways I love the sound of the UG, but there's no doubt that the stock cans give you a more comfortable ride.

Do you guys not wear ear plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yes I do. But if I'm using my GPS with earbuds the engine noise is very intrusive. Also, if I'm using my Sena (with their speakers installed inside the helmet) earplugs make it very hard to hear.

To reduce wind noise yes (depending on which bike I'm riding), but stopping to issue them to everyone within 5 miles of my expected route and ensuring they can put them in properly and do so is the time consuming bit.

Craftsman

I agree - I have also been through this process over the years and as I become more sensible (old, boring, etc fill in what you wish here!) I keep my bikes standard with OE exhausts. I remember when I had a KTM supermotard with a very loud pipe and after a few weeks put the standard one back on. Not only did my stress levels reduce but I stopped riding like a fool and calmed me down not just blatting about from one set of lights to the next - or maybe that says something about me.

I've also had Harleys with loud pipes and toured Europe with them but found the whole experience tiring and trying - and that wasn't because they are HD's! It was the pipes. Yes, they do sound great but I found mile after mile of thud, thud, thud made for a hard ride. I also noticed how often I filter between traffic to get to the front of a queue of traffic to see all the car drivers shutting their windows with grumpy drivers not looking happy! Switched the standard and all calm again.

So for me, whilst they sound great for a short while, they do nothing to enhance any riding over a few miles and certainately do nothing for any full days of 'proper' riding across many miles.
    Last edited by Eddiex; 6th June 2020 at 12:13.

I’m not sure what this one will sound like!

There is a baffle at the end though.

Master
    Out of interest, which type? I have been using some fairly generic soft memory foam type things made by Oxford but I am finding they put too much pressure on the inside of my ear. I had to stop to take them out on last week’s ride.

Anyone use the custom mouldable outer ear type?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Out of interest, which type? I have been using some fairly generic soft memory foam type things made by Oxford but I am finding they put too much pressure on the inside of my ear. I had to stop to take them out on last week’s ride.

These - https://www.screwfix.com/p/howard-le...00-pairs/38688

Once you get the hang of putting them in properly, like all ear plugs, they are superb and very cheap

I've had custom moulded, but after a while they don't seal so well - there's no flex so they rely on your ear canal remaining exactly the same shape as it was on the day they were moulded.

Master

I'm using these at the moment...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the money, they work very well - reducing wind noise whilst still allowing me to hear traffic, sirens, and phone etc. They are also comfortable - hardly noticeable.

I was/am planning to try some "customguards" but it needs a visit somewhere to get the mould impressions made, so it will have to wait a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    I've also had Harleys with loud pipes and toured Europe with them but found the whole experience tiring and trying - and that wasn't because they are HD's! It was the pipes. Yes, they do sound great but I found mile after mile of thud, thud, thud made for a hard ride. I also noticed how often I filter between traffic to get to the front of a queue of traffic to see all the car drivers shutting their windows with grumpy drivers not looking happy! Switched the standard and all calm again.
    Catch with Harley is they did everything they possibly could to make the bike quieter for the drive-by noise tests whilst religiously maintaining the air-cooled engine. They also made their bikes in 3 versions; 49-state USA, California and export. The California version was near silent and emitted only kittens and rainbows, the one for the rest of the USA was not quite so restricted and the export version was set up to meet the requirements of the most restricted export market (Switzerland?)

As noise regs got more and more restrictive, so did their intakes and exhausts, so the bike was almost welded shut when new to meet the regs. Opening up the intake and exhaust (the "stage 1 tune") was necessary to actually let the bike breathe sufficiently well that it would actually drive ok.

Of course few made it a little louder - perhaps louder than would be legal in Switzerland but maybe still within UK construction and use regs - but most went for something that would set off car alarms as you cruised past. (mine did).

Of course now, the addition on water and oil cooling to the bikes and clever tech means the engines are quieter and the exhausts can be louder and stay within the regs without the need for a stage 1 tune.

But people still do it though, as obviously they need to.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Loud pipes - I can’t see the attraction myself. It must be hell riding one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly this. I used to run an unrestricted pipe but given I was usually breaking a fair few laws I didn't want to attract unnecessary police attention.

When I fitted Termis to my Ducati I succumbed to the temptation to remove the baffles (it had a cat) to see what it was like and after a 2 mile journey they went straight back in.

I have used ultimate ear - the attenuation is probably a bit less than the foam ones but they are so comfortable and easy to put in they are just part of putting my helmet on now and wear on short journeys. The Alpine ones are good but found I had to force them in a bit and they were much more awkward to use.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I have used ultimate ear - the attenuation is probably a bit less than the foam ones but they are so comfortable and easy to put in they are just part of putting my helmet on now and wear on short journeys. The Alpine ones are good but found I had to force them in a bit and they were much more awkward to use.
    I agree, the Alpine ones are a bit of a faff to put in - to the degree that I don't bother on short journeys. I think that's why I want to try the moulded type.

I have the filtered plugs at £85 and they work very well. I also have a Sena kit inside the Schuberth and can hear fine. I don't do direction sounds on satnav but I do do phonecalls, music, and even talk radio and can hear it all fine.

https://www.ultimateear.com/product-...cle-ear-plugs/

£85 filtered plug. Works perfectly.

The latest object of my desire (well, not quite the latest as it's been jockeying for attention since around the time I bought the Street Triple). The 821 has a good spec, actually, and when I played with it last time I found it really comfortable - I see a test ride looming, although frankly it's probably an awful idea. The Stealth model is simply gorgeous.

As I'm finding myself being drawn to a Road king special, I reckon the Ducati is a sensible option.

Master
    Excellent information and some good tips to follow up. Need to get something I am happy with on long journeys and it’s worth spending a bit to get it right.

These - https://www.screwfix.com/p/howard-le...00-pairs/38688

Once you get the hang of putting them in properly, like all ear plugs, they are superb and very cheap

I've had custom moulded, but after a while they don't seal so well - there's no flex so they rely on your ear canal remaining exactly the same shape as it was on the day they were moulded.
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I'm using these at the moment...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the money, they work very well - reducing wind noise whilst still allowing me to hear traffic, sirens, and phone etc. They are also comfortable - hardly noticeable.

I was/am planning to try some "customguards" but it needs a visit somewhere to get the mould impressions made, so it will have to wait a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I agree, the Alpine ones are a bit of a faff to put in - to the degree that I don't bother on short journeys. I think that's why I want to try the moulded type.
    I have the filtered plugs at £85 and they work very well. I also have a Sena kit inside the Schuberth and can hear fine. I don't do direction sounds on satnav but I do do phonecalls, music, and even talk radio and can hear it all fine.

I use these NoNoise plugs - they're superb.

As I'm finding myself being drawn to a Road king special, I reckon the Ducati is a sensible option.
    Haha... yes indeed! I'm actually trying to book a test ride but - although On Yer Bike Ducati is technically open - nobody's answering the phone!

Master
    I will try them but they look like they will still create pressure on the inner ear canal, something I am trying to avoid as I find it uncomfortable on longer rides.

I use these NoNoise plugs - they're superb.

Earplugs reduce wind noise for me but increase my tinnitus volume. Can't win!

I used Auritech plugs until they wore out/split (after several years regular use) and I then moved to Alpine ones, which I am still using. I don't always use them if I'm just going up the road, within urban speed limits, but I will put them in if I'm likely to go out of town. They work well for me although if I'm using a helmet with speakers in I do have to turn the volume up pretty loud (anyone near me when I stop can hear my music )

If I'm on a longer trip I use my Ultimateear bluetooth custom earplugs: superb device - very clear sound, don't need high volume, effective wind noise reduction.

Saw this today on the GWF (Greek Watch Forum) Smiths London Tachymeter.
    Bike brand unknown ...

Jo (from Greece)

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Earplugs reduce wind noise for me but increase my tinnitus volume. Can't win!
    same problem , ive had tinnitus from my early 20's from working in engineering (when i did my apprenticeship earplugs were not compulsory ) , i'd rather listen to the wind noise than the tinnitus .

Master
    BSA WM20?

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Hande View Post
    Saw this today on the GWF (Greek Watch Forum) Smiths London Tachymeter.
    Bike brand unknown ...

Jo (from Greece)
    Last edited by Gurmot; 7th June 2020 at 16:03.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

More bike related stuff

The latest object of my desire (well, not quite the latest as it's been jockeying for attention since around the time I bought the Street Triple). The 821 has a good spec, actually, and when I played with it last time I found it really comfortable - I see a test ride looming, although frankly it's probably an awful idea. The Stealth model is simply gorgeous.

I had the Diavel stealth Tony. When new the matte paint does look superb and to die for. However, once it is marked, its there forever. A simple hairline, like say you brush you jacket zip on the tank accidentally is there forever. It cant be polished out like a gloss finish. It also shows every little fingerprint and just seems to mark for fun. It absolutely frustrated the hell out of me, I would be finding hairlines regularly and had no idea where they came from. I used all the right stuff to wash, wax and protect it but it still marked so damn easily. I dont know if Ducati matte paint is softer than other manufacturers. Go for a test ride and ‘accidentally’ just catch the paint with even your fingernail, you’ll see what I mean. Actually dont do that, cant believe I suggested it tbh.. I just know I’ll never ever have another matte finish bike.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by cinnabull; 7th June 2020 at 19:44.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    I had the Diavel stealth Tony. When new the matte paint does look superb and to die for. However, once it is marked, its there forever. A simple hairline, like say you brush you jacket zip on the tank accidentally is there forever. It cant be polished out like a gloss finish. It also shows every little fingerprint and just seems to mark for fun. It absolutely frustrated the hell out of me, I would be finding hairlines regularly and had no idea where they came from. I used all the right stuff to wash, wax and protect it but it still marked so damn easily. I dont know if Ducati matte paint is softer than other manufacturers. Go for a test ride and ‘accidentally’ just catch the paint with even your fingernail, you’ll see what I mean. Actually dont do that, cant believe I suggested it tbh.. I just know I’ll never ever have another matte finish bike.

Stuart

An extra 800 here for that paint!! I'd buy the red one and have it wrapped if I was that way inclined. But I like red, so not.

Stuart

Actually, Stuart, that’s very good intelligence. Not 100% sure that I’m as much into the alternative (red) but I’ll have a proper look at it.

Master

Well I pride myself on keeping updated on new bikes but that 821 was missed me completely. What a great looking bike , thats now on the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    An extra 800 here for that paint!! I'd buy the red one and have it wrapped if I was that way inclined. But I like red, so not.
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Well I pride myself on keeping updated on new bikes but that 821 was missed me completely. What a great looking bike , thats now on the radar.
    Ditto

Master

More bike related stuff

Actually, Stuart, that’s very good intelligence. Not 100% sure that I’m as much into the alternative (red) but I’ll have a proper look at it.
    You may be able to find a yellow one... This one is 2019 with zero miles:

Last edited by downer; 7th June 2020 at 21:45.

You may be able to find a yellow one...
    I think I prefer that, actually. Will be interesting to have a proper look at all the options.

Stuart

You must have been unlucky - the matt paintwork of my 5 year old Stealth is holding up without any marks

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    You must have been unlucky - the matt paintwork of my 5 year old Stealth is holding up without any marks
    Yeah I dont know what it was with my Diavel. I actually became sort of obsessed with it, it seemed to mark and scratch so easily. I’m not talking deep scratches either, I can only compare them to hairlines on watches. It was kept in the garage and my partner isnt clumsy or careless when she goes in there. I was careful getting on and off etc, and very aware of my jackets zip etc. It wasnt literally covered in scratches, but the point is those that were there cant be removed, unlike a gloss finish. Maybe the batch of paint on mine was soft, who knows. I must say though, I’ve seen others with similar ‘damage’. The thing is as well, once you know they are there you tend to notice them more.

Stuart

Test ride now booked in for next Monday (thanks Phil!). Can't wait.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I cant find the thread about plates did someone say a 8x6 inch plate was OK with seven characters?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I cant find the thread about plates did someone say a 8x6 inch plate was OK with seven characters?
    This site - https://www.jdmplates.co.uk/product/...number-plates/ - explains the rules and allows you to order the smallest legal plate for your given set of letters and numbers.

Master

Small at only 250cc but beautifuly agile

Quick ride on the KR1 tonight prior to an oil change, you just look at corner tip it in and its just tracks like a pedigree bike that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Quick ride on the KR1 tonight prior to an oil change, you just look at corner tip it in and its just tracks like a pedigree bike that it is.

That’s a lovely thing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With the recent change in weather here in the UK and being in possession of a nice shiny new bike I've been in the shed recently doing some 'fettling'. This has lead me to realise that at 53 I've collected a real mish-mash of tools over the years very much on an 'as required' basis.

I generally get by with what I have but wondered what you might all consider as the 'must haves' on the tool front? No doubt some of you will have the full Snap-on catalogue in your huge garages but what should a mere mortal have to hand.......and what brands won't break the bank yet still not break on first use?

Thoughts?

Craftsman
    Like you I have a 'mish mash' of tools collected over the years. I purchased a few snap on tools but on balance I don't do enough serious spannering to justify them really.

For the occasional fixing, etc many people rate the Halfords Professional range which, I believe, have a lifetime guarantee as well. I have a few bits and they seem pretty good.

if you are going to be doing your own services /repairs etc and dont own one i'd get a decent torque wrench.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This site - https://www.jdmplates.co.uk/product/...number-plates/ - explains the rules and allows you to order the smallest legal plate for your given set of letters and numbers.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    With the recent change in weather here in the UK and being in possession of a nice shiny new bike I've been in the shed recently doing some 'fettling'. This has lead me to realise that at 53 I've collected a real mish-mash of tools over the years very much on an 'as required' basis.

I generally get by with what I have but wondered what you might all consider as the 'must haves' on the tool front? No doubt some of you will have the full Snap-on catalogue in your huge garages but what should a mere mortal have to hand.......and what brands won't break the bank yet still not break on first use?

Thoughts?
    I generally use the Halfords Professional tools. They’re excellent quality, guaranteed for life and won’t break the bank, particularly if you buy on one of their regular deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Like you I have a 'mish mash' of tools collected over the years. I purchased a few snap on tools but on balance I don't do enough serious spannering to justify them really.

For the occasional fixing, etc many people rate the Halfords Professional range which, I believe, have a lifetime guarantee as well. I have a few bits and they seem pretty good.
    Agreed re Halfords, and for the following.
    For smaller screws/bolts I would go for a torque wrench suitable for low torques.
    This is sold as being for pushbikes but is good for the smaller stuff.
    https://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/701767...5&fmt=webp&v=1

Another + for Halfords.
    Value for money, they're tough to beat.
    Their torque wrenches are pretty good too.
    I had one fail after 9 years, they replaced it without quibble.
    I use a lot of Koken. Especially ratchets. I found the Halfords Pro ones had a habit of switching direction when you're in a hurry. The Koken are very similar to SnapOn, but made in Japan. High quality, at sensible prices.