closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 177 of 358 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227277 ... LastLast
Results 8,801 to 8,850 of 17884

Thread: More bike related stuff

My experience of riding an Aprilia RSV1000 factory was about 10 years ago, but the abiding memory was of sore wrists and a sore bum, so much so it overwhelmed the pleasure of the bike's performance.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’m not getting any more flexible!
    That's half the trouble these days; having sold my R1200 and a couple of watches recently, and having had no expensive holidays in the last 12 months, I'm in a favourable position when it comes to buying my next bike.

I could possibly buy the sort of bike that I've hankered after for years; the Kawasaki Z H2 looks fun, the new Suzuki Hayabusa would be epic and the nearly-ready Langen 2-stroke would allow me to relive my smoked-clouded teenage years but with a modern wrapping.

However, with knackered knees, relatively inflexible hips, arthritic fingers, a neck that's constantly sore with reduced mobility and a waistline that makes me more beach ball ready than beach body ready I just couldn't ride any of the ruddy things.

Which is why I'm making room in the garage for an over priced, overweight, simple 2-litre tractor of a bike that I can sit upright on and potter about on into my dotage.

The younger me wouldn't understand, but then the younger me could easily ride an H2, Hayabusa or even a Langen.

Sorry it wasn’t clear, I am thinking of the Tuono. I had an RSV but realise I may need a physio after an hours ride!

I loved the one I had and the Tuono has the same engine so was hoping it would be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    That's half the trouble these days; having sold my R1200 and a couple of watches recently, and having had no expensive holidays in the last 12 months, I'm in a favourable position when it comes to buying my next bike.

I could possibly buy the sort of bike that I've hankered after for years; the Kawasaki Z H2 looks fun, the new Suzuki Hayabusa would be epic and the nearly-ready Langen 2-stroke would allow me to relive my smoked-clouded teenage years but with a modern wrapping.

However, with knackered knees, relatively inflexible hips, arthritic fingers, a neck that's constantly sore with reduced mobility and a waistline that makes me more beach ball ready than beach body ready I just couldn't ride any of the ruddy things.

Which is why I'm making room in the garage for an over priced, overweight, simple 2-litre tractor of a bike that I can sit upright on and potter about on into my dotage.

The younger me wouldn't understand, but then the younger me could easily ride an H2, Hayabusa or even a Langen.
    Go for classics: fabulous looks, usually significantly smaller/lighter so easier on hips/knees. If you have a decent budget (and your post says yes) you can get a fully sorted one easily, be it British, German or Japanese (Italian would find you facing the same conundrum as the ones you long after, with challenging electrics).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Always wanted a Tuono, but ended up with. Speed Triple (which I didn’t regret one bit). The Tuono is the badass option though, worth buying for the sound alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Go for classics: fabulous looks, usually significantly smaller/lighter so easier on hips/knees. If you have a decent budget (and your post says yes) you can get a fully sorted one easily, be it British, German or Japanese (Italian would find you facing the same conundrum as the ones you long after, with challenging electrics).
    Ah, I'm still retaining the Triumph as a second bike and the old boxer as a third bike and the other older boxer as a forth bike. For the moment at least.

There’s a lot to be said for a comfy thumping tractor! Makes a lot more sense on the road in almost every way than a tuned litre screamer. And way more fun at legal speeds.

Ah, I'm still retaining the Triumph as a second bike and the old boxer as a third bike and the other older boxer as a forth bike. For the moment at least.
    Pray tell us more about those 3. Photos would be nice

The trouble with the classics is that they are generally big and heavy. My 83 GPz750 weighs a ton (not literally but it’s bloody heavy).
    Modern, classic style bikes are a much better bet really; I’m still drawn to a Triumph street twin or a Harley Street Rod 750 for that very reason. I’m obviously not there yet though as I’ve just bought a big lump XJR1300. I do have three XJR400s in my eBay watching list though too.

I’m consciously trying not to look at the bikes I’d have bought ten to fifteen years ago though, R1, ZX10, GSXR etc.

The trouble with the classics is that they are generally big and heavy. My 83 GPz750 weighs a ton (not literally but it’s bloody heavy).
    Modern, classic style bikes are a much better bet really; I’m still drawn to a Triumph street twin or a Harley Street Rod 750 for that very reason. I’m obviously not there yet though as I’ve just bought a big lump XJR1300. I do have three XJR400s in my eBay watching list though too.

I’m consciously trying not to look at the bikes I’d have bought ten to fifteen years ago though, R1, ZX10, GSXR etc.
    Classic Brits and German were quite light. Compare a proper Bonnie or Tiger 750 to a modern one!
    Most multi cylinders 80s Japanese did indeed suffer from excessive bulk... unless you went 2 strokes.

Pray tell us more about those 3. Photos would be nice
    OK I cheated a little as my Triumph is a modern classic, so it starts reliably, handles and stops and doesn't leak that much.

The younger old boxer is the R80RT, a cancelled Met Police order (they bought a K75 instead)

Big, comfy, but a bit wobbly by modern standards

Occasionally used for towing duty

And the older old boxer is an R65, fitted with a genuine BMW RS fairing - they made slightly different ones for the R45/R65 as the bikes were a little smaller than the 800cc/1000cc variants

The riding position isn't suited to me any more but by son seems keen to get it going again and he's still flexible

the 'new' retro z900rs is worth a look as well - its a cracking bike that looks old school but has all the modern bits you can use.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    the 'new' retro z900rs is worth a look as well - its a cracking bike that looks old school but has all the modern bits you can use.
    I was at the bike show with high hopes the year that they were announced but came away disappointed by their bulk. The following year I expected the same from the new Katana but was pleasantly surprised.

The z900rs is still on the radar though but the Katana is no longer in my sights; I really don’t like the look of it any more.

I was at the bike show with high hopes the year that they were announced but came away disappointed by their bulk. The following year I expected the same from the new Katana but was pleasantly surprised.

The z900rs is still on the radar though but the Katana is no longer in my sights; I really don’t like the look of it any more.
    The original 1000 homologation special and the 1100 looked brilliant. The 250 and 400 Japanese ones looked like scaled down versions and were lovely too

The later 650 and current 1000, along with every moped with a Katana badge are awful

Very nice, thank you

When you said "older Boxer" I was expecting something like this:

or this

The original 1000 homologation special and the 1100 looked brilliant. The 250 and 400 Japanese ones looked like scaled down versions and were lovely too

The later 650 and current 1000, along with every moped with a Katana badge are awful
    I think the 550/650 kats were released about the same time as the big ones or maybe the following year. I agree it’s not as good looking though but not as bad as the hideous 750 with the pop up headlight!

Very nice, thank you

When you said "older Boxer" I was expecting something like this:
    Afraid not, more are only 30-40 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    That Turbo Zed is awesome, so different from the crowd.

On that note I did follow the crowd and now have my 2004 GS one owner bike.

In for a service next week, some new decals and only slight corrosion on the header which is I’ll be easy enough.

This is ready to tour, I have panniers, tip box, tank bag, sat nav, there really is nothing I can buy for this bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m sure the Touratech catalogue would disagree with you on that....

OK I cheated a little as my Triumph is a modern classic, so it starts reliably, handles and stops and doesn't leak that much.

The younger old boxer is the R80RT, a cancelled Met Police order (they bought a K75 instead)

Big, comfy, but a bit wobbly by modern standards

Occasionally used for towing duty

And the older old boxer is an R65, fitted with a genuine BMW RS fairing - they made slightly different ones for the R45/R65 as the bikes were a little smaller than the 800cc/1000cc variants

The riding position isn't suited to me any more but by son seems keen to get it going again and he's still flexible

Ooooohhh a Rover P6 too??

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Yes, he has a few toys

I think the 550/650 kats were released about the same time as the big ones or maybe the following year. I agree it’s not as good looking though but not as bad as the hideous 750 with the pop up headlight!
    Having looked back the Katana range is more complex than I realised, with some styled on the original and many not.

To avoid me spending all my day looking at pictures of Katanas rather than working, I'll say those that are styled on the original 1000/1100 are lovely. The original 550/650 with round headlights are ok, but not proper Katanas. Everything else, with or without a pop-up headlight should be dropped in a canal.

P5B - now gone to a new home where it is getting a full nut and bolt restoration and ending up Silver Birch over Admiralty Blue with a beige interior

More bike related stuff

That’s a P5!

Edit: beaten to it.

My BIL has a lovely P5b in his garage along with a couple of mk1 Granadas.

Do the driving lights pop out or something ?

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Do the driving lights pop out or something ?
    Yes, one driving, one fog, with big levers built into the fairing

550, 650 and 1000/1100 are the `real` Kats (by Target design), the rest are not worthy to share the name.

I`ve had all 3, first one was a newy in 1984;

..then a 650 and 1100;

I keep having a recurring dream about the 1100 - i `find` it under a tarp in the corner of my garage after years in storage in original and pristine condition, original exhausts and everything, low mileage and fantasize about it`s now current value..

Master
    A&D in Denbigh have a 0 Mileage 1100 Katana in the showroom..

And The owner of Woods Motorcycles in Abergele has a 1000 Katana in the showroom that he’s owned from new. It has a Sold sticker on it because he got fed up of people asking him to sell it to them.. (he’d never sell it)👍

Master
    Andrew you have just mentioned the two nicest bike shops to me pre Covid. i would do both plus two brews in one ride . How much am I looking fwd to a relaxing of the travel rules.
    Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Andrew you have just mentioned the two nicest bike shops to me pre Covid. i would do both plus two brews in one ride . How much am I looking fwd to a relaxing of the travel rules.
    Steve
    Yes the cafe at Denbigh A&D is not only very inexpensive the food is pretty good too.. £3.95 for a full English with a cuppa, and cooked fresh for each customer.. No complaints from me.👍👍

Master
    Went to see my GPZ today for the first time since landing in the UK. Chuffed. Lovely original condition for a 30yo. A few tweaks to get her perfect, and then can’t wait to enjoy her as intended :-)

That’s a beauty; best model in the best colours.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Went to see my GPZ today for the first time since landing in the UK. Chuffed. Lovely original condition for a 30yo. A few tweaks to get her perfect, and then can’t wait to enjoy her as intended :-)

That looks mint!

Wow. What’s the story there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    That looks mint!

Wow. What’s the story there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    She wears some light patina from just being an old girl, but was well looked after by the previous owners. Last owner had her 11 years as part of a collection. Came with an extra original seat which is still in good condition, both original keys, original owners manual, etc. I plan on riding her first before deciding what to improve/restore to brand new. Carbs need some balancing but otherwise can’t wait to get out on her!

Journeyman

This was my last bike (not this one but same colours) absolute dream
    I found the owners club a godsend https://gpzzone.com/gpz-900r-owners-club

Master
    My second one was the exact same colour as this one. I bought it new in August 1991. It was the first brand new bike I’d ever bought.
    This model was quite a step up from my previous one. 17” front wheel, wider rear tyre, and 4 pot brakes to name a few of the improvements. But it actually felt a little down on power compared to the older model. I put it down to the new carbs which now had water heating the bodies to fix the supposed icing issue (that my old bike never suffered from)

Then just a few months after I’d got it my uncle bought a ZZR1100, which I got to ride, and that was it, I had to have the ZZR.

To me the GPz900 was the first really modern bike I’d ever owned, it was fast, reliable, and handled well. All of those things that even today make it a great bike.

Master
    Absolutely guarantee you that the dyno was broken.

Factory output of an SP2 was between 125 -133bhp I believe. Those were the magazine and press figures so they may been a bit optimistic too. I had an SP1 in 2006 . Only had it for a year. Wasted on me and my abilities:)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My second one was the exact same colour as this one. I bought it new in August 1991. It was the first brand new bike I’d ever bought.
    This model was quite a step up from my previous one. 17” front wheel, wider rear tyre, and 4 pot brakes to name a few of the improvements. But it actually felt a little down on power compared to the older model. I put it down to the new carbs which now had water heating the bodies to fix the supposed icing issue (that my old bike never suffered from)

Then just a few months after I’d got it my uncle bought a ZZR1100, which I got to ride, and that was it, I had to have the ZZR.

To me the GPz900 was the first really modern bike I’d ever owned, it was fast, reliable, and handled well. All of those things that even today make it a great bike.
    Older models are almost always freer breathing etc as new ones get strangled by emissions controls. But my preference is always for the final/latest iteration of any given model to benefit from the various manufacturer refinements - especially on a bike like the GPZ that lasted over a decade. It seems there are many straightforward upgrades to the engine given the very long evolution of the basic block that was used in later K-bikes. That being said, I'm not interested in chasing power but usability. Whether it makes +/- 5-10hp either way is meaningless imho if I can't get the throttle responsiveness and power linearity. One thing I already love is just how slim it is at the tank for an IL4, especially coming from V-twins.

Master
    Managed to get the CB750 through its MOT today. So after her sitting in various peoples sheds for the last 10 or so years, I’m looking forward now to getting out when the weather turns for the better. She did go rather well during her shakedown run and going to/from the test centre, although I may need to think about raising the front end a touch as there is a slight exhaust rub on road humps.

Somewhat ironically, having stripped and rebuilt her as a cafe style over winter, the only piece of work which I entrusted to a garage (changing the tyres) resulted in an advisory !! They’ve either not changed the valves or used cheap valves, as the tester has noted that one of them appears to have a small split. Not too happy about that at all, and will be having words with that tyre guy.
    Andy.

I am a bit excited... no Tuono, but went over budget, and have a different incoming that some of you may recognise . Pics to follow when I pick it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I am a bit excited... no Tuono, but went over budget, and have a different incoming that some of you may recognise . Pics to follow when I pick it up!
    It's not Tangerine Dream, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It's not Tangerine Dream, is it?
    Are you some sort of shaman Tony?

Are you some sort of shaman Tony?
    Haha... just had a strange feeling, Matt :)

Haha... just had a strange feeling, Matt :)
    A correct one! Never thought I’d have two BMWs... but can’t wait

A correct one! Never thought I’d have two BMWs... but can’t wait
    I do miss that bike. Can’t believe Greg sold it though.

I do miss that bike. Can’t believe Greg sold it though.
    Im pretty gutted Tony, not an easy decision but I’m struggling to get more than 20-30 minutes on the bike with my wrists now. Once I can take a step back on the work front I’m sure it will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Im pretty gutted Tony, not an easy decision but I’m struggling to get more than 20-30 minutes on the bike with my wrists now. Once I can take a step back on the work front I’m sure it will get better.
    That’s a bummer!

Gutted for you Greg, but it’s coming to a good home.

Gutted for you Greg, but it’s coming to a good home.
    I know it is, I’m sure you’ll both be very happy together. I’m already missing it and it’s still in my garage!

Master
    For many years SC has allowed “ forum favourites “ to circulate within the membership. Maybe we are seeing this the Tangerine dream, the CB 1300 and the orange Ducati Scrambler. All staying within the forum and spreading the enjoyment.

Steve

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    For many years SC has allowed “ forum favourites “ to circulate within the membership. Maybe we are seeing this the Tangerine dream, the CB 1300 and the orange Ducati Scrambler. All staying within the forum and spreading the enjoyment.

Steve
    And let’s not forget Howard’s CB750 which seems to be doing the rounds. Possibly his CCM Spitfire too in the not too distant future?

I could see myself on Sparepart’s GPZ too when the time is right.