closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 121 of 358 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,050 of 17892

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, just a little update on my next bike ponderings (albeit that I'm more than happy to keep my present steed, which has fitted the bill perfectly well for some 14 months now)...

I do fancy the Speed Twin very much, having spent a few hours on it a couple of weeks ago. However, Triumph seem unable to offer me a meaningful-enough financial incentive to make an impulse purchase, and if I'm going to be paying full whack on it I'd rather wait until times are a little more comfortable in terms of financial security. I have to admit that I'm surprised there isn't some tangible movement given that the world's been in lockdown for so long, but it seems that the Speed Twin is a bike that they can't get into the dealerships quickly enough as every man and his dog apparently wants one.

The other major temptation over the past week has been an almost new and completely mint CCM Flat Tracker... gorgeous bikes that defy convention and look like custom builds... also made in very limited numbers (in fact, our own @madeofcheese has one, and he's about to be joined by another TZer who's awaiting delivery of something very special). Buying this one would just mean that I'd need to sell the 9T privately but given how lovely a bike it is I don't imagine that would be a problem. However, I've reluctantly concluded that a CCM might not be the most practical of choices for an only bike that's ridden all year, and I don't fancy keeping it outdoors under a Ridehide rather than in a heated garage where it belongs (damn my ex-wife wives!).

It looks, then, like I'll be continuing my love affair with Tangerine Dream for the foreseeable future. I can't say I'm particularly disappointed either - it's a gorgeous bike that's been really nicely modded and is now almost one of a kind.
    DO NOT... I repeat DO NOT click on this link Tony........

https://www.lind.co.uk/used/triumph/...twin/51413.htm

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Oh that's nice... how much???

For that money they could at least have done the rear shock springs and swingarm in black

More bike related stuff

Somewhat bizarrely, I don't like it. It should have black Ohlins forks and otherwise looks a bit of a mish-mash. The wheels are all wrong for starters.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 10th July 2020 at 17:57.

Grand Master
    Somewhat bizarrely, I don't like it. It should have black Ohlin forks and otherwise looks a bit of a mish-mash. The wheels are all wrong for starters.
    I had one of the first Thruxton R’s new and first thing I did was remove everything sliver and have to powder coated black, why they don’t do it or offer it as standard I don’t know. I guess its so they can milk the designs with TFC bullshit and aftermarket spares or they seem to release the ‘blacked’ models a year or 2 later
    RIAC

I’d rather a Thruxton R. There’s a lot you could do with the £5k change! Or £10k (just possible) if you don’t mind second hand.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I had one of the first Thruxton R’s new and first thing I did was remove everything sliver and have to powder coated black, why they don’t do it or offer it as standard I don’t know. I guess its so they can milk the designs with TFC bullshit and aftermarket spares or they seem to release the ‘blacked’ models a year or 2 later
    With you - I’d like to powder coat a shed load of stuff on the 9T too.

Actually, Triumph rarely produce a bike that’s aesthetically coherent in my view. Mismatched tanks and side panels are an oft-seen example, as well as bright silver heel guards and intake covers. I could go on...
    Last edited by learningtofly; 10th July 2020 at 17:50.

Somewhat bizarrely, I don't like it. It should have black Ohlin forks and otherwise looks a bit of a mish-mash. The wheels are all wrong for starters.
    I agree that the wheels are wrong, however for me Ohlins should always be yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I agree that the wheels are wrong, however for me Ohlins should always be yellow.
    You’ll be telling me you wear TT watches next :)

You’ll be telling me you wear TT watches next :)
    That's you off the Christmas card list!

Though there is a bit of colour going on today

Master
    Yup
    Ohlins Yellow,
    Hyperpro blue.
    Wilbers purple

Plus one for disliking the gold wheels.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Yup
    Ohlins Yellow,
    Hyperpro blue.
    Wilbers purple

Plus one for disliking the gold wheels.

Steve
    I’m talking forks, not shocks. The gold forks look as wrong as the gold wheels.

Master
    What you on about Willis....🤪🤪

A couple of friends turned up on their Scott's earlier this week.

The saying 'you could hear them coming a mile off' was actually true, and the wonderfully evocative smell lingered long after they left.

For context on the bike size here, Mark is 6' 7"...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    What you on about Willis....浪浪
    You've made the point for me.

Arnold (Gary Coleman) always used to say "what you talkin' 'bout Willis?".

"What you on about Willis" is close, but wrong.

It's the same with black Ohlins; close, but wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Those are just gorgeous and must be a real delight to own and ride, though I expect there might be quite a high maintenance overhead.

Isn’t there a modern equivalent, possibly made in Switzerland?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Isn’t there a modern equivalent, possibly made in Switzerland?
    There was SILK, from Derbyshire... I think the engine was based around the Scott😎

Those are (were?) 2 strokes, were they not?

I was thinking of really the same type of bikes as the 2 above, relatively small-engined, with a choice of colour schemes and equipment. Continental and were still going within the last 10 years.
    I think it was a relatively new venture at the time, too.

OK, it may weigh about the same as I do, cost more than I can afford, have a riding position that would cripple me and have Ohlins forks that are the WRONG COLOUR, but can I have one of these please?

https://langenmotorcycles.co.uk/

OK, it may weigh about the same as I do, cost more than I can afford, have a riding position that would cripple me and have Ohlins forks that are the WRONG COLOUR, but can I have one of these please?

https://langenmotorcycles.co.uk/
    Two stroke! And the same power to weight ratio from a 250cc engine as my 1200cc R9T!!! Love the black forks!!!

Two stroke! And the same power to weight ratio from a 250cc engine as my 1200cc R9T!!! Love the black forks!!!
    Ignoring that you are wrong about the forks, the power to weight of this one is

80bhp & 115kg = 695 bhp/tonne

yours is

110bhp & 220kg = 500 bhp/tonne

Of course, adding (in my case) a 100kg rider, the figures are 372 and 343, yes so actually it would be similar with a rider on

Of course the R9t does it for about 1/3 to 1/2 price, comfort, pillion accommodation and likely better fuel consumption, but hey...

Yes, you're right about the forks. However, the power to weight of this one is

80bhp & 115kg = 695 bhp/tonne

yours is

110bhp & 220kg = 500 bhp/tonne

Of course, adding (in my case) a 100kg rider, the figures are 372 and 343, yes so actually it would be similar with a rider on

Of course the R9t does it for about 1/3 to 1/2 price, comfort, pillion accommodation and likely better fuel consumption, but hey...
    Maths was never my strong point, but otherwise I thank you
    Last edited by learningtofly; 11th July 2020 at 10:39.

Actually, it's just struck me that there are likely a number of the more recent converts to motorcycling that have never enjoyed the delights of riding 2-strokes...

- huge power for engine size
    - all or nothing powerband
    - the smell
    - the noise
    - the fun

There is something magical about a tuned 2-stroke getting into the powerband and wailing through an expansion chamber. I've really gone off the idea of noisy bikes, but I'll make an exception for the occasional 2-stroke with Micron or Allspeed spannies

Those are just gorgeous and must be a real delight to own and ride, though I expect there might be quite a high maintenance overhead.
    Gorgeous they certainly are. They have 12 Scott's in the family and all the bikes do need a lot of tinkering with, plus adjustments on the road - the fuel/air mixture needs constant attention.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

The saying 'you could hear them coming a mile off' was actually true, and the wonderfully evocative smell lingered long after they left.

R
    I read that and immediately thought Suzuki kettle

The Scott's are lovely old things.
    Last edited by Stanford; 11th July 2020 at 13:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I read that and immediately thought Suzuki kettle

The Scott's are lovely old things.
    The GT750 was an object of desire for me back in the day. Now they're into five figures for a reasonable one.

R

The GT750 was an object of desire for me back in the day. Now they're into five figures for a reasonable one.

R
    Coincidentally, I saw one burbling up Uckfield Hugh Street this afternoon.

Master
    My mates lad out for a little ride..😎

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My mates lad out for a little ride..😎

Here’s a picture of me getting over as far as Foggy!

Those are (were?) 2 strokes, were they not?

I was thinking of really the same type of bikes as the 2 above, relatively small-engined, with a choice of colour schemes and equipment. Continental and were still going within the last 10 years.
    I think it was a relatively new venture at the time, too.
    Found it, but not sure they're still going:

They have a FB page

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Coincidentally, I saw one burbling up Uckfield Hugh Street this afternoon.
    And equally coincidentally I followed one from Streatley to Pangbourne on my way back today. It was being ridden along with a slightly more recent Honda, perhaps a CB900.

It sounded lovely (what little I could make out over my V&H pipes!), didn't half vibrate when idling though, surprised things weren't falling off!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    And equally coincidentally I followed one from Streatley to Pangbourne on my way back today. It was being ridden along with a slightly more recent Honda, perhaps a CB900.

It sounded lovely (what little I could make out over my V&H pipes!), didn't half vibrate when idling though, surprised things weren't falling off!
    How are you getting on with the Speed Twin, Simon... any regrets?

Master

Arrow

How are you getting on with the Speed Twin, Simon... any regrets?
    None whatsoever, I'm really loving it. I slightly regret not getting the nicer clutch/ACG covers so I'm probably going to do that but otherwise it's fantastic.

The handling is a joy and the way you can fire it out of the bends on the torque is lovely.

V&H sound great, very happy with that upgrade, and I much prefer the looks too.

Very pleased I went for red in the end, although in general I like red on vehicles. It's a colour I think looks better in the metal than in pictures.

All in all delighted with it.

None whatsoever, I'm really loving it. I slightly regret not getting the nicer clutch/ACG covers so I'm probably going to do that but otherwise it's fantastic.

The handling is a joy and the way you can fire it out of the bends on the torque is lovely.

V&H sound great, very happy with that upgrade, and I much prefer the looks too.

Very pleased I went for red in the end, although in general I like red on vehicles. It's a colour I think looks better in the metal than in pictures.

All in all delighted with it.
    Oh, good. There's no doubt that the various trinkets offer an enhancement (well, for the most part), although I do think that Triumph milk it a bit, rather than just putting the right components on the bikes in the first place). Still, if I end up going ahead with mine I'm sure I'll buy pretty much everything in the catalogue like I usually do

It would be great to go for a ride one day so I could see it in action next to the 9T!

Master
    Re extras, definitely agree, as I've said before my Striple was "fully loaded" with the flyscreen, belly pan and gel seat, that ws literally it!

Definitely up for a ride, only issue being it will have to be August as we are going to France (wish I could take the Speed twin!).

Re extras, definitely agree, as I've said before my Striple was "fully loaded" with the flyscreen, belly pan and gel seat, that ws literally it!

Definitely up for a ride, only issue being it will have to be August as we are going to France (wish I could take the Speed twin!).
    Excellent - let's talk when you're back (and enjoy your holiday)!

Master

Wales is Open Yipee...........

The road from Bryneglwys to Glynyfrdwy just below the Ponderosa at Llangollen , this road isn't on normal sat navs, but what a view of Snowdon 35 miles away

Master
    Actually, it's just struck me that there are likely a number of the more recent converts to motorcycling that have never enjoyed the delights of riding 2-strokes...

- the smell
    - the noise
    - the fun

There is something magical about a tuned 2-stroke getting into the powerband and wailing through an expansion chamber. I've really gone off the idea of noisy bikes, but I'll make an exception for the occasional 2-stroke with Micron or Allspeed spannies
    Cant add the Allspeeds but Ill leave these here

Yamaha sold , the other two still current , in fact following a rear brake calliper rebuild the Kr1 took me out today and showed me what a highly tuned 250 does!

The KH 250 smells brilliant makes lots of noise, fills the road with smoke from the three pipes, but ultimately 28bhp aint owt these days !

Last edited by higham5; 11th July 2020 at 19:36.

Master
    Found it, but not sure they're still going:

They have a FB page
    Cant find any references to Stirling since 2018, I hope they are still going. The engine was a Chinese version of Honda's CG125 an unburstable engine good for 50K miles with zero maintenance

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Here’s a picture of me getting over as far as Foggy!
    Andrew I have one of those

What a coincidence, same bike as my oldest!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    What a coincidence, same bike as my oldest!

Must have been the same "trackday" cough cough ....good to see he is wearing head protection.
    Last edited by higham5; 12th July 2020 at 08:01.

This morning I've fitted the black chain adjustment blocks and the black clutch cable guide.

In all honesty, I can't work out why.
    Brilliant ! I once started out on an "all black" approach to my Hypermotard. At one point, spurred on by the cylinder head paint flaking (known issue but Ducati refused the warranty claim on age despite the bike only having covered 500 miles) I almost paid for the barrels to be removed and powder coated - fortunately I came to your conclusion before having it done although I had removed and anodised/powder coated a ton of stuff by then.

Just don't ever start to think you need black barrels and you have had a lucky escape...

- the smell
    - the noise
    - the fun
    The constant engine re-builds, the cranks in rotation with one in the bike the other being fixed...the worry that one missed gear was the end of the motor...but at least I know what detonation sounds like.

Living down the road from Lindemere we had some very tuned and very fast bikes - and every time we brought him a melted piston he expressed the same look of surprise...

But yes there is nothing like an F2 tuned 2 stroke for getting things very right or very wrong and keeping it in the very narrow power band was an art. I remember my cousin who owned a Moto Guzzi coming back from a go on my LC astonished with the performance- after being encouraged and finally realising the power started at about the red line...

Anyone at Loomies this morning?

I went to Loomies today, but not by road..
    Anyone there this morning for breakfast, there were a few bikes there at about 8:30?

Was thinking of going to Ryka's this morning but there were too many cyclists around, so I had a little local bimble instead
    I think I met my match

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Just been out for a short test ride on a Scrambler 1200...

Very nice indeed. Great engine, excellent comfort, decent handling and a nice noise. Contemplating swapping my CB1100, although jumping back on the Honda to ride home, I realised it will not be an easy decision.

I rode a scrambler a couple times and loved it. Still want one, one day, it's a thing of beauty to my eye.

Saw some lovely bikes out today - including a CCM spitfire (I thing).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    I rode a scrambler a couple times and loved it. Still want one, one day, it's a thing of beauty to my eye.

Saw some lovely bikes out today - including a CCM spitfire (I thing).
    Got to admit, if I can make it make some sort of financial sense, I'm very tempted to do the swap. After all, life's too short to be too sensible.

Had fun on mine today