closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 335 of 359 FirstFirst ... 235285325333334335336337345 ... LastLast
Results 16,701 to 16,750 of 17913

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I find myself at a bit of a crossroads concerning my "second bike". Over the past few years I've pretty much always owned two, and I will continue to do so.

My main bike is, and will remain, my GS. It's a great, practical all-rounder that works for everything, so I'm looking for something sufficiently different to fill the second slot.

I'm going to sell my V85TT as it does not quite hit the spot. So, what to replace it with?

Direction 1 is to go for something a bit more sporty than the GS, although I'm not one for tear-arsing about scraping bits of myself on the ground, so probably more sports-tourer...

Direction 2 is to go for something a bit more classic-looking, so Bonneville territory...

Direction 3 is a more modern naked...

I'm a big bloke so I need something reasonably sized and I do like being able to overtake without too much drama (this can be a small issue on the V85TT), so plenty of power/torque.

I enjoy the characteristics of big twins, rather than higher revving engines and it has to be said I also like shaft drive, keyless, cruise and other modern conveniences.

So my shortlist is diverse - and it includes the R1250RS, R1250R and Triumph Speed Twin 1200 or Ducati Scrambler 1100 - about as diverse as you could get.

I've been offered a great deal on a barely used R1250RS and I reckon my local Triumph guy is quite keen to sell, so they are the most obvious short, shortlist.

Should I be looking at something else?
    I currently have an XJR1300 and a Triumph Sprint ST1050 (along with my GPz750s), either of which would probably fit the bill in one way or another.

I like the Speed Twin though but it’s too similar to my XJR to make it worthwhile me getting one. I know it’s a modern water cooled, injected twin as opposed to an ageing air cooled, four with a bank of carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I’d be dropping the two beemers and adding the Kawasaki Z900 RS and Triumph T120 to the list.
    Good call re the 900RS

Master
    I’d be dropping the two beemers and adding the Kawasaki Z900 RS and Triumph T120 to the list.
    I had a very brief fling with a Z900RS. Not my cuppa. The T120 is a potential though, although I probably prefer the Speed Twin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It would certainly be a shame if, having got yourself into two wheels, you choose to restrict yourself to only Honda; there are plenty of fantastic bikes from other manufacturers.

Indeed, each manufacturer makes bikes with a different feel to it and part of the fun is experiencing the differences between apparently similar bikes from different producers as well as different bikes from the same manufacturer.
    The gap between pootling around on my parents Cub 90 and pootling around on my CB125R had to be decades long for multiple reasons, I haven't time to be pretending that I want something that isn't a Honda.

Back when I was 19, I quite fancied a XV535, when I was 20 I would have jumped at the chance to own an RD350. Now, those kind of thoughts would seem like annoying distractions.

Bit like how I now couldn't be living anywhere but Yorkshire, after decades in London, Manchester etc etc. Bit like how the Omega and Nomos came and went, but the Seiko stayed.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 27th November 2023 at 20:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    Hi Chap, you didn't say what GS you have, but like most GS's they tour,carry a pillion, handle and hustle well so most bases covered. So maybe a Faux Classic would be a good way to go, the Triumph Speed twin or even the Thruxton, loads of grunt and one always looks back at them as they are such a good looking machine. So a "do it all" bike and a "Sunday" special. (for full disclosure I should say I had a 1150GS, replaced with an X Country,and a Bonneville and found they complimented each other well!) Good luck with looking, Cheers, John B4
    My GS is a modern one and for sure it does do it all, but as you say something "to look back at" alongside would be good. But damn it, I do like riding the R1250RS!!!

A mate said the same to me. I ignored him when the tangerine dream came up for sale . What about a v twin tuono?

I had a very brief fling with a Z900RS. Not my cuppa. The T120 is a potential though, although I probably prefer the Speed Twin.
    Actually, you could go for the final model Thruxton (or an RS) too. Absolutely wonderful bike.

Last edited by learningtofly; 27th November 2023 at 22:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    A mate said the same to me. I ignored him when the tangerine dream came up for sale . What about a v twin tuono?
    V-twin Tuono is what I’d call an ‘open roads bike’. Needs to stretch its legs all the time.

Master
    ^^^ Yes, although it’s a great suggestion, I think it’s too much sport for me.

As for the Thruxton, I think it is gorgeous but impractical (for me).

My GS is a modern one and for sure it does do it all, but as you say something "to look back at" alongside would be good. But damn it, I do like riding the R1250RS!!!
    If you like riding the R1250RS I would have thought you'll love riding the R1250R.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    If you like riding the R1250RS I would have thought you'll love riding the R1250R.
    R1250R is a stonking bike - but not sure I would pair it with the GS as there seems to be a lot of 'overlap' in purpose ............

Hard to get a "look back at" bike without getting another twin.

I'd be quite tempted by something like a Yamaha MT-09.

Master
    My mate just bought this one.. after trying the z900, and the new Guzzi. Personally I’d have bought the kwacker brand new for a fair bit less than this one year old X demo, but he likes it so that’s all that matters.

Anyone done the NC500?..

4 of us just booked our hotels for a planned trip mid May, looking forward to it.

Wondering if there’s any pointers or tips from someone on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Anyone done the NC500?..

4 of us just booked our hotels for a planned trip mid May, looking forward to it.

Mosquito repellant.

What overnight stops have you planned?

You taking in Glencoe en-route?

take bug repellant
    make sure your waterproofs really are waterproof
    pre download all maps for your routes (or make sure you have paper copies ) as coverage is all over the place

*not done it myself but those were the top 3 things friends have said who have done it multiple times - the main surprise was the amount of midges+mossys you are going to meet.

Last edited by pugster; 28th November 2023 at 14:34.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    What overnight stops have you planned?

You taking in Glencoe en-route?
    Yeah i do like Glencoe may go that route on the way up or back down, although it was raining last time i went through on the bike.
    Got three hotels booked for the route and going to aim fo raround 170 miles per day, i know people will say you should do it and take more time but our time is tight for this group, if its that good then may do it again next year.

Master
    I'm sure you are right. I've had a brief go on an R and plenty of miles on the RS. The obvious differences are the weather protection (RS) and slightly easier riding position (R).

Knowing myself quite well, I know I'd want to put a screen on the R and some bar risers on the RS!

So, where I'm at right now is circling an almost-new RS with "tubular bars" (basically the bars from the R) which just relieves the wrists and back for old men like me.

Craftsman
    Anyone done the NC500?..

Not much to add in 'tips or pointers' but I travelled around the NC500 and around Skye from mid April to mid May this year. Unfortunately I couldn't take my motorbike (but I would next time). We travelled in a motorhome and at that time of year we had no midges at all. I was surprised especially as we camped next to many lochs and other bodies of water.

Quite a few motor bikes, both in groups and in pairs. Not overly busy at all and I would say is a really good time to go. The roads were good and we had very good weather for the time of year with good sun during the day. It did get pretty cold late afternoon onwards.

The balance on a bike I reckon is to either 'bimble' along and enjoy the scenery or, if you are into 'making some progress' really focus on the roads as some of the smaller ones have sketchy surfaces and wandering sheep!

It was my first visit to Scotland and I was wowed by the west coast. Stunning scenery.

Yeah i do like Glencoe may go that route on the way up or back down, although it was raining last time i went through on the bike.
    Got three hotels booked for the route and going to aim fo raround 170 miles per day, i know people will say you should do it and take more time but our time is tight for this group, if its that good then may do it again next year.
    The actual stops would have helped, but hey ho.

Make sure you have plenty of tread on your tyres, don't absolutely rely on a country petrol station having fuel have a contingency. Take a tyre repair kit and a compressor between you, and one can of chain lub between you should do.

Breakdown cover handy but with the amount of traffic (a lot ill-prepared) - do your best to cater for as many eventualities as possible.

Re-confirm your accommodation a couple of times in the next 6m

Anyone done the NC500?..

Have you actually proven SkinSoSoft - to work? There are mixed reviews of it.

Master
    Anyone done the NC500?..

Do it anti clockwise , the east coast is drab ( sorry Scotlandshire residents) , the north coast has some lovely beaches to view even in May . Then the west coast , WOW , every corner reveals another view.

The pass of the cattle is good , dont be afraid to take some excursions on smaller roads , there are disused submarine bases dotted along the N.West coast

Agree with Blackal keep fuel topped off, some stations are card only eg un manned. When we went in May quite a few had run out of fuel.

Despite the comments of making progress, be carefull Scottish Polis like their hair dryer guns. We saw numerous hand held radar checks when going from national to town limits. Also on the East coast from memory the A92 had miles and miles of average speed camera’s plus officers with hand held devices.

In May expect to lots of “ owners clubs” eg we saw MG owners, Porsche Germany clubs. These guys like to stay together so you will find them acting as convoys. Fairly easy to pass if they see you , even the wobble boxes move over when they see a bike.

Lastly mossies, use the Smidgeup website. In the six days we were up there it was breezy so we didnt see one (apart from squished ones on hotel windows)

You will love it,and given your target miles per day your pace will be spot on.
    Last edited by higham5; 28th November 2023 at 20:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I’ve taken this to Cuba cycling a few times and not been bitten

Anyone done the NC500?..

The spray from this outfit works well (for me):

https://www.smidgeup.com/

Have you actually proven SkinSoSoft - to work? There are mixed reviews of it.
    Yes, used it several times in the north of Scotland with consistently good results. They may have changed the recipe which might account for the mixed reviews, but whenever I've used it it's been great

Last time I went up the camp shop in Glen Nevis had gallons of the stuff.

No idea how it works against other insects, but I found it invaluable against midges. On my last trip the only time I was bitten was the one night I decided not to bother as I'd not been bitten up until that point. Lesson learnt.

I recently read someone recommending the Dumfries and Galloway coast as a nice alternative to the NC500. Anyone with any opinions on riding it? Wondering how the roads compared, the midges compare, if its less popular. Obviously a lot more convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I recently read someone recommending the Dumfries and Galloway coast as a nice alternative to the NC500. Anyone with any opinions on riding it? Wondering how the roads compared, the midges compare, if its less popular. Obviously a lot more convenient.
    I'm a huge fan of D&G roads, and often do what I would describe as "the Solway Loop".

• Moffat - Elvanfoot taking the old road beside the M74
    • Elvanfoot to Thornhill down the Dalvene Pass
    • Thornhill to Moniave (the church at Penpont is quite impressive)
    • Moniave to St John's Town of Dalry
    • St John's town of Dalry to Clatteringshaws loch (good coffee stop)
    • Clatterinshaws Loch to Newton Stewart
    • Newton Stewart to Gatehouse of Fleet
    • Gatehouse to Kirkcudbright
    • Kirkcudbright along the coast to Kippford and Dalbeattie and Dumfries
    • Dumfries to Moffat (or to the M74)

there are a lot more decent roads within D&G including the Newton Stewart - Girvan road if you want to take in the Clyde Coast.

A lot less midges (to the extent they don't seem to be a problem) and yes - much quieter. Some nice coffee/lunch stops which tend to be a bit more 'realistic' in their prices.

I probably take in that route once a year - to incorporate into a 'night away' in the Lakes or Hawes and return home via the North Yorks moors. At other times - just do that Solway Loop for a day out.

Kirkcudbright is a lovely town.

Master
    Got my new tail lights for my Bobton project..

5 pence piece for scale😎

Craftsman
    I'm in a chain coffee shop in Northallerton, having failed to spot a place where I ought to be as I trundled through town. Have I mjsed somewhere?
    Sorry, I’m a bit late to the party, but despite an earlier post to the contrary, there most definitely is a worthwhile independent coffee stop in Northallerton! Southside Coffee on South Parade. 9 times out of 10 you can get the bike right outside. No affiliation, just a regular stop of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Got my new tail lights for my Bobton project..

5 pence piece for scale

My mate has some of those v small indicators on his HD - I’m mot keen - I like to be seen -

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    My mate has some of those v small indicators on his HD - I’m mot keen - I like to be seen -
    Me too… these will be supplementing the standard lights. They are pretty bright, but I wouldn’t want to rely on them as the only source of being seen.

It snowed overnight, just getting the bike in place to get loaded into the van felt perilous enough for me

I'm a huge fan of D&G roads, and often do what I would describe as "the Solway Loop".....
    Thank you very much for this, I'll be plotting it on Google Maps

Three loops from Newton Stewart, all around 120 miles:

So:
    1. long day driving up to Scotland via Hexham
    2. Northwest loop
    3. Southwest loop
    4. East loop
    5. Long day driving back to Yorkshire via Dales

That's....

....that's May 2025 sorted out, excellent
    Last edited by Der Amf; 30th November 2023 at 14:15.

I assume you are meaning May 2024 (and not '25)

I assume you are meaning May 2024 (and not '25)
    I'm only a beginner! But I like to have solid and reasonable aspirations lying ahead to aim for. So, a hope for 18 months time in place, to help me keep focused.

Here’s a little treat for anyone familiar with the Original Tea Hut in Epping. The footage is unsurprisingly a bit sketchy but still an enjoyable look back in time.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nU7IoZZfHdc

Here’s a little treat for anyone familiar with the Original Tea Hut in Epping. The footage is unsurprisingly a bit sketchy but still an enjoyable look back in time.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nU7IoZZfHdc
    We started going there in the late 70s, even before they put the sleeping policemen in, still go to the new one, its only a few minutes away from me

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    We started going there in the late 70s, even before they put the sleeping policemen in, still go to the new one, its only a few minutes away from me
    I was there the other day. Forgot they only take cash, though

Chilly ride across the country this morning, and back in time for lunch. Ice on both sides of the visor, but that was the worst of it, layering kept me warm and dry, handlebar muffs keeps the wind blast off my gloves, so hands also stayed nimble. Just over 200 miles round trip for breakfast. I was going to go on the R80GS, but the battery was killed by the cold (-5 when I set off) so I had to go on the X Country, which just fired up without quibble. It was still -3 when I got home, so I haven't washed the bike and turned the place into an ice rink. The protective film will be doing its job.

I was there the other day. Forgot they only take cash, though
    Should have messaged me, I would have bailed you out

Should have messaged me, I would have bailed you out
    I’ll know for next time

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Do it anti clockwise , the east coast is drab ( sorry Scotlandshire residents) , the north coast has some lovely beaches to view even in May . Then the west coast , WOW , every corner reveals another view.

The pass of the cattle is good , dont be afraid to take some excursions on smaller roads , there are disused submarine bases dotted along the N.West coast

Agree with Blackal keep fuel topped off, some stations are card only eg un manned. When we went in May quite a few had run out of fuel.

Despite the comments of making progress, be carefull Scottish Polis like their hair dryer guns. We saw numerous hand held radar checks when going from national to town limits. Also on the East coast from memory the A92 had miles and miles of average speed camera’s plus officers with hand held devices.

In May expect to lots of “ owners clubs” eg we saw MG owners, Porsche Germany clubs. These guys like to stay together so you will find them acting as convoys. Fairly easy to pass if they see you , even the wobble boxes move over when they see a bike.

Lastly mossies, use the Smidgeup website. In the six days we were up there it was breezy so we didnt see one (apart from squished ones on hotel windows)

You will love it,and given your target miles per day your pace will be spot on.
    We did it in Sept 2021.
    And did it anti-clockwise. Got the bikes shipped up to Edinburgh then we flew up to start fresh.
    No midges in Sept - thank goodness.
    You can see some highlights from the trip video below.
    John O Groats was a wet day and not much fun - there's nothing there. I'd skip it if I was doing it again.
    Going in Sept also meant far fewer camper vans. A lot of people hire camper vans they've never driven before and cause mayhem on the roads by getting stuck.

Applecross obviously a big highlight. You can see it in the video at about 1m50s.

Heres our route: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...uf&usp=sharing

Master
    Blog Entries
    The CB500F which they've just renamed the CB500 Hornet has been my central, obvious choice pretty much from the start of my daydreaming.

I'm now also taking a serious look the NC750X. I do seem to be more interested in the idea of getting serious mileage done than I am in the qualities that the cb500 has over the nc750.

I do prefer a naked bike though. If they hadn't ditched the nc750s when they made the latest improvements (in 2021, I think) that would be an easy choice, I suspect. In Hull they've a latest model NC750X which I was keen to spend a few minutes sitting astride on Thursday.

When I first visited them 3 months ago I also had a sit on a CB500X, but didn't like the much higher centre of gravity at all. And now they've turned it into the NX500, I like it even less.

I am reconciled to the fact that whatever I move on to will require a severe recalibration of what I want from a bike as a physical object. I find my 125 very comfy, very natural, all the angles seem to fit me perfectly. Its seat is surprisingly high, relative to the other naked CBs.

NC750 would be more stately, the CB500 slightly more sporty - 30mm lower, and handlebars a couple of inches further away.

Anyway, very early days, obviously.

With my medical problems I keep looking at the NC750 variants with DCT as the most sensible choice,I have had countless test rides.

Its the equivalent of a wet handbag,everytime I ridde one it reminds me of the old AEC trucks we had in the army.

That is put your foot down and nothing happens,nothing and no excitment,its half a Jazz engine with the joy sucked out.

You dont want an R1 but a bike should be fun if not for commuting.

Master
    Ohh look what turned up today😎

I bet that was cheap

Master
    I bet that was cheap
    U.K. seller £675
    Italian seller £420

Guess where I bought from?

I’ve currently got a Fox shock fitted, which my mate wants for £220, so £200 for a brand new ohlins = bargain👍👍

Master
    U.K. seller £675
    Italian seller £420

I’ve currently got a Fox shock fitted, which my mate wants for £220, so £200 for a brand new ohlins = bargain
    Quality man-maths there.

U.K. seller £675
    Italian seller £420

Bargain.

I've seen the Italian sellers on eBay and assumed that there would be VAT and customs and VAT on the customs and shipping, and estimated that the saving would be minimal. So I bought my Ohlins locally.

Did I mislead myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Bargain.

I've seen the Italian sellers on eBay and assumed that there would be VAT and customs and VAT on the customs and shipping, and estimated that the saving would be minimal. So I bought my Ohlins locally.

Did I mislead myself?
    Same here, I bet I was wrong!