TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 330 of 359 FirstFirst ... 230280320328329330331332340 ... LastLast
Results 16,451 to 16,500 of 17919

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    I’ve a Knox Urbane great on the warmer days
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I have a Cyclone (and a few others). It's a great jacket but I'd agree, it'll be no good in the summer. That's when you'll be needing a Klim Marrakesh...
    Just googled that ... yeah, my enthusiasm for tossing money about isn't going to be infinite, whereas hot spells up here are very definitely finite. The wotsit will do me fine

Back on a Tiger...

Triumph Tiger 800/900 great bikes.

I think they missed a trick in not making one with pure road-orientated wheels though. (17 inch with 180 rear)

Whilst browsing the Honda website over the last couple of months, I had trouble keeping both tank capacity and claimed fuel economy in my head at the same time, let alone working out their supposed ranges.

So here are the theoretical ranges of a few Hondas in miles, with a couple of others thrown in too. Probably only useful as a way of comparing models?

456 — CB125F
    314 — CB500X
    304 — CB500F

286 — CB125R
    250 — NC750X

220 — SV650
    217 — CB750
    214 — Forza 350
    210 — MT-07

191 — CB650R
    188 — CB300R
    170 — CB1000R

Those last three CBxxxR models have relatively indifferent ranges. I guess that tells us what they expect people to do with these bikes, what they'll want from them.

Those two 500s both have tanks over 17L, btw

I have a 2019 CB1000R.
    3.56gallon tank.
    My average consumption riding hard is 50.9 mpg (over about 3 years)
    Theoretical range therefore 181 miles.
    But obviously you wouldn't run it dry, so real world range is about 150 miles?

Another Mololegends PSA

Rokker Rokkertech tapered single-layer jeans in grey are 42% off for today only... makes them £199.97 delivered. Code is ROK42.

These are high-end biking jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Rokker Rokkertech tapered single-layer jeans in grey are 42% off for today only... makes them £199.97 delivered. Code is ROK42.

If I didn’t already have Rokkers I’d get a pair. They are really good.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Following my recent fopar my Rokker jeans were cut off by medical staff… so ordered a pair of these. Not sure if folk know but if you register with Motolegends you get another 5% even on the Sunday specials…

Look at the waist size ladies🤪🤪😆

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Following my recent fopar my Rokker jeans were cut off by medical staff… so ordered a pair of these. Not sure if folk know but if you register with Motolegends you get another 5% even on the Sunday specials…

Look at the waist size ladies浪浪
    I’ve had an account for years, and am also registered for newsletters, etc. How should I have been getting my additional 5%, Andy?

Master
    I’ve had an account for years, and am also registered for newsletters, etc. How should I have been getting my additional 5%, Andy?
    Just log in before you put the item in your basket. Then put in the normal Sunday code and the extra 5% is automatically applied at checkout. By doing it this way I’ve had the extra 5% on everything I’ve ordered up to now.👍

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Just log in before you put the item in your basket. Then put in the normal Sunday code and the extra 5% is automatically applied at checkout. By doing it this way I’ve had the extra 5% on everything I’ve ordered up to now.
    Ah, okay. I usually forget to log in first, and end up doing so later in tne process… perhaps that’s the problem.

Master

Not for me on this occasion, but I wanted to say I'm grateful that you are putting these deals on here as, for some reason, I've stopped receiving the Sunday morning sales offers. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Not for me on this occasion, but I wanted to say I'm grateful that you are putting these deals on here as, for some reason, I've stopped receiving the Sunday morning sales offers. Cheers.
    Perhaps reregister? Anyway, some of the Sunday offers are genuinely superb so worth making them available to the TZ biking massive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Whilst browsing the Honda website over the last couple of months, I had trouble keeping both tank capacity and claimed fuel economy in my head at the same time, let alone working out their supposed ranges.

So here are the theoretical ranges of a few Hondas in miles, with a couple of others thrown in too. Probably only useful as a way of comparing models?

456 — CB125F
    314 — CB500X
    304 — CB500F

286 — CB125R
    250 — NC750X

220 — SV650
    217 — CB750
    214 — Forza 350
    210 — MT-07

191 — CB650R
    188 — CB300R
    170 — CB1000R

Those last three CBxxxR models have relatively indifferent ranges. I guess that tells us what they expect people to do with these bikes, what they'll want from them.

Those two 500s both have tanks over 17L, btw
    I find its my “ar$e” that dictates my biking range not the bike range. Usually about 150 miles or 2 1/2 hrs The only bike I genuinely felt uncertain on was the 125 Monkey as its range was a daft 100/110 miles. Even when on empty on the display it would only take £4.50 ish . I ended up carrying a Sigg fuel bottle , which is not ideal in the event of a fall.

Lastly the only time we needed my BM’s 230/250 mile range was on the NC500. The issue wasnt the the small unmanned stations, it was the fact the big stations had run out of fuel, so the little ones were inundated.

Well, well.

After doing a few days of 'bike mooching' on the inter webs I stumbled across an old bike of mine - most fun I ever had on 2 wheels!

https://www.fastline.co.uk/used-hond...ashire-5299273
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Well, well.

After doing a few days of 'bike mooching' on the inter webs I stumbled across an old bike of mine - most fun I ever had on 2 wheels!

https://www.fastline.co.uk/used-hond...ashire-5299273
    Lovely bikes, though I can recall when Honda were having to discount the officially imported ones to shift them.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I find its my “ar$e” that dictates my biking range not the bike range. Usually about 150 miles or 2 1/2 hrs The only bike I genuinely felt uncertain on was the 125 Monkey as its range was a daft 100/110 miles. Even when on empty on the display it would only take £4.50 ish . I ended up carrying a Sigg fuel bottle , which is not ideal in the event of a fall.

Lastly the only time we needed my BM’s 230/250 mile range was on the NC500. The issue wasnt the the small unmanned stations, it was the fact the big stations had run out of fuel, so the little ones were inundated.
    I probably suffer from 'fuel anxiety', in part due to my professional thinking of 'How do you ensure?'

My current touring bike is an S1000XR and.......

a) like the 210 mile 'average' range
    b) can trust the fuel computer and run down to 'zero'

When on holidays in southern France/Pyrenees, that range generally allows a day out without having to think about topping up along the way.

I thought about a Yamaha MT-10 as a 'do it all' bike but 120 mile range made it a liability !

was going to say , you dont know what fuel anxiety is - i own an mt 10 :)

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    was going to say , you dont know what fuel anxiety is - i own an mt 10 :)

Yeah - and the BMW S1000R is same or better performance without that wild consumption....................

A high price for that exhaust note !

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Yeah - and the BMW S1000R is same or better performance without that wild consumption....................

A high price for that exhaust note !
    i test rode an s1000r, sdr and gsx1000s before getting the yam , yes the bmw had the same performance but i felt it was bland as hell , the crossplane in the yam is something else .... tbh if it had a bigger tank i would not moan about MPG.

*wil also add that after 100miles my arse is ready for a rest anyway these days :)
    Last edited by pugster; 22nd October 2023 at 20:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Lovely bikes, though I can recall when Honda were having to discount the officially imported ones to shift them.
    Yep, when I owned it I had Maxton do the suspension - the twin exhausts I imported from Japan.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    i test rode an s1000r, sdr and gsx1000s before getting the yam , yes the bmw had the same performance but i felt it was bland as hell , the crossplane in the yam is something else .... tbh if it had a bigger tank i would not moan about MPG.

*wil also add that after 100miles my arse is ready for a rest anyway these days :)
    I think if I rode a MT10 at anything over half throttle for any time I would have to stop after 80/90 miles for a cigarette.

And I don’t even smoke ;)

tbh i dont think theres a bad supernaked out there , it all down to personal preference - ive said before on here if i was doing track days i'd have gone BMW or tuono.
    next bike will either be the 1000xr , gsx1000gt or maybe an H2.
    i wont be going back to pure sports ever again

Tried a KTM1290 SprDuke, Tuono 1100 Factory, S1000R & an MT10SP
    All very special bikes.
    Unfortunately I wasn't 100% happy on any, felt as though I was being taken for a ride by the bike, rather than the other way around.
    All felt absolutely uncontrollable with the TC off....but that's just me obviously.
    Ended up getting a CB1000R, about 30hp ish less I think?
    Almost a 'Goldilocks moment..just right.
    Easy to ride, and more than quick enough for what I can manage these days.

I find its my “ar$e” that dictates my biking range not the bike range.
    Apart from seat comfortability I've learnt to take bike stops after 2 hours riding as I'd noticed my concentration stating to lapse after that length of time. Just a few minutes 'down-time': stretch legs/pee/drink/vape etc. then back on works for me.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I got back yesterday from the Picos; my second trip out there and the roads are still great, as is the scenery (my photos never do it justice )
    Being stuck inside means I'm planning the tour for my group for next year.

We're looking at the Picos as well.

Here's our plan. Any highlights I'm missing people would recommend?
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...IE&usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post

If any of your guys needs a bike for the trip, I’ve got this one for sale.

Obviously, the price would be less for a TZer or friend of.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225797915...mis&media=COPY

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    If any of your guys needs a bike for the trip, I’ve got this one for sale.
    Obviously, the price would be less for a TZer or friend of.
    Not right now ... but that would be perfect for another trip coming up in 2025 ... it's "2k to Le Touquet"

Which is pretty much as it sounds - you've got to buy any bike for £2k to get you to Le Touquet and back...
    I don't even have space in my garage to keep it if I wanted one now.

Master
    Blog Entries

Whatever you do I would go to Covilha for at least 2 or 3 days and ride in the Estrella national park.

I have been to a lot of places but this is something special.

I have a brilliant hotel there with secure parking,great rooms and delicious breakfast.

You can go swimming at their sister hotel for free.

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/NR/...4-65A978244D59

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Whatever you do I would go to Covilha for at least 2 or 3 days and ride in the Estrella national park.

I have been to a lot of places but this is something special.

I have a brilliant hotel there with secure parking,great rooms and delicious breakfast.

You can go swimming at their sister hotel for free.

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/NR/...4-65A978244D59
    Thanks - I'll sound out the idea with the group. Cheers for sharing.

You've got what looks like a great route planned.
    It's difficult to give recommendations as routes are so dependent on what the individual's road preferences are...and there are so many great roads.
    I can't give any suggestions for other than the Picos are but I think your route takes you to Riano, which is a good place to refuel (petrol and food) and to take in some views; and there are some great roads around there, not least the N-625 and N-621, the latter of which can take you to Potes which is a very picturesque town.
    Oviedo is a larger town (City) which has great hotels, restaurants and bars (and is well placed for superb roads).

There is at least one website you might find helpful for suggestions/reviews on biking roads (I think it's something like Best Biking Roads) which could be useful.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    You've got what looks like a great route planned.
    There is at least one website you might find helpful for suggestions/reviews on biking roads (I think it's something like Best Biking Roads) which could be useful.
    Thanks.
    We've taken inspiration from Simon Weir's book "Bikers' Europe" and from some routes from Ride Guide to Spain.
    I happened to be watching RichVida's recent tour of the Picos which mentioned a great stopping point at Mirador de Santa Catalina for example. Check the link to see a truly impressive view.
    And yes we are going through Riano on the last day back to Santander so time might be limited - but good to know that's a good stopping place.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks - I'll sound out the idea with the group. Cheers for sharing.

Just paid for my 125, got a number plate assigned and turned my insurance quote into reality, going live from noon on Monday.

I've been studying the 40 mile route home on Google Maps / Street View so intently I'll probably be surprised when I see different cars on the roundabouts. I'll stop for petrol at a large service station 2 miles up the road from the dealership, so I can pootle round in circles in a far corner of the car park, getting used to it. I'll have a little break a dozen miles after that.

I'm wondering how much of a difference I'll perceive between the CG125 my CBT was done on and this CB125R. Have a photo ½"-ed from a Japanese online review.

Master
    That looks like a pretty cool learner bike, much cooler than the yam sr125 I learned on.

Just paid for my 125, got a number plate assigned and turned my insurance quote into reality, going live from noon on Monday.

I've been studying the 40 mile route home on Google Maps / Street View so intently I'll probably be surprised when I see different cars on the roundabouts. I'll stop for petrol at a large service station 2 miles up the road from the dealership, so I can pootle round in circles in a far corner of the car park, getting used to it. I'll have a little break a dozen miles after that.

I'm wondering how much of a difference I'll perceive between the CG125 my CBT was done on and this CB125R. Have a photo ½"-ed from a Japanese online review.

If any bike is crying out for a tail tidy that is it! Apart from that it's a good looking machine, congrats and good luck with the riding and subsequent training.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    That looks like a pretty cool learner bike, much cooler than the yam sr125 I learned on.
    I'm wondering how cool it'll look once it's got the L plates on

I wanted to get something that I wouldn't be in a hurry to move on from - I'm going to give it a chance to really be My Bike for a proper while, not just a phase that I have to go through to get where I want to be. So, a brave little red-tanked robin of a bike that I can be proud of. L plates and all.

To put it in context, here's it with a rider an inch or two shorter than me:

Last edited by Der Amf; 26th October 2023 at 13:28.

More bike related stuff

I'm wondering how cool it'll look once it's got the L plates on

I wanted to get something that I wouldn't be in a hurry to move on from - I'm going to give it a chance to really be My Bike for a proper while, not just a phase that I have to go through to get where I want to be. So, a brave little red-tanked robin of a bike that I can be proud of. L plates and all.
    Lovely little bike though it is, and I’m sure you’ll have fun on it, once you’ve passed your test and can move on to something larger, you’ll be trading that in at the first opportunity.

In the meantime, have fun and stay safe!

Craftsman
    Cracking little bike, really looks the business. Are you in an urban environment? These smaller capacity bikes are much more user friendly in such conditions and great fun too, they really only loose out on dual carriageways and Motorways so enjoy, take your time to become acquainted with it and stay safe. Happy riding. Cheers, John B4
    Last edited by JohnB4; 26th October 2023 at 17:53. Reason: spelling!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    Cracking little bike, really looks the business. Are you in an urban environment? These smaller capacity bikes are much more user friendly in such conditions and great fun too, they really only loose out on dual carriageways and Motorways so enjoy, take your time to become acquainted with it and stay safe. Happy riding. Cheers, John B4
    Thank you John :) I do live in a city, but on my doorstep is a huge maze of decent quality B roads connecting charming villages and going over good looking landscape, that I'm itching to explore. Hopefully this 125R will feel comfortable on those. Further afield are The Dales — I think getting to and from them, when the time comes, is when I might find myself really wishing for a bit more welly. The Honda dealer is already primed for my exchanging it for a 500F, one day

Well, it's 13bhp rather than 11bhp so it'll feel like a rocket ship!

The lad's YBR (a mere 9bhp) went to its new owner yesterday. A really lovely lad bought it and rode it away in the dark - first time he'd been on a bike since passing his CBT 5 years ago.

Scary thing is that the insurance for him (23, rural Gloucestershire, no NCD, on-street parking) was close to £1,100 a year; nearly as much as the bike.

He has texted a few times to say how much he's enjoying it though which is kind of nice :-)

The lad's YBR (a mere 9bhp) went to its new owner yesterday. A really lovely lad bought it and rode it away in the dark - first time he'd been on a bike since passing his CBT 5 years ago.

Scary thing is that the insurance for him (23, rural Gloucestershire, no NCD, on-street parking) was close to £1,100 a year; nearly as much as the bike.

He has texted a few times to say how much he's enjoying it though which is kind of nice :-)
    I’m way out of the loop when it comes to learners but the CBT used to be only valid for two years, has that changed?

I’d suggest you get onto the 500 as soon as you feel comfortable DerAmf, you will have a lot more fun and it’s a perfect size for B roads and even some A roads. The only thing it isn’t is a motorway mile muncher. Non of us really need bigger!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’m way out of the loop when it comes to learners but the CBT used to be only valid for two years, has that changed?
    Good point! I've messaged him a reminder.

Turns out it was a misunderstanding - it was 5 days not 5 years

Very nice of him, but he's riding illegally as his CBT is well out of date.

Very nice of him, but he's riding illegally as his CBT is well out of date.
    Resolved - 5 days not 5 years. Phew!

Master
    Thank you John :) I do live in a city, but on my doorstep is a huge maze of decent quality B roads connecting charming villages and going over good looking landscape, that I'm itching to explore. Hopefully this 125R will feel comfortable on those. Further afield are The Dales — I think getting to and from them, when the time comes, is when I might find myself really wishing for a bit more welly. The Honda dealer is already primed for my exchanging it for a 500F, one day
    A bit of time on a 125 cc will do you no harm. Definitely pick up a copy of “Roadcraft a Police Riders Handbook”. This teaches you road position and the skills of anticipation from a bike perspective. Best three quid you will spend on yourself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141731192...3ABFBM9Imc1O1i

The downside of passing your CBT now is the weather over winter. However well wrapped up on some dry morning’s can provide you with some stunning rides. Just watch braking distances and road conditions eg mud/ grit/ gravel as you enjoy your journey into motorcycling.

Given brand new bike, a brand new CBT and almost-city-centre parking that is classified as on-street, I was braced for something like that, but I got fully comprehensive for just under £700. The third party blah di blah option was actually more expensive.

The downside of passing your CBT now is the weather over winter.
    Round here the weather really turns a corner in mid-January - it is Nov and Dec that are the worst for rain. So I'll have a very cautious couple of months gently building up confidence and stamina, avoiding the worst of the sogginess. I can live with that :)

Once I decided not to go straight onto a slow-paced DA course, I thought important to get onto a bike of my own promptly, before the CBT became as a faint memory as my teenage years on my parents Cub 90

Round here the weather really turns a corner in mid-January - it is Nov and Dec that are the worst for rain. So I'll have a very cautious couple of months gently building up confidence and stamina, avoiding the worst of the sogginess. I can live with that :)

Once I decided not to go straight onto a slow-paced DA course, I thought important to get onto a bike of my own promptly, before the CBT became as a faint memory as my teenage years on my parents Cub 90
    My birthday is in November and as a sixteen year old growing up in Yorkshire, I soon learnt how difficult it was to keep a bike (well moped) upright on an icy surface.