closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 299 of 359 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309349 ... LastLast
Results 14,901 to 14,950 of 17919

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Triumph boys were out today. Got to ride with an old mate that’s just bought a new bobber. First time we’ve ridden together in 25 years. Was a real pleasure and we had a great laugh reminiscing about how daft we were back then..🤪🤪

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I had a fantastic weekend of riding around South West.

Some highlights:

B4070 from Stroud to Cheltenham (although a farmer did pull out in front of me, which prompted an emergency stop before realising the opposite lane was clear)

B4022 from Charlbury to Chipping Norton

My first proper ride on a 2013 1200GS. Some thoughts for those that are considering a GS.

Fully loaded up with a weekend's worth of luggage, it handles very well. You can plant it right into a corner, but once you are committed there is minimal scope for mid corner adjustability (not particularly surprising given the weight of the thing plus me and luggage).

Power is ample everywhere for road riding. It power wheelies in second which takes you by surprise for such a comfortable machine.

I was following a buddy on his 1250GS from Burford and it had slightly more 'go', above 60mph, but don't discount the early watercooled bikes for less than half the price...it really makes me question whether I will use my S1000RR much this summer.

If the rumours are true and there is a 1300GS coming, I can't help but wonder why. I really cannot see why people would want more power for UK roads than a 1200, let alone the current 1250.
    I think the engine enlargement is to keep it current with other makes, not because it really needs it, but I think they feel they have to do something with the engine to add to Suspension, brakes and fancier electronics in the guise of ACC (active cruise control), Blindspot monitoring etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Indeed - but interesting that I absolutely knew that this one was going to do it.
    You have developed the bikers `sixth sense`.
    Sometimes i think i know what other road users are likely to do even before they do...

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    the roads are a nightmare atm(
    The road surfaces certainly are, in addition to the potholes the roads are still strewn with winter detritus that hasn`t yet been cleared or washed away and loose gravel on every bend....

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post

Will reply properly including the PM about the tent once I know how she is doing.
    I don't imagine Rishi knows much about tents.

I don't imagine Rishi knows much about tents.
    This reads like you are having a laugh at my expense. My cat is seriously ill and perhaps that has clouded my judgement, however I cannot see what this post has to do with either motorbike protection or the welfare of my pet?

Master
    I had someone pull out on me yesterday. I'm on a long straight road (50 limit) doing 50ish with a road joining from the left. I saw a car pull up to the junction and the driver just looked left (so away from me). I thought 'they're going to pull out' so had started slowing anyway when they pulled out and I slammed the brakes on. I stopped about a foot from the driver's door. She'd stopped too and just mouthed "sorry" at me as she drove off again.
    I find the horn and a flash of the high beam/w4nker lights is quite useful when you can see danger approaching with drivers who appear oblivious to your oncoming. If they still don't see you, and you have the right of way, I prefer the evasive overtake (if possible) over the emergency braking manoeuvre as there is the risk of someone rear-ending you when they may not expect you to come to a standing stop on a straight road with right of way. Importantly, you managed to stop in time. I have an aversion to being caught 'in-between' vehicles fore/aft and will always position myself with an escape route if necessary, and your scenario is exactly what I try to avoid at all costs due to the stupidity of drivers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I had a fantastic weekend of riding around South West.

Some highlights:

B4070 from Stroud to Cheltenham (although a farmer did pull out in front of me, which prompted an emergency stop before realising the opposite lane was clear)

B4022 from Charlbury to Chipping Norton

My first proper ride on a 2013 1200GS. Some thoughts for those that are considering a GS.

Fully loaded up with a weekend's worth of luggage, it handles very well. You can plant it right into a corner, but once you are committed there is minimal scope for mid corner adjustability (not particularly surprising given the weight of the thing plus me and luggage).

Power is ample everywhere for road riding. It power wheelies in second which takes you by surprise for such a comfortable machine.

I was following a buddy on his 1250GS from Burford and it had slightly more 'go', above 60mph, but don't discount the early watercooled bikes for less than half the price...it really makes me question whether I will use my S1000RR much this summer.

If the rumours are true and there is a 1300GS coming, I can't help but wonder why. I really cannot see why people would want more power for UK roads than a 1200, let alone the current 1250.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    The 1200GS LC is a lovely bike. But having had 2 of them before and now a 1250GS, the 1250 is a sizable step forward. Not just in terms of outright power (it has loads more midrange and pulls harder through the gears) but also in terms of the chassis dynamics that keep it more composed with self-levelling D-ESA2. Where the 1200 pitches fore/aft under hard acceleration and braking and varies compression with rider weight/luggage unless you manually select presets, the 1250 constantly maintains better geometry and therefore has better stability AND agility - regardless of rider weight or luggage. You just load up, jump on, and go. The 1300GS moves to a completely liquid cooled engine unlike the hybrid 1200/1250, and it is supposedly physically smaller in size too. It has been a long time in development and will no doubt stretch itself even further ahead of the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    This reads like you are having a laugh at my expense. My cat is seriously ill and perhaps that has clouded my judgement, however I cannot see what this post has to do with either motorbike protection or the welfare of my pet?
    I'm not and I wouldn't have a laugh at your expense (or you cat's). It was a feeble attempt at a PM joke and I apologise if it offended.

I had someone pull out on me yesterday. I'm on a long straight road (50 limit) doing 50ish with a road joining from the left. I saw a car pull up to the junction and the driver just looked left (so away from me). I thought 'they're going to pull out' so had started slowing anyway when they pulled out and I slammed the brakes on. I stopped about a foot from the driver's door. She'd stopped too and just mouthed "sorry" at me as she drove off again.
    The same thing cost me a week in hospital and another ten off work back in 1985.
    Nothing has changed in the last forty years!

I'm not and I wouldn't have a laugh at your expense (or you cat's). It was a feeble attempt at a PM joke and I apologise if it offended.
    Ok, no worries. I was being sensitive and perhaps the pitch was a little off too. No offence taken and thanks for clarifying.

Seeing you all on your rideouts is making me exceedingly jealous. I had planned an Easter trip into Italy this weekend, but an MRI has put those plans to the sword. Imminent op and pins in the vertebrae will mean no riding for some time, certainly into mid summer, but I hope no longer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Seeing you all on your rideouts is making me exceedingly jealous. I had planned an Easter trip into Italy this weekend, but an MRI has put those plans to the sword. Imminent op and pins in the vertebrae will mean no riding for some time, certainly into mid summer, but I hope no longer.
    That’s not good☹️ But hopefully a successful outcome will mean many more happier and easier miles once recovered👍

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Sorry to hear that, and I hope all goes well. Whatever you do, don't rush your recovery, though.

My own first trip is looking at risk now, given that instead of getting better I seem to be having a bit of a flare-up again. I've already shortened the original Whitby trip for a second time to reduce the risk and make it more manageable, but I may be in a similar boat soon.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    You have developed the bikers `sixth sense`.
    Sometimes i think i know what other road users are likely to do even before they do...
    Being a life-long cyclist helps I'm sure.

Thanks guys. Third time lucky I’m hoping. It’ll give me time to read up and decide what to get next. The endless stream of bikers through the village on their way to the Alpine twistiest is like torture!

I've been coming to the end of recommissioning the Rapide, and have been struggling with getting the carburation right with the old pre-monoblock Amals. The slides were sticking, which was a result of a previous owner hammering the centre blocks out which makes the bodies spread and puts them out of whack. Despite dressing with fine (watchmaking) files and polishing the tubes, blocks and slides so they slid up and down perfectly once again, they are so worn I couldn't get the mixture rich enough so I bit the bullet and bought a brand new pair.

After fitting them the bike fired up and ran beautifully with minimal adjustment required to the mixture and slow running. I went out for my first ride on her yesterday, a relatively short one at 33 miles which has highlighted a few more jobs, but I'm really pleased with the way she rides and the Smiths 5" Chronometric 150mph speedo is a delight. These don't move the needle in the conventional way, the needle moves in increments of two mph so it clicks up and down the scale against the graduations of the speedometer, very mesmerizing!

1st gear selection is a noisy frustrating affair that won't always select first attempt, but there are an infinite number of adjustments possible on the linkage that require careful adjustment to get the (straight cut) box changing as it should, so that job is next. I also forgot that old british bikes like to mark their territory and in particular Vincent twins. They build a up huge amount of crankcase pressure so there is a timed breather that relieves said pressure, but it does drip when it's parked - motorcycles weren't so environmentally friendly 73 years ago! However there are a whole host of later breather developments that can be utilised to overcome this and this will be done after the gearbox, for now I'll carry on putting the baking tray underneath it when I park up in the garage.

I'd also like to fit a Grosset electric start, this is an aftermarket add on developed by a French engineer that is virtually completely hidden, is bulletproof and can be completely reversed back to standard if required. As my bike is still 6v it would require a 12v high capacity Alton alternator upgrade, the bike converting to 12v, a high capacity 12v battery fitting, as well as the Grosset kit which bumps up the cost quite a lot but I do fancy one so I may have to sell a couple of watches to fund it!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I've been coming to the end of recommissioning the Rapide, and have been struggling with getting the carburation right with the old pre-monoblock Amals. The slides were sticking, which was a result of a previous owner hammering the centre blocks out which makes the bodies spread and puts them out of whack. Despite dressing with fine (watchmaking) files and polishing the tubes, blocks and slides so they slid up and down perfectly once again, they are so worn I couldn't get the mixture rich enough so I bit the bullet and bought a brand new pair.

I shouldn't get aroused looking at carburettors, but...

I'd also like to fit a Grosset electric start, this is an aftermarket add on developed by a French engineer that is virtually completely hidden, is bulletproof and can be completely reversed back to standard if required. As my bike is still 6v it would require a 12v high capacity Alton alternator upgrade, the bike converting to 12v, a high capacity 12v battery fitting, as well as the Grosset kit which bumps up the cost quite a lot but I do fancy one so I may have to sell a couple of watches to fund it!
    Are you talking of Patrick Godet?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Im sure the Police bikes used to use Chronometric speedos that would index up one mph at a time. My BSA was plus or minus 10 mph when I got it( swinging). After judiciously oiling I got the waver down to 5 mph ….ish

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Are you talking of Patrick Godet?
    A different Frenchman, Patrick Godet builds his version of the Egli-Vincent (with the blessing of Fritz Egli), but he does also fit Grosset electric start kits to his machines as well as servicing and restoring Vincent’s. Francois Grosset manufactures the actual starter kits.

I got back, yesterday, from a ride up the Wild Atlantic Way.
    Apart from some rain on the first day, we were very lucky and it stayed pretty dry for the whole eight days...although there was plenty of Guinness consumed.

A few snaps from the trip:

A different Frenchman, Patrick Godet builds his version of the Egli-Vincent (with the blessing of Fritz Egli), but he does also fit Grosset electric start kits to his machines as well as servicing and restoring Vincent’s. Francois Grosset manufactures the actual starter kits.
    Thank you. I met Patrick a very long time ago, he was racing a bit. He has become the best address (that I know of) in France for anything Vincent in his Rouen workshop, not just the Eglis that he builds.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I shouldn't get aroused looking at carburettors, but...
    It's of the reasons I am so fond of my Fireblade, last or the carbureted models.

I will no doubt regret it when it runs out of fuel and I've left it on reserve 🙄

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Apart from some rain on the first day, we were very lucky and it stayed pretty dry for the whole eight days...although there was plenty of Guinness consumed.

Lovely, and yes you were very lucky! When I did the WAW a few years back, it was sodden for 6/7 days! Mind you, it was still a fabulous tour. I'd happily go back.

one in the Lakes..

And the bike I was on to photograph it!

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Just catching up with this thread. Sorry to hear of your bother Tony. That looks like a lovely solution for now.

There will always be more Harleys.
    Sorry I missed this - thank you, though, and I actually think it will be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post

We are just back from doing the north west section of the WAW. We did Galway South last time eg Dingle Valentia Island. Last week we did County Mayo and north.

For bikes its less busy than the NC 500 and whilst we found the east coast of Scotland a bit samey the west coast was stunning. The www is like the west coast of Scotland all day long. Probably only missing the majesty of the mountains and glens.

A bit late posting, but had a nice little run out on Friday with my brother who was getting a few miles on his new Street Triple before the running in service.

Realised I didn't have a good shot showing the lid / bike colour co-ordination, which was a happy accident as I had the lid first.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    All these clean bikes are messing with my head!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Thank you. I met Patrick a very long time ago, he was racing a bit. He has become the best address (that I know of) in France for anything Vincent in his Rouen workshop, not just the Eglis that he builds.
    You're very fortunate, I'd loved to have met him. Everyone I've spoken to who had dealings with him said he was an absolute gent and couldn't do enough to help you with your enquiry. It says a lot that Fritz Egli licenced him to manufacture his frames and call them the Egli-Vincent by Godet, he even ordered one himself!

Unfortunately I'll never get to meet the man as he died in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    one in the Lakes..

Beautiful Norvin, great photos!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    We are just back from doing the north west section of the WAW. We did Galway South last time eg Dingle Valentia Island. Last week we did County Mayo and north.

For bikes its less busy than the NC 500 and whilst we found the east coast of Scotland a bit samey the west coast was stunning. The www is like the west coast of Scotland all day long. Probably only missing the majesty of the mountains and glens.
    A few things struck me about the WAW - it's very sparsely populated; there are signs for schools in virtually every village (presumably a by-product of the lack of transport); most of the car drivers appeared to be over 80 years old and never exceeded 20mph (not sure what the driving licence requirements are) - not a problem if you are on a bike but might be very tedious if on four wheels; I saw no EV charging points; they know how to pour a decent Guinness; I was told by a local that you can't get a decent curry or Chinese meal; while there is some great scenery and some great roads, I don't think the WAW can hold a candle to the west coast of Scotland (as a rider's destination).

It's not just the motorcycling.... combining two passions makes it even better! I have some remote spots that I can get to by motorbike, away up the hills. Once the water warms up, there won't be much insect or fish activity up there just yet.

A short video of some of the best riding in Germany on our way back from Nurburg on the 3rd of April

https://youtu.be/SlnWaCl-iyM

My GoPro battery died without me noticing, so I missed the very best 25 miles or so, but we can only dream of riding like this in the South East of England. It even kicks the best of Wales etc. into touch.
    Last edited by andy tims; 12th April 2023 at 16:25.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I'm off to do the WAW end of June.
    Going anti-clockwise from Dublin.
    Can't wait.
    Did NC500 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    I'm off to do the WAW end of June.
    Going anti-clockwise from Dublin.
    Can't wait.
    Did NC500 2 years ago.

It's an epic tour, especially if you take in all the sights/landmarks...

Well that’s two hours of my life that I won’t get back!!

Multiple attempts at tinting the headlight hasn’t resulted in a finish that I would be happy with long term. It’s the look that I want to try but my wrapping skills just aren’t up to snuff.

Now to rethink my options.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Well that’s two hours of my life that I won’t get back...
    That's annoying. As a matter of interest, Greg, is the TEC fork cartridge upgrade as easy as Del Boy makes it look?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That's annoying. As a matter of interest, Greg, is the TEC fork cartridge upgrade as easy as Del Boy makes it look?
    Absolutely Tony, as long as you can get the weight off the front wheel. Stuart Fillingham also made a video for the same upgrade.

Master
    Well that’s two hours of my life that I won’t get back!!

Multiple attempts at tinting the headlight hasn’t resulted in a finish that I would be happy with long term. It’s the look that I want to try but my wrapping skills just aren’t up to snuff.

Now to rethink my options.
    ]
    I share your disappointment, I tinted the headlight on my Honda Monkey. I used a yellow tint “wrap” off Ebay. Hoever despite about three goes trying different cuts, I couldnt prevent the creases.

I know I sound old fashioned , but Im sure you used to be able to buy a yellow paint/ laquer you could paint your headlights before you set off to that there Francais.

Something like this for under a tenner might be worth a punt

https://www.keyperformanceparts.net/...BoCGPoQAvD_BwE

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I share your disappointment, I tinted the headlight on my Honda Monkey. I used a yellow tint “wrap” off Ebay. Hoever despite about three goes trying different cuts, I couldnt prevent the creases.

I know I sound old fashioned , but Im sure you used to be able to buy a yellow paint/ laquer you could paint your headlights before you set off to that there Francais.

Steve
    Yes, I’ve thought about that and some decent bulbs you can buy. I’m considering a yellow lens cap, seems to be a viable option as well.

Something like this or similar perhaps?

https://fastbikebits.com/products/tr...onze-440-t089e

The wrap is ok for now but it will niggle me too much long term.

Absolutely Tony, as long as you can get the weight off the front wheel. Stuart Fillingham also made a video for the same upgrade.
    My plan would be up on the centre stand with some weight on the seat.

I’m assuming you’ll have stumbled across this channel?

https://m.youtube.com/@MOTOUK1/videos

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    A short video of some of the best riding in Germany on our way back from Nurburg on the 3rd of April

https://youtu.be/SlnWaCl-iyM

My GoPro battery died without me noticing, so I missed the very best 25 miles or so, but we can only dream of riding like this in the South East of England. It even kicks the best of Wales etc. into touch.
    Some lovely fast sweepers there Andy. The lead rider ( spareparts?) doesn’t hesitate with the overtakes does he, very smooth and “ good progress”

Steve

Indeed ^^
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    My plan would be up on the centre stand with some weight on the seat.

I’m assuming you’ll have stumbled across this channel?

https://m.youtube.com/@MOTOUK1/videos
    That’s a new one for me, I will definitely check that out.

When you have 2 MOTs on the same day, spending time ensuring that all is well for the MOT with the 1989 motorcycle, means you can ignore the 2019 motorcycle simply expecting it to pass.

The old BMW sailed through again, but the Triumph was going to fail on horn. The tester decided that he'd not yet tested the horn and pointed me at the tool chest while he continued with the test.

One burnt thumb and a lot of swearing later, the horn problem was fixed - sticky switch, not the horn itself - and then he tested it and the bike passed

Master
    When you have 2 MOTs on the same day, spending time ensuring that all is well for the MOT with the 1989 motorcycle, means you can ignore the 2019 motorcycle simply expecting it to pass.

The old BMW sailed through again, but the Triumph was going to fail on horn. The tester decided that he'd not yet tested the horn and pointed me at the tool chest while he continued with the test.

One burnt thumb and a lot of swearing later, the horn problem was fixed - sticky switch, not the horn itself - and then he tested it and the bike passed
    I had a ‘clown horn’ on an IT I had once just for MOT purposes- not sure that approach would cut it nowadays

Not done it on that age of bikes, but for 2 years - arranged for 3 bikes to be MOT'd same day.

1hr up a great road, MOT, back down the same road, swap bikes....... rinse-repeat.

MOT station was great - booked them 2hrs apart, but sorted me out as soon as I arrived each time. (amazing what Ł5 for their biscuit fund - does)

What a day, A39 in North Devon and Somerset has both spectacular roads and views

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might have fallen in love...