closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 204 of 357 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214254304 ... LastLast
Results 10,151 to 10,200 of 17815

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    A friend of mine just traded his Tiger 800 XCA for a 900 GT. He reckons the improvements are substantial, although I think there is a) some need to convince himself his cost to change was worth it and b) the switch from 21" front wheel to 19" front wheel which probably makes the bike a bit more user friendly on the road. Either way, he certainly rates the Tiger 900 pretty highly.
    Well, I'm sure it's a lovely bike. The applause that greeted the 900 range from within the Triumph fraternity was for the most part quite muted, though, which to my mind is more telling.

The spec of the the 800 above is pretty good, and certainly good enough that I wouldn't be losing any sleep over the 900s.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks very much for that, and the timing is actually quite bizarre in that I was thinking about this specific version last night. It's a good spec in terms of components and with the seat set at it's lowest height would theoritically fit me pefectly. I think I need to have a scout around to see if anything's available outside of the Triumph dealership network as well... it's bloody tempting though.

I'm also aware that the improvements in the new 900 are for the most part incremental (although the new TFT screen is a beauty).
    Oooohhhh that looks nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    TFT pah!

I must confess though, that if I were to go fir and adventure bike, the Tiger 800 would be my first choice or possibly an Africa Twin.
    Tiger 800 is a great bike, and to my mind - better built than the BMW 800GS.

Only thing I don't like is lack of 17" front wheel. That steers me towards the Tracer.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Only thing I don't like is lack of 17" front wheel. That steers me towards the Tracer.
    Forgivable, though, considering the Showa front and rear and the genuine off-road capability.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Oooohhhh that looks nice
    Yes, it's nice, isn't it? Anyway, I've asked for a test ride

Master
    ^^^ Look forward to the pictures.

I've been idly looking at this MV Augusta. A local dealer has one in at a reasonable price, but I reckon it may still be considered a "brave choice". Nice looking bike though (IMO).

I'm also aware that the improvements in the new 900 are for the most part incremental (although the new TFT screen is a beauty).
    A friend of mine just traded his Tiger 800 XCA for a 900 GT. He reckons the improvements are substantial, although I think there is a) some need to convince himself his cost to change was worth it and b) the switch from 21" front wheel to 19" front wheel which probably makes the bike a bit more user friendly on the road. Either way, he certainly rates the Tiger 900 pretty highly.
    I also think the 900 range (GT and Rally) is a significant improvement on the 800 range - apart from anything else, and without actually checking the numbers, the engine feels like it has more grunt; it doesn't feel as (top)heavy; the gearing is better; and the radiator/fan doesn't cook your right leg.
    The only bit I don't like of the 900s is the TFT display which, to me, looks a bit toy-like.

More bike related stuff

I've been idly looking at this MV Augusta. A local dealer has one in at a reasonable price, but I reckon it may still be considered a "brave choice". Nice looking bike though (IMO).

They are nice looking in real life.

I was very, very impressed by the look of the Rush 1000 in real life too. Menacing…

Thought I'd post this here incase it's any good for anyone.
    Seems cheap to me for 55 quid, they also got the 2m one for 63.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-OF...-127635-2958-0

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Master

I met a guy in Denbigh N.Wales with a MV F3 looked stunning and tiny. His concern was the nearest service garage was north of Preston eg 90 plus miles away.

Having said that when my BM was in for service im Manchester a guy pulled up on a Superveloce. I think I would happily travel to Edinburgh or Somerzet to get that serviced it was that drop dead gorgeous.

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 3rd July 2021 at 15:50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I met a guy in Denbigh N.Wales with a MV F3 looked stunning and tiny. His concern was the nearest service garage was north of Preston eg 90 plus miles away.

Having said that when my BM was in for service im Manchester a guy pulled up on a Superveloce. I think I would happily travel to Edinburgh or Somerzet to get that serviced it was that drop dead gorgeous.

Steve
    Yeah, that's one of the issues - although it's only 55 miles in my case.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

The 19" front steers very nicely.

Well, I'm sure it's a lovely bike. The applause that greeted the 900 range from within the Triumph fraternity was for the most part quite muted, though, which to my mind is more telling.

The spec of the the 800 above is pretty good, and certainly good enough that I wouldn't be losing any sleep over the 900s.
    I had a 2018 Tiger 800 XRT that was a fantastic bike. Test rode a new 900 recently but preferred the 800. If I was going back to a Tiger I would stay with a later gen 800.

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    I had a 2018 Tiger 800 XRT that was a fantastic bike. Test rode a new 900 recently but preferred the 800. If I was going back to a Tiger I would stay with a later gen 800.
    That does seem to be the view of those who actually know Triumphs. It’s all too easy to be swayed by slick advertising and sexy images.

Most of my riding friends (we’re all around 60 now) have recently moved from 1200gs’s and the like to smaller, lighter bikes-KTM 790/890, Tiger 900xc, Tenere and in my case the F900xr. (BMW)
    None of us are disappointed with performance or handling. I was very tempted to go the 890 route but got a great deal trading my R9T urban for the F900 that clinched it.
    Personally I’d take the 890/F900 over the tiger, which is still a great easy going bike. Tenere is nice , but both it and the Africa twin felt a bit under par in terms of performance (in my view at least)
    Don’t buy the tiger until you’ve ridden an F900xr, at least, and also the KTM 890
    Incidentally all of us have “others” such as Husqvarna, Metisse, classics etc,
    I guess when we can travel again we’ll all end up back in shift-cam 1250 GS’s……

Still looking forward to pics GOAT. Not a bike you hear much about but on Google and spec it looks great!

.....also given that 90% of adventure bikes never leave the road it looks like a great choice. A real life adventure tourer from the looks of things!

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    The 19" front steers very nicely.
    Not compared to a 17” that takes good road-rubber.

Take that further, where 17” rims are compared to carbon fibre wheels, and there is a further quantum leap in handling.

Rotating inertia and gyroscopic effect difference between 19” and 17” is immense.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Still looking forward to pics GOAT. Not a bike you hear much about but on Google and spec it looks great!
    here we go Ray...F900XR TE picture from the sales ad...

at home in my Garage...rides a bit like the excellent Husqvarna Nuda from the era when BMW owned the brand, and now a cult machine in its own right.

and my Husqvarna 701e- I've had this one mapped for the carbon/titanium exhaust and the suspension bespoked to my rider weight- it's just a tad short of 80bhp but weighs approx 138kg, so much more bike than I will ever be a rider but just amazing to ride- it has a Husky spec KTM engine with more mid range and the white power suspension they come with is sublime My old R9T urban that I traded for the f9 is behind it...
    Last edited by GOAT; 3rd July 2021 at 20:24.

Smart bikes and a very smart garage

That's a stunning pair Goat. Considering the 701 myself. Looks like a very capable all rounder.

....but yes, your garage is way too tidy. Mine looks like Steptoes yard!

Cheers!
    If I’m honest I’m not sure the 701e would be a single bike solution, though it handles and goes and stops really well, it’s just possibly too focussed to do it all, dealers are more sparse ,but its special !
    If I had to go to just one bike I could see a Ducati hypermotard 950sp being fun and with a touch more refinement than my 701…
    It’s all great fun!

That's okay GOAT. I'm not a single bike person. Recently sold my mental KXF450 and am looking something a little more user friendly and capable off road. It's the one that seems to tick all the boxes for me at the moment. It also looks great and that's a big plus for me too!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    here we go Ray...F900XR TE picture from the sales ad...

at home in my Garage...rides a bit like the excellent Husqvarna Nuda from the era when BMW owned the brand, and now a cult machine in its own right.

and my Husqvarna 701e- I've had this one mapped for the carbon/titanium exhaust and the suspension bespoked to my rider weight- it's just a tad short of 80bhp but weighs approx 138kg, so much more bike than I will ever be a rider but just amazing to ride- it has a Husky spec KTM engine with more mid range and the white power suspension they come with is sublime My old R9T urban that I traded for the f9 is behind it...
    How do you find the wind buffering at speed on the BMW?

It’s not as bad as my pals KTM 790 but needs improvement so I have a puig taller screen on back order
    The F9 has a lever adjustable screen that you can raise but it doesn’t make as much difference as you’d think
    My 701 got the same treatment (puig) and it made a huge difference so happy to stick with them- they include the aerodynamic studies with the screens
    Mra screens are also highly recommended for the F9….
    The stock seat is also not fantastic so I use the BMW comfort seat that is massively better….

It’s not as bad as my pals KTM 790 but needs improvement so I have a puig taller screen on back order
    The F9 has a lever adjustable screen that you can raise but it doesn’t make as much difference as you’d think
    My 701 got the same treatment (puig) and it made a huge difference so happy to stick with them- they include the aerodynamic studies with the screens
    Mra screens are also highly recommended for the F9….
    The stock seat is also not fantastic so I use the BMW comfort seat that is massively better….
    Thanks for the I fo, enjoy looks a beauty…

Bit of a rubbish end to the working week, so decided to wave the spanners at the Triumph.

Not that I needed to; it was therapy.

Popped off the Givis (which will make LTF happy) and put on the Triumph single sided pannier. Thar gave me the space to pop on the V&H

I prefer the sound of the OE silencer so this will likely be a short lived arrangement, but as the activity was for therapy not practicality, I'll get more therapy later swapping it back :-)

Also removed the PIAA driving lamps. I've demonstrated their effectiveness with a night time cross country ride, but I don't like the positioning, so they are off until I can get some better brackets made up

Just FYI, in my research to find the right electric bicycle to buy (top speeds of 18-36 mph), I encountered this café racer electric for under £5,000. It's the Rumble Air SST, good for 65 mph!

...and the Rumble Henry Air SST for a bit over 5K:

Handy for nipping down to the shops and back to impress the chicks....

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Handy for nipping down to the shops and back to impress the chicks....
    I presume the Rumble is in your back, and the shop being the chemist for the prep-H probably won't clinch it with the senoritas...

Ahhhhhh....sorry.
    My mistake....I thought it was a motorcycle.

Blog Entries
    Ahhhhhh....sorry.
    My mistake....I thought it was a motorcycle.
    Got pedals, so I thought it was a moped!

Garellilectric perhaps?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Got pedals, so I thought it was a moped!

Garellilectric perhaps?
    I think it's a hybrid: too fast and heavy for a "bike," but with pedals I don't think you can call it a "motorcycle." The pedals are probably an attempt to get it categorized legally as a bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Bit of a rubbish end to the working week, so decided to wave the spanners at the Triumph.

Not that I needed to; it was therapy.

Popped off the Givis (which will make LTF happy) and put on the Triumph single sided pannier. Thar gave me the space to pop on the V&H

I prefer the sound of the OE silencer so this will likely be a short lived arrangement, but as the activity was for therapy not practicality, I'll get more therapy later swapping it back :-)

Also removed the PIAA driving lamps. I've demonstrated their effectiveness with a night time cross country ride, but I don't like the positioning, so they are off until I can get some better brackets made up
    Don't think you can do much better than V&H!

After some deliberation, I am considering swapping the Tangerine Dream (Tony, then Greg’s old bike) as it’s too close in engine etc to my GS.

I fancy a sports bike but it needs to be big enough to be comfortable for a 6 foot creaky middle aged man. First on my list is the Aprilia RSV1000R, as I had one years ago and I still miss it, but what else would be an option?

Also if anyone is interested in the R9T staying on the forum let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    After some deliberation, I am considering swapping the Tangerine Dream (Tony, then Greg’s old bike) as it’s too close in engine etc to my GS.

I fancy a sports bike but it needs to be big enough to be comfortable for a 6 foot creaky middle aged man. First on my list is the Aprilia RSV1000R, as I had one years ago and I still miss it, but what else would be an option?

KTM RC8 (used)

KTM 1290GT

any of the current super nakeds >

mt10
    speed triple
    gsxs1000 (this year model looks nice)
    bmw s1000r

or more 'tourey '
    ktm 1290 gt
    bmw 1000 xr

both of the above 'tourers' will give a sports bike a run for the money

I hope it does stay on the forum. Bea still tells me off for selling it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I do want a sports bike, the RC8 is an interesting option!

Me too Tony, let’s see if anyone’s interested. I may still keep it depending on how I get on with test rides. Still the best looking bike I have had!

Thanks for the suggestions, I do want a sports bike, the RC8 is an interesting option!

Me too Tony, let’s see if anyone’s interested. I may still keep it depending on how I get on with test rides. Still the best looking bike I have had!

I think the RC8 is about as adjustable for fit, as any bike can be, and in the right paint scheme - looks fantastic. (There was also an 'Akrapovic Edition')

...... but what else would be an option?
    Gen I Aprilia Tuono Racing.
    Incredible bike (If you've ridden Rotax you'll understand )
    Not cheap...but an appreciating asset.
    Will be changing hands for stupid money in a few years time.

Gen I Aprilia Tuono Racing.
    Incredible bike (If you've ridden Rotax you'll understand )
    Not cheap...but an appreciating asset.
    Will be changing hands for stupid money in a few years time.
    Good suggestion..............

For me - I'd love the later Factory R, with the Ohlins etc.................

^^^good choice
    A good one of those would be a great bike.
    Worth having set up properly to your weight etc…

I do like the later one, almost bought one before getting the 9T. I definitely want a v twin this time.

^^^good choice
    There are so many bikes out there - to use as a second bike, for sure.

Lots of bargains too!

Probably not as 'useable', but the BMW HP2s is a phenomenal open-road bike (a la Honda SP1/SP2 - RSV Mille)

Master
    Mr Learningtofly, your inbox is full.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

^^^good choice
    They are pretty easy to set up...no, very easy.
    Set up correctly they feel so planted, and the feedback you get from both ends is mega.
    I've had a few, my last one was an R, was much higher spec than a Factory though.
    Just couldn't come to terms with the colour of that frame. ;-)

My money would be on the GenI....besides it has the all important steel fuel tank

Master
    ^ That’s what I want to end up on.

Not sure I’ll be able to afford one by the time I’m ready for it, though…

Master
    MOT done today… clean bill of health.
    Tester said that some children were passing behind the bike when he went to start it up and manoeuvre it in to the bay… they weren’t expecting the bark from the TORS as two of them jumped back!!

I’m toying with the idea of trading my xjr1300 for one of these but can’t decide which, if any.

The turbo is £6k whilst the others are around half that.