closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 203 of 359 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253303 ... LastLast
Results 10,101 to 10,150 of 17913

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Us ageing hikers have been steadily moving away from 180mph missiles for some time now, mainly onto large adventure bikes.

Smaller, simpler bikes are, in my opinion, where we will all end up. I chose the XJR1300 (I know, it’s still a big bike) because it’s a bike that I can enjoy at relatively legal speeds and can actually sit comfortably on and ride. I’m sure my next bike will be smaller and have been looking at the KTM390 Duke for a lot of fun in a small package. Sure, the acceleration and exhilaration of large bikes is addictive but it holds the potential of severe injury or severe loss of licence.

At the end of the day though, the important thing to me is just being on the road for as long as I am able.
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Your not the only one Dave, whilst coming from a smaller bike F700gs I too have been looking at KTM 390 Dukes. My friend has the 390 engine in his Husky and he loves it. Two of the lads on UKGS have Ktm 390’s and ditto love them. One thing that sticks in my crop was at launch 4 years ago they were £2999, now they are knocking on the door of £5k ! Im going to watch KTM prices as Nov / Dec approaches. Three years ago in Dec they discounted the 1190’s by £5K from £16 to £11k just by pre registering them with 1 or 2 miles. Some dealers have just started knocking £500 off the outgoing 2020 Duke.
    I traded in my KTM 1290 SDR as I realised the potential for serious pain; physical, financial and loss of licenced fun if I kept it and so switched to a 1250GS. I still love the KTM 1290 motor so I wouldn't rule out a return, although the 890 might be a tad (not much) more sensible after a year or two when prices have levelled out, if they ever do with so many bikes, apparently, stuck on the container ship in Suez combined with the Brexit effect.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I must admit, I'm starting to stare longingly at adventure bikes/tourers
    Even i have succombed to the lure of the adventure bike and have recently joined the club and become `one of those` middle-aged BMW GS pilots.
    Should of done it years ago - they are bloody fantastic.
    I bought an older one to see how i would get on with it but it`s so good i`d consider newer in the future.
    The latest shift cam model must be fecking awesome.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Hold on, the T120 Bonnie is about 80hp or so, versus 47 for the Enfield, that's not "about the same" at all. Even the older T100 Bonnie is about 55-70 bhp.
    Errmmm no. Perhaps I should have made it clear I meant the first T120 650cc in the '70s! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Bonneville_T120

And the T100 you're probably talking about was 54bhp I think. T100 means something slightly different to some of us older guys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Tiger_100
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 30th June 2021 at 15:43.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I must admit, I'm starting to stare longingly at adventure bikes/tourers, wondering what it could possibly be like to ride all day in comfort. Riding a cafe racer at 61 probably puts me in a minority.
    Before you go all FAAB (Fat Arsed Adventure Bike) try a VFR800.
    I'm NOT advocating you should buy....far from it...just try one for an afternoon and you'll experience how good decent ergonomics can be.

I have the R1200GS Rallye sport Tony in an attempt to buy th sportiest GS I could. Its a lovely bike to ride and the weight and size just dissappear as soon as you ride it. Super comfy and even easy to get your knee down on if you like that sort of thing. It's a bit pedestrian though and certainly doesn't have the wow factor of even a smaller sports bike. If it were your only bike (which I know it isn't) then I'd probably go for the KTM1290 or even 7/890 Adventure bike. Just more thrilling to ride. That said, if , like me, you like the looks and cool factor of the GS it's a lovely bike and you won't regret it. If you're ever this far south you're more than welcome to try mine.
    Last edited by manganr; 30th June 2021 at 17:32.

Obligatory pic....

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    I'm NOT advocating you should buy....far from it...just try one for an afternoon and you'll experience how good decent ergonomics can be.
    The good: It would fit me perfectly
    The bad: Too faired for my tastes

Worth a test ride at some point, though, and I know thy have a real following.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I have the R1200GS Rallye sport Tony in an attempt to buy th sportiest GS I could. Its a lovely bike to ride and the weight and size just dissappear as soon as you ride it. Super comfy and even easy to get your know down on if you like that sort of thing. It's a bit pedestrian though and certainly doesn't have the wow factor of even a smaller sports bike. If it were your only bike (which I know it isn't) then I'd probably go for the KTM1290 or even 7/890 Adventure bike. Just more thrilling to ride. That said, if , like me, you like the looks and cool factor of the GS it's a lovely bike and you won't regret it. If you're ever this far south you're more than welcome to try mine.
    That's kind of you, Ray. I must admit the GS range does appeal more than the competition - not even sure why but they look so comfy as well as being kind of cool. KTMs are just too tall for me, and I don't actually like the look of them very much.

Master
    I rolled over 20,000 miles on my GS last week on a short tour around the Lakes and Borders. I can't think of anything I'd replace it with - other than another GS.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Errmmm no. Perhaps I should have made it clear I meant the first T120 650cc in the '70s! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Bonneville_T120

And the T100 you're probably talking about was 54bhp I think. T100 means something slightly different to some of us older guys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Tiger_100
    Really? Your two alternatives for the same purchase were a 1970s Triumph or a brand new Enfield? Odd shortlist.

The good: It would fit me perfectly
    The bad: Too faired for my tastes

Worth a test ride at some point, though, and I know thy have a real following.
    In todays world, the VFR is a bit lacklustre....but from an all day comfort point of view, they are simply amazing.
    I'm 5' 10" and the VFR (for me) is one of the nicest places to be when you need to knock out big miles.
    TBH, I found the GS to be arm chair comfy...but they're so everywhere these days.
    Wonderful touring scoot, but the research shows most never go touring...

Blog Entries
    Maybe, but the tone was one of going looking for a new (lighter) bike to replace the Harley, comparing two available new bikes and choosing the Enfield given the comparable power.
    Looking for a suitable classic to buy is a very different search than buying a new Enfield, requiring a whole different ownership mindset
    I did not 'compare two available bikes' and choose the Enfield. I simply said it was 'about the same power as a T120 Bonnie. Assuming anyone who knew a bit about bikes would realise I meant the '70s Bonnie. As most did.

............ The Enfield was just the size and weight I was looking for and cost a lot less new than I sold my 2007 Harley for! It's about the same power as a T120 Bonnie so enough for 'normal' riding. ................
    If you just want an argument why not go to the BP and leave what is usually a nice thread alone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It would be reasonably fair, considering that the "brand new bike" is an Enfield, and because its power output is -you guessed it- comparable to a Meriden Bonnie.

It's not like you're comparing tires, braking or suspension, although...
    Exactly.

Really? Your two alternatives for the same purchase were a 1970s Triumph or a brand new Enfield? Odd shortlist.
    I think OOK was actually saying that the Enfield had a useable amount of power by comparing the bhp figures to that of a 650 Bonnie. Not that his purchase choice was one or t’other.

But if you want a weird purchase dilemma, I’m currently trying to decide between a 2019 Ducati Hypermotard or a 1932 Ariel Red Hunter. True story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I think OOK was actually saying that the Enfield had a useable amount of power by comparing the bhp figures to that of a 650 Bonnie. Not that his purchase choice was one or t’other.

But if you want a weird purchase dilemma, I’m currently trying to decide between a 2019 Ducati Hypermotard or a 1932 Ariel Red Hunter. True story.
    Exactly what I was saying thanks. Seemed plain enough.
    The Ducati I think.

Blog Entries
    No they weren’t.

The Ducati I think.
    I dunno, I don’t think the Ducati would make a particularly good tourer.

My father had a Red Hunter and we have a picture on the wall. I enquired about a Hypermotard SP a couple of weeks ago but the dealer never got back to me.

Interesting dilemma. Not sure which way I'd jump. Where's the Ariel..? Oh, I think that shows which way I'd jump...

Blog Entries
    I dunno, I don’t think the Ducati would make a particularly good tourer.
    I think the Ducati would be like public enemy on tour, not sensible but exciting.
    The Red Hunter more suited for Sunday pootling.
    I’d want both for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    I done it!!

Zero rider faults/minors.

I am happy :)
    Well done you. I scraped through both of mine but it was just test nerves. I spoke to the examiner after my mod2 and he said he'd given me 5 minors in the first 5 minutes and was getting ready to fail me and then he saw my shoulders relax...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    That’s a sensible approach, I had a both the Fi and the Vtec 800s and they were far better to do long days than the GS adventures that’s replaced them. We regularly did Leyburn in North Yorkshire to Limoges in a day on the VFR’s it would take 2 days on the GS, the seats rubbish and I’ve never got comfortable at high speed. I have persevered for 16 years in the hope I’ll find that sweet spot. The Vtecs was 104 mph .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quick blast on the wife's bike round my end of the Peak District this evening to add 80 miles to my MCN #ride5000miles target for the year. I am now at a smidge under 2000 miles for the year.

I did the same last year, bought a 2004 BMW GS to see would it work for me. Yesterday I nipped to Devon and back and some 400 miles it was flawless. What surprised me most is how much I could hustle in the twisties.

It has convinced me, I am buying a newer model next year but the GSA, I don’t want to stop as often.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Even i have succombed to the lure of the adventure bike and have recently joined the club and become `one of those` middle-aged BMW GS pilots.
    Should of done it years ago - they are bloody fantastic.
    I bought an older one to see how i would get on with it but it`s so good i`d consider newer in the future.
    The latest shift cam model must be fecking awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    What surprised me most is how much I could hustle in the twisties.
    Yes, they have a very reassuring `planted` feel to the chassis which makes duckin` and divin` through traffic and low-speed manouvering a lot easier than their size would suggest.

I know folk like a bit of bling on their GS, so when you`ve had your fill of Touratatt maybe one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/p/1528384587

Well it's felt like a very long 7 months since I got my new bike. Finally today I got to actually ride it!
    Only done 20 mile round the doors to get a feel for it.

Can't wait to be able to take it passed 4000 revs, only 580 miles to go.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Obligatory pic....

Great looking bike Ray!

much as I love a GS (and I’ve owned 8 or 9 over the years- most came home from Munich via the alps) most of my friends and I have moved to more nimble machines- KTM790/890, Triumph Tiger 900xc, Tenere and in my case F900Xr. None of us have any regrets so far….
    We’re all getting on a bit, all have other bikes like Husqvarnas,Metisse, classics etc but don’t feel the need for the weight and cost of, say a new 1250GS (£20k with spec?)
    Of course, we’ll all probably end up on shift cam GS’s when we can travel freely again😂
    The Africa twin also makes a pretty good case for itself…

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    much as I love a GS (and I’ve owned 8 or 9 over the years- most came home from Munich via the alps) most of my friends and I have moved to more nimble machines- KTM790/890, Triumph Tiger 900xc, Tenere and in my case F900Xr. None of us have any regrets so far….
    We’re all getting on a bit, all have other bikes like Husqvarnas,Metisse, classics etc but don’t feel the need for the weight and cost of, say a new 1250GS (£20k with spec?)
    Of course, we’ll all probably end up on shift cam GS’s when we can travel freely again
    The Africa twin also makes a pretty good case for itself…
    Funny you should say that, because I decided today to book a test on the new Tiger. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I've immediately bought everything I've tested

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Great looking bike Ray!
    Thanks Goat. I'm very happy with it but still agree that the KTMs are much more a bikers bike.

Ray

More bike related stuff

Not sure if this video looking at what comes out in the oil from bikes from various manufacturers has been shared here. But just in case you haven’t seen it, it’s quite fun. Honest.

“Which motorcycle manufacturer is the best?”

I bet you will not have guessed number 1….

https://youtu.be/9GAUo8eUXeU
    Last edited by Plake; 1st July 2021 at 20:54.

^^^its a really nice bike Tony, I tested one , found the 890 KTM better, but in the end got an amazingly good deal by trading the R9T for my F900XR which I’d personally put on a par with the 890.
    I wish I’d tried the 950 multistrada

Some pics would be good GOAT!

Us ageing hikers have been steadily moving away from 180mph missiles for some time now
    Not all.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Not all.
    Not yet!

Funny you should say that, because I decided today to book a test on the new Tiger. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I've immediately bought everything I've tested
    Watching with interest Tony.......

I'm sure I've said before, that I did the whole GS thing years ago (2008)after the Charlie and Ewan thing. Out of the three of us that all did it at the time, one is now on his 3rd or 4th GS, the other now rides an Africa Twin. It's only me that's gone down the classic route. I still very much see the appeal of adventure bikes and if I was able to have more than one bike that's where I'd go. However, rather than the BMW I'm pretty sure this time around I'd be looking (not that I have honest) with gooey eyes at the Triumph Tiger 900 Rally....what a great looking bike. I dare not test ride one.

I have a ZX10R and it's a joy to ride but comfy it ain't. Great for Sunday morning blasts and the occasional track day but heavy on the wrists. It replaced a Fireblade which was definitely more comfortable but that's not what it's about. I do like a nice sports bike.

Really enjoying my Street Triple R, but…

I can’t stop reading reviews of the Ducati Multistrada 950s or the Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro, not going to be crossing the Gobi on it but I do like the idea of travelling long trips away in comfort…

My plan is to have some test rides on both later in the year and part ex my bike for one of these two…

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Not sure if this video looking at what comes out in the oil from bikes from various manufacturers has been shared here. But just in case you haven’t seen it, it’s quite fun. Honest.

“Which motorcycle manufacturer is the best?”

I bet you will not have guessed number 1….

https://youtu.be/9GAUo8eUXeU
    Well that was surprising for some I bet!

I have a ZX10R and it's a joy to ride but comfy it ain't. Great for Sunday morning blasts and the occasional track day but heavy on the wrists. It replaced a Fireblade which was definitely more comfortable but that's not what it's about. I do like a nice sports bike.
    I think that unless you are looking at more modern superbikes - then the R-1 and GSXR were a lot more comfortable than the Fireblade and ZX10.

They are all bloody tiny these days!

Fair point Blackal I obviously didn't buy it for comfort. Having ridden all of the big guns the ZX10R was the sharpest handing and the one that gave me the biggest grin. That's why I bought it.

Not all.
    Not yet!
    Fair point, although I'm pretty sure I'll go Super Naked when I can no longer ride a sports / super bike.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Fair point, although I'm pretty sure I'll go Super Naked when I can no longer ride a sports / super bike.
    TMI, Andy, TMI.

A couple of highlights vids from the 2 days at Snetterton this week if you're interested.

These include footage of several of my mates on 1000's going past me at least once and lots of examples of other 1000's pulling away from me on the little old 750 as well as the very annoying guy on the H2R who couldn't ride round corners, but was fast once upright & in a straight line.
    The 29.06 vid includes me out braking myself into turn 1 & the 30.06 vid includes my grass tracking after BSB rider Ryan Vickers overtook me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLat4ZZyx8c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUHjOaQiZpc

Slicks in the rain are always a bit interesting but there just wasn't enough rain to justify the faff of putting on the wets.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Well Andy there is certainly more passing than being passed on the video. Looks like you had a great day. Some nice lines on the corners too, apart the track limits excursion on the 29th video. :) Its interesting the lad wearing the B&W leather who passed you towards the end of the video looks very agile moving around the bike. Many of the other riders seemed locked in one position when cornering and were slower.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Well Andy there is certainly more passing than being passed on the video.
    Cheers

It's just the highlights, but I was definitely "in the black" in terms of my overtake / overtaken ratio. Some of the guys were way better riders regardless of the extra 30 to 50 horsepower on their newer 1000cc 4's or 1200cc Panigali's but I'm normally lower third in the fast group. I was upper third this time. I've been working very hard on improving body position on the bike & getting better at trail braking at it's paying off. At a circuit like Snett though, my lack of power or more tellingly, lack of torque really hurts. I've started having dirty thoughts about getting a 1000.

I'm surprised you didn't mention my trip to the grass in the second video. I was so lucky the grass was not too slippery considering the rain we had, otherwise I doubt I'd have kept it upright.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Great footage Andy. Shame there's no footage of you from other bikes perspective. Just to see yourself and your positioning going through some of the corners. You did well to keep it upright on the wet grass. Wouldn't have taken much to lose the front end there.

TMI, Andy, TMI.
    Tony

My wife has been riding for the past 15 years, and was an IAM senior observer for many of those years.

She had a VFR800 for apprx 3 years, it was competent but dull and definitely top heavy.

She then moved to a K1200R Sport, which is a superb all rounder and fast enough for any rider.

Unfortunately, her osteoarthritis has worsened to the point where she could no longer safely move the K1200R around. I took it over, and enjoyed it for several years.

Anyway, back to the point - she replaced the K12 with a 2014 Street Triple R 675, which was superb to chuck around until the knee /hip position became too painful.

After much fannying around with taller comfort seat and peg lowering kit, we traded the Street Triple R for a 2018 Tiger 800 XRT.

The Tiger ride position is very easy on the hips, knees and back.

You get the buzz of the Triumph triple engine, in a package which is significantly lighter than most of the large adventure bikes.

The local dealer invited us to the launch of the latest model, but the changes are mainly cosmetic, and not worth an additional £4k to upgrade.

I would definitely recommend the Tiger 800 as a great all rounder for comfort over pose value.

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    Tony

My wife has been riding for the past 15 years, and was an IAM senior observer for many of those years.

She had a VFR800 for apprx 3 years, it was competent but dull and definitely top heavy.

She then moved to a K1200R Sport, which is a superb all rounder and fast enough for any rider.

Unfortunately, her osteoarthritis has worsened to the point where she could no longer safely move the K1200R around. I took it over, and enjoyed it for several years.

Anyway, back to the point - she replaced the K12 with a 2014 Street Triple R 675, which was superb to chuck around until the knee /hip position became too painful.

After much fannying around with taller comfort seat and peg lowering kit, we traded the Street Triple R for a 2018 Tiger 800 XRT.

The Tiger ride position is very easy on the hips, knees and back.

You get the buzz of the Triumph triple engine, in a package which is significantly lighter than most of the large adventure bikes.

The local dealer invited us to the launch of the latest model, but the changes are mainly cosmetic, and not worth an additional £4k to upgrade.

I would definitely recommend the Tiger 800 as a great all rounder for comfort over pose value.
    Thanks very much for that, and the timing is actually quite bizarre in that I was thinking about this specific version last night. It's a good spec in terms of components and with the seat set at it's lowest height would theoritically fit me pefectly. I think I need to have a scout around to see if anything's available outside of the Triumph dealership network as well... it's bloody tempting though.

I'm also aware that the improvements in the new 900 are for the most part incremental (although the new TFT screen is a beauty).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 3rd July 2021 at 11:50.

More bike related stuff

TFT pah!

These tell me everything I need to know!

I must confess though, that if I were to go fir and adventure bike, the Tiger 800 would be my first choice or possibly an Africa Twin.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 3rd July 2021 at 10:44.

Master

I'm also aware that the improvements in the new 900 are for the most part incremental (although the new TFT screen is a beauty).
    A friend of mine just traded his Tiger 800 XCA for a 900 GT. He reckons the improvements are substantial, although I think there is a) some need to convince himself his cost to change was worth it and b) the switch from 21" front wheel to 19" front wheel which probably makes the bike a bit more user friendly on the road. Either way, he certainly rates the Tiger 900 pretty highly.