closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 198 of 358 FirstFirst ... 98148188196197198199200208248298 ... LastLast
Results 9,851 to 9,900 of 17892

Thread: More bike related stuff

Warp speed ahead!

This is on my “one bike solution” list.
    Which I have no intention of employing currently ;)

The fact that there are several bikes on the list might mean that in reality it’s a 2-3 bike solution list.

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Incoming!
    20 years of owning a Blackbird and yesterday I paid a deposit on this
    A mate has owned one for a couple of years, having owned an original supercharged H2 for a while, and a chap from work picked one up last week too - good deal on a new 2020 model.

I'm not sure at the moment though that there's anywhere I need to get to that fast!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Gloucester to Aberystwyth and back today.

250 miles. 10 hours. Excellent!

Is it just me or do those panniers just look wrong and out of keeping with that nice Triumph?

Quote Originally Posted by K-Z1R View Post
    Is it just me or do those panniers just look wrong and out of keeping with that nice Triumph?
    Actually, I'm inclined to agree. Sort it out, Ian!

It's not just you.

They do look wrong and not in keeping with the nice Triumph, but they are remarkably practical and allow me to carry stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Actually, I'm inclined to agree. Sort it out, Ian!

Better?

No room for my pies though.

Better?

No room for my pies though.
    Plenty of heritage-style choices out there, from Triumph and others. No need whatsoever to give up your pies.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Plenty of heritage-style choices out there, from Triumph and others. No need whatsoever to give up your pies.
    I do have the single sided Triumph pannier which I might pop back on soon as the Givis are only really needed for trips away.

It could be worse though...

More bike related stuff

Just get a small rucksack for your pies. Or buy a burger at a burger bar FFS!

Of course eating pies and travelling light are mutually exclusive so just buy a gold wing and gave done with it!

I do have the single sided Triumph pannier which I might pop back on soon as the Givis are only really needed for trips away.

Oh my eyes......those Givi ones....uuurgh. ;o)

I totally agree that these bikes look so much better without any panniers at all, but I can't help but feel that the silver ones do give the bike a bit of a Ted Simon vibe.

Journeyman

Triumph one is better. The Givi ones are a no. It looks like something is trying to mate with it.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I gave the black Givis to bwest76 to stop me being tempted to use them again, and the top box has gone to an old uni mate.

I totally agree that these bikes look so much better without any panniers at all, but I can't help but feel that the silver ones do give the bike a bit of a Ted Simon vibe.
    It definitely looks better without the panniers, but it has to be a practical mode of transport as well as a toy. When I use it to go to work I need to carry at least 2 panniers worth of stuff - site safety clothing and IT, and I'd rather have the option to take the bike rather than always having to opt for the car.

Journeyman
    I gave the black Givis to bwest76 to stop me being tempted to use them again, and the top box has gone to an old uni mate.

It definitely looks better without the panniers, but it has to be a practical mode of transport as well as a toy. When I use it to go to work I need to carry at least 2 panniers worth of stuff - site safety clothing and IT, and I'd rather have the option to take the bike rather than always having to opt for the car.
    I know. I have a couple of BMWs with their simple to fit panniers / top box that can be removed quickly when not needed.

Yeah, I think those boxes are the Givi EN360, which can be used as panniers or (in my case) as a top box on my S1000XR.

Bought mine S/H - had been painted to match a fella's grey metallic Blackbird.

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Incoming!
    20 years of owning a Blackbird and yesterday I paid a deposit on this
    That's a beautiful bike Tot. Definitely better sans panniers. A friend of mine has the metallic H2R and it's just draw dropping to me. The grail of modern biked in my opinion. Looking forward to future TZ meet ups. Did I mention I have insurance to ride other bikes!

On a separate note. I have a top box on my GS which I think is great and super useful but some of the stuff people add to them is bordering on the ridiculous just to look like an adventure god when the mileage suggests otherwise.

Looking forward to more pics when you get it and more still when you take it out!

I know. I have a couple of BMWs with their simple to fit panniers / top box that can be removed quickly when not needed.
    BMW frames generally do a good job of integrating into the lines of the bike and don't stand out when the bike is used without the luggage. That said, I feel my BMWs look king of naked without their panniers.

Givi frames aren't as inconspicuous, and I think the bike looks better with the panniers on than with just the mountings

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    That's a beautiful bike Tot. Definitely better sans panniers. A friend of mine has the metallic H2R and it's just draw dropping to me.
    Have they managed to ride it? I thought there was nowhere where the R version could be used as it wasn't road legal and the exhaust was too loud for any UK track :-(

Master
    Have they managed to ride it? I thought there was nowhere where the R version could be used as it wasn't road legal and the exhaust was too loud for any UK track :-(
    But who's going to catch you on the road?

Fast forward to 2.40 -

I've been out with him lots of times. Didn't know it was a problem so never asked. Maybe I'll have a few questions next time!

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I've been out with him lots of times. Didn't know it was a problem so never asked. Maybe I'll have a few questions next time!
    I suspect it might be the H2 rather than the H2R

Infinitely better, and...

Spent the last couple of days adding some bits to my baby GS.

Side panniers, rear hugger, mirror extenders, new screen, phone mounting bracket and radiator cover.

Hopefully this time next month I will have a licence and be able to go out on it.

Just ordered the GIVI crash bars, so they should be on next week.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post

Side panniers, rear hugger, mirror extenders, new screen, phone mounting bracket and radiator cover.

Hopefully this time next month I will have a licence and be able to go out on it.

Just ordered the GIVI crash bars, so they should be on next week.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk
    Save some money for a more powerful horn !

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post

Excellent (though don't let anyone see you've put luggage on it)

The 310 does look like it'll be a lot of fun

Journeyman
    BMW frames generally do a good job of integrating into the lines of the bike and don't stand out when the bike is used without the luggage. That said, I feel my BMWs look king of naked without their panniers.

Givi frames aren't as inconspicuous, and I think the bike looks better with the panniers on than with just the mountings

Yes, there is a lot of framework on show. It has always put me off as it detracts from the nice lines of the bike. But hey ho if needs must etc.

Master
    I put the removable GIVI scaffolding on my GS...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post

Looks quite a bit neater with the frames off. How quick is that to do? I just have to use my ignition key and my BMW panniers are off in seconds.

Master
    Looks quite a bit neater with the frames off. How quick is that to do? I just have to use my ignition key and my BMW panniers are off in seconds.
    It takes a minute or two to put the frames on/off and then the panniers fit on to the frames using the Givi monokey system, so really easy.

1 minute does it.

It takes a minute or two to put the frames on/off and then the panniers fit on to the frames using the Givi monokey system, so really easy.

Wow!!!
    Do those panniers come with a 'WIDE LOAD" sticker?

Master

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Wow!!!
    Do those panniers come with a 'WIDE LOAD" sticker?
    About the same width as the bars really…

Good job I went for the smaller size:

Last edited by downer; 2nd June 2021 at 23:12.

Good job I went for the smaller size:

Hahahahaaaaaa.....

The quick detach Givi stuff is rather good. I had it on my R1200R.

Unfortunately they don't make a QD rack for the Triumph. To be fair, they don't make a non-QD rack for the Triumph either.

Widest bike I've ever owned was a BMW F650 Funduro; the original BMW single cylinder "adventure" bike.

With BMW's factory luggage it was 1,100mm wide, which is 150mm wider than the current R1250GS Adventure

Shame I don't have any photos. Or if I do they are in a box in the loft somewhere as it was before the days of camera phones

I've used a lot of the Givi range. Value for money, it's hard to beat.
    But for utmost speed and convenience not much beats Ventura.
    Also loads of hotels dislike bikers with hard luggage these days...they tend to knock the decor & doorways to shit.
    I now just use a single 30 liter Givi roll for 2-3 week european hoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Also loads of hotels dislike bikers with hard luggage these days...they tend to knock the decor & doorways to shit.
    Surely you simply take out the inner bags and take those in leaving the hard luggage on the bike?

Journeyman
    Widest bike I've ever owned was a BMW F650 Funduro; the original BMW single cylinder "adventure" bike.

With BMW's factory luggage it was 1,100mm wide, which is 150mm wider than the current R1250GS Adventure

Shame I don't have any photos. Or if I do they are in a box in the loft somewhere as it was before the days of camera phones

I have the vario panniers / top box, which I usually leave in the 'slim' position on the GS if they are attached. Usually just use the top box on it. The other bike has expandable panniers which I tend to leave on that bike all the time as they don't trouble the handling at all and although I am showing my age are useful.

Journeyman

That is a neat set up and can be quickly taken off after weekly supermarket shop.

Anyone know anything about custom seats?
    The seat on my Caballero (and everyone else's it seems) is good for about an hour after which it gets quite uncomfortable. It's not a bike you'd buy to ride all day anyway but I'd prefer it if my stops were dictated by something other than bum pain.
    I don't think they're a big enough seller to buy an upgrade off the shelf so I guess I'll have to send mine away so I'd prefer a quick job.

So... recommendations for custom seats that are great looking, superbly comfortable, inexpensive and quick turnaround?

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    The seat on my Caballero (and everyone else's it seems) is good for about an hour after which it gets quite uncomfortable. It's not a bike you'd buy to ride all day anyway but I'd prefer it if my stops were dictated by something other than bum pain.
    I don't think they're a big enough seller to buy an upgrade off the shelf so I guess I'll have to send mine away so I'd prefer a quick job.

So... recommendations for custom seats that are great looking, superbly comfortable, inexpensive and quick turnaround?

In my experience custom seats often aren't that much of an improvement. I bought a Triumph comfort seat for my Speed Triple, it was less comfortable than the standard one. Not wishing to make this mistake again I had a custom seat made for my Tiger Sport. Memory foam, gel insert, the whole shebang. It's "showroom" comfortable in that it feels great when you first sit on it but after an hour the memory foam had collapsed and then it was like sitting on a bag of rocks. I quickly reverted back to the standard seat. A friend of mine who is probably the country's leading medical seating expert said the best thing she's ever seen regarding motorcycle seating is the neoprene rubber inflatable cushion made by Wild Ass, neoprene not the air gel. Air Hawk used to do a neoprene one but it got discontinued due to cost. They don't look very good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    In my experience custom seats often aren't that much of an improvement...
    A friend of mine who is probably the country's leading medical seating expert said the best thing she's ever seen regarding motorcycle seating is the neoprene rubber inflatable cushion made by Wild Ass, neoprene not the air gel. Air Hawk used to do a neoprene one but it got discontinued due to cost. They don't look very good though.
    Thanks. I'm tempted to try a pair of cycling shorts under my riding jeans so will have (at least some) extra padding but on me, rather than on the bike.

I know a motorbike seat and a mountain bike saddle are different but I've already got the shorts so I can try them at no cost.

Thanks. I'm tempted to try a pair of cycling shorts under my riding jeans so will have (at least some) extra padding but on me, rather than on the bike.

I know a motorbike seat and a mountain bike saddle are different but I've already got the shorts so I can try them at no cost.
    Alternatively, only ever half fill your (already small) tank. It gives you a better excuse to stop than a painful rear end.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Alternatively, only ever half fill your (already small) tank. It gives you a better excuse to stop than a painful rear end.
    Or just rely on the fact that the fuel warning light comes on ridiculously early (another one of its 'quirks').

Or just rely on the fact that the fuel warning light comes on ridiculously early (another one of its 'quirks').
    Better too early than too late!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Better too early than too late!
    No fuel warning malarkey on a bike! plunging your left hand towards the fuel tap as the engine starts to stutter, only to find that you did not reset it last time you used the reserve is an experience any self respecting rider needs to have lived at least... a few times!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

While dropping the Diavel off for its annual service, a new rear tyre and a fresh MOT, I booked a test ride on the current KTM 1290 SDR.
    Well, the test ride was today and I think I may have fallen for the younger sister (I traded the older one in last year )

^^^Are they as loopy as the reputation suggests?

Lofts the front end with ease just off the throttle?

It's very much an individual thing.
    What one person finds comfortable, another will find it agonising.
    I've fitted gell inserts to several seats and recovered with success.
    Luimoto do a great range of covers and the quality and fit is superb
    https://www.luimoto.com/?c=1
    There are loads of 'how to' vids on YT for recovering.

Here's a few pics of the last one that I did.

Attention to detail on LM seats is second to none. For instance, the Itallian flag colours are in the correct order on both sides. Ebay covers tend not to do this.
    Last edited by Tifa; 3rd June 2021 at 17:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    No fuel warning malarkey on a bike! plunging your left hand towards the fuel tap as the engine starts to stutter, only to find that you did not reset it last time you used the reserve is an experience any self respecting rider needs to have lived at least... a few times!
    Been there and got the t shirt. Being sat on the side of the A303 with a very grumpy wife, in blazing heat, was a fond memory or my old zx9r

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Been there and got the t shirt. Being sat on the side of the A303 with a very grumpy wife, in blazing heat, was a fond memory or my old zx9r
    The ZX9R is such a great and underrated bike. Sporty yet capable of touring comfortably. Something I'd be happy to ride now. At least while you were sat at the side of the road you could look at your bike and smile that it was great when fuelled up!