closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 29 of 358 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 17887

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Its just not for me tbh. The Striple is way WAY more comfy, I bought the BM on a whim, just wanted a change from my Diavel. It is a real weapon, the monster hp is to die for, but you know what, thats whats frightening me, I may die on it. Its simply overkill in every area making using the hp so soooo easy. Real thing ? Depends on your definition I suppose. I like to have a ride out at weekends with a few mates and enjoy it. On the BM I found myself way to near the edge too many times, or at least my edge. No one ‘needs’ just short of 200 hp on a road bike, its simply unusable for 99% of the time.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I get this ,as unlike the latest Audi BMW 700 bhp wuderkind with abs and four big fat tyres, a superbike requires you to position it and tuck it in at the right time.

Wrong choice and its curtains, in a car you would probably rescue it or at worst lunch it with damaged panels.

Bikes are so viceral , if you are not on it when you push on , they will kill you. The road where I live is described as the most dangerous road in the the UK . Barrowford to Gisburn, its covered in small piles of flowers and lately average speed cameras. Why are these here, one word “bikers”.

So ride what you like but dont chase superbike performance on the open road , save it for track days where you can wear your leathers out.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    The road where I live is described as the most dangerous road in the the UK . Barrowford to Gisburn, its covered in small piles of flowers and lately average speed cameras. Why are these here, one word “bikers”.
    Awesome stretch of road I used to ride every weekend when I lived up there. I always rode it faster in the Gisburn-Barrowford direction but the last left hander as you drop into the 30mph zone can easily catch the unwary out!
    It’s nearly twenty years since I last rode it but I doubt it’s changed much! I have though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Awesome stretch of road I used to ride every weekend when I lived up there. I always rode it faster in the Gisburn-Barrowford direction but the last left hander as you drop into the 30mph zone can easily catch the unwary out!
    It’s nearly twenty years since I last rode it but I doubt it’s changed much! I have though
    Off camber left hander , always nasty, even on on a pushbike. As you drop into the 30 there are two big differences , two huge average speed columns!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Tony, with all due respect, you are far too inexperienced to comment in such an authoritative fashion. You like your ST.....fine. But it is by far the best bike out there......as I am sure you will be posting in the next 3/4/5 months when the next Ducati/Triumph/whatever, is on your driveway.
    Trust me, Simon, I've done enough research to understand exactly how highly it's rated (I've probably watched or read hundreds of detailed tests and reviews of this particular bike over the past few months, as well as having clocked up 1,500 miles on mine). I'd say that I'm adequately qualified, and my view is supported by almost every motorcycling pundit. You're just miffed because I pulled you up for a silly and unnecessary comment.

Edited to add, let's not argue over it. Brotherhood and all that
    Last edited by learningtofly; 14th February 2019 at 21:17.

Off camber left hander , always nasty, even on on a pushbike. As you drop into the 30 there are two big differences , two huge average speed columns!
    I once ran wide there on my 900ss. Fortunately there was nothing coming the other way or it would have been nasty.

I never did it again!

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    You know what, they say an S1000RR is a road bike you can use on the track, I’d say its actually a track bike slightly modded to be legal on the road.

Stuart
    Sure you can’t use anywhere near to all of it on the road (unless you’re both a very fast rider and a nutter, but they are very good road bikes. Heated grips, ABS, traction control, great handling - what’s not to like?

Can’t see me selling mine any time soon.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Sure you can’t use anywhere near to all of it on the road (unless you’re both a very fast rider and a nutter, but they are very good road bikes. Heated grips, ABS, traction control, great handling - what’s not to like?

Can’t see me selling mine any time soon.
    Haha agree Andy. Trouble is they are too good for the road (imo) almost amounting to being wasted on there. I doubt more than 1 or 2% of road owners are anywhere near capable of getting near the bikes limit. Many will try of course, but they end up being a danger to themselves, and even worse, to other road users. And thats one of the issues for me, the hp, brakes, handling is world class, which makes it all too easy to go warping all the time everywhere. Sometimes you dont even realise just how quick you are going till you look down. As an actual bike to be used totally on the road they are way more than overkill, and for me, I know I will actually enjoy the Striple more. Will I miss the grin factor twisting the throttle gives, course I will, but as a useable road bike, not for me.

My Striple has heated grips, ABS etc as well !!

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Are you sure it wasn’t the KR1? It was known for going bang regularly; the KR1S was much more reliable (as highly strung two stokes go!)
    It was definitely a KR1S... he was just 17 so you can imagine how it got ridden... I clocked him from my ZZR1100 at 130 on one occasion... it was fast, but not reliable.

Knowing the abuse I gave four strokes when I was seventeen, I can well believe that even the most reliable highly tuned two stroke is going to give trouble!

Knowing the abuse I gave myself when I was seventeen, I can well believe that even the most reliable highly tuned two stroke is going to give trouble!
    Fixed that for ya..............

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Fixed that for ya..............
    Well that too but usually not when I was on the bike!

I have to say since the full rebuild its done 1100 faultless “exciting “ miles. The way these 90’s two strokes make power is awesome. About 25 bhp upto 4.5 k rpm then as the carbs come on song a further 10 bhp. Then at 6.5K a small mars bar sized servo motor opens the power valves and then it 60 bhp all day long! Remember this is only 130kgs wet through.

At this point point you smile , hang on, fill the road behind you with clouds of blue smoke and watch the rev counter bury itself in 11,000 rpm, change up , here we go again. MCN tested them in 1989 at 145mph, remember these are 250’s.

It will be up for sale in SC in the Spring !
    Great fun aren't they we all had tuned 250s and every weekend was like a mini Grand Prix - and probably more skill and fun than when we moved to 750s/1000s etc. What I used to like was the narrow powerband meant you had to get all the corners lined up and it encouraged you to "flow".

As I said early on in this thread one of my friends worked the endurance pits and racing in the next garage was Mat Oxley who managed a 100mph average of the IOM TT on a proddy TZR250.

First proper run out today on my new bike since passing my Mod2 a couple of weeks ago. Got a great deal on a pre reg that will keep me going until I get a Speed Twin later this year.

What a fantastic day in the sun on a new bike!

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post

First proper run out today on my new bike since passing my Mod2 a couple of weeks ago. Got a great deal on a pre reg that will keep me going until I get a Speed Twin later this year.

What a fantastic day in the sun on a new bike!
    Beautiful (I love that finish), and what a great day to take it our properly for the first time

I'm down for a pretty immediate test of the Speed twin once Herts Triumph get their demos in. Have you requested an invite to the forthcoming open evening that the dealer network is hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Beautiful (I love that finish), and what a great day to take it our properly for the first time

I'm down for a pretty immediate test of the Speed twin once Herts Triumph get their demos in. Have you requested an invite to the forthcoming open evening that the dealer network is hosting?
    Thanks mate - yes I am very pleased with it. 100 miles today to get the new tires bedded in and it was great fun  Love the sound from the standard pipes and the 'proper' motorbike look after training on a MT07. It's the sound and look I always had in my mind when I started this journey as silly as it seems!

Yes got an invite for next Thursday but going to be back from work late that day so not sure if I will be able to make it unfortunately. My dealer have had one in for a couple of weeks now so have had a good nose around. Bloody lovely! Bit too rich on cost and insurance for my first bike as tempting as it was but definitely on my short list for my next bike 

Master
    You're 28 pages late to the party, but better late than never

Here it is! :)

Dusted off my R9T today and donned my black jeans (it’s a Friday after all) and headed in to work.

Lovely late winter day and a nice early run out on the bike.

Took my 700GS to the bike shop to spoil it it with a DID X ring chain and sprocket set, no chain adjustment for me for the next 5000 miles
    Very unlikely you'll get 5000m without an adjustment chap.
    New chains chains always need adjusting to take out natural stretch way before that.
    Amazed you take it to the shop to have something like this done.
    It's a 40 min job max to swap out a chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Dusted off my R9T today and donned my black jeans (it’s a Friday after all) and headed in to work.

Lovely late winter day and a nice early run out on the bike.
    Impressed ... my R9T is still under covers in the garage!

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Impressed ... my R9T is still under covers in the garage!
    Was snow and frozen waste here a fortnight ago but today was like a spring day. 12C and bright sun so it seemed rude not to!

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Was snow and frozen waste here a fortnight ago but today was like a spring day. 12C and bright sun so it seemed rude not to!
    I was riding in town today (stopped for a while in Regents Park - it was beautiful) and was too hot in my thermals!

I was riding in town today (stopped for a while in Regents Park - it was beautiful) and was too hot in my thermals!
    Turned off the heated grips after about 5 mins!

I’ve never ridden so much as this winter- about a 1000 miles since Christmas. My father-in-law has just surprised me by buying this, it’s got an engine like a jet and makes my old Blackbird feel slow

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I’ve never ridden so much as this winter- about a 1000 miles since Christmas. My father-in-law has just surprised me by buying this, it’s got an engine like a jet and makes my old Blackbird feel slow

Ah, the Performance Edition, cos the stock ZZR1400 wasn't quick enough

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Very unlikely you'll get 5000m without an adjustment chap.
    New chains chains always need adjusting to take out natural stretch way before that.
    Amazed you take it to the shop to have something like this done.
    It's a 40 min job max to swap out a chain.
    I had new sprockets and new chain fitted , its a rivet chain which is above my ability. Yes you are right at about 150 miles I will re tension the chain , but from then on, nothing if its as good as th last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post

2007 Fireblade
    Cracking bike -super-stable, great-handling, linear power, and the basis of an all-conquering TT period....

Was so-o-o close to getting one - just too small for my stiffening joints.

Master
    Cracking bike -super-stable, great-handling, linear power, and the basis of an all-conquering TT period....

Was so-o-o close to getting one - just too small for my stiffening joints.
    Thanks. It is. Before the Blade I had a Daytona and before that a Honda VTR1000SP1. The Blade handels so well and it is so stable. I have fitted a smaller sprocket in front (one tooth) and a bigger sprocket in the back (2 teeth). I think that improves the funfactor.

Well, I've been meaning to sort out a helmet cam for a while, and I now have all the bits I need... Ion Air Pro 3 camera, memory card, external (Drift HD Ghost) external microphone and an accessory mount kit which is needed for the right-angled mount to go on the side of the helmet. I bought the camera from an Amazon Marketplace seller for £99 (a superb price, and he has another one listed), and in total I've spent a tad under £150 for the whole lot.

I'm just charging the camera, and will then get it and the mic fitted to my helmet before taking it out over the weekend for a test. I've never done anything like this before, as aside from general recording for safety reasons I'm also going to have a stab at starting a YouTube channel.

Master
    ^^^ Are you planning to call your channel "The Learningto Flyer"?

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Hah! Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    If you do, please God don't start the vlog with HAY KIDZ

Well, I'm good to go!

Edit: I've amended the URL above as I've actually created a new channel, but any subscriptions (thanks!) have been copied across.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th February 2019 at 10:21.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If you do, please God don't start the vlog with HAY KIDZ
    Yeah, that's really annoying!

Master
    Tony’s first video will be “ how I built a fortune buying and selling classic watches, and spent it all on Triumphs and Ducati’s” Steve

Tony’s first video will be “ how I built a fortune buying and selling classic watches, and spent it all on Triumphs and Ducati’s” Steve
    Chance would be a fine thing, Steve

when making bike videos the first thing you need to learn is how to blur your speed out so you dont incriminate yourself :)
    https://windows-10-movie-maker.com/e...in-videos.html

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    when making bike videos the first thing you need to learn is how to blur your speed out so you dont incriminate yourself :)
    https://windows-10-movie-maker.com/e...in-videos.html
    Ah, that could come in useful

Actually, editing video footage is going to be a whole new challenge for me. iMovie - native to the Mac OS - is apparently a pretty powerful tool and not too hard for beginners. God knows how the early attempts will come out, though!

Master
    Ah, that could come in useful

Actually, editing video footage is going to be a whole new challenge for me. iMovie - native to the Mac OS - is apparently a pretty powerful tool and not too hard for beginners. God knows how the early attempts will come out, though!
    Mrs Berin videos a lot of our off road trips, and uses iMovie to edit the result. The last one took 40 hrs down to 20 minutes for a short movie, and a 3 minute vimeo clip results from 8 hrs of footage.
    She still uses iMovie though we do have the full fat Adobe video editing product, for ease of use

Mrs Berin, by the way, uses Vimeo not YouTube, for reasons i think to do with the amount of HD you can upload. However, she's not seeking "followers" for which i suppose YouTube may be better.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Mrs Berin videos a lot of our off road trips, and uses iMovie to edit the result. The last one took 40 hrs down to 20 minutes for a short movie, and a 3 minute vimeo clip results from 8 hrs of footage.
    She still uses iMovie though we do have the full fat Adobe video editing product, for ease of use

Mrs Berin, by the way, uses Vimeo not YouTube, for reasons i think to do with the amount of HD you can upload. However, she's not seeking "followers" for which i suppose YouTube may be better.
    Noted, thanks.

Anyway, the camera looks okay - a bit less intrusive than a GoPro.

Is that a self-adhesive camera mount?

Cheers,

Plug

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    Is that a self-adhesive camera mount?

Cheers,

Plug
    Yes, it's got quite a powerful adhesive/stickiness on both sides, although yo prompted me to have a look at it and give the top edge a bit of a press. It's quite firmly stuck on all sides now, although the helmet's a b*stard for finding a decent place to stick it due to the shape and detailing of the outer shell. If it proves to be a problem I suppose I'll have to try it on the top (albeit I really don't want to have to do that).

As an aside, all the helmet mounts are stick-on jobs, aren't they?

Those stickies are pretty resilient - just prepare the surface with isopropyl alcohol if possible.

Why fix to the right side, though?

Left hand is the one which you can (mostly) lift from the bars to adjust stuff.

More bike related stuff

Those stickies are pretty resilient - just prepare the surface with isopropyl alcohol if possible.

Why fix to the right side, though?

Left hand is the one which you can (mostly) lift from the bars to adjust stuff.
    I gave it a good clean, actually. Re the side, this camera doesn’t really have any onboard controls - just on/off and standby, all operated by a switch on the top. Everything else is via an app on the phone, so I won’t be messing with it whilst riding.

Well, I've just posted my first video. Unfortunately it's become very compressed following YouTube's processing, so I'll have to think about how best to avoid that in future. It also has a bit of shake (despite the alleged stabilisation) and it's not really edited - I've only just found some editing software i can use, in fact, as my Macbook Pro doesn't seem able to run iMovie for some reason

Anyway, hopefully the next one will be a lot better, as it'll be straight (!), edited and with a bit of luck better quality once uploaded. Oh, and not boring as sh*t

Edit: I'm actually creating a slightly better/corrected version in Movavi, so will likely upload that as a v2 once I've finished. I'ver also been able to install and open iMovie 10, in place of version 8 that I suspect was preinstalled on my laptop. It certainly works now, although it doesn't seem to have a great deal of editing functionality.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 20th February 2019 at 00:51.

Well, I've just posted my first video. Unfortunately it's become very compressed following YouTube's processing, so I'll have to think about how best to avoid that in future. It also has a bit of shake (despite the alleged stabilisation) and it's not really edited - I've only just found some editing software i can use, in fact, as my Macbook Pro doesn't seem able to run iMovie for some reason

Anyway, hopefully the next one will be a lot better, as it'll be straight (!), edited and with a bit of luck better quality once uploaded. Oh, and not boring as sh*t

Edit: I'm actually creating a slightly better/corrected version in Movavi, so will likely upload that as a v2 once I've finished. I'ver also been able to install and open iMovie 10, in place of version 8 that I suspect was preinstalled on my laptop. It certainly works now, although it doesn't seem to have a great deal of editing functionality.
    Hi Tony,

just had a cheeky watch of your video at work ! I stuck around and stayed tuned so to speak........very much in the MF vibe, but watchable. Based upon your photography skills I'm sure you'll get the camera work licked in no time. You also clearly get the need to edit and potentially change between point of view.....videos filmed all from the same viewpoint lose your interest in a surprisingly short time. You've certainly got the audio sorted ok and you clearly have no issues chatting away ....maybe an idea to plan ahead and focus your content a little more, but I'm sure that'll come over time. Looking forward to the next one

Grand Master
    Just loving The TTR now I’ve tweaked it and did the decat yesterday.

RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Hi Tony,

just had a cheeky watch of your video at work ! I stuck around and stayed tuned so to speak........very much in the MF vibe, but watchable. Based upon your photography skills I'm sure you'll get the camera work licked in no time. You also clearly get the need to edit and potentially change between point of view.....videos filmed all from the same viewpoint lose your interest in a surprisingly short time. You've certainly got the audio sorted ok and you clearly have no issues chatting away ....maybe an idea to plan ahead and focus your content a little more, but I'm sure that'll come over time. Looking forward to the next one
    I really appreciate that, and yes - the audio quality seemed okay (I bought a Drift external mic, actually) even if the video itself needed some refinement. I also need to focus my rambling a bit more, as you say.

As a matter of fact, I've just slightly edited/enhanced the original footage and the new/replacement video should be uploaded in a few minutes. I'll post here when it's live, and if you get an opportunity to have a look I'd appreciate your views.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Just loving The TTR now I’ve tweaked it and did the decat yesterday.
    Lovely, Kerry. I tested the new Speed Twin couple of days ago, which essentially a Thruxton with a slightly more upright riding position. I loved it, which bears out your point that 1200cc wouldn't have been a problem for me.

Grand Master
    Lovely, Kerry. I tested the new Speed Twin couple of days ago, which essentially a Thruxton with a slightly more upright riding position. I loved it, which bears out your point that 1200cc wouldn't have been a problem for me.
    The Thruxton isn’t that upright it has the illusion of being so but the bars are actually extended off the forks, Street Twin is OK for those on a budget but it will dump on residuals very quickly.

Sound On......https://www.instagram.com/p/BuELO8igd76/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    The Thruxton isn’t that upright it has the illusion of being so but the bars are actually extended off the forks, Street Twin is OK for those on a budget but it will dump on residuals very quickly.

Sound On......https://www.instagram.com/p/BuELO8igd76/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
    No, it was the new SPEED Twin that I tested, and I said that it's MORE upright than the Thruxton. Have you got your glasses on?