closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 171 of 359 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221271 ... LastLast
Results 8,501 to 8,550 of 17910

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thats very kind of you indeed but Ive already bitten the bullet, Andy. Thanks though, I appreciate the offer.
    No worries.... if anyone else would like them. Give me a shout.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    The only bike mag I kept (and I used to buy em all) was PB from May 96.

It featured me and my Tiger as the readers special.... I think I bought 6 copies.浪浪

I do actually remember reading that article. Nice looking bike.
    Dont think I kept the magazine as, in those days you just accumulated them so quickly.

Loved the look of the original tiger.

Then they made it ugly with that horrible shaped jelly mould tank.
    I had the ugly one for a few weeks.

Then on to the next bike.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    I do actually remember reading that article. Nice looking bike.
    Dont think I kept the magazine as, in those days you just accumulated them so quickly.

Loved the look of the original tiger.

Then they made it ugly with that horrible shaped jelly mould tank.
    I had the ugly one for a few weeks.

Then on to the next bike.
    Yes, it really was a great bike, and back then Triumph over engineered everything. Grease nipples on all suspension linkages, needle roller bearings. Just good solid engineering.

Yes, it really was a great bike, and back then Triumph over engineered everything. Grease nipples on all suspension linkages, needle roller bearings. Just good solid engineering.
    I've often wondered - what happened to grease nipples; where/why did they go?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    They cost money. Not having them earns the dealers money when stuff wears out..

Master

Termignoni Carbon end cap 250

Brake lever 122

Fuel tank with side panel 1292 + emblems and stripes 58

Bar end with mirror 82

Back to this. Looks like Ill be taking the damaged parts off, and another biker mate will be repairing and spraying as required. Then Ill stick it back together as good as new...

But this got me thinking. What if my mate went through the insurance? So I did a bit of research...

Prices are outrageous

I make it 1805 and I havent included the down pipe because I think thats just melted tarmac. Add in a couple of hundred quid labour and weve got a dropped bike costing over 2k to repair... yikes.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Imagine what the cost would be for a fully faired sports jobbie Enoch ? Youd most likely still damage the same components, plus the plastics as well !!

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Imagine what the cost would be for a fully faired sports jobbie Enoch ? Youd most likely still damage the same components, plus the plastics as well !!

Stuart
    Eh up Stuart happy new year..

Yes I thought about that when I was searching for the parts..... imagine dropping a new V4 Panagale with its carbon winglets...

Master
    Eh up Stuart happy new year..

Yes I thought about that when I was searching for the parts..... imagine dropping a new V4 Panagale with its carbon winglets...
    Andrew a lad in my old village dropped his Pikes Peak Multistrada getting it off the trailer ( having just collected it) . He cracked the left hand side top fairing by the headlight and the tail fairing plus an indicator , all carbon 1800 from Leeds Ducati. He had done zero miles on it!

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    A group of us did in a relay a couple of years ago for charity. We got a brand new royal enfield from the importer to do it with. It clocked up just over 4700 miles. The bike started at 8am on the Monday morning and apart from fuel, oil, chain tightening and rider changes it was never stopped until it finally finished at 2am on the Friday morning having never missed a beat.

Oh what fun you can have on a bike!!

That must have been an ace adventure, plus a glowing endorsement for RE.

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Andrew a lad in my old village dropped his Pikes Peak Multistrada getting it off the trailer ( having just collected it) . He cracked the left hand side top fairing by the headlight and the tail fairing plus an indicator , all carbon 1800 from Leeds Ducati. He had done zero miles on it!

Steve
    Ooh not good.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Hey Enoch, all the best to you my mate as well, in fact to all the guys n gals on here that make this such a good forum.

This weather is just not good for us bikers, well, us fair weather versions at any rate. Roll on spring and the better weather. Hopefully combine that with a relaxation of lockdown and we can all get out again on our bikes.

I think the cost of the repairs, even for a simple stationary drop, is the reason so many bikes are being written off these days. The cost to repair is deemed uneconomical. I know a couple of lads this has happened to, basically cosmetic damage, but their bikes were written off. One of the lads actually bought his bike back from the insurance company, put new plastics and a few other bits on it and ran it for a few more years. I think his insurance was loaded a bit more as it was a Cat whatever, but he was happy with it.

Stuart

Master
    That must have been an ace adventure, plus a glowing endorsement for RE.

Steve
    It was fun, yes theyre not spectacularly fast but at 2am going through country villages at what seems like warp factor speeds it was a blast. I did tynemouth down to Bridlington and would do it again any day. The only modification we did was set up Panier frames to put 2 jerrycans of fuel on to get around the north of scotland.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    A group of us did in a relay a couple of years ago for charity. We got a brand new royal enfield from the importer to do it with. It clocked up just over 4700 miles. The bike started at 8am on the Monday morning and apart from fuel, oil, chain tightening and rider changes it was never stopped until it finally finished at 2am on the Friday morning having never missed a beat.

Oh what fun you can have on a bike!!

Thats interesting to hear, what model was it? Was it one of the new twins?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...uction-in-2021

They may need to rethink the name but looks good value...

Master

New Project

Due to lockdown I thought Id upgrade my work bench and give myself another storage shelf. The plan is to make a bench and a top shelf.

The bench will house my lathe, pillar drill, linisher and bench grinder, and the top shelf is just extra storage.

Dexian racking is a great way to make a custom sized bench, heavy and strong and not to expensive. So far Ive spent around 150 on the racking and some 25mm ply. The beams are 180mm to long, so tomorrow will be spent cutting out the excess material and re welding the beams.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...uction-in-2021

They may need to rethink the name but looks good value...
    Hahahaha.......I initially thought the brand was "Brenda".....the reality is even worse!

Meanwhile back in the shed I've begun my bikes 'winter changes'.....

Can't wait until it reemerges like a butterfly from a chrysalis......bit more work to do first though.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Hahahaha.......I initially thought the brand was "Brenda".....the reality is even worse!

Meanwhile back in the shed I've begun my bikes 'winter changes'.....

Can't wait until it reemerges like a butterfly from a chrysalis......bit more work to do first though.
    Oh, very excited. What's happening to the SS???

My new bike has been delayed indefinitely as the dealership is closed with all staff furloughed...

Oh, very excited. What's happening to the SS???

My new bike has been delayed indefinitely as the dealership is closed with all staff furloughed...
    Ooohhh.....I bet you're gutted about the new bike?

The SS is being treated to some paint, some powder coat and a few new bits......note the new shocks already on

Ooohhh.....I bet you're gutted about the new bike?
    Not really. I'd not want to ride it during lockdown, in the cold, and with all the salt about. And at the moment I've got nowhere to put it either as lockdown restrictions prohibit me from moving bikes about between garages.

The SS is being treated to some paint, some powder coat and a few new bits......note the new shocks already on
    Nice to see the shocks. Notice much difference?

Intrigued by the paint.

Nice to see the shocks. Notice much difference?

Intrigued by the paint.
    Shocks have only been fitted during my strip down......so no experience of them yet.

I received an email from the painters just after posting yesterday with some pics......it's nearly finished already!!! But I will save the anticipation for a 'big reveal' once it's all back together .

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    They haven't gone. You can buy them, drill and tap where you want to fit them and away you go. No more worn out bearings/linkages......

But people would rather buy some tacky go-faster carbon/shiny tinsel to stick on their bikes than something that's of any real and tangible benefit

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    They haven't gone. You can buy them, drill and tap where you want to fit them and away you go. No more worn out bearings/linkages......

But people would rather buy some tacky go-faster carbon/shiny tinsel to stick on their bikes than something that's of any real and tangible benefit
    That and most wouldn't be able to drill, let alone, tap the hole in the first place.

Not sure my petrol tank would really benefit from the addition of a grease nipple......

But if it makes you feel better I've just taken delivery of a new socket set and I feel like a kid a Christmas

Not sure my petrol tank would really benefit from the addition of a grease nipple......
    Youll never know until you try it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Thats interesting to hear, what model was it? Was it one of the new twins?
    Ill see if Ive still got some of the pictures about. It certainly was quick enough to get into trouble on a dark night.

No farkles on any of my bikes!
    Plenty of nipple action, though....

You`ve got to, to prevent horrors like this;

Master
    Mmm... that bottom one has a grease nipple... but looks like its never been used🤪🤪

Oh yeah!
    ...and that`s the linkage i had to cut off to get it out due to it being seized solid..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Oh yeah!
    ...and that`s the linkage i had to cut off to get it out due to it being seized solid..
    I wonder how many of us actually own a grease gun..😈

Master
    I wonder how many of us actually own a grease gun..
    I have, but Id be hard pushed to find it at present. My BSA 250 afforded me a good opportunity with clutch arm and swing arm points plus brake arms.......happy days, I just wished the the bike would go for more than 30 miles before something falling off or breaking down.

For some nostalgia see my May evening ride hear and listen to the sound of the engine, mainly metal on metal!

https://youtu.be/bvoxb2MW_9s

Steve

Anyone using a bike dryer?
    Any recommendations based on ownership much appreciated- been thinking of a Bruhl machine...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Any recommendations based on ownership much appreciated- been thinking of a Bruhl machine...
    Yes yes yes..... I have the MD1900 and its brilliant. I bought 3 and got a great price from j&s. 2 biker buddies had the other 2.

One of the buddies uses his to dry off his shooting dogs after a hard day in the fields. They sit their as good as gold whilst warm air hits them.

One very important thing though.. you must wear hearing protection whilst using it. The machine itself is relatively quiet, much quieter than a vacuum cleaner for example. But as soon as you direct air at the bike (or car) the volume is very loud.

I mostly use the flat attachment as it seems to blow away the water better, and then the round nozzle for getting into tight areas..

Master
    I bought one from Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I paid 54 a bit over a year ago and it works well.

Got the Bruhl 2800. Great bit of kit, highly recommended one.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

I have, but Id be hard pushed to find it at present. My BSA 250 afforded me a good opportunity with clutch arm and swing arm points plus brake arms.......happy days, I just wished the the bike would go for more than 30 miles before something falling off or breaking down.

For some nostalgia see my May evening ride hear and listen to the sound of the engine, mainly metal on metal!

https://youtu.be/bvoxb2MW_9s

Steve
    That looked like a lovely run, Steve, and the bike sounded wonderful!

Master
    That looked like a lovely run, Steve, and the bike sounded wonderful!
    Cheers Tony literally 50m from my house where I lived in Lancashire. It is great for bimbling roads for bith biking and cycling. The Beeza had a new exhaust in my care, whilst out on a ride it blew a hole (I kid you not) 2” along the seam 1/2” wide. I remember going for a run on it and when getting home thinking “ the back of the bike looks strange “ yep the rear light assembly had vibrated off bulbs wiring , the lot. Happy days.

I have 3.

Two with regular Castrol LMP grease; one with a regular grease nipple fitting and the other with a conical fitting for BMW boxer twin swingarm pivots

One with Harley Davidson specified grease for my old Sportster

Now, the question is, when did I last use one of them...

Yes I have one, they are superb for getting all the water out of places it would just sit and possibly cause corrosion, makes drying the bike a fairly quick affair too.

Thanks all
    Now shopping around for a Bruhl.....
    🐐

Thanks all
    Now shopping around for a Bruhl.....
    🐐
    Best price I found at the time for the 2800 was 185 from mad4bikes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bruhl-MD2....m46890.l49292

https://mad4bikes.co.uk/bruhl-md2800...ariable-speed/

Not showing in stock at the mo but worth keeping an eye on.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

I do - Use it to grease the hub bearings on my trailer

I have this

https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/...lowr-mini.aspx

Good enough for the cars - more than adequate for the bikes
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I just use a leaf-blower.

Lack of heated air means it just blasts the water off, rather than evaporating it (leaving any salts on surfaces)

Don't be put off by people recoiling with "But any particles in the air will be blasted at your paintwork!" (what - like when you are riding at 80mph?)

Only advantage to the blowers what have the hose and nozzle - is that you can manoeuvre it into gutters, drain pipes etc to blast them out.

I do, but it hasn't needed to be used in years :(

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I just use a leaf-blower.

Lack of heated air means it just blasts the water off, rather than evaporating it (leaving any salts on surfaces)

Don't be put off by people recoiling with "But any particles in the air will be blasted at your paintwork!" (what - like when you are riding at 80mph?)

Only advantage to the blowers what have the hose and nozzle - is that you can manoeuvre it into gutters, drain pipes etc to blast them out.
    At the other end of the scale I use a pet dryer. Half the price of the moto versions and the same power as most of them.

Craftsman
    At the other end of the scale I use a pet dryer. Half the price of the moto versions and the same power as most of them.
    Thanks, That saves literately as you say half. Crazy.

If you have an oil/air cooled BMW 1200 do not wash it and then put it in the garage. Wash it before you take it out for a ride so it has a chance to really get dry.

I have a nice collection of BMW 1200 alternators from customers bikes that have seized due to the ali cases corroding and cracking..... i'll take a picture of them and post it on the forum next time i'm in the workshop.

It's becoming fairly common, mostly on low mileage clean bikes that get put in the garage after being washed and then left waiting for the next sunny day to be ridden.

Bikes used daily and seldom washed rarely suffer from this problem.

I have a compressor so usually use that to blow water out of hard to reach nooks.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I do - Use it to grease the hub bearings on my trailer

I have this

https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/...lowr-mini.aspx

Good enough for the cars - more than adequate for the bikes

I don't think I could bring myself to buy a Big Boi Blwr.

I love this thread, bike hairdryers... a concept I have never heard of!

I am sad enough though to have an in line water filter, and a garage dehumidifier, which is way less effort