closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 356 of 360 FirstFirst ... 256306346354355356357358 ... LastLast
Results 17,751 to 17,800 of 17962

Thread: More bike related stuff

You’re right, I’m not sure if using practical knowledge of most likely breakages counts as cheating, but right nonetheless.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 7th April 2024 at 13:13.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    You’re right, I’m not sure if using practical knowledge of most likely breakages counts as cheating, but right nonetheless.
    To be fair I can visually make out the repair🤪

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I think i`ve got a problem developing.
    I can`t stop looking at/thinking about 1290 Super Dukes.
    The pull is strong.
    173BHP of pull, apparently...
    Happens to us all...

I'm liking this little stunner..

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ACUCb...?feature=share

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I suspect the word "from" is doing quite a bit of heavy lifting in that pricing.

On my BMW, with centre stand, shaft drive, drum brake and single sided swing arm, wheel off and wheel on is a couple of minutes. On my Triumph with chain, rear disk, spacers etc it takes a relative age.
    My mate has just been quoted £298 for a pair of Pirelli Angels for his R1250R. Ride in ride out, includes £50 fitting charge.

late last yr i paid £350 for a set of road 5 tyres with fitting inc (120/190) - i prefer the road 5's over the S22's that came off and they last much longer , unless you do a lot of track days most people will be better off with sports tourer tyres these days (road 5/6 or mezeler roadtec 01 se )

Just booked my 125 in for its next service. Over the next three weeks, I'll be aiming to ride a smidge more than 800 miles. Dear Weather, perk up a bit, please....

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    late last yr i paid £350 for a set of road 5 tyres with fitting inc (120/190) - i prefer the road 5's over the S22's that came off and they last much longer , unless you do a lot of track days most people will be better off with sports tourer tyres these days (road 5/6 or mezeler roadtec 01 se )
    You can get Road5 supply only for around £280 in 120/190 just now.

Thought about Conti RA4 (but not at that premium over S22) but I reckon I am doing about 500m/yr on the R-1. They'll be off the bike before they have done 3,000m.

Tried the S22s on my S1000XR (on it when bought) and like them. Roadtecs too slow a profile for R-1, I think. Happy with the Road5 for the S1000XR for day runs and 3,500m holidays.

Finally got to have a run out to Helmsley and back, the wind and rain held off enough to justify a bag of chips…
    Bring on the summer…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think someone has horked up on yer chips there !

Used to stop at Helmesley enroute to Hull ferry- and have a snackette of a pie. They were pretty decent. Parking was dire, with no free bike parking from memory?

Nice place, has to be said.

Haha, them's scraps mate (essential to a bag of chips), aye it is a nice place and they still charge for parking (if you pay)...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post

Finally got to have a run out to Helmsley and back, the wind and rain held off enough to justify a bag of chips…
    Bring on the summer…

Was in Browns on Saturday, I live just six miles from Helmsley.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Was in Browns on Saturday, I live just six miles from Helmsley.

You're a lucky man, can imagine it's a nice place to stay around that area.
    If my missus wasn't so tied to her family I'd be up that way like a shot...

Got the CB360 stripped down to the frame and have started to refresh some of the painted bits, not a back to bare metal and respray or powder coat job but a good freshen up.

Nearly time to get busy refurbishing, replacing and fitting bits back on the frame. I’m really enjoying myself.

You're a lucky man, can imagine it's a nice place to stay around that area.
    If my missus wasn't so tied to her family I'd be up that way like a shot...
    I think so, lived in the area around Helmsley all my life and have no intention of leaving! I had twenty five years of biking, and Helmsley was usually the place my mate and I met prior to heading up the dales. Once I gave up sports bikes I went back to single cylinder trail bikes and spent my time exploring the tiny roads of the moors and the wolds, spoilt for choice around here!

Just met an 18 year old lad, he was carrying a helmet and looking well rained upon. So I had to enquire. He too has a CB125R. Private sale, he paid £900 back in September. Since then, he's done 10,000 miles. He was called Harley, so I taught him the term Nominative Determination.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Just met an 18 year old lad, he was carrying a helmet and looking well rained upon. So I had to enquire. He too has a CB125R. Private sale, he paid £900 back in September. Since then, he's done 10,000 miles. He was called Harley, so I taught him the term Nominative Determination.
    10,000 miles in his first 6 months?????

Sure he isn't a deliveroo rider?!

He must have been missing something in his life - to hit that figure in his first year. I suspect he is a biker for life!

10k miles on a cb125r over winter

Something isn’t adding up or the guy is mental

He was a very slight, definitely medium height at best, unassuming guy from Scarborough, naturally polite in manner. Long hair, bum fluff 'tach. He will have ridden over in some properly filthy weather.

Do 25 miles a day Mon-Fri, 100 a day Sat/Sun, and in 30 weeks your near enough there. Easier to ignore the weather when you're a teenager. Anyway, I found it an inspiring encounter, really nice guy.

Do 25 miles a day Mon-Fri, 100 a day Sat/Sun, and in 30 weeks your near enough there. Easier to ignore the weather when you're a teenager. Anyway, I found it an inspiring encounter, really nice guy.
    Don't get me wrong - he's obviously taken to it and enjoying it (for the most part).

Master
    We have one at work in the loading bay who rides his 125 30 miles each way 5 days a week as it’s the only way he can get into work from where he lives. I’ve always thought he was to be admired for feeling out grip on a snowy night in January but he’s never missed a day since he started.

I did big miles on my Honda NS125f when I was an 18 year old student. Once rode from Southampton to Cardiff with my now wife on the back in a snowstorm. From memory I did about 25k miles that year through all weathers, and the kit I had was terrible . Fair play to that kid, and glad to hear the next generation are getting out there, I am a lot softer these days!

Master
    My first legal bike 50cc Puch MS50D, bought at 16 , 7000 miles in the first year then swapped just before 17 th birthday for a “proper bike”. Laughable thing is the Puch was a real pedal and pop so max speed 35/40 tops. Also I was still at school five days a week so that mileage was weekends and evenings.

I must have had equal doses of Independence/ Determination and most importantly patience:) ;)

I did 16 to 18k a year for years in all weathers, generally on sports bikes in my 30's.

Glad I don't have to do that anymore.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Having a biking dilemma.
    Buy a new 2024 Triumph Thruxton for £15k or buy a 2023 Triumph Thruxton RS for £12k?
    Love the British Racing Green buy can I justify the £3k for it, urghhhh...

Master

Having a biking dilemma.
    Buy a new 2024 Triumph Thruxton for £15k or buy a 2023 Triumph Thruxton RS for £12k?
    Go big or go home. :)

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Go big or go home. :)
    What he said

Having a biking dilemma.
    I'd not be buying new with £3k difference, with the added bonus of the RS features

Save the money and ride with a smug expression on your face.

Tank respray will only cost £400 max in any design you want.

OR - Just buy them both!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    My first legal bike 50cc Puch MS50D, bought at 16 , 7000 miles in the first year then swapped just before 17 th birthday for a “proper bike”. Laughable thing is the Puch was a real pedal and pop so max speed 35/40 tops. Also I was still at school five days a week so that mileage was weekends and evenings.

I must have had equal doses of Independence/ Determination and most importantly patience:) ;)
    My first bike (circa 1978) was a CG125, and I rode it from Norwich to Golders Green and back every weekend. In the winter I knew I’d come off at some point as it was often black ice most of the way down. Nasty, and I’d not do it now!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    My first bike (circa 1978) was a CG125....
    And 45 years later, I did my CBT on a CG125

When we got dropped off that the training ground and I saw my little red Honda in front of me, my bike for the day, ahhh, so, so happy, so thrilled

Having a biking dilemma.
    Of the two I'd have the '23 RS and spend the difference on a custom tank and tail paint job.
    What else do you currently have? Will this be as well as or instead of?

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Of the two I'd have the '23 RS and spend the difference on a custom tank and tail paint job.
    What else do you currently have? Will this be as well as or instead of?
    I have a BMW R1250GS, that does everything well but the whole idea of getting my bike licence was for a good run out to somewhere nice then ride back, nothing too fast or sporty and I've always had a Thruxton itch since I first laid my eyes on them.

So the GS for proper long runs and a Thruxton for fun.
    Last edited by Martylaa; 10th April 2024 at 20:42.

I fell for some Met Office porkies so am in a rainy cloudy Hawes. Usual cafe is shut for the day, so have found a tiny place called the Folly. Glad to have noted the advice 100 pages back about always carrying some cash.

Lots of Royal Enfields in Hawes today, always a happy sight.

Today learnt the Malham Langcliffe road, even more fun than thr drop down from Pen Y Ghent into Stainforth.

Found the clouds had lifted a bit while I was having lunch so went north over Buttertubs, north to Keld and then north again to Tan Hill Inn, where I turned east, eventually coming down Arkangarthdale ro Reeth. Turned out to be a properly long ride, for me, 180 miles.

Master
    Found the clouds had lifted a bit while I was having lunch so went north over Buttertubs, north to Keld and then north again to Tan Hill Inn, where I turned east, eventually coming down Arkangarthdale ro Reeth. Turned out to be a properly long ride, for me, 180 miles.
    I think other than Downer on here , you must be packing away more miles than any of us other bikers over the winter. Well done, you will certainly be ready for your full test( Part 2 ?) soon. Then decisions decisions ;)

I think other than Downer on here , you must be packing away more miles than any of us other bikers over the winter. Well done, you will certainly be ready for your full test( Part 2 ?) soon. Then decisions decisions ;)
    Leaving my Direct Access until after my trip in May. Once I've a full license, I would be astonished if I buy anything other than a CB500F in Unnecessary Yellow:

Of course, I'll be letting my trip and the DA course have a big influence on my thinking. But right now that's what I want - what I've got atm, plus the abilities to get up hills and overtake hatchbacks doing 55mph on the A19.

Very pleased to find a photo of one looking at dusty as mine would look I worked out that my bike gets cleaned once every 333 miles. Ahem.

I fell for some Met Office porkies so am in a rainy cloudy Hawes. Usual cafe is shut for the day, so have found a tiny place called the Folly. Glad to have noted the advice 100 pages back about always carrying some cash.

Lots of Royal Enfields in Hawes today, always a happy sight.

Today learnt the Malham Langcliffe road, even more fun than thr drop down from Pen Y Ghent into Stainforth.
    Don’t remind me!

Having a biking dilemma.

I just picked up this beauty last Friday, absolutely love it... Would love the final edition Thrux

How you finding it?
    I looked at the Thruxton R as I’ve seen some nice ones for around £7-£8k.

But then I’m swayed by this for less than £12k or going for the FE for £15k.

Don’t remind me!
    A heart-rending tale!

How you finding it?

Only had it 7 days but so far ive been hugely impressed. Build Q is amazing, it goes plenty quick enough to satisfy most people and they look absolutely stunning !

COTA basking in the afternoon sun!

How you finding it?

It really is a case of diminishing marginal returns; one the one hand, how much more fun will you have on the £12k bike compared to the £8k bike or the £15k bike compared to the £12k?

On the other hand, if you buy either the £8k or £12k bike, will you always regret not getting the FE?

I keep looking at the Z900RS, Speed twin 1200 and Thruxton R but can’t see me having any more fun than I do on my XJR1300 which is probably only worth about £3.5k

I think other than Downer on here , you must be packing away more miles than any of us other bikers over the winter.
    Woke this morning to the news that my octogenarian mum has put herself in hospital with a broken something, so I guess my mileage is going to take a step up as I swap my enthusiastic beginner's mindset for a proper rain and shine attitude (temporarily)

I met a few people at the High Beech tea hut earlier, I was surprised how many bikes were out on a Friday
    Last edited by adrianw; 12th April 2024 at 14:36.

By a strange quirk, I happened to pass the Superbike Factory in Milton Keynes with about an hour slack in my schedule.

So I thought it would rude not to pop in.

A huge number of bikes, all nicely presented.

All the bikes have a "don't touch, ask a member of staff to help you" notice and, as there was a bike I wanted to sit on (R9T with Unit Garage Comfort handlebar conversion), I finally approached the staff and they were more than happy to oblige.

I explained that I only wanted to try the handlebar position and the sales chap was totally chilled, pulling the bike out for me to sit on.

We talked about the differences between the R9Ts they had in stock then, having spotted my Tudor BB 925, he asked me about my watch. Turned out that the chap had only been at the bike shop for 3 weeks and was doing it as a semi-retirement thing, but prior to that had worked at Bucherer for 15 years and was a massive watch geek with a decent collection.

So we spent more time talking watches than bikes.

Oh, and the Comfort bars felt comfortable :-)

Leaving my Direct Access until after my trip in May. Once I've a full license, I would be astonished if I buy anything other than a CB500F in Unnecessary Yellow:

Of course, I'll be letting my trip and the DA course have a big influence on my thinking. But right now that's what I want - what I've got atm, plus the abilities to get up hills and overtake hatchbacks doing 55mph on the A19.

Very pleased to find a photo of one looking at dusty as mine would look I worked out that my bike gets cleaned once every 333 miles. Ahem.
    You may find this interesting!

You may find this interesting!
    It was one of his videos that helped me first come to the conclusion that the 500F was what I wanted :)

I've watched several of these videos on the new NX500, just as I did with the previous 500X. I haven't physically seen the new version, but I have inspected and sat on the 500X - I don't like how much I feel the bike in front of me, rather than under - on my 125R I like how the I am pretty much the bow of this ship ploughing through the ocean of existence, and I don't want my hands higher, or any kind of screen getting in the way. I do love the sound of the engine in all these Honda 500s - Schaaf calls it a "gargle"

https://youtu.be/6ZQMsFLkeCY?si=xwVRfVPsrd_Mur-1&t=132

Often in this big-bike-focused environment, I see people being dismissive of the performance of the 500s, but when I watch Schaaf on any of them (or the 300R for that matter) I know that the limiting factor is not going to be the bike, but me. Not that I ever want to ride like that, but if I did, I would have thought that becoming a better, more technically adept rider would be the way forward, not just adding extra power to mediocre abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    By a strange quirk, I happened to pass the Superbike Factory in Milton Keynes with about an hour slack in my schedule.

So I thought it would rude not to pop in.
    We`re visiting Bletchley Park soon and i`m going to `find` an hour in our schedule to have a peruse, too.

Did you see any 1290 Super Dukes.....?