closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 351 of 359 FirstFirst ... 251301341349350351352353 ... LastLast
Results 17,501 to 17,550 of 17913

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Not wishing to diminish your limited foot-range - but it sounds like an issue that has been successfully catered for on multiple occasions?

What about a 'heel-toe' rocker-type change (a la highway pegs on a cruiser) -a simple mechanical solution.

But there will be plenty of companies who offer a quickshift-type solution

What about Honda's DCT system. Pal of mine raved about it - and hardly used his foot.
    A heel/toe shifter would be the perfect answer should the foot prove to be a less temporary issue than hoped... this is the only one I could find, though, and it's for a RE Classic 350. Not sure if it would need to be/could be fettled to fit a T120, but given the cost it would be worth trying.

I've already posted that the NC750X DCT would be the final fallback in the very worst case scenario (so a good shout). It can be ridden on full auto or manual with left hand paddles for up and down shifting. It's also a bloody good bike, if not quite what I'd choose unless forced to.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Enfield do rocker gear levers , my pal has fitted one to his Classic 350. Theres a thread on “ heel toe shifting” on the Triumphrat forum, I guess it depends what castings and linkages are around Tony’s T120 existing lever.

Lots of solutions though :)
    See my post above, Steve, and thanks for highlighting the RE solution.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    See my post above, Steve, and thanks for highlighting the RE solution.
    Great minds and all that ;)

Last time I was at Strathearn Tyres (many years ago) - the owner was sporting a prosthetic lower left leg - courtesy of a drunk-driving local at the Southern 100 T-boning him.

Not sure what he had done to the bike (Tuono) but he was still riding, just not sportsbikes.

If a rocker-type shift fits - it is eminantly do-able for a small fabrication company. (get two made)

All of these solutions will not be needed anyway as Tony will get the physio to make the foot do as it is told.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    All of these solutions will not be needed anyway as Tony will get the physio to make the foot do as it is told.
    Yes, i’m certainly hoping so, Marc. In the meantime the bike will remain in storage for a couple of months anyway whilst I build myself back up a bit (so with luck a concurrent remedy).

Absolutely. Getting back in shape with going back to biking is a worthy carrot.

I've already posted that the NC750X DCT would be the final fallback in the very worst case scenario (so a good shout). It can be ridden on full auto or manual with left hand paddles for up and down shifting. It's also a bloody good bike, if not quite what I'd choose unless forced to.
    My fingers and ankles are in poor condition. So far, they seem to be coping with what I'm asking of them, going out all day on consecutive days. But I've got the NC DCT mentally lined up if not.

I've also been considering the non-DCT version. I believe that I've decided that I would like something with pretty much the same dimensions and shape as what I've got, and the extra length of the wheelbase and the higher bars of the NC X would take me away from that. Also, I find that I'm not keen on the stern grumble of twin cylinder engines that big. But if my joints ever insist on the DCT these would be a small things to learn to live with. (and having auto for traffic jams would be very nice!)

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    My fingers and ankles are in poor condition. So far, they seem to be coping with what I'm asking of them, going out all day on consecutive days. But I've got the NC DCT mentally lined up if not.

I've also been considering the non-DCT version. I believe that I've decided that I would like something with pretty much the same dimensions and shape as what I've got, and the extra length of the wheelbase and the higher bars of the NC X would take me away from that. Also, I find that I'm not keen on the stern grumble of twin cylinder engines that big. But if my joints ever insist on the DCT these would be a small things to learn to live with. (and having auto for traffic jams would be very nice!)
    I have to say, I don’t know another bike with such universally positive reviews as the NC. We could both do a lot worse, I’m sure, if push comes to shove. A lovely mid-sized adv/tourer that does absolutely anything asked of it.

With a bigger engine - you can do much less gear changes in the course of a run anyway , and so many have quick-shifters now. On my S1000XR - I don't do many manual downshifts at all, such is the ease of leaving the bike to sort it out neater and faster than I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Sounds like fun :) I’m toying with getting rid of my Triumph Scrambler 1200 for a ZZR1400… I like a change every couple of years.
    That's a lovely bike. I still miss mine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    That's a lovely bike. I still miss mine.
    Cheers :) I’m going to sell it soon if anybody is interested.
    With regards to Honda DCT I had a VFR1200 DCT which was really handy and the DCT was pretty smooth . I’d thoroughly recommend it. Went like sh*t off a shovel too!! Also had a TL which as much as I loved was like a shopping trolley with wheels and I would never recommend to anybody but any excuse to post a pic of it and I’m there.

With regards to Honda DCT I had a VFR1200 DCT which was really handy and the DCT was pretty smooth . I’d thoroughly recommend it. Went like sh*t off a shovel too!! Also had a TL which as much as I loved was like a shopping trolley with wheels and I would never recommend to anybody but any excuse to post a pic of it and I’m there.

That’s progress for you!

I remember one of the magazines pitting a VFR1200 against Superbikes from various years around a track, the idea being to see how far back they had to go before the VFR was quicker. I think it was around 2012 when the VFR was first released and they only had to go back about five or six years, making it quicker than the zx10r, gsxr1000, fireblade, r1, etc. of that era.

VFRs never seem to age. Even ones from 20 years ago look good.

With regards to Honda DCT I had a VFR1200 DCT which was really handy and the DCT was pretty smooth . I’d thoroughly recommend it. Went like sh*t off a shovel too!! .
    Good to know, thank you.

Master

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    VFRs never seem to age. Even ones from 20 years ago look good.
    The VFR1200 was released in 2010 I think and received loads of stick about its looks as current VFR owners waiting for years for its promised release and many moaned like hell. I thought it looked sleek as it had no fasteners or screws showing on any of the panels. I recall that it was only a touch quicker than the Black Bird which also disappointed many Honda enthusiasts.. It was plenty quick for me:) I’m very tempted to try a ZZR1400 though - especially in green .
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 10th March 2024 at 15:25.

Like this one?

Long gone I’m afraid.

Master

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Like this one?

Long gone I’m afraid.
    Yeah, they are cool :)and not too expensive either. I’ve had several Kawasakis , a ZXR750 , ZX7R ninja , a 750 Zephyr.

Master
    Or this one, belonging to a chap down the road. Fitted a turbo because for some reason he wants to do a genuine 200 mph. 😱

The VFR1200 was released in 2010 I think and received loads of stick about its looks as current VFR owners waiting for years for its promised release and many moaned like hell. I thought it looked sleek as it had no fasteners or screws showing on any of the panels. I recall that it was only a touch quicker than the Black Bird which also disappointed many Honda enthusiasts.. It was plenty quick for me:) I’m very tempted to try a ZZR1400 though - especially in green .
    Always looked a bit slab-sided to me and would benefit from some subtle graphics. But a pal of mine bought one - and I was surprised to see it was smaller than I thought. His was the one with DCT and larger tank and he really rated it (he is ex-plod instructer/pursuit rider). I put it down as a possible "one bike to do everything" should that day arrive for me.

Craftsman
    Much preferred the newer version of the ZZR1400

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post

Mmm nice . Yeap , mine will be a 2016 onwards I think:)

The performance edition, unless I'm mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    The performance edition, unless I'm mistaken
    Because everyone knows that the standard model is just too slow!

Master

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Because everyone knows that the standard model is just too slow!
    Ha, indeed :)from 2016 they were 10hp down from the previous year due to emission regs , as if that’s going to make a difference !!
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 11th March 2024 at 10:32.

Ha, indeed :)from 2016 they were 10hp down from the previous year due to emission regs , as if that’s going to make a difference !!
    That's 4 Honda SS50's!

Lunch in Hawes again, much nicer on a Monday. Came Pateley Bridge, Greenhow, Grassington, up Wharfedale and over the hill past Oughtenshaw. Buttertubs, Swaledsle and the moor road from Reeth to Leyburn after lunch

For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know the area.

That's 73 miles of good looking hills 🥰

Lunch in Hawes again, much nicer on a Monday. Came Pateley Bridge, Greenhow, Grassington, up Wharfedale and over the hill past Oughtenshaw. Buttertubs, Swaledsle and the moor road from Reeth to Leyburn after lunch
    You must be pleasantly 'done in' by the time you get back home!

Yeah, a lovely sense of a good hard shift completed 🙂

Master
    Blog Entries
    Big old Kawasaki.

Anyone riding them in the South of England?

Z1,Z650,GPZs,H1s etc. that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Big old Kawasaki.

Anyone riding them in the South of England?

Z1,Z650,GPZs,H1s etc. that sort of thing.
    I do intend getting one of the GPz750s back on the road this year.

For various reasons, today was the first time this year that I've ridden a bike to work.

So I got the RnineT out and discovered, much to my annoyance that my work rucksack into which my MacBook is squeezed wouldn't fit in my lovely new SW Motech Urban ABS panniers. Not even close.

So I swore, removed them, took them back into the garage and got out the Legend Gear ones and clipped them on instead.

Oh, how @learningtofly is going to laugh himself stupid when he finds out, I thought to myself, annoyed.

But hang on! It won't fit in there either!

Even more annoyed I realised that I'd have to leave the panniers empty and use the rucksack as, you know, a rucksack.

So I made my way through the soggy roads knowing that now @Dave+63 would now be laughing instead.

But I realised about half way to work that, whilst I'd realised that using the rucksack as a rucksack was the right answer, I'd not actually put it on. It was back in my garage where I'd left it while I was messing about with panniers.

Twat!

For various reasons, today was the first time this year that I've ridden a bike to work.

So I got the RnineT out and discovered, much to my annoyance that my work rucksack into which my MacBook is squeezed wouldn't fit in my lovely new SW Motech Urban ABS panniers. Not even close.

So I swore, removed them, took them back into the garage and got out the Legend Gear ones and clipped them on instead.

Oh, how @learningtofly is going to laugh himself stupid when he finds out, I thought to myself, annoyed.

Even more annoyed I realised that I'd have to leave the panniers empty and use the rucksack as, you know, a rucksack.

So I made my way through the soggy roads knowing that now @Dave+63 would now be laughing instead.

But I realised about half way to work that, whilst I'd realised that using the rucksack as a rucksack was the right answer, I'd not actually put it on. It was back in my garage where I'd left it while I was messing about with panniers.

Twat!
    What - won’t even fit in the 13.5ltr bag? That makes no sense - I’m going to have to check mine now.

Too green!

I prefer them blacked-out and debadged for the menacing, stealth look....

Twat!
    Of course, as we are evil bastards, now we are all laughing. Including those who did the same thing at least once!

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Too green!

Has that one been fitted with a plough?

Stunts?

What - won’t even fit in the 13.5ltr bag? That makes no sense - I’m going to have to check mine now.
    I've had another go and, if I scrunch my work rucksack, a https://www.over-board.co.uk/collect...ck-20ltr-black, I can just do up the velcro at the top but not fold it down

I've had another go and, if I scrunch my work rucksack, a https://www.over-board.co.uk/collect...ck-20ltr-black, I can just do up the velcro at the top but not fold it down
    Damn.

Damn.
    Damn indeed!

I reckon if I get one of these SLC adapter plates

and a tube of No More Nails I could attach a Givi on there

Thanks for making me laugh Gyp, I have done similar faffing around with luggage

Nah, it`s for carrying my MacBook.

Nah, it`s for carrying my MacBook.
    :-)

Master
    Too green!

I’ve gotta say the dark grey ones look pretty cool but if it’s a Kwacka it’s gotta be green :)

Master
    I’ve gotta say the dark grey ones look pretty cool but if it’s a Kwacka it’s gotta be green :)
    Cant disagree, unfortunately sold two years ago. But on a positive note new owner has done 4X the annual mileage I used to do on it ;)

Master

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Cant disagree, unfortunately sold two years ago. But on a positive note new owner has done 4X the annual mileage I used to do on it ;)

Ooo yeah, classic KR1S. I loved them:)
    I had a 1989 ZXR750 H1 .

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 12th March 2024 at 09:52.

If anyone had a ZZR600 in the 90s that they wish to ramble on about nostalgically, that was the bike I went pillion on a fair bit back then. (Purple and pink, not green)

If anyone had a ZZR600 in the 90s that they wish to ramble on about nostalgically, that was the bike I went pillion on a fair bit back then. (Purple and pink, not green)
    I had a brand new blue one in 1990 when they were first released (actually August so got it on an H reg). Whilst the D model (1990-91) wasn’t as good as the E model (1992- 2004ish), it was a phenomenal bike for its day and actually a fair bit quicker than the ZXR750H (my mate bought one new in 1989).
    It was genuinely the first 150mph 600 and handled well too although it was designed for the road rather than track so the CBR600 was the better track bike and equally as good on the road (but not as fast).

It was a bit big physically if not weight wise and like it’s bigger brother the 1100, soon got repositioned into the sports/tourer role.

It’s only real weaknesses were the cush drive rubbers we’re a bit soft leading to clunky gear changes and a bit of throttle snatch (later rectified with harder rubber) and the suspension wasn’t really that good. New springs with heavier oil on the front and a decent rear shock remedied that though, albeit at a cost.

Master
    My best mate is currently fitting a ZXR900 engine into this 750 that he’s owned from new. He’s fuel injecting it too.