closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 207 of 354 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257307 ... LastLast
Results 10,301 to 10,350 of 17675

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Haha - yes, I have a couple of inches on you, from memory. I'm such a lank!

I did think about the Street Scrambler, but I've got myself used to having a fair bit more power on tap so if anything I'd probably want to look at the Speed Twin instead. That's certainly an option but, if I'm going to chop in my beautiful TTR then I'd rather it was to achieve a very tangible gain in touring ability. Otherwise, I could just do a handlebar conversion on mine and I'd have a far better spec'd bike than either the Street Scrambler or the Speed Twin and probably a similar amount of riding comfort.

As in...

Oh dear Tony, it’s sounding like you have the adventure bike bug badly.

I guess in an ideal world we’d all have more than one bike (like many of our fortunate brethren in here) but if like us you generally have one do-it-all bike it’s always going to be a compromise.

If only Triumph make the Scrambler 1200 in a sensible size for us short folk.

The handlebar convention is probably the sensible choice for longer days etc. But then when has sensible ever been the right choice. Good luck with your thought options.

Must get a ride out again soon, now that the weather is FAB!’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You'll only ever notice the weight of wheeling it around turned off. They might not have a lowered new one but they should have a lowered used one to give you an idea.

FWIW I have a 30 inch leg and with the standard seat on the low setting was barely OK, but not confidence inspiring. I was going to get the low seat but the guy said "you're a big lad. Give it 2 weeks and that cushion will give in a bit and you'll be fine". He was right :(This was daytime mode which was fine most of the time. Regular "on" was fantastic and high/full beam could turn an entire postcode into daylight.
    Is this your GS, needs more lights..

I have a 30in inside leg and ride a standard GS with no bother. It took me a while to gain the confidence to ride it. The biggest problem if you are short is man handling the bike around the garage, as you are reaching up and across for the bars.

There was a thread on UKGSer about seat heights and I recall a photo of a user called Matron riding an R1100GS. She was about 5ft tall bombing along on a 240kg bike without any effort at all.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I have a 30in inside leg and ride a standard GS with no bother. It took me a while to gain the confidence to ride it. The biggest problem if you are short is man handling the bike around the garage, as you are reaching up and across for the bars.

There was a thread on UKGSer about seat heights and I recall a photo of a user called Matron riding an R1100GS. She was about 5ft tall bombing along on a 240kg bike without any effort at all.
    Yes, there are lots of anecdotes like that; they're the exception to the rule though, John, and I really don't want to be posting stories about misjudging a negative camber and not being able to pick my bike up again! In fact, I recall Steve Burns being in precisely that spot in a car park, and needing another bloke's help before he could get on the bike again

I think I'm sold on the Triumph over the GS in terms of size/weight/ergonomics (and I'd really prefer to be on a Triumph as opposed to a BMW, if I'm honest), so I guess it's now a question of whether the standard bike with a low seat will be a decent fit. If not, the lowered bike gives me another 2-4cm of leeway so one or other will definitely be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Oh dear Tony, it’s sounding like you have the adventure bike bug badly.

I guess in an ideal world we’d all have more than one bike (like many of our fortunate brethren in here) but if like us you generally have one do-it-all bike it’s always going to be a compromise.

If only Triumph make the Scrambler 1200 in a sensible size for us short folk.

The handlebar convention is probably the sensible choice for longer days etc. But then when has sensible ever been the right choice. Good luck with your thought options.

Must get a ride out again soon, now that the weather is FAB!’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, we must definitely do that, Mark. And yes, if only the 1200 wasn't designed for giants!

And yes, if only the 1200 wasn't designed for giants!
    I'm going to have to try an XC at some point, but the lack of luggage options is a pain for touring

Had a lovely 3 hours out on the Street Scrambler this morning.

Hot but really thoroughly enjoyable.

Only bad points were nearly head-butting a kestrel, and nearly having a head-on with a twat on a Harley that was overtaking a line of cars against a solid white line.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I'm going to have to try an XC at some point, but the lack of luggage options is a pain for touring
    Good luck with that

Master
    I know where there's one going cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I know where there's one going cheap...
    On here? Have I not been paying attention?

Master
    On here? Have I not been paying attention?
    I've agreed to trade my XC for a Multistrada 950S. I got (what I think is) a very good price but I'd be happy to sell it privately. It's going at the end of this week though...as the Ducati is imminent.

Craftsman
    Theoretically, Marc, but anything I've seen requires lifting the bike onto a paddock-type stand. I really haven't found anything that both minimises risk and makes life easier; I'd also not be able to use the Ridehide if the bike was raised whilst parked up.
    This might meet your requirements:

https://dynamoto.pl/en_GB/index

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I've agreed to trade my XC for a Multistrada 950S. I got (what I think is) a very good price but I'd be happy to sell it privately. It's going at the end of this week though...as the Ducati is imminent.
    Ah yes, of course.

Chances are I'll pass, but do you fancy PMing me the details just in case?

Master
    Ah yes, of course.

Chances are I'll pass, but do you fancy PMing me the details just in case?
    No problem. PM incoming.

Got out for a nice little ride today.
    Only 350 miles to go till it's ran in and I can get the first service sorted.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Great looking bike. Did you go green laneing?

Hooned 220mls around N Wales finest today.
    T'was absolutley scorchio!....all hail decently vented summer gear!
    I've owned my summer jacket for over 4 years... only worn it a dozen or so times....but today was one of those days it really made sense....

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Great looking bike. Did you go green laneing?
    Thanks.
    No green laning, may do at some point though.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Certainly reduce your tyre pressures. I recommend finding the tyre support guy as asking him for a hot pressure then check your tyres straight away when you come in every session until they have stabilised at the target hot pressure.

Grab some instruction. Try to get the 3rd session once you’ve got a bit dialled in and perhaps session 5 after lunch. Ask early in the day.

Make sure you have proper gloves and leathers that zip together.

Drink lots.

Take your own food, unless you’re really into greasy burgers for lunch. The catering at brands is not the greatest.

Keep an eye on your fuel level. You use a lot on track and if you run very low you could get fuel starvation.

Look as far ahead as you can.

Don’t try to be the last of the late brakers. Rushing into the corners will probably push you wide on the exit, which means you can’t open the throttle fully.

Relax - stay loose on the bike.

Don't be tempted to clock your speed at the end of the straights.

Enjoy.
    I am at Brands today.

It appears to have been designed by a sadist lol. Paddock hill….ffs.

Thank you, and everyone, for the great advice. Survived session 1 with only a small amount of leathers soiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    I am at Brands today.

Thank you, and everyone, for the great advice. Survived session 1 with only a small amount of leathers soiling.
    Watch Graham Hill bend, that one is trickier than it looks and plenty of people bin it there. Also a lot of track day organisers have instructors on hand, often free, and they’re worth talking to. Have fun and keep it shiny side up.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Watch Graham Hill bend, that one is trickier than it looks and plenty of people bin it there. Also a lot of track day organisers have instructors on hand, often free, and they’re worth talking to. Have fun and keep it shiny side up.
    One of my garage buddies ended up half way up the grass bank on that bend! Stayed upright though.

Well, test ride booked for 9.30 on Saturday - 900 GT Pro with the low seat fitted, although I'm fairly convinced that I'll end up going for the lowered version instead. They're big bastards compared to what I'm used to.

You would get used to it Tony, I thought a GS would be too tall but quickly acclimatised after riding smaller bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    You would get used to it Tony, I thought a GS would be too tall but quickly acclimatised after riding smaller bikes.
    Hope so, Matt. Still a fair bit smaller than the GS, so I definitely have a fighting chance.

Master
    Well, test ride booked for 9.30 on Saturday - 900 GT Pro with the low seat fitted, although I'm fairly convinced that I'll end up going for the lowered version instead. They're big bastards compared to what I'm used to.
    Tony , lowered version of the Triumph , if its the same as the BMW F800/700/650 please please look at the laden and un laden weights.

When I went from a BM F650 to a lowered BM F700GS the all up weight limit dropped by about 80kgs , so by bye two up touring with full luggage on my lowered bike. All luggage sold and any serious touring is no longer an option on this bike.

Triumph may do it differently but BM use a smaller rear spring so its weight limited.

Steve.

I’m a 32 inside leg, so proportionally probably similar Tony. I was really unsure about the Gs after a short test ride, but love it now and don’t worry about the height. I’m just careful not to park it nose in on a downhill camber

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony , lowered version of the Triumph , if its the same as the BMW F800/700/650 please please look at the laden and un laden weights.

When I went from a BM F650 to a lowered BM F700GS the all up weight limit dropped by about 80kgs , so by bye two up touring with full luggage on my lowered bike. All luggage sold and any serious touring is no longer an option on this bike.

Triumph may do it differently but BM use a smaller rear spring so its weight limited.

Steve.
    That info isn't on the specs, Steve, but travel on the rear shock is reduced from 170 to 151mm. That said, there's more chance of pigs flying than Bea getting on the back!

I’m a 32 inside leg, so proportionally probably similar Tony. I was really unsure about the Gs after a short test ride, but love it now and don’t worry about the height. I’m just careful not to park it nose in on a downhill camber
    Exactly this and I have a 30 inch inside leg. You just get used to it. Pressed the wrong button a few times and put the suspension in max which was scary. I tried to keep it in low suspension mode unless laden.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post

That was the nice feature of the Harley adventure bike - the lowering as you come to a halt is a lowering of the subframe, not the suspension.

That way the ground clearance, suspension and load remain unchanged.

At least that's what the man in the shop told me

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Exactly this and I have a 30 inch inside leg. You just get used to it. Pressed the wrong button a few times and put the suspension in max which was scary. I tried to keep it in low suspension mode unless laden.
    Thanks both. Hopefully all will fall into place, and I do have the bike for two hours so long enough to get a feel for it.

Master
    It is, but it's also about practicability for me. I park on the patio at the back of the house, and it takes about a six point turn to get the bike into a position whereby I can get it into the Ridehide. (Yes, I could get off it and push, but it would still be a backwards and forwards exercise multiple times, with the heightened risk of dropping that entails). It's easier not being on tippy toes, particularly when it's wet.

(I really do need to sort out that mini-garage at the end of the garden!)
    2 Round Bar trays with a bit of oil in between them act as a brilliant turntable for spinning bikes round.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    2 Round Bar trays with a bit of oil in between them act as a brilliant turntable for spinning bikes round.

Hah! Genius!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post

I've been contemplating getting some kind of turntable affair to turn the bike around in the garage. That appeals on so many fronts, simplicity, cheapness, ingenuity, compactness and more that I might have too try it!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I've been contemplating getting some kind of turntable affair to turn the bike around in the garage. That appeals on so many fronts, simplicity, cheapness, ingenuity, compactness and more that I might have too try it!
    A house down the road with an awkward drive entrance has a car sized one that seems to work well enough so a bike sized one shouldn't be a problem

It is, but it's also about practicability for me. I park on the patio at the back of the house, and it takes about a six point turn to get the bike into a position whereby I can get it into the Ridehide. (Yes, I could get off it and push, but it would still be a backwards and forwards exercise multiple times, with the heightened risk of dropping that entails). It's easier not being on tippy toes, particularly when it's wet.

(I really do need to sort out that mini-garage at the end of the garden!)
    Would something like this do the job??

https://cjautosheywood.co.uk/product...olly-mb0303sn/

By the looks of the wheels on it the patio would probably have to be flat as I can see them getting caught on the gaps if not.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post

By the looks of the wheels on it the patio would probably have to be flat as I can see them getting caught on the gaps if not.

Chris.

Possibly, Chris, but I think I'd rather just know that I've chosen a bike that I can handle without needing mechanical aides.

Master
    Out for a shakedown run on the big girl, after rebuilding the front end and getting a load of powder coating work done.

Flawless big powerhouse as usual!

That was the nice feature of the Harley adventure bike - the lowering as you come to a halt is a lowering of the subframe, not the suspension.

That way the ground clearance, suspension and load remain unchanged.

At least that's what the man in the shop told me
    Have you had a test ride on one?

Possibly, Chris, but I think I'd rather just know that I've chosen a bike that I can handle without needing mechanical aides.
    Both are not mutually exclusive.

It is clear you want another Triumph. I would have tested them last personally, in that case. Why would you refuse yourself the opportunity to see how other manufacturers have interpreted the concept?
    BMW is the new reference so trying one would set a benchmark. The Africa Twin gets great reviews, and Honda has a rather enviable reputation and pedigree. Ducati doesn't enjoy the latter in terms of "adventure" off-road but would you really take your bike there? Otherwise, a cracking looking motor, too. Then HD, just because you can, and then, finally, the Triumph you want, to confirm your choice.
    It would also help you to put in perspective the height issue.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    Out for a shakedown run on the big girl, after rebuilding the front end and getting a load of powder coating work done.

Flawless big powerhouse as usual!
    Enough torque to turn the world! A friend of mine had one ( now has a H2). I watched to roll on speed on the IOM mountain circuit from 80 to 180 mph, I was like watching a Playstation game!

Enjoy

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I made a turn table as otherwise I have a 13 point turn to 180 the tiger. Bought a 400kg lazy Susan bearing and bolted some marine ply to it. Only works if you have a centre stand. Bearing was about €13 10 years ago

You can definitely purchase bike specific turntables for a garage

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyTurn-Mo.../dp/B07KRBVGG8

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post

Chris.

I had one of those years ago when I had a Suzuki bandit. Great if your floor is as flat as a granite worktop but can be a challenge otherwise. In the end I gave it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

It is clear you want another Triumph. I would have tested them last personally, in that case. Why would you refuse yourself the opportunity to see how other manufacturers have interpreted the concept?
    BMW is the new reference so trying one would set a benchmark. The Africa Twin gets great reviews, and Honda has a rather enviable reputation and pedigree. Ducati doesn't enjoy the latter in terms of "adventure" off-road but would you really take your bike there? Otherwise, a cracking looking motor, too. Then HD, just because you can, and then, finally, the Triumph you want, to confirm your choice.
    Completely agree with the above.

I am 65kg and 176cm tall, and have to 5-point turn my GS in my driveway. No problem.

However, I really wanted a GS, so nothing was going to stop me. I got massively hung up about the GS being too big, then saw one I desperately wanted because of spec, condition and ultra-low miles for its age. Funny how all those concerns melt away in those circumstances. I sometimes go to Williams in MCR and one of the staff there is female and around my height and had a triple black GS last time I went to pick up a jacket, just to prove the point that height and build shouldn't really matter.

FWIW I also stopped at a RTA recently to help a chap who fell off his bike outside the local Ducati dealership. He was chopping in an S1000R for a new lowered V4 Multistrada. He was about 5'5" and had managed to drop his S1000R, most likely fracturing his hip in the process when he bounced off the kerb, given that one leg was approx 3" longer than the other afterwards. Life's too short really not to get exactly what you want, whatever that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    I am at Brands today.

How did the whole day go?

Got the bug?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

I'd agree with you, Marc, save that I already know that the Africa Twin is far too big; and the Triumph beats the GS in terms of size, weight and price (although not performance, admittedly). Don't forget, too, that there are plenty of bikers on here who just go from one BMW to another because they like the marque. Me having a fondness for Triumph is no different and - as I've indicated - there are actually some very tangible advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    How did the whole day go?

Got the bug?
    Loved it!

Punishing heat but it was sunny and dry…so overall pretty perfect.
    Was supposed to be a novice session but my group had quite a few obvious seasoned track day riders (with track bikes, vans full of tools, proper stands, tyre warmers etc) which initially was mildly intimidating but after I had found my feet was quite helpful actually.

It was great seeing what the old girl can do - quick and smooth- and didn’t miss ABS…some TC might have been nice on Clearways though lol. My garage buddies were on the Duke V4 supernaked and ZX-10 (the latter, crazy polish dude, ended up properly binning it in session 5 on the same corner he ran off on earlier so had to retire…)

I'd agree with you, Marc, save that I already know that the Africa Twin is far too big; and the Triumph beats the GS in terms of size, weight and price (although not performance, admittedly). Don't forget, too, that there are plenty of bikers on here who just go from one BMW to another because they like the marque. Me having a fondness for Triumph is no different and - as I've indicated - there are actually some very tangible advantages.
    I was not trying to change your mind at all, just to highlight the possibility of a few free rides discovering other bikes. A bit like walking into a multi brand AD and trying a few on before the ones you really want.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Speaking of a GS, just had a lovely couple of hours in the Peaks on mine. I'm very fortunate to have easy access to both the Peak District and North Wales from where I live, and the roads were surprisingly quiet this morning.

Master
    I discovered last night that being in the outside lane of dual carriageway, overtaking while simultaneously encountering an engine shut down is not a nice experience.
    Managed to coast and navigate safely to the hard shoulder thankfully.

Was on my Speedmaster 865. Managed to coax her back to life after a 30min rest, but she died again 5 minutes later.

Decided to head for home but not before another 3 cycles of it dying and needing 30mins between.

Put my OBD reader on it when I got home and seems to be an issue with the Cranshaft Position Sensor. Currently waiting a reply from my local Triumph parts dept about availability. I need to change the front sprocket anyway plus a couple of other jobs here and there, so think I’ll maybe buzz about on my Bonnie for now and sort the Speedmaster when the weather turns for the worse.