closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 1444

Thread: More bike related stuff

  1. #1301
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bucks. UK.
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    never posted on this thread as not a biker

    however I noticed there is a programme on TV tomorrow (Tuesday night) - think ITV4 about Triumph motorbikes.
    FYI ... All three episodes are available on ITV Online
    https://www.itv.com/hub/the-motorbik...pecials/2a5288

    [1] Triumph


    [2] Norton


    [3] Ducati

  2. #1302
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,042
    Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    FYI ... All three episodes are available on ITV Online
    https://www.itv.com/hub/the-motorbik...pecials/2a5288

    [1] Triumph


    [2] Norton


    [3] Ducati
    I have watched all three, the Norton edition on catch up last night. Whilst Henry Cole is not everyoneís cup of tea ( mine included) these three specials are well constructed and take you through each marque really well. The Triumph enthusiast from Kent with his first editions must be seriously minted.
    Easy viewing

    Steve

  3. #1303
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I have some damage to my right ear, which rattles painfully at very loud noises. I wear ear plugs when I know I'm going to be somewhere noisy (pit lane at a motor race, for example) but having a bike with a really loud exhaust suddenly overtake me with a bucketful of throttle is agony.
    Ah, glad it's not just me! My hearing is generally OK - left ear has better hearing than the right and has been since my 20's - but my left "clips" like a cheap speaker being driven too hard at high volumes. I suspect that 2 bits that are supposed to be stuck to each other are simply resting against each other which works at low volumes but less so at high volumes. NHS has determined that my hearing at low volumes is fine, and that seems to be the limit of their tests, though I'm not sure that there's anything they could do to fix the inner ear when earplugs help and don't cost the NHS anything..

    Which gets me to earplugs, which I carry with me constantly and use a lot. The key things I've learnt is that plugs must fit well and be comfortable. Sound obvious but isn't necessarily easy to achieve.

    I tried an expensive set of moulded plugs that were great as long as I held my jaw in exactly the same position as it was in when the plugs were made. Not good. Held on to them for a while but eventually gave in and consigned them to the bin.

    I bought a box of mixed foam plugs to try after that https://www.deltawaite.co.uk/product...plug-Selection

    Many people struggle with foam plugs as they don't put them in right; with a really good squeeze and quick insertion with a pulled back ear lobe they go right into the ear canal and expand in just the right place. For regular use, I've come to love the MaxLite plugs (34dB SNR) as they are ridiculously comfortable and for louder environments the slightly less comfortable but slightly quieter LaserLite (35dB SNR)

    Like others here, I've tried Flare audio and have both Isolate Pro Titanium and Isolate Pro Mini Titanium plugs. I think the advertising for these is somewhat over the top. They work OK with careful positioning in the ear, but I find them uncomfortable to use for any period of time. Great for popping in and out in the office but not on a ride on the bike. I do carry them in my pocket all the time, though I also have MaxLites in the same bag and if I'm doing anything that isn't going to require me to take them out to talk to people, I use the MaxLites.

    For motorcycle use, I'd seriously recommend getting a pick-n-mix selection, finding which suits you and learning to put them in correctly. They are quiet, comfortable and adapt to the shape of your ear as you move. And they're dirt cheap by comparison.

    https://www.deltawaite.co.uk/product...plug-Selection

  4. #1304
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    27,369
    I have to admit, I've had a little bit of tinnitus since I started riding again, and now and again it's more than a little bit (although I'm so conscious of it that I probably exaggerate it in my own mind). In any event, I've just started wearing some mid-priced foam plugs and the difference is massive. I'm certainly going to persist with them, although at the moment I'm not sure that anything other than the cheapish ones are necessary.

  5. #1305
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I have to admit, I've had a little bit of tinnitus since I started riding again, and now and again it's more than a little bit (although I'm so conscious of it that I probably exaggerate it in my own mind). In any event, I've just started wearing some mid-priced foam plugs and the difference is massive. I'm certainly going to persist with them, although at the moment I'm not sure that anything other than the cheapish ones are necessary.

    With a bit of shopping around, the various Howard Leight ones can be had for less than £25 for 200 pairs which to me are dirt cheap (the link I gave was good for a selection pack but others are cheaper once you've found the ones that suit). The big advantage for me over the plain yellow "ear" cylinder ones is that they expand more slowly so are easier to get into the ear canal before they expand to fit

  6. #1306
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    27,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    With a bit of shopping around, the various Howard Leight ones can be had for less than £25 for 200 pairs which to me are dirt cheap (the link I gave was good for a selection pack but others are cheaper once you've found the ones that suit). The big advantage for me over the plain yellow "ear" cylinder ones is that they expand more slowly so are easier to get into the ear canal before they expand to fit
    Thank you. I'll buy a bag and give them a proper go.

  7. #1307
    I buy a pack of foam ear plugs from boots. They are pretty good and quite comfortable

    I saw the new Ducati Scrambler yesterday in Tangerine Orange. Some useful updates so will go for a test once the weather improves

  8. #1308
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    914
    Ultimate ears for me. I know some folk say they have had a bad experience, but Iíve used them for 15 years with no problem. The earplugs, including the ones with speakers in, have worked very well, and as some have already said, itís good to be able to hear a bit of background noise and not feel shut of completely

  9. #1309
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    273
    I have used the Ultimate ears ones, they are brilliant, but as one chap said above, if I have them in for an hour or so, and I do trips to France, I suddenly find one side cracking a gap if I move my jaw, and from then they are really annoying as my ears are suddenly unbalanced.

    They have been back to base twice for adjustments, they got better but never perfect so eventually I gave up.

  10. #1310
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    West Midlands, UK
    Posts
    88
    There is a little corner in hell reserved for bikers who wear ear plugs to protect their own ears; and then fit a race can so they can live their Fogarty fantasy.

    If your bike ain't loud enough on standard pipes, then ride/rev it harder.

    "But, but but ........Loud pipes save lives!"

    Yeah, cos no one ever had a collision with an emergency vehicle on " Blues and two's" did they?

  11. #1311
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    There is a little corner in hell reserved for bikers who wear ear plugs to protect their own ears; and then fit a race can so they can live their Fogarty fantasy.
    Scroll up. Itís not engine / exhaust noise that damages bikers hearing.
    Andy

  12. #1312
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    2,451
    Quote Originally Posted by tobetobes View Post
    I have used the Ultimate ears ones, they are brilliant, but as one chap said above, if I have them in for an hour or so, and I do trips to France, I suddenly find one side cracking a gap if I move my jaw, and from then they are really annoying as my ears are suddenly unbalanced.

    They have been back to base twice for adjustments, they got better but never perfect so eventually I gave up.
    Your ear canals change shape quite a bit in life - if the plugs are not sufficiently pliable, then you will either suffer discomfort and or poor fit.

  13. #1313
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    10,422
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    There is a little corner in hell reserved for bikers who wear ear plugs to protect their own ears; and then fit a race can so they can live their Fogarty fantasy.

    If your bike ain't loud enough on standard pipes, then ride/rev it harder.

    "But, but but ........Loud pipes save lives!"

    Yeah, cos no one ever had a collision with an emergency vehicle on " Blues and two's" did they?
    Not a fan then?

  14. #1314
    Craftsman Tifa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Shropshire UK
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    There is a little corner in hell reserved for bikers who wear ear plugs to protect their own ears; and then fit a race can so they can live their Fogarty fantasy.

    If your bike ain't loud enough on standard pipes, then ride/rev it harder.

    "But, but but ........Loud pipes save lives!"

    Yeah, cos no one ever had a collision with an emergency vehicle on " Blues and two's" did they?

    Hahahahaaaaa.....bless.

  15. #1315
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    West Midlands, UK
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Scroll up. Itís not engine / exhaust noise that damages bikers hearing.
    Scroll up, ones self Sir. I am well aware of that.

    The issue is not bikers hearing damage; that is self inflicted and my own hearing is damaged from too many years on bikes with no ear plugs (well, that and the cauliflower ears..... but thats another story)............. but did you not read Foxy100 post

    "..........but having a bike with a really loud exhaust suddenly overtake me with a bucketful of throttle is agony".

    You okay with that?

  16. #1316
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    West Midlands, UK
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Not a fan then?

    LOL - you reckon?

    To be fair, I just find them kinda embarrassing; like boy racers with wide boy exhausts on their Corsa's; but more so, cos the kid in the Corsa actually needs that extra 3bhp.

    Anyone on a decent bike doesn't need the extra power and just wants to be looked at (or plug a torque curve flat spot that they could learn to ride around)....... which is odd; as if you were really travelling that fast you'd want to be under the radar.

  17. #1317
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    27,369
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    Scroll up, ones self Sir. I am well aware of that.

    The issue is not bikers hearing damage; that is self inflicted and my own hearing is damaged from too many years on bikes with no ear plugs (well, that and the cauliflower ears..... but thats another story)............. but did you not read Foxy100 post

    "..........but having a bike with a really loud exhaust suddenly overtake me with a bucketful of throttle is agony".

    You okay with that?
    To be fair, heís a sensitive soul.

  18. #1318
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Your ear canals change shape quite a bit in life - if the plugs are not sufficiently pliable, then you will either suffer discomfort and or poor fit.
    what he said. Iíve had new moulds and new ear plugs about every 5 years

  19. #1319
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    988
    .....
    Last edited by downer; 23rd December 2018 at 11:28.

  20. #1320
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    7,200
    Shotguns & V-Twins have contributed greatly to my hearing demise over the years. Don't think ear defenders will do much good now. TBH though, the older I get the less I want to hear from others so shouldn't be greatly affected in retrospect

  21. #1321
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Don't think ear defenders will do much good now.
    Youíd be incorrect with that conclusion..

    Having worked in Remploy with many deaf colleagues, it was a constant battle for me to get them to wear hearing protection in the machine shop.... ďIím deaf anyway so it canít do me any harmĒ was the often given excuse when I had to yet again pull a deaf employee up for not wearing their ear defenders..

    It became easier when I persuaded the occupational health specialist to give a talk and an explanation of the continued damage even to 100% deaf workers from not wearing defenders...

    Basically, as noise is a form of energy, exposure to that energy will continue to enter the ear canal and cause damage to the point that profoundly deaf people will eventually go on to develop tinnitus.

    Tinnitus causes misery, so as youíd wear a helmet to protect your head, and boots and gloves to protect you feet and hands.
    My recommendation is to wear hearing protection as much as possible when on a motorcycle..

    I do however understand the advantage of screening out the crap some people talk...

  22. #1322
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    7,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Youíd be incorrect with that conclusion..

    Having worked in Remploy with many deaf colleagues, it was a constant battle for me to get them to wear hearing protection in the machine shop.... ďIím deaf anyway so it canít do me any harmĒ was the often given excuse when I had to yet again pull a deaf employee up for not wearing their ear defenders..

    It became easier when I persuaded the occupational health specialist to give a talk and an explanation of the continued damage even to 100% deaf workers from not wearing defenders...

    Basically, as noise is a form of energy, exposure to that energy will continue to enter the ear canal and cause damage to the point that profoundly deaf people will eventually go on to develop tinnitus.

    Tinnitus causes misery, so as youíd wear a helmet to protect your head, and boots and gloves to protect you feet and hands.
    My recommendation is to wear hearing protection as much as possible when on a motorcycle..

    I do however understand the advantage of screening out the crap some people talk...
    Thanks for that, makes more sense now you have explained it. Better late than never to wear ear plugs I guess.

  23. #1323
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Thanks for that, makes more sense now you have explained it. Better late than never to wear ear plugs I guess.
    Youíre welcome...no matter how much hearing loss youíve already suffered (I have some loss too), itís always better to use protection😈😈..

  24. #1324
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    16,403
    German technology

    [MEDIA=youtube]6rWFSN4LT6M[/MEDIA]
    Well, everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out.

  25. #1325
    Anybody need anything from Infinity?

    I have a £66.00 voucher / credit note that I'm unlikely to use before it expires 4th March.

    Would let it go for £50.00
    Andy

  26. #1326
    Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    There is a little corner in hell reserved for bikers who wear ear plugs to protect their own ears; and then fit a race can so they can live their Fogarty fantasy.

    If your bike ain't loud enough on standard pipes, then ride/rev it harder.

    "But, but but ........Loud pipes save lives!"

    Yeah, cos no one ever had a collision with an emergency vehicle on " Blues and two's" did they?
    Love my Akra full system but also love my ear plugs. Tbf I would use ear plugs even on an OEM exhaust as I think a lot of the time it's the wind noise on the helmet which hurts hearing, not always the exhaust.

  27. #1327
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,035
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Anybody need anything from Infinity?

    I have a £66.00 voucher / credit note that I'm unlikely to use before it expires 4th March.

    Would let it go for £50.00
    If still available Iíll take it Andy... I can put it towards a new open face helmet to complete the Bobber look😱😱

  28. #1328
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    1,363
    Get fitted plugs,whatever your helmet or exhaust wear plugs itís just foolish not to.
    Whatever they cost itís less than buying your hearing back,which you canít.

    Ears grow over the years so my old ones donít fit now,I am also using a special cream for total comfort nowadays.

    https://www.acscustom.com/uk/product...-comfort-cream

  29. #1329
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Get fitted plugs,whatever your helmet or exhaust wear plugs itís just foolish not to.
    Whatever they cost itís less than buying your hearing back,which you canít.

    Ears grow over the years so my old ones donít fit now,I am also using a special cream for total comfort nowadays.

    https://www.acscustom.com/uk/product...-comfort-cream
    Can't you just use some spit?

  30. #1330
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Can't you just use some spit?
    I did before the creams better.

  31. #1331
    Craftsman djjuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    584

    Cool

    Mod 2 passed today on first attempt with one minor (delayed indication). Iíll take that.

    Now the fun part of bike shopping starts!

  32. #1332
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    27,369
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Mod 2 passed today on first attempt with one minor (delayed indication). Iíll take that.

    Now the fun part of bike shopping starts!
    Top man

  33. #1333
    Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Mod 2 passed today on first attempt with one minor (delayed indication). Iíll take that.

    Now the fun part of bike shopping starts!
    Congratulations and in time to get good deals on a bike while the weather is awful!

    FYI the interpretation of "waterproof" in motorcycle clothing is very subjective. Goretex is the only name you can really trust.

  34. #1334
    Craftsman djjuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Top man
    Thanks mate. I hold you and this thread (partially) responsible!

    Looking forward to warmer weather now - although in a way I am glad I went through this in winter as it was good to gain confidence.

  35. #1335
    Craftsman djjuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Congratulations and in time to get good deals on a bike while the weather is awful!

    FYI the interpretation of "waterproof" in motorcycle clothing is very subjective. Goretex is the only name you can really trust.
    Cheers! Yup, budget creep is already in full swing under the Ďwinterí deals available!

  36. #1336
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    3,627
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Thanks mate. I hold you and this thread (partially) responsible!

    Looking forward to warmer weather now - although in a way I am glad I went through this in winter as it was good to gain confidence.
    I am just a few months ahead of you but already have 3 bikes in the garage. I see you are in the SW, are you going to the Bath and West classic bike show this weekend?

  37. #1337
    Craftsman djjuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    I am just a few months ahead of you but already have 3 bikes in the garage. I see you are in the SW, are you going to the Bath and West classic bike show this weekend?
    Yes I can see how that could happen!

    Wasn't aware of that show at the B&W but yes that looks worth a trip. Thanks for the tip.

  38. #1338
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,042
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Mod 2 passed today on first attempt with one minor (delayed indication). Iíll take that.

    Now the fun part of bike shopping starts!
    Well done , as you say the fun doesnt just stop at clothing accessories route planning, it extends to ď that bike looks nice, how much to change?Ē

    Enjoy

    Steve

  39. #1339
    well done on passing your mod 2 , as far as shopping is concerned this year could get expensive as i've been looking at superduke 1290's and the bmw s1000r for a few weeks ...... : /

  40. #1340
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    27,369
    I'm finding myself drooling over the Monster 821 Stealth... it's a great size for me, too



    Slightly less power than my Street Triple, but sexier by far. Luckily, I'm completely skint.

  41. #1341
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Staffs.
    Posts
    2,439
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm finding myself drooling over the Monster 821 Stealth... it's a great size for me, too



    Slightly less power than my Street Triple, but sexier by far. Luckily, I'm completely skint.
    Check out the MV Agusta Brutale, Tony.

    Achingly beautiful.

  42. #1342
    Craftsman skmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm finding myself drooling over the Monster 821 Stealth... it's a great size for me, too


    ....you see you always wanted a Ducati really

    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ........... Luckily, I'm completely skint.
    You don't normally let that get in the way

  43. #1343
    Craftsman Tifa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Shropshire UK
    Posts
    778
    Haven't ridden the MV, but have ridden the 821, imho the 765 Stripple is the better bike.
    Easily.

  44. #1344
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    27,369
    Hmmm... well, I prefer the Ducati to the Agusta, and the latter's also a bit too tall for me. I also appreciate that the Striple is the better bike, actually... it's the looks

  45. #1345
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm finding myself drooling over the Monster 821 Stealth... it's a great size for me, too Slightly less power than my Street Triple, but sexier by far. Luckily, I'm completely skint.
    Andy

  46. #1346
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    27,369
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Oi, I'm into month three with the Striple, I'll have you know

  47. #1347
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    27,369
    Looks like there's a new Daytona 765 on the way

  48. #1348
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,047
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Looks like there's a new Daytona 765 on the way
    A good way to learn the meaning of discomfort.
    Last edited by Skyman; 12th February 2019 at 18:33.

  49. #1349
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    10,422
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Looks like there's a new Daytona 765 on the way
    Based on their Moto 2 race bike too!

    Itíll be a cracker and no doubt theyíll put it in the street triple too.

  50. #1350
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,764
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Looks like there's a new Daytona 765 on the way
    I test rode a Daytona 675 back in the day before I ordered my Striple. I was going to buy the Striple anyway but as they were kind enough to let me have a play for an hour why not...

    Thoughts were way better than the contemporary 600 sport bikes due to the extra torque. Handled superbly and better suited to UK roads, but riding position was too extreme for me. I did contemplate for a nanosecond getting one but fortunately for my back common sense prevailed...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •