closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 309 of 359 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311319 ... LastLast
Results 15,401 to 15,450 of 17913

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Bad luck Tony.

Running in service done on the M today. Only used 12.5k revs so far, but my word does it go. You just get thrown down the road. I’m going to have to recalibrate my brain and work my way up to using all the revs.
    Reminds me of when my mate threw me the keys to his H2.

Nailing the throttle felt more like teleportation than acceleration.

Nearly 9 years ago, the lad and I stopped at a pub for a coke.

Me on a Triumph and him on the little Yamaha

Yesterday we stopped at the same pub for another coke

This time him on a Triumph and me on the little Yamaha

How time flies.

At least the T-shirt we bought him for Christmas when he was 10 now fits. Sort of.

A bit pee'd off right now. Because I've fitted the Fox RSUs (which incorporate canisters behind the spring) to the T120, the Legend Gear pannier rails won't now fit on the bike. Back they go, then, after weeks spent researching the options

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    A bit pee'd off right now. Because I've fitted the Fox RSUs (which incorporate canisters behind the spring) to the T120, the Legend Gear pannier rails won't now fit on the bike. Back they go, then, after weeks spent researching the options
    Had sort of similar with the Street Scrambler - had the custom luggage rack built then tried to fit the V&H slip on. Nope. The V&H doesn't follow the same line as the stock exhaust :-(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

[FONT=Outfit]

R
    That’s certainly not a £4.99 Chinese multimeter. Bet that’s solved some issues in the past.

Steve

Craftsman
    What did you think of the Legend gear Tony? Are the panniers big enough to be useful? I need some luggage for my Speed Twin and the legend gear is definitely on my short list.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    A friend of mine has the urge to swap his Tiger 900 GT for a Bonneville T120. He rides about 9000 miles a year typically including a European tour and several shorter trips to Scotland etc. The rest is leisure riding as he is a mid-sixties retired bloke. He rides all year round.

I realise you can tour on these types of bikes but personally, I think he would regret the swap.

What do you guys reckon?
    You can tour on a bike like the T120 but you have to change your style. Ride slower, stop more often and get good waterproofs to make up for the lack of weather protection. If you’re not in a hurry, or with mates on similar bikes none of that is an issue.
    I’ve had a couple of big adventure bikes in the past but decided to try something different this year and got a Triumph Speed Twin. I’ve just got back from 3 days in Scotland and found that on the short bits of motorway or boring A roads I was definitely having a harder time than my mates on their adventure bikes. In the end I just slowed down and met them later. I was never more than a few minutes behind despite going 10mph or so slower. We were lucky with the weather but I can imagine strong headwinds and rain would only increase the hardship!
    I’’ve done euro tours and I’m not sure it would be fun sitting on the autobahn for a day to get back to the ferry on time.
    All that said, away from the motorway I didn’t really miss my old adventure bikes at all and enjoyed the simplicity of the Speed Twin.

Last edited by Bobbyf; 4th June 2023 at 17:30.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    A friend of mine has the urge to swap his Tiger 900 GT for a Bonneville T120. He rides about 9000 miles a year typically including a European tour and several shorter trips to Scotland etc. The rest is leisure riding as he is a mid-sixties retired bloke. He rides all year round.

I realise you can tour on these types of bikes but personally, I think he would regret the swap.

What do you guys reckon?
    If he is finding the bike a bit tall/top heavy, then I can understand the wish to change.

Yamaha Tracer 900 should be slightly easier to handle and benefits from road wheels/tyres. BMW R1200r/R1250r ? Lower and although perhaps more weight - carries it lower down.

Not sure what other middleweights to suggest, but the Bonneville is not in the same league for touring - as his Tiger or the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    You can tour on a bike like the T120 but you have to change your style. Ride slower, stop more often and get good waterproofs to make up for the lack of weather protection. If you’re not in a hurry or with mates on similar bikes none of that is an issue.
    This. I did several trips abroad on a T120 and for me the 'ride slower, stop more often' makes touring more enjoyable. SWMBO was also pillion on a couple of the trips and she said she preferred the T120 over my previous adventure bikes. That suprised me at first, but her response was that on the GS's she felt she had less time to look around both on and off the bike.

Coincidentally I've just bought back one of my previous T120's and riding it home last week I remembered just what a great bike they are.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    You can tour on a bike like the T120 but you have to change your style. Ride slower, stop more often and get good waterproofs to make up for the lack of weather protection. If you’re not in a hurry or with mates on similar bikes none of that is an issue.
    I’ve had a couple of big adventure bikes in the past but decided to try something different this year and got a Triumph Speed Twin. I’ve just got back from 3 days in Scotland and found that on the short bits of motorway or boring A roads I was definitely having a harder time than my mates on their adventure bikes. In the end I just slowed down and met them later. I was never more than a few minutes behind despite going 10mph or so slower. We were lucky with the weather but I can imagine strong headwinds and rain would only increase the hardship!
    I’ve done euro tour and I’m not sure it would be fun sitting on the autobahn for a day to get back to the ferry on time.
    All that said, away from the motorway I didn’t really miss my old adventure bikes at all and enjoyed the simplicity of the Speed Twin.

Thanks. Interesting and pretty much aligned with my thoughts. Do-able but different.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    If he is finding the bike a bit tall/top heavy, then I can understand the wish to change.

Yamaha Tracer 900 should be slightly easier to handle and benefits from road wheels/tyres. BMW R1200r/R1250r ? Lower and although perhaps more weight - carries it lower down.

Not sure what other middleweights to suggest, but the Bonneville is not in the same league for touring - as his Tiger or the others.
    I honestly think he's got caught up in the "want something different just so it's different" trap. He's looked at all those you suggest (apart from the new Tracer 9 GT Plus which is not quite available yet) as well as the RS, but I don't think he can convince himself that any of them are more suited to him than the Tiger 900 GT he currently rides. I think he's reluctant to get another 900 because he'll be shelling out the cash for the "same bike".

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    This. I did several trips abroad on a T120 and for me the 'ride slower, stop more often' makes touring more enjoyable. SWMBO was also pillion on a couple of the trips and she said she preferred the T120 over my previous adventure bikes. That suprised me at first, but her response was that on the GS's she felt she had less time to look around both on and off the bike.

Coincidentally I've just bought back one of my previous T120's and riding it home last week I remembered just what a great bike they are.

R
    Thanks. For me, the perfect answer is probably to ride slower, stop more often on the most comfortable bike I can find - getting the best of both worlds.

The beauty is here!

Well, it's been here for a couple of days, but I had some farkles I needed to fit and I've also not been feeling great. Anyway, I managed to pop out for a while today to take some photos; apologies that I didn't want to go too far (health again) and so couldn't get to any of the more photogenic locations. The sun was also far to harsh for decent photos.

The bike

Some options/extras (not sure if I remembered them all!)...

Fox RSUs

Motone air intake and throttle body covers

Grab rail and rack

Comfort seat

Bar end mirrors

Fly screen

Dresser bars

Sump plate

Clutch badge and engine protector

Fork protectors

ACG badge and engine protector

Motone radiator guard

SW-Motech Legend Gear panniers

I'm still waiting for a Motone Union Jack reservoir cover. Sadly, too, the Legend Gear panniers have to go back as the rails don't clear the canister on the Fox shocks. Annoying, but the Kriega 28-Duo is a pretty decent second option, and I'll order those as soon as I've sorted out the refund with SW-Motech UK (operator error - they're now installed).

As for the bike itself, it's an absolute revelation. Plenty of power, and in handling terms it feels like a 125 compared to the Harley. I LOVE it, and already feel like I've owned it for years. I couldn't have made a better decision.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 5th June 2023 at 16:33.

Very nice looking bike there, hope you enjoy it.

On a side note look at the weather where you are, its bloody 14 deg c, cold and cloudy and very slight drizzle where I am, I was expecting a few hours out later but I'm not sure I can't be bothered...

That’s lovely Tony. I should have been on mine today but a savage puncture out paid to that, so the CB750 is enjoying a run out. Funnily enough, I am down your neck of the woods today, riding with a pal. The sun is gorgeous down here.

I’m glad it suits your needs and look forward to seeing you riding it loads. Maybe a you tube review when you’re feeling better?

What did you think of the Legend gear Tony? Are the panniers big enough to be useful? I need some luggage for my Speed Twin and the legend gear is definitely on my short list.

Well, ultimately it couldn't be installed, as the rails don't clear the canisters on my Fox shocks. However, it's superlative quality for sure.

I was in two minds regarding the size to get, and in the end decided on the smaller ones in case I change my end cans at some point and find that there are constraints in terms of clearance. I'd say, though, that the smaller bags are fine for day to day use, and the larger ones would be better for longer trips/touring.

Well, ultimately it couldn't be installed, as the rails don't clear the canisters on my Fox shocks. However, it's superlative quality for sure.
    Check with SW Motech before you send it back, Tony. My T120 has the Fox shocks, and the legend rail (right only on mine) fits fine, as per my previous picture.

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Check with SW Motech before you send it back, Tony. My T120 has the Fox shocks, and the legend rail (right only on mine) fits fine, as per my previous picture.
    That’s weird. How many spacers did you use on the frame end?

Master
    The T120 Black looks great, Tony - with some very tasteful upgrades. Enjoy.

That’s weird. How many spacers did you use on the frame end?
    Few years since I installed it, so I cannot remember if there were different spacers in the kit, but this is how it looks with a few mm spare from the shock:

Last edited by djjuk; 4th June 2023 at 17:01.

Few years since I installed it, so I cannot remember if there were different spacers in the kit, but this is how it looks with a few mm spare from the shock:

Bloody hell, that looks like just the long spacer on each side, which has left me flummoxed (in the instructions that state long and short for each).

Thank you, and I’ll speak to them tomorrow. I don’t imagine the dimensions of the frame have changed so maybe it’s me!

Craftsman

I was in two minds regarding the size to get, and in the end decided on the smaller ones in case I change my end cans at some point and find that there are constraints in terms of clearance. I'd say, though, that the smaller bags are fine for day to day use, and the larger ones would be better for longer trips/touring.
    Thanks Tony, lovely bike and nice upgrades. I think I’ll probably go with the legend gear.

Thanks Tony, lovely bike and nice upgrades. I think I’ll probably go with the legend gear.

Oh, and loving the jacket, Rob. It’s now my go-to, and even the sales guy at Triumph commented that my jacket, open face and goggles couldn’t be a more perfect match for the T120!

It wasn’t my first choice but circumstances dictated that I rode just shy of 200 miles on this beauty today, 45 years old and she didn’t miss a beat.

It drew plenty of attention from no end of gentlemen of a certain age during our stops.

Master
    Been out and about all day today, but ended up at a biker meet that I last attended around 20 years ago..

Live music, sunshine and bikes, what more could one ask for?😎

Master
    So further to me getting the Blade started yesterday, finally went on my first ride of the year.

Been thinking of changing it for something lighter but today I was reminded how good it is, not least that although the starting issue has been a PITA (and I discovered some evidence of past bodgery that needs fixing) it rides like a bike with a fraction of its 25 years.

It's far too good for me but I don't care because it's so easy to live with unlike, I suspect, modern equivalents.

It gets more comments than any other bike I've owned, another one today while filling up, and somehow you do feel like you are on something a bit special.

I thought my back might hate it but no issues.

I think it's going to be around a bit longer yet 👍

Well, it's been here for a couple of days, but I had some farkles I needed to fit and I've also not been feeling great. Anyway, I managed to pop out for a while today to take some photos; apologies that I didn't want to go too far (health again) and so couldn't get to any of the more photogenic locations. The sun was also far to harsh for decent photos.

The bike

Some options/extras (not sure if I remembered them all!)...

Fox RSUs

Motone air intake and throttle body covers

Grab rail and rack

Comfort seat

Bar end mirrors

Fly screen

Dresser bars

Sump plate

Clutch badge and engine protector

Fork protectors

ACG badge and engine protector

Motone radiator guard

I'm still waiting for a Motone Union Jack reservoir cover. Sadly, too, the Legend Gear panniers have to go back as the rails don't clear the canister on the Fox shocks. Annoying, but the Kriega 28-Duo is a pretty decent second option, and I'll order those as soon as I've sorted out the refund with SW-Motech UK.

As for the bike itself, it's an absolute revelation. Plenty of power, and in handling terms it feels like a 125 compared to the Harley. I LOVE it, and already feel like I've owned it for years. I couldn't have made a better decision.
    Great choice Tony!
    Enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    That’s certainly not a £4.99 Chinese multimeter. Bet that’s solved some issues in the past.

Steve
    AVO 8 ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Been out and about all day today, but ended up at a biker meet that I last attended around 20 years ago..

Live music, sunshine and bikes, what more could one ask for?

Eastham Ferry, I grew up here. I used to deliver papers to the Ferry Hotel, good tippers at Christmas as well.

I LOVE it, and already feel like I've owned it for years. I couldn't have made a better decision.
    Looks gorgeous Tony, a cracking bike and a wise choice

Let's face it, everyone should own a Harley at least once - if only to get it out of their system!

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    It wasn’t my first choice but circumstances dictated that I rode just shy of 200 miles on this beauty today, 45 years old and she didn’t miss a beat.

It drew plenty of attention from no end of gentlemen of a certain age during our stops.
    Looking good Greg! Has the new shocks improved the ride? it was a little crashy over bumps in the road so it was one of the things I had planned to change if I'd held on to it.

Is that also a new number plate? I see you've already refitted the original master cylinder!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Looks gorgeous Tony, a cracking bike and a wise choice

Let's face it, everyone should own a Harley at least once - if only to get it out of their system!
    Thanks Duncan!

Actually, I think I agree with you. They're amazing machines, with a wonderful level of fit & finish. As for those big old motors - mine was 1750cc, delivering 172nm of torque after the stage 2 upgrades - they’re a whole new experience in themselves.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 5th June 2023 at 23:36.

Craftsman
    Eastham Ferry, I grew up here. I used to deliver papers to the Ferry Hotel, good tippers at Christmas as well.
    Grew up in Eastham myself, lovely area down by the river

Master
    How many farthings did they tip Steve?😆😆

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I'm just back from a week in Germany - as expected, the bike was flawless:

I said the bike was flawless, but didn't mention that the Denali system (lights and horn) wasn't working, which I only discovered while on the trip.
    I just investigated the problem and found that my BMW service dept had, when replacing the bike's battery just before my trip, connected both the Denali CANsmart leads to the positive terminals of the new battery

So, I stand by my statement that the bike was flawless...but service engineers less so.

p.s. Denali system also now fully functional

The bike

Gorgeous Tony! Tastefully upgraded as always. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Looking good Greg! Has the new shocks improved the ride? it was a little crashy over bumps in the road so it was one of the things I had planned to change if I'd held on to it.

Is that also a new number plate? I see you've already refitted the original master cylinder!
    Cheers Duncan, the new shocks are great, heavier springs fitted for me obviously!! Took the two of us comfortably yesterday, she doesn’t ride pillion that often but the option does need to be there. Master cylinder rebuilt and so far so good. Good spot with the plate, I went for the old style black and silver, just to let those know behind me that it’s not worth trying to push me on, it’s not that kind of bike!!

You're an absolute star - thank you for helping avert a disaster.

Now fitted...

Last edited by learningtofly; 6th June 2023 at 07:25.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Gorgeous Tony! Tastefully upgraded as always. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.
    Thanks Mark. As soon as I'm well enough let's go for a ride.

Now fitted...
    No problem! Glad you have got it sorted. They are perfect for the T120.

Master

Gorgeous Tony, enjoy

Now fitted...

In case anyone thinks the bag looks a bit iffy, I rolled it the wrong way. I’ll take another shot tomorrow as it looks infinitely better!

Okay...

Last edited by learningtofly; 6th June 2023 at 07:26.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Gorgeous Tony, enjoy
    Thank you, Simon

Master
    Blog Entries
    H4 headlight bulbs

Can you recommend one with decent brightness that lasts a reasonable time.

My lights are on all the time so Its best not to have a searchlight that wont last.

Amazon reviews are driving me crazy.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    H4 headlight bulbs

Can you recommend one with decent brightness that lasts a reasonable time.

My lights are on all the time so Its best not to have a searchlight that wont last.

Amazon reviews are driving me crazy.

Thanks.
    Been using one of these for the last 3 years, on all the time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUXITO-Ligh.../dp/B092SHMWQZ

Nice looking bike Tony
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

What do we all think of these protective riding shirts?

I guess I'm not the target market, but HOW BLOODY MUCH? I've just had an email from Moto Legends and the HELD Woodland shirt is £344!!

I'd sooner buy a jacket
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Great choice Tony!
    Enjoy!
    Thanks very much, Keith. Just need to get well enough to reinstate the postponed weekend now!

Nice looking bike Tony
    Cheers, Andy.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 6th June 2023 at 11:09.

One for Tony

Hi chaps

Just arrived in Antibes after leaving London on Saturday.

We stopped in Dijon and Grenoble, the finally in Cannes, having ridden the entire Route Napoleon down from Grenoble.

Mostly, a fantastic route, however the weather was horrendous for the final 2 hours decending into Cannes.

I was wearing ventilated Dainese gear, so got immediately drenched and fairly miserable. I really should've stopped to put my rain coveralls on immediately, but once I was already wet, I figured that I'd prefer to try and get the gear dry by wearing it...I did not expect it to last 2 hours!

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

One for Tony

It really is a cracker of a bike, Duncan. And it's a "proper" Bonneville

Master
    What do we all think of these protective riding shirts?

I guess I'm not the target market, but HOW BLOODY MUCH? I've just had an email from Moto Legends and the HELD Woodland shirt is £344!!

I'd sooner buy a jacket
    I quite fancied one to go with my bobber but as you say prices are ridiculous Held, Belstaff and Rokker all well over £300 quid. I ain’t paying that for a shirt I’ll maybe wear half a dozen times per year 👎👎

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    How many farthings did they tip Steve?
    Cheeky b00ger :) When I was delivering papers to Ferry road it was 14 shillings a week, two deliveries a day! The Ferry Hotel tipped a quid from memory eg a weeks wages! I’m sure I read it’s family owned and has been for decades. The Tap didn’t use to be a bikers pub, that seemed to happen in the 90’s. I think the “Wirral Egg Run” finishing there massively improved its popularity as a bikers pub.

LRB255 , I grew up in St David’s road just up from the Manchester ship canal , small world:)