closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 301 of 359 FirstFirst ... 201251291299300301302303311351 ... LastLast
Results 15,001 to 15,050 of 17913

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Sorry , I wasn’t clear at all. I’m happy with the spring orientation. It was if the shocks were ‘sided’ as such?

Whether it matters if the screw at the top faces towards the rear or front of the bike. I have it facing the rear as it is but I think it will be less noticeable facing forward and look a bit better but I don’t know if it matters or not?
    Ah - sorry. Still mount them as you have.

If you tuck the lock/adjusting screws against the frame you will graunch them quicker (trying to adjust). If you are worried about them being tampered with - stick some marker paint on them

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Ah - sorry. Still mount them as you have.

If you tuck the lock/adjusting screws against the frame you will graunch them quicker (trying to adjust). If you are worried about them being tampered with - stick some marker paint on them
    As I thought. Thanks for confirming, much appreciated.

Finally getting some decent miles on my Kawasaki Z900RS SE, great bike and due it’s first service next week. Only thing is for some reason and it may just be me but I don’t feel the tyres are the best for the bike, I’m thinking about changing them but they’ve only done 600 miles.

Would you change or just run them until they are actually ready for changing them?

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Finally getting some decent miles on my Kawasaki Z900RS SE, great bike and due it’s first service next week. Only thing is for some reason and it may just be me but I don’t feel the tyres are the best for the bike, I’m thinking about changing them but they’ve only done 600 miles.

Would you change or just run them until they are actually ready for changing them?
    Had a similar dilemma, I’ve just changed my OEM tyres, I have had the bike about 7 months and had done around 500 miles myself. The tyres had done a little over 2k in total and had loads of life left but I had convinced myself that they were pretty poor so had them replaced. I am very glad I did, whether it is all in my head or not, it has changed the riding experience for me.

Had a similar dilemma, I’ve just changed my OEM tyres, I have had the bike about 7 months and had done around 500 miles myself. The tyres had done a little over 2k in total and had loads of life left but I had convinced myself that they were pretty poor so had them replaced. I am very glad I did, whether it is all in my head or not, it has changed the riding experience for me.
    Ok cheers, think I’ll just order some Metzler M9RR’s and be done with it.

If they are not to your liking you may as well do a fecking great burnout till the mofo pops.
    Post the vid.

Master
    Ok cheers, think I’ll just order some Metzler M9RR’s and be done with it.
    On a Z900? I suspect you will get better performance and wear from a less sporting tyre. Unless you do trackdays on the Z900 that is.

Seen loads of reviews saying great for on the road and on naked bikes hence looking at them.

Plus Neevsey at MCN news said he put it on his and it transformed the ride?

That was why I was thinking them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Seen loads of reviews saying great for on the road and on naked bikes hence looking at them.

They are a great tyre, but they are really optimised for fast-road road/track tyre (and it doesn't matter whether a bike is naked or not, all bikes can be naked). In other words, I still think they need a fair bit of heat in them to work at their optimum - and probably more heat than one might typically generate with a Z900. It might be worth considering a sports touring type tyre like the Pirelli Angel GT2 as they work at their optimum at significantly cooler temps compared to the M9RR. The Angel GT2 or Diablo is a great tyre with amazing handling feel for road use. They are stronger in the damp/wet too. They won't last as long as the M9RR on track, but they weren't designed for track either. Don't get me wrong - if one had a V4Tuono or similar hypernaked, I'd consider the M9RR given the bike's power outputs and intended use; but for sporty but reasonable road use like [one could reasonably expect] with the Z900, I'd pick the Angel GT2 every day. Of course, you could tell me that you ride the Z900 like Eddie Lawson did in his hey day, and I'll shut up. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Lovely day for a test rideWell the M1000R was bloody awesome. The demo bike had been run in but they left the 9k rpm limiter in place, but even up to that, it had useful extra grunt. The brakes are even better (master cylinder) than those on the S1000R and with the wider, flat bars plus the forged ally wheels turn in is a bit crisper. On the minus side the bar end mirrors are terrible at speed on anything other than completely smooth tarmac and due to the new emission regs the pops and bangs on overrun that my bike does are largely absent. I wasn’t expecting to like it so much, but I’ve done a deal in principle that I can confirm or back out of by close of business Monday. The new bike would be available early May. I’m going white and taking all the carbon bits, crash protection, belly pan, QR fuel cap, Racefit end can etc off my bike & swapping them on to the M.
    This strikes me as being, on paper, the perfect bike for an ex sports bike lunatic.

All of the performance where it matters and the lack of fairing to keep you below prison speeds, mainly.

Plus it’s rather special, so does for the heart what the mechanics of it do for the head.

Congratulations!

Master
    Simon Relph put the M9RR on his Kawasaki Z900RS and was very pleased.

See his review here:
    https://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn-m...wasaki-z900rs/

M9RR is my tyre of choice for more or less anything with some performance. I’ve got them on my GSXR, had them on my speed triples, if I had a z900rs, they’d go on that too. I do have Angel STs on my Tiger Sport (only because it came with them), they don’t seem to last appreciable longer than the M9s do, don’t grip quite as well in the dry (but they do ok for a tourer) but are slightly better in the wet (which I generally avoid anyway).
    Last edited by Groundrush; 22nd April 2023 at 08:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    M9RR is my tyre of choice for more or less anything with some performance. I’ve got them on my GSXR, had them on my speed triples, if I had a z900rs, they’d go on that too. I do have Angel STs on my Tiger Sport, they don’t seem to last appreciable longer than the M9s do, don’t grip quite as well in the dry (but they do ok for a tourer) but are slightly better in the wet (which I generally avoid anyway).
    Thanks it’s good to hear, I was looking at some Michelin variants as well but I think I’ll try the Metzler, I’m not a wet weather guy and will avoid where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    They are a great tyre, but they are really optimised for fast-road road/track tyre (and it doesn't matter whether a bike is naked or not, all bikes can be naked). In other words, I still think they need a fair bit of heat in them to work at their optimum - and probably more heat than one might typically generate with a Z900. It might be worth considering a sports touring type tyre like the Pirelli Angel GT2 as they work at their optimum at significantly cooler temps compared to the M9RR. The Angel GT2 or Diablo is a great tyre with amazing handling feel for road use. They are stronger in the damp/wet too. They won't last as long as the M9RR on track, but they weren't designed for track either. Don't get me wrong - if one had a V4Tuono or similar hypernaked, I'd consider the M9RR given the bike's power outputs and intended use; but for sporty but reasonable road use like [one could reasonably expect] with the Z900, I'd pick the Angel GT2 every day. Of course, you could tell me that you ride the Z900 like Eddie Lawson did in his hey day, and I'll shut up. :-)
    Thanks mate, i don’t even know who Mr Lawson is tbh, I’ll look over those tyres you mentioned.

Oh dear, don't want to run out of water here!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks mate, i don’t even know who Mr Lawson is tbh, I’ll look over those tyres you mentioned.
    Eddie Lawson, 4 time GP winner with 3 manufacturers. One of the greatest ever. Won AMA twice with Kawasaki.

https://classictwowheels.com.au/raci...-eddie-lawson/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Oh dear, don't want to run out of water here!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    That feeling when you check your fuel 3 times, cycle through engine and bike stats, and mutter in thr helmet softly to your bike… “come on, you can do it”…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I do have Angel STs
    Angel STs sre crap.

That feeling when you check your fuel 3 times, cycle through engine and bike stats, and mutter in thr helmet softly to your bike… “come on, you can do it”…
    Exactly ^^^that^^^

.....and, 'is my engine making a funny noise or does it always sound like that?'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Exactly ^^^that^^^

.....and, 'is my engine making a funny noise or does it always sound like that?'

Eddie Lawson, 4 time GP winner with 3 manufacturers. One of the greatest ever. Won AMA twice with Kawasaki.

https://classictwowheels.com.au/raci...-eddie-lawson/
    Ah ok, I’ve only had my licence since 2021 so not massively up to speed on past histories, I didn’t really start watching racing until mid 90’s.

michelin road5/6 or metzeller roadtec 01 se are all most ppl will need , all decent 'tourer' tyres are dual compound now and just as good in the dry as the wet - and they last a hell of a lot longer.

Crumbs, that is nice!

Thanks for that

im doing that all the time anyway on the eMpTy 10 nevermind in a desert - bike is probably the best ive owned but the fuel range is awful (100miles im looking for a garage ,if not found at 120 im pushing it )

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    im doing that all the time anyway on the eMpTy 10 nevermind in a desert - bike is probably the best ive owned but the fuel range is awful (100miles im looking for a garage ,if not found at 120 im pushing it )
    lol! I heard the eMpTy10 is a terrifically fun bike to ride - a good mate of mine spends most of his time on his on the back wheel and has toured all over Europe with it. He still has it but hardly rides it at the moment as he's thinking "heat the house" or "ride the bike?" I told him to ride the bike...(!)

lol! I heard the eMpTy10 is a terrifically fun bike to ride - a good mate of mine spends most of his time on his on the back wheel and has toured all over Europe with it. He still has it but hardly rides it at the moment as he's thinking "heat the house" or "ride the bike?" I told him to ride the bike...(!)
    I looked at the MT10 as a possible do-it-all bike (including getting down to South of France) and even looked at bespoke pannier frames to get there.

Took one out for a test ride and was a bit non-plussed about it.

Then read the stories about fuel consumption, which in real terms - looked like a range of around 120miles. If on the peage and trying to make headway - I'd be looking for fuel at 90-95 mile marker.

Went for the S1000XR and loved it from the start. I imagine the S1000R is similarly capable without the horrendous consumption of the MT-10

i'll probably keep the MT10 another year then the new GSX 1000 GT is a good possibility or the BMW 1000 XR , i also like the superduke r/GT but pretty much everyone i know thats had one has had problems with it in one way or another and end up getting rid of them (great bike when running fine though)

if the MT10 had another 20/30 miles fuel range it would be the perfect bike for me, lots of fun thou keeping the front wheel down gets some getting used too.
    Last edited by pugster; 22nd April 2023 at 11:09.

Master
    KTMs are a bike I want to love. But every time I've taken one out it has either broken down on me (including an 890Adv and 1290SAS), or the general build quality suggests it should be half the price they are (and they are normally already discounted).

KTMs scare the life out of me purely on the basis that every person I've seen riding one in London rides like they honestly don't care if they die.

Master
    New helmet day
    24hrs after ordering
    Ls by biglewie, on Flickr

Whether it matters if the screw at the top faces towards the rear or front of the bike. I have it facing the rear as it is but I think it will be less noticeable facing forward and look a bit better but I don’t know if it matters or not?
    Doesn't really matter.
    Personally I'd go with the adjusters at the rear to make adjusting them a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I looked at the MT10 as a possible do-it-all bike (including getting down to South of France) and even looked at bespoke pannier frames to get there.

Took one out for a test ride and was a bit non-plussed about it.

Then read the stories about fuel consumption, which in real terms - looked like a range of around 120miles. If on the peage and trying to make headway - I'd be looking for fuel at 90-95 mile marker.

Went for the S1000XR and loved it from the start. I imagine the S1000R is similarly capable without the horrendous consumption of the MT-10
    i test rode the s1000r and the gsx1000s before settling on the MT10 , i found the BMW had no character at all and was completely sterile - its a very fast and capable machine that is an absolute bullet and makes a great track bike - it does everything without any fuss.
    the MT10 will quite happily kill me if im not careful , all the latest super nakeds are great machines and i'd have one of each if it was possible - theres no need for a dedicated sports bike any more unless you do a lot of track days (if i did track days i'd probably have ended up with the BMW)

Thanks for the help fellas. Fitted the shocks this morning, I had to remove the Remus silencers to do them, so I think that I will run with the Motone exhaust tips for a little while before I refit the Remus cans.

Straight out of the box these feel great, I will be getting them set up professionally so they will be even better. Starting to feel that it’s coming together now.

Mrs C is getting twitchy, she’s convinced that when I’m happy with it I will buy an addition to the stable to keep me occupied!

Thanks for the help fellas. Fitted the shocks this morning, I had to remove the Remus silencers to do them, so I think that I will run with the Motone exhaust tips for a little while before I refit the Remus cans.

Straight out of the box these feel great, I will be getting them set up professionally so they will be even better. Starting to feel that it’s coming together now.

Mrs C is getting twitchy, she’s convinced that when I’m happy with it I will buy an addition to the stable to keep me occupied!
    The Fox shocks on the Street Scrambler made such a difference. Real shame they don't fit decent shocks as standard

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    The Fox shocks on the Street Scrambler made such a difference. Real shame they don't fit decent shocks as standard
    Agreed, I would probably have got the fox shocks if they were a stiffer spring as I’m not as svelte as I used to be. The Ohlins were upgraded to a more suitable spring for me.

I'm having the Fox fitted to my T120. (I'm also fitting Greg's Motone exhaust tips on mine, in the hope that they enhance the sound enough that I can avoid the temptation of new end cans.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm having the Fox fitted to my T120. (I'm also fitting Greg's Motone exhaust tips on mine, in the hope that they enhance the sound enough that I can avoid the temptation of new end cans.
    I'm planning a pitch to Dragon's Den.

Performance cars now have quiet exhausts for the benefit of everyone outside, but have fake engine noise played through the speakers inside so the driver still gets the "brum, brum" noises they so crave. I'm thinking of in-helmet speakers linked to the bike's ECU so the rider can enjoy 120dB of authentic simulated engine and induction noise but the general public don't need to "enjoy" the noise as well :-)

I'm planning a pitch to Dragon's Den.

Performance cars now have quiet exhausts for the benefit of everyone outside, but have fake engine noise played through the speakers inside so the driver still gets the "brum, brum" noises they so crave. I'm thinking of in-helmet speakers linked to the bike's ECU so the rider can enjoy 120dB of authentic simulated engine and induction noise but the general public don't need to "enjoy" the noise as well :-)
    You need a Dragon who's a biker too. Peter Jones could be a dark horse...

Master
    Spent a great morning at Stafford Classic bike show, I wont bore everyone with photos, but highlights were

Listening to Giacomo Agostini laugh about Uk traffic and trains

Watching the wall of death for £3 where else will you see riders on 100 year old bikes riding no handed whilst “ on the wall”

Seeing that even when throwing a ton of money at classic bikes they can still be eclipsed by some simple genuine oily rag machines.

Great track day at RAF Odiham today. Very cold riding there in my vented leathers at 4 deg c, but it warmed up nicely throughout the day except for the 40 minutes or so of rain.

This was my first 2 wheeled track outing of the year and will be the last on the S1000R which performed flawlessly. The pops and bangs on the overrun at track speeds are laugh out loud brilliant.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Wales, you say?

This may be helpful for planning purposes

Master
    Got a Tiger 900 as a loaner while my 1200 is in for service. Have to say the smaller bike is a bit of a revelation. It's clearly lighter and more agile, seems equally comfortable, has enough performance - and makes me wonder if I made the right choice with the 1200. Perhaps a downsize is in order...

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Got a Tiger 900 as a loaner while my 1200 is in for service. Have to say the smaller bike is a bit of a revelation. It's clearly lighter and more agile, seems equally comfortable, has enough performance - and makes me wonder if I made the right choice with the 1200. Perhaps a downsize is in order...

It may be a step too far, but try the 660 too before you make your mind up.

Master
    Being of smaller stature, I’ve always preferred the 9 to the 12. Seems it’s just a better all rounder. Lacks the convenience of shaft drive of course, but a small price to pay overall.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Being of smaller stature, I’ve always preferred the 9 to the 12. Seems it’s just a better all rounder. Lacks the convenience of shaft drive of course, but a small price to pay overall.
    I can't really claim the smaller stature thing - to say the least, so the 12 is probably a better ergonomic fit. There were a couple of recalls on my bike (clutch-related) as well as several software updates. This, combined with new steering head bearings (warranty) have fixed all the major issues I had with the bike - heavy and slow steering, snatchy clutch, daft auto revving of the 'anti-stall' function - so I am happy with it again.

Next time round though, I will definitely look closer at the mid-weight bikes.

Master
    I can't really claim the smaller stature thing - to say the least, so the 12 is probably a better ergonomic fit. There were a couple of recalls on my bike (clutch-related) as well as several software updates. This, combined with new steering head bearings (warranty) have fixed all the major issues I had with the bike - heavy and slow steering, snatchy clutch, daft auto revving of the 'anti-stall' function - so I am happy with it again.

Next time round though, I will definitely look closer at the mid-weight bikes.
    I tried to get a test drive on the 900 around feb last year (before I bought my T7) - visited my local triumph dealer - said he might have one in June - only might and a test ride was out of the question. I virtually had to beg him just to let me sit on the one he had in the store
    Needless to say I didn’t get one

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I tried to get a test drive on the 900 around feb last year (before I bought my T7) - visited my local triumph dealer - said he might have one in June - only might and a test ride was out of the question. I virtually had to beg him just to let me sit on the one he had in the store
    Needless to say I didn’t get one
    Exactly the same reason I steered away from a Triumph last year, went into a dealers, no bikes to test ride, couldn’t sit on the bikes in the dealership as all the ones I was looking at had sold signs on them and no idea of when he was getting any more in.

Master
    I think there's no doubt that a lot of manufacturers are still having supply chain issues, including Triumph. 900's seem far more readily available now but the dealer was telling my his supply of 1200's is very limited. To be fair, my local dealer (Staffs Triumph) do everything they can to help, unlike my local Ducati and BMW guys.

Sunshine (!) and a free afternoon....what else could be better!

Master
    Fancied another bobber…