closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 298 of 359 FirstFirst ... 198248288296297298299300308348 ... LastLast
Results 14,851 to 14,900 of 17913

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, I've been engaging with the Head of Sales for the joint Triumph/Harley dealership and have made a decision. This has been driven by:

1. Availability of the T120 Black - there's nothing anywhere near me on the used market and Triumph North London are getting an allocation of 1 in May and then nothing until well into the summer.
    2. I've been done a real favour on the cost of change, as I was promised. It was probably fortuitous that I'm dealing with someone who was himself hospitalised for 5 months not that long ago, so the empathy was strong.
    3. My own treatment isn't going nearly as well as hoped, so it looks like my recovery (and hence an increase in my general strength) is some months away.

Long story short, the cost to me was at the figure that I knew I couldn't turn down when I first started pinning down my preferred option, so this will be mine in May. I'm sure i've made the right decision, although it's more than a little bitter-sweet if I'm honest.

Perfect! Just in time for DGR 2023.....did we pre-register??

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Sorry to hear about point 3 but that's a damn fine looking bike. I keep being drawn to the Speed Twin (similar but different).
    Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    good luck Tony, both with your health and the new bike :-)
    Thanks both!

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Perfect! Just in time for DGR 2023.....did we pre-register??
    We did indeed, Mark (well, I know that I did ).

Master
    Lovely bike there Tony. Timeless.
    I’d still have my 865 Black if it wasn’t for the fact that I found it a touch squished when my wife wanted to hitch a ride.

Nice one, Tony. Looks great.

Re the Remus cans. No complaints at all. I much prefer the look over the peashooters, and the sound is excellent.

I don’t think that you will be disappointed Tony. It’s a nice bike to take the new place if needs be.

Great decision, Tony. Be marvellous for you to be on the road and comfortable again

Master
    Looks great, Tony. Best of luck with the recovery, and of course, the new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Lovely bike there Tony. Timeless.
    I’d still have my 865 Black if it wasn’t for the fact that I found it a touch squished when my wife wanted to hitch a ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Nice one, Tony. Looks great.

Re the Remus cans. No complaints at all. I much prefer the look over the peashooters, and the sound is excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I don’t think that you will be disappointed Tony. It’s a nice bike to take the new place if needs be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Great decision, Tony. Be marvellous for you to be on the road and comfortable again
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Looks great, Tony. Best of luck with the recovery, and of course, the new bike.
    Thanks so much, guys. I’m excited for sure - just hope the timing doesn’t slip from
    May to June as I really want it for both the DGR and the North Wales trip/TZ ride out.

Good luck with the recovery. The new bike looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    +1 from me Tony. Triumph really do know how to build a good retro and that one’s right up there with the best.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    +1 from me Tony. Triumph really do know how to build a good retro and that one’s right up there with the best.
    Thank you. I do agree about this being the best of the retro best… if feels very authentic to the Bonnevilles of old, and there’s just the right amount of electronics on it without any unnecessary bells and whistles.

Just catching up with this thread. Sorry to hear of your bother Tony. That looks like a lovely solution for now.

There will always be more Harleys.

Master
    Thanks so much, guys. I’m excited for sure - just hope the timing doesn’t slip from
    May to June as I really want it for both the DGR and the North Wales trip/TZ ride out.
    Mmm so it looks like I’m going to have use the Speedmaster and I’ll have to insist that my mates use their Thruxtons for the wales trip.🤪🤪

Nice to get a few miles in today and enjoy the sun

Even if I was required to pop to the shops

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Mmm so it looks like I’m going to have use the Speedmaster and I’ll have to insist that my mates use their Thruxtons for the wales trip.浪浪
    I’ll keep you appraised

Nice to get a few miles in today and enjoy the sun

Even if I was required to pop to the shops

What’s it like towing the trailer, Ian?

Shame to see you can't do the Harley any more Tony. It suited you but great to see you're not giving up.

Gonna be a beautiful day tomorrow in Sussex apparently so going for a long blast on the Superduke GT. If anybody is in the area give me a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Shame to see you can't do the Harley any more Tony. It suited you but great to see you're not giving up.
    Thanks Ray. Yeah, I’m a bit gutted, if I’m honest - still know it was the right thing to do, though.

Went out on this for the first time this year, potholes on the Essex roads are getting very scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Went out on this for the first time this year, potholes on the Essex roads are getting very scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Im a cyclist as well as a biker and a 9kgs carbon bike bucks like a bronco on anything but pan flat tarmac. So Im always scanning the road ahead.

The other thing on a cycle is speed is so much slower so you can appreciate the depth of the bu99ers. Im sure some of the potholes I ride past could generate an echo :)

Ps what is the extra paddock stand thingy at the rear of your swingarm, as you already appear to have snazzy blue bobbins.

Thanks Ray. Yeah, I’m a bit gutted, if I’m honest - still know it was the right thing to do, though.
    Definitely the right thing to do if it's comfortable with where you are Tony. On the plus side you're more than welcome to take the Fat Bob for a blast if you're down this way.
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Definitely the right thing to do if it's comfortable with where you are Tony. On the plus side you're more than welcome to take the Fat Bob for a blast if you're down this way.
    Ray
    That would be cool… we could do a bike swap. Thanks for the kind thought.

Master

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Ps what is the extra paddock stand thingy at the rear of your swingarm, as you already appear to have snazzy blue bobbins.
    I’m pretty sure that a bottle opener

Im a cyclist as well as a biker and a 9kgs carbon bike bucks like a bronco on anything but pan flat tarmac. So Im always scanning the road ahead.

The other thing on a cycle is speed is so much slower so you can appreciate the depth of the bu99ers. Im sure some of the potholes I ride past could generate an echo :)

The trick BMW chain adjusters come with one as well, but haven’t managed to find the stand that fits it.

What’s it like towing the trailer, Ian?
    I often describe it like carrying a very heavy pillion that doesn't weigh anything.

The bike accelerates slower because of the weight, and takes longer to slow down (ditto), but in the corners you don't notice that it's there.

Genuinely, through the corners you just don't notice it.

The big thing for me though is that when I used to do a lot of touring and camping, the heavy camping gear was stowed in the trailer rather than piled up on top of the bike. With my little legs, avoiding having loads of gear high up was a big advantage. It meant that I could take a fair amount of luggage but the bike itself was no heavier, so no more likely to topple which it might be with loads of additional weight up top.

Legally top speed is limited to 60 rather than 70, but it tows nicely when "making progress". I remember following the original owner through twisty roads in Wales and he'd be happily grinding out the pegs on his bike with the trailer following along behind. I'd not want to do an emergency stop with it on though, particularly mid corner.

It's narrower than the BMW too (just), so it doesn't impede filtering. If the bike makes it through the trailer will too.

Unfortunately though, the reason I had it out today is that I'm getting it tidied up to sell it. I haven't used it for bike touring for close to 30 years. While we did use it behind a car to camp when my lad was small, since then it's sat about just in case I needed it. But I haven't much.

I did consider taking it for my euro tour a few years ago, but the rule are so varied across the continent that I decided it wasn't worth the bother; the speed limit for a solo motorcycle towing in Germany is 60k/h (37mph) for example.

People look at me like I'm mad, but I find it a brilliant way of carrying stuff and will be sad to see it go. So I'll probably put it on eBay with an unrealistically high reserve :-)

Master
    Gyp might be worth a punt on UKGSER, there’s plenty on there who tour uk and maybe interested.

Gyp might be worth a punt on UKGSER, there’s plenty on there who tour uk and maybe interested.
    Good plan - if nothing else it'll be a chance for AndyB_11 and Wessie to hurl abuse at me :-)

I often describe it like carrying a very heavy pillion that doesn't weigh anything.

The bike accelerates slower because of the weight, and takes longer to slow down (ditto), but in the corners you don't notice that it's there.

Genuinely, through the corners you just don't notice it.

The big thing for me though is that when I used to do a lot of touring and camping, the heavy camping gear was stowed in the trailer rather than piled up on top of the bike. With my little legs, avoiding having loads of gear high up was a big advantage. It meant that I could take a fair amount of luggage but the bike itself was no heavier, so no more likely to topple which it might be with loads of additional weight up top.

Legally top speed is limited to 60 rather than 70, but it tows nicely when "making progress". I remember following the original owner through twisty roads in Wales and he'd be happily grinding out the pegs on his bike with the trailer following along behind. I'd not want to do an emergency stop with it on though, particularly mid corner.

It's narrower than the BMW too (just), so it doesn't impede filtering. If the bike makes it through the trailer will too.

Unfortunately though, the reason I had it out today is that I'm getting it tidied up to sell it. I haven't used it for bike touring for close to 30 years. While we did use it behind a car to camp when my lad was small, since then it's sat about just in case I needed it. But I haven't much.

I did consider taking it for my euro tour a few years ago, but the rule are so varied across the continent that I decided it wasn't worth the bother; the speed limit for a solo motorcycle towing in Germany is 60k/h (37mph) for example.

People look at me like I'm mad, but I find it a brilliant way of carrying stuff and will be sad to see it go. So I'll probably put it on eBay with an unrealistically high reserve :-)
    Thank you. Do you still countersteer (I'm imagining not)?

Thank you. Do you still countersteer (I'm imagining not)?
    Yes. Still ride the bike exactly like a solo and ignore the trailer.

...whilst remembering to brake a bit earlier/smoother than normal and not to cut back in quite so quickly when filtering

The only time it's conspicuous is when riding on poor road surfaces as you have 3 wheel tracks rather than just the one, and it jolts about a bit if one of the wheels hits a pot hole etc

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=adrianw;6189645]Went out on this for the first time this year, potholes on the Essex roads are getting very scary.

Firstly...

...Gorgeous bike.

Secondly...

...Glad it's not just the pot holes in Devon that are scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post
    ...Glad it's not just the pot holes in Devon that are scary!
    Potholes in Cheshire East & Staff Moorlands seem different league this year. I've never known so many or so bad.

We moved in November and I have been nearly 6 months without a bike until today, when I bought this:

Nowhere near as much of a handful as my 1198 S Corse but I could do with hanging onto my licence for a little while.

I now need an outdoor cover until I can get a more permanent bike store for the garden.

Has anyone got any recommendations for really good all weather covers please?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    We moved in November and I have been nearly 6 months without a bike until today, when I bought this:

Nowhere near as much of a handful as my 1198 S Corse but I could do with hanging onto my licence for a little while.

I now need an outdoor cover until I can get a more permanent bike store for the garden.

I’ve one of these for a couple of years- over the GS and now the T7 and it’s been very good
    https://www.jdc-products.co.uk/produ...4aAuudEALw_wcB
    Last edited by lewie; 8th April 2023 at 18:56.

Master

John , good to see you back on two wheels , did the Ducati come from your favoured Sheffield toyshop :)

Steve

Anyone go to Kickback at the GMex today? There were some lovely builds there and I met a few folks I hadn't seen for a while. Steve Berry popped by for a beer too, it is a couple of years since I have seen him, he and I started Streetfighters magazine for Steve Myatt, then Berry went off to TV and stuff. I had a glorious ride home through some small back roads, from Stocksbridge down through the Derwent and Strines valley to ladybower, Tideswell, Cheddleton, Biggin dale, Okeover and home. A very pleasant day all round.

Yesterday was a fun day out, he says sarcastically. First ride out of the year with the lads. Result: one wrecked 16H Norton and a mate with a broken collar bone. Be careful out there.

the roads are a nightmare atm- and dont forget the tradition biker name for this weekend :(

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Yesterday was a fun day out, he says sarcastically. First ride out of the year with the lads. Result: one wrecked 16H Norton and a mate with a broken collar bone. Be careful out there.
    Ouch!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I was around N..Wales yesterday and came across 2 road closures involving bike accidents☹️👎

Being extra vigilant and cautious, and not going out tomorrow.

I know we’re all pretty old and experienced but…..Be careful everyone, don’t go for that overtake unless extra safe to do so, and be very wary at junctions and roundabouts. The car drivers are distracted by kids and phones and don’t give a monkeys about other road users..😡

I had someone pull out on me yesterday. I'm on a long straight road (50 limit) doing 50ish with a road joining from the left. I saw a car pull up to the junction and the driver just looked left (so away from me). I thought 'they're going to pull out' so had started slowing anyway when they pulled out and I slammed the brakes on. I stopped about a foot from the driver's door. She'd stopped too and just mouthed "sorry" at me as she drove off again.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I had someone pull out on me yesterday. I'm on a long straight road (50 limit) doing 50ish with a road joining from the left. I saw a car pull up to the junction and the driver just looked left (so away from me). I thought 'they're going to pull out' so had started slowing anyway when they pulled out and I slammed the brakes on. I stopped about a foot from the driver's door. She'd stopped too and just mouthed "sorry" at me as she drove off again.
    Standard operating procedure. You just have to assume they're all out to get you and ride accordingly.

Standard operating procedure. You just have to assume they're all out to get you and ride accordingly.
    Indeed - but interesting that I absolutely knew that this one was going to do it.

I used one of these for years, an excellent solution as it doesn't touch the bike.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ridehide-Wa...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Now I have a garage I don't need it anymore so you can have it if you arrange the postage! It has a brand new unused frame and a cover that was used for only 9 months, which is in tip top condition. The old cover split after many years so I bought a complete new tent and just put the new cover on the old frame hence the brand new frame and used cover.

PM me if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I used one of these for years, an excellent solution as it doesn't touch the bike.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ridehide-Wa...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Now I have a garage I don't need it anymore so you can have it if you arrange the postage! It has a brand new unused frame and a cover that was used for only 9 months, which is in tip top condition. The old cover split after many years so I bought a complete new tent and just put the new cover on the old frame hence the brand new frame and used cover.

PM me if you're interested.
    I use a close fitting Oxford Stormex cover PLUS a Ridehide. That combo does the job pretty well, I'd say.

I use a close fitting Oxford Stormex cover PLUS a Ridehide. That combo does the job pretty well, I'd say.
    Close fitting outdoor covers aren’t a great idea, you can get wear points and micro paint blisters

Close fitting outdoor covers aren’t a great idea, you can get wear points and micro paint blisters
    I've used the Stormex on half a dozen bikes over the past 5 years and there's never been a problem (it's close fitting rather than tight fitting, and has a soft fleecy lining). It's a superb cover, although the fact that it's also under a Ridehide may have mitigated the paint blister risk as the bike never gets hot, whatever the weather.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 9th April 2023 at 10:54.

Additional paddock stand lift points.
    Some TCA's include these in their kits.

Thanks everyone, and thanks Duncan for the kind offer of the tent.

I have been distracted today by my cat needing to go the the vet as an emergency. She had an operation last week and now has a post op complication.

Will reply properly including the PM about the tent once I know how she is doing.

I had a fantastic weekend of riding around South West.

Some highlights:

B4070 from Stroud to Cheltenham (although a farmer did pull out in front of me, which prompted an emergency stop before realising the opposite lane was clear)

B4022 from Charlbury to Chipping Norton

My first proper ride on a 2013 1200GS. Some thoughts for those that are considering a GS.

Fully loaded up with a weekend's worth of luggage, it handles very well. You can plant it right into a corner, but once you are committed there is minimal scope for mid corner adjustability (not particularly surprising given the weight of the thing plus me and luggage).

Power is ample everywhere for road riding. It power wheelies in second which takes you by surprise for such a comfortable machine.

I was following a buddy on his 1250GS from Burford and it had slightly more 'go', above 60mph, but don't discount the early watercooled bikes for less than half the price...it really makes me question whether I will use my S1000RR much this summer.

If the rumours are true and there is a 1300GS coming, I can't help but wonder why. I really cannot see why people would want more power for UK roads than a 1200, let alone the current 1250.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk